TKD question. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Draken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:39 pm
Alright.
So I'm a pre-black belt in TKD (Tae Kwon Do, for those of you who can't figure it out), and I've been reading a lot about it lately.
My school has the following belt ranks::

white arrow Yellow arrow Orange arrow Green arrow Blue arrow Purple arrow Brown arrow Red arrow Red1 arrow Red2 arrow Red3 arrow Pre Black arrow Black.

And In my reading of TKD, I've noticed a lot of talk about 'stripes' and there only being 5 or 6 belts.

Which is 'right' or 'traditional'.
And another question.
What's the difference between Olympic and Traditional TKD. Because I want to take Traditional, and I'm not sure exactly what I'm in. D=

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:17 pm
I'm not sure about the ranks thing but, sport TKD emphizies alot more on competitions and points, then rather techniques and defending yourself.  

Shin2

The Draken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:46 pm
Shin2
I'm not sure about the ranks thing but, sport TKD emphizies alot more on competitions and points, then rather techniques and defending yourself.

Guess I'm in Traditional.
I'm preblack and I've sparred once. ;D  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:00 pm
[draken]
Alright.
So I'm a pre-black belt in TKD (Tae Kwon Do, for those of you who can't figure it out), and I've been reading a lot about it lately.

white arrow Yellow arrow Orange arrow Green arrow Blue arrow Purple arrow Brown arrow Red arrow Red1 arrow Red2 arrow Red3 arrow Pre Black arrow Black.

And In my reading of TKD, I've noticed a lot of talk about 'stripes' and there only being 5 or 6 belts.

And another question.
What's the difference between Olympic and Traditional TKD. Because I want to take Traditional, and I'm not sure exactly what I'm in. D=

Do you know what organization your school is affiliated with?

And honestly, why would you want to learn "Traditional" TKD in the first place? The full contact form of Olympic style sparring is what makes TKD unique, if you're not doing it for the competitive aspect of TKD as a sport, then why even take TKD at all?

You're pre-black (which I assume means you've invested at the very least 3 to 5 years into training) and you don't know this much about your own martial art?  

TaeKyon

The Draken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:56 pm
TaeKyon
[draken]
Alright.

And another question.

And honestly, why would you want to learn "Traditional" TKD in the first place? The full contact form of Olympic style sparring is what makes TKD unique, if you're not doing it for the competitive aspect of TKD as a sport, then why even take TKD at all?

You're pre-black (which I assume means you've invested at the very least 3 to 5 years into training) and you don't know this much about your own martial art?

Uhm. Chung-Do-Kwan, if that helps. Kukkiwon, World Tae Kwon Do Federation(WTF)
I know /everything/ else about it, it's just this aspect I dont' know much about.

And for your question about wanting to take it.
It's because I love martial arts, and I want to learn how they were originally preformed.
Martial artists from way back when could kick any martial artists a** today.
And I want to be a good fighter, not someone who /thinks/ they're a good fighter.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:55 pm
[draken]
TaeKyon
[draken]
Alright.

And another question.

I know /everything/ else about it, it's just this aspect I dont' know much about.

It's because I love martial arts, and I want to learn how they were originally preformed.
And I want to be a good fighter, not someone who /thinks/ they're a good fighter.

Chung-Do-Kwan eh? Well that's definitely a school that claims to be traditional...Interesting that you're school is associated w/ WTF, almost oxymoronic.

Haha, "originally performed," "from way back" LMAO If by "way back" you mean 1955? You do realize Taekwondo (even so called traditional kwans such as ChungDoKwan and OhDooKwan derived ITF) is only about 50 years old. The historical connection between TKD and Taekkyon/Subak and Hwarang society of ancient Silla is very loosely based (more inspired ancestors than conserved traditions). If you honestly think ChungDoKwan or any form of TKD is really centuries old, you need to do a bit more objective research on the matter. Historically speaking, if you really wanted to learn how TKD was taught originally (in the mid 50's since that's when they were formed) you should be learning Shotokan Karate since TKD was practically a korean conversion of the japanese art in the earliest days...That or if you were actually interested in ancient korean martial arts you'd do your best to find a school that teaches the folk art of Taekkyon (good luck w/ that if you live anywhere outside of Korea tho). Thus why I always wonder why people are so proud to be learning so called "traditional TKD" when there's nothing really all that unique about "traditional TKD," it's Shotokan Karate w/ an emphasis on kicking.

As for wanting to be a "good fighter," haha, have fun trying to adapt static or light contact sparring into an effective means of self defense or becoming a great fighter in a school that doesn't emphasize sparring or anything close to resembling a fight against a resisting opponent (and you've sparred once? I'd think someone who wants to be a better fighter would spend more time sparring). You're honestly better off learning something more practical such as Muay Thai or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or wrestling or boxing (not that any martial art guarantees you an ability to defend yourself). Something that emphasizes alive training.  

TaeKyon

The Draken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:03 pm
TaeKyon
[draken]
TaeKyon
[draken]
Alright.

And another question.

Chung-Do-Kwan eh? Well that's definitely a school that claims to be traditional...Interesting that you're school is associated w/ WTF, almost oxymoronic.

Haha, "originally performed," "from way back" LMAO If by "way back" you mean 1955? You do realize Taekwondo (even so called traditional kwans such as ChungDoKwan and OhDooKwan derived ITF) is only about 50 years old. The historical connection between TKD and Taekkyon/Subak and Hwarang society of ancient Silla is very loosely based (more inspired ancestors than conserved traditions). If you honestly think ChungDoKwan or any form of TKD is really centuries old, you need to do a bit more objective research on the matter. Historically speaking, if you really wanted to learn how TKD was taught originally (in the mid 50's since that's when they were formed) you should be learning Shotokan Karate since TKD was practically a korean conversion of the japanese art in the earliest days...That or if you were actually interested in ancient korean martial arts you'd do your best to find a school that teaches the folk art of Taekkyon (good luck w/ that if you live anywhere outside of Korea tho). Thus why I always wonder why people are so proud to be learning so called "traditional TKD" when there's nothing really all that unique about "traditional TKD," it's Shotokan Karate w/ an emphasis on kicking.

As for wanting to be a "good fighter," haha, have fun trying to adapt static or light contact sparring into an effective means of self defense or becoming a great fighter in a school that doesn't emphasize sparring or anything close to resembling a fight against a resisting opponent (and you've sparred once? I'd think someone who wants to be a better fighter would spend more time sparring). You're honestly better off learning something more practical such as Muay Thai or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or wrestling or boxing (not that any martial art guarantees you an ability to defend yourself). Something that emphasizes alive training.

By 'long time ago' I meant different arts.
Yeah. I can take 2, I guess. but idk.

Actually, I would love to spar, but my school hardly ever spars.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:44 am
[draken]

This is definately a sign that you should LEAVE that school.  

Keyboard Warrior

Shuma-Gorath

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:04 am
Keyboard Warrior
[draken]

Keyboard is right. If you want to spar, you're going to have to find a school that spars on a regular basis. And from the looks of it, the school that you're going to isn't the choice for someone who wants to improve as a Martial Artist.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:24 am
Shuma-Gorath
Keyboard Warrior
[draken]

Keyboard is right. If you want to spar, you're going to have to find a school that spars on a regular basis. And from the looks of it, the school that you're going to isn't the choice for someone who wants to improve as a Martial Artist.

Really.
I'm not leaving my school.
I love it.
Sparring isn't even important to me.
I'm just saying I want to, but we dont.
Alright?
Alright.  

The Draken

Roninofthewest

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:32 am
Its a pain going to a new school. When I first walked into my dojo I didnt know anyone and felt a little out of place. I warmed up to the place after a few days but its still nerve wrecking to step into somplace new. If you like where your're at stick with it. If you really want to spare, talk to the others at your dojo and see if they want to on their own time. Or spend some time learning a different art. Theres nothing wrong with learning a different art to help round out your skills.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:34 am
[draken]
Shuma-Gorath
Keyboard Warrior
[draken]

Really.
I love it.
Alright?
Alright.
Well then, if sparring isn't important to you, you're not going to become a competent Martial Artist. AND NO ONE SAID YOU HAVE TO LEAVE YOUR SCHOOL. We just made the observation that your school is not optimal. If anything, we were encouraging you to find other training besides your TKD.  

Shuma-Gorath

TaeKyon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:22 am
[draken]
Shuma-Gorath
Keyboard Warrior
[draken]

Really.
I love it.
Alright?
Alright.

If you like your school, that's fine. Just know that realistically, if you aren't incorporating alive training (as I suggested in the other thread) or full contact sparring, you likely aren't going to know how to fight very well. If you still want to be able to "fight" then you should either search for another martial art to study later on or cross train in another art.

As for wanting to spar more, take it up w/ your instructor. Tell him you're interested in sparring or try to see if any of the other students are interested in sparring after class or whatever. An instructor should be able to cater to the interests of his students.

Again, I still don't quite see why you would want to keep learning TKD if you aren't learning Olympic style TKD, after everything I said in the other thread and your own "epiphany." I understand however if you're bound by contract or have already paid for the classes in advance, in which case make the most out of it; TKD is good for a begining martial art (a gateway into other martial arts) at the very least.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:09 pm
I read that all belts were white, and as the more you worked and trained the dirtyer they got until you trained long enough and got a black belt, they took that idea and used it in a rank system, cool hu?  

Uriko1.0

Keyboard Warrior

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:42 pm
Uriko1.0
I read that all belts were white, and as the more you worked and trained the dirtyer they got until you trained long enough and got a black belt, they took that idea and used it in a rank system, cool hu?

This is a martial arts urban legend. It just doesn't make sense with how neat and clean the Japanese(as well as the majority of Asians) liked everything. A dirty garment just wouldn't be tolerated.  
The United Martial Artists Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff