Welcome to Gaia! ::

Why Not?

Back to Guilds

No rules, just Fun! Join today. 

Tags: Roleplaying, Polls, Spam 

Reply "CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!
Welcome to Why Not (Great reading material for new members!)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:35 pm
User Image

Welcome to "Why Not?"! We're so glad you've decided to join us here at one of Gaia's fastest-growing and insanely-popular guild! biggrin

If you're curious about why you were invited, please click here. It should answer any questions you may have. whee

The following posts will give you a little more information in general about the guild.

Includes the Following:
*Meet the Crew
*About the Subforums
*Guild Affiliation and Banners
*The "Rules" - Why Not Code of Etiquette
*How to Become Crew
*A Little Bit of History
*Where to First?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:36 pm
Meet The Crew

Zphal - Captain

User Image

I've been captain of this place pretty much since its foundation in 2006. My SO and I used to co-run it, until he quit Gaia in 2007.
I'm fairly active in the guild and on Gaia in general. My favorite things are writing, drawing, videogames and karate.
I'm in my late twenties and am pretty chill overall. I go by Z.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Mama Ame - Vice Captain

User Image

Hi everyone! I'm Ame. I'm 27. I'm married with two kids. I love Supernatural, My Little Pony, reading, and Frozen.

Wellwisher - Vice Captain

I'm 25 years old. I am at home job hunting in Minnesota. I, am a Korean adoptee. I've graduated with a bachelors degree in psychology. I, often have gaia on, but have a lot of other things that I do. The other things that I like doing would be playing games, hanging out with my friends, watching movies, normal things. Mostly I'll be in the CIF. I'm usually around for any questions.

SuicidalSkittles - Crew

User Image

My name is Ashley, but you can call me Skittles. I have a crazy obsession with make up. I love love love Sushi and Penguins. heart I'm almost always online, but I'm usually doing other stuff (XBox) Quoting me gets my attention. Sometimes.

Saikii - Crew

Hey! I'm Saikii! Nice to meet you! A few years ago, I was a member of the crew and now I'm back which really gets me excited! According to other Whynotians, I have a lot of Why Not sisters (like Okami)! But... that's not to say they're all Okami... unless she's just really good at disguises and I don't know about it yet. -grins and glances uneasily at Okami- Like she says, I'm around A LOT (especially when video games aren't distracting me)! My favorite things are my boyfriend, anime, Friendship is Magic, Doctor Who, media shopping, going to movies, plushies, home-made forts, Tumblr, fashion, and Japan (which is my Paradise Falls).

Okami Ameras - Crew

Hello! I'm Okami Ameras, everyone calls me Okami. whee My favorite games are Okami (duh) Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper... Hehe. I'll be hanging arounf CIF, and I'm sometimes the only one hanging around. =0 me and Saikii anyway. Looking forward to helping make Why Not? The best guild ever!

Officially Skepty - Crew

User Image

I used to be really popular around here a long time ago. Then I left. Then I came back six years later. Then I left again. Then I came back again five years after that. All you need to know about me is that I like a good pair of socks.

Strideo - Crew

User Image

Hello! I live in Atlanta, Georgia and I'm usually online between 8:00am to 6:00pm EST on weekdays and possibly at random on weekends. I like watching anime on monday nights with my friends, watching horror movies on thursday nights with my friends, walking around my neighborhood, playing video games, and reading. Some of my favorite stuff: Suikoden II, Fatal Frame II, VAST, Macross, Lost in Translation, and SNES. Some things that bother me are traffic, people who don't know when to get off their cell phones, and Bratz (yes, those dolls). I also work on staff for an anime convention, Anime Weekend Atlanta, where I work in the Video Art Track. Feel free to PM me if you need anything!

Nadian - Crew

Greetings! I am Nadian! I live in Round Rock, Texas and graduated from the nearby University Of Texas with a BS in Computer Science (3.9 overall GPA.) I currently work during the week and play video games (+watch anime) on the weekend, making my Gaia posting unpredictable, but it's frequent enough. I watch anime... a lot of it. As of this writing my collection is just over 1000 DVD volumes. I also donate a good amount of money to Gaia each month, leaving a handleful of letters for charitable sales here in the guild. (See shop in the SOA forum.) Don't bother looking for me by avatar; it changes almost daily

Jackalope2 - Crew

User Image

Heyo everyone. I'm Jackalope2, or Jack for short of course. Like Zphal, I'm a fan(atic) of the color green and will almost always be sporting an avi with it. Beware me during St. Patrick's day. mrgreen I've been a member of Why Not since the first month it was open for viewing, but it's only been within the past four months or so that I've started getting actively involved again. Right now I'm enrolled at the local community college but don't quite know where I want to go with it... I guess I'll post more details when I actually figure them out. sweatdrop As for my hobbies though, I like to play video games, eat ramen, fiddle with things in Photoshop and Illustrator, do woodworking when I can, post on Gaia of course... That's the most important stuff I can think of off the top of my head. But yeah.. I'm a Jack of all Trades, so if you need something give me a holler. I can usually point you in the right direction. Have fun in Why Not?! ^^

-Vagtastic- - Crew

User Image

Hellow everyone! My name is Nannerz. I live in Grand Forks, North Dakota with my hubbie Jon while he goes to flight school. I am 22 years old. I enjoy visiting with my friends, making friends here and anywhere, playing on gaia, playing some video games and some computer games, I also enjoy going to the movies . I am gernerally on everyday when I can get around my work schedual. Ehhh......Thats about it, but if you would like to know more about me all you need to do is ask! :3

LatteGrande - Crew

Hi there, and welcome to the Guild! If you have made it this far, congrats, you actually care! Anyway, some info about myself. I am in my early twenties, I am a big guy (in most possible meanings). I happen to be mixed but that is of no matter. I enjoy videogames, some would even say a bit to much. I play loads of TF2, if you happen to play that as well, My name on steam is the same on here. I tend to be on whenever, but I have taken to lurking rather than posting. If you ever have any questions about the guild, feel free to ask!

Hiddochi Wolf - Crew

User Image

Greetings! I go by Hiddo for short, and I am from southeastern Michigan. I am 19 years old and currently a sophomore in college, studying Mechanical Computer Engineering with a concentration in Robotics & Automation. My ultimate goal is to one day work in the robotics division of the space program, designing all those awesome Mars rovers and whatnot. Some of my interests/hobbies include metalsmithing, crafting, reading, creative writing/role playing, building things, and learning about computers and machine intelligence. I have been a relatively active member of Why Not since late 2007, and I'm super happy to call this place my online home. smile I hope you'll enjoy it just as much as I have!

Prof. Moonie - Crew

Greetings and salutations! I hail from the Pacific Northwest. When I'm not working, I am often cosplaying, reading, or catching up on my favorite shows (such as Supernatural, Doctor Who, and Sherlock). I'm quite creative and enjoy engaging in said activities, including writing ((I have a Bachelors in English [with a Creative Writing focus])), drawing, painting, and photography. I have been here with Why Not for quite some time and claim it as my one and only guild home.

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:39 pm
About the Subforums

"IDT" Intelligent Discussion User Image

Got something really cool to share and want to make a lively disscusion with someone? Well, the disscusion subforum is for you! It's the place to post something you find noteworthy or entertaining and want to share with others to debate, argue, or whatever else! We've got a lot of interesting and/or controversial topics, so you won't get bored here!

~~~

User Image "YCQ" Your Cool Quests

Got a Quest? Post 'em in the Quests subforum. A good place to get attention and possibly some way past cool donators! You might even help a fellow Why Not-er out yourself and bump their quest thread!

~~~

"RPC" Roleplay Central User Image

If you enjoy roleplaying, you can do that here in Why Not. Either start your own fun roleplay with rules and a unique local, or join in on all or a few of the roleplays started by others. There are literally pages of many unique roleplays here and sure to be one for you!

~~~

User Image "CAL" Contests and Lotto

Interested in winning some gold or an item or two? There's always cool contests being hosted in and out of Why Not. Check out this subforum to find some contests ready for the winning!

~~~

"COS" Can O Spam User Image

Ah yes, spam. Even the most sensible and intelligable of us like to sometimes go a little crazy and spam our heads off. And, the Can O Spam is just the place to do it. It's the craziest, wackiest, frenzynessest, spamoliciousest subforum in "Why Not!"

~~~

User Image "PDF" Philosphy Discussions subForum

Got a thing for the more philosphical side of life? This is the place for you. Discuss with others about your own philosphy, or learn about someone else's. Remember to be open and friendly!

~~~

"SPS" Strictly Polls Specifically User Image

Polling is a fast and easy way to make gold. As you can see, there are many polls available for you to take right now. I encourage others to make polls as well for other's benefits. ^_^ Also be sure to check out my "never ending" poll, which links hundreds of polls conviently together!

~~~

User Image "TDX" Tails Doll X - ALB's Video-Gaming Subforum

Love videogames, have a favorite? Share your gaming experiences, cheats, fun facts or whatever. Find a fellow lover of your videogames and have a blast!

~~~

"SOA" Shops and Other Advertising User Image

It's always good to get a little traffic, so if you've got a guild or art shop, etc., feel free to post a link to it in this subforum. Maybe while you're at it, you'll find a cool shop that you'll wanna check out yourself as well!

~~~

User Image "OGS" Official Guild Stuff

Interested in checking out our banners? How about watching all the old animations? Maybe you've got some feedback for the guild that you'd like the crew to see, or maybe you just have a question about something about the guild. This is the place!

~~~

"CDCECI" Center for the Display of Creative Endeavors by Creative Individuals User Image

Got some cool artwork you want to share with others? Maybe a poem or a fanfiction? Or a movie or comic? Whatever it is, display your creative side here, as well as comment on others' work!

~~~

User Image "YMS" Your Music Station

We all have a love for music of some kind or another. Come to the Music Station to express your favorite tunes! Post lyrics or band pics or whatever, and have fun!

~~~

"ALI" Advice for Life Issues User Image

Life gets rough for any of us in this world, but if you're not sure what to do, where to turn, or maybe you just want a little company, this is the place to come to get advice, consolement, and anything else you may need. There are plenty of friendly people here in Why Not, so don't be scared to let us know what's on your mind.

~~~

User Image "BTPO" Bumping Threads, Personal and Otherwise

Bumping is posting, but with a single thing in mind. Raising your post count, or counting as high as you can, just because! Bumping also raises threads to the top of a page, so if you like a particular thread a lot, sometimes bumping it is fun. Usually people who create quest threads need "bumpers" or people who bump! Check out Why Not's Official Bump Thread, or create your own bump thread just for yourself.

~~~

"GAH" Games And Hangouts User Image

Like games such as Vending Machine, Roll the Dice, or Word games? How about links to fun flash games on the internet? Whatever your savvy, you'll find something fun to do here!

~~~

User Image "SEF" Sports, Exercise, and Fitness

Like sports and related things? Check out this subforum!

~~~

"WYH" What's Your Hobby? User Image

Most of us think of stamp collecting when you say the word hobby, but hobbies aren't limited to stamp collecting. Whether you collect something, play a sport, or do any other crazy thing that's a hobby, express it here! Maybe you'll find someone who shares your hobby, or maybe everyone will just think your hobby is weird!

~~~

User Image "FLC" Foreign Languages and Cultures

Got an interest in language? Can you read, write, or speak another language? Show off your skills in this subforum, or find a friend who speaks a language you do! Maybe you'll even learn a new word or two!

~~~

"WNB" Why Not Blogs User Image

Feel like sharing a little bit of your days events or feelings with the world of Why Not? Then start a blog and give us an update! Or read what others have to say!

~~~

User Image "WNW" Why Not World

This is a unique subforum that hosts interesting events from time to time. I won't tell you all its secrets, you'll just have to stick around to find out yourself!

~~~

"QOE" Quizzes and Other Entertainment User Image

This is the place to find links to online quizzes and you may learn something about yourself or your friends!

~~~

User Image "SEH" Special Events and Happenings

Also home to the "Why Not Mansion," this is the subforum where many of the posting based events happen in Why Not. Both the 2006 and 2007 Tektek prom were held there.

~~~

"TMT" Truly Memorable Threads User Image

Why Not has been in existance for over a year and we've got a lot of memorable threads from exclusive events to everyday amusements in this subforum. Check out some of the madness and love that is Why Not!

~~~

User Image "FLDBAO" For the Love of Desu - Books, Anime, and Others

Anime. Anime anime anime! If you love anime, this is the subforum for you! Also, talk about your favorite books and such.

~~~

"AHD" Avatar and Homes Discussion User Image

Rate my avi! Check out my house! Look at my cool new profile! Vote for my in the arena! If you want feedback on your personalized Gaia stuff, this is the place. Or if you're just curious to check out what others have done, you should stop by here as well.

~~~

User Image "WNN" Why Not News

Newsflash! Did a giant cockroach just walk through your hometown? Well, we wanna know! Post your top stories here, or read the wild and wacky stories of others!

~~~

"SSS" Super Secret Subforum User Image

I said it was a secret! Okay, fine, its the crew's hangout area. Anything we want to talk about, planning upcoming events, discussing evil members, or just goofing off, is what generally goes on around here. We've got our eyes on you!

~~~

User Image "TFC" The Food Court

I don't know about you, but I personally love to eat. If you love to eat too, or if you just get a kick out of talking about eating, you better check this subbie out. Also, you apparently never know when a giant food fight is going to break out...

~~~

"DDD" Development, Deliberation, and Discussion User Image

This is where the crew builds and plans special events that go on in Why Not. No, you can't have a sneak peak!

~~~

User Image"EGG" Electronics, Gizmos and Gadgets

Like talking about technological things? Get your groove on here and chit-chat about technology and gadgets!

~~~

"???" Random Subforum User Image

Holy cow! You just never know what this subbie is going to be one week to the next.

~~~

User Image "NEW" New Subforum?

What's the next big subforum bound to hit Why Not? Help us decide! Click here to give us your idea!

~~~

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:48 pm
Guild Affiliation and Banners

If you would like to take a look at our current banners, made by us and our cool members, follow this link.

As for animated banners, if you'd like more information, please click here.

If you wish to affiliate your own guild with Why Not, as many guilds have (see homepage), then there's just a couple simple steps.

PM zphal_girl87 (the captainess) with your request to affiliate with Why Not, and provide a banner and a link to your guild. I will check it out and approve it to make sure its a guild we are willing to support (basically anything that doesn't violate ToS), then send you a response PM with Why Not's guild banner. Place Why Not's banner and link in your guild's homepage, and I'll put yours on Why Not's homepage. This both signals that we are affiliates, and will get more members to traffic your guild.

New Restrictions on Affiliation:
To become an affiliate, you must have either at least 1000 members in your guild, or have at least 10,000 posts. It is unfortunate this restriction has to be instated, but the swelling number of guilds has made this a must. There have been too many lazy captains asking only because they hope being on the home page will automatically make them popular. At Why Not we respect active effort, so for now we will "reward" only these. Again, my apologies to the respectable owners of smaller guilds.

If you are Not Qualified for Affiliation:
You still have an option to benefit from Why Not? No matter your guild's size or post count, you can become a Guild Subsidiary. This just means we advertise your guild in an Announcement thread in our SOA. While it does not provide the same kind of visibility as the homepage, it should still help. Please go to this thread to get more information. smile

Please also note that clans are not guilds, and therefore are not qualified for affiliation or subsidiary status. Thank you.  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:00 pm
What About the Rules?

On a lot of guild homepages, the first thing you'll find is a long list of numbered rules. I'm warning you right now that here at Why Not, you're not going to find those. That's because Why Not isn't about power, control, or being exclusive, Why not is about freedom. Freedom of speech, freedom of belief, and freedom of fun. Rules tend to make a person feel pressured and/or restricted- but all we want is for you to be yourself. heart

Although, one assumption is made when you join Why Not, and it is one that is common sense. Be respectful of others. That means everyone, whether they are your friends, someone you just met, newbies, or the crew. Everyone has a different outlook on life, different opinons, or things that they enjoy. At Why Not, we like to celebrate this diversity, because otherwise everyone would be the same, and that would be pretty boring!

Why Not Code of Etiquette  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:02 pm
How to Become Crew:

There are three steps, put briefly, activity, friendliness, and respect. A further breakdown of these necessary steps:

1. Activity. You have to have been in the guild for at least a few months, and/or have gotten to know the current crew and members well. You must be a "regular" or someone who commonly posts or chats with the current members and enjoys hanging around the Why Not atmosphere. Usually one should have at least 1000 posts before they will be likely to receive a promotion. The more posts, the better.

2. Friendliness. You have to be nice, as well as helpful and courteous to the current members and crew. You will "score points" by doing things like welcoming new members, helping answer questions about the guild, and being cool to others. If you're a fun person to be around and people like you, you're more likely to become crew.

3. Respect. This is perhaps the hardest step, but one of the most vital. You must have the proper Why Not attitude. This includes the friendliness and activity, but goes a step further. You have to have proven, through your actions, that you care about the guild as a community, as well as the individual people inside it. You must show a desire to see Why Not furthered as a great place for people to join, chat, and hang out, and must work to try and accomplish the goals that will help the guild grow and flourish- not just in size or greatness, but in attitude and justice as well.

A few helpful hints:

*Don't ask to be crew. It won't happen.
*Don't go trying to prove or point out you've "successfully" completed the three necessary steps. We're crew, and we're watching everyone. We'll know if you're truly ready or prepared enough to become crew.
*If you think the three steps aren't appropriate, too bad.
*No, we don't care how much gold you may or may not have. We're capable of making our own gold and we would NEVER accept any sort of bribe. This guild means way too much to me and everyone else.
*We won't make you crew in our guild if you try to make us crew in yours.  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:03 pm
A Little Bit of History

Why Not's beginnings were humble. Which is not to say that we aren't still humble, but that we've just grown in size. A lot.

The guild bought from another member, and was "christened" Why Not on March 9th, 2006. On March 12th, 2006, the guild became viewable to the public, and the captains, Khalida Nyoka and Zphal started inviting new users to the guild.

Slowly, the guild began to grow, and by the three month mark, Why Not had found its way onto the front page. Our Vice Captains, Askeptykal, Pulga, Le.Lingy (also known as LingMing), and Strideo were promoted to crew during this time period and have been serving dutifully and wonderfully ever since!

In June of 2006, Why Not hosted its first Tektek Prom, and it followed up the next year in 2007 with its Second Annual Tektek Prom, which was an even bigger blast than the last.

By the end of a year, Why Not had over 25,000 members.

Due to college and other interests, Khalida Nyoka resigned his position as dual-captain and gave the guild entirely to his spouse, Zphal, who is the current owner and operator.

Currently the guild stands as the 1st guild in the Gaian registry!  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:42 pm
Where to First?

Obviously if you're new, it might be a little intimidating or even confusing as to where you're at in the guild. First off, I'm going to say, don't sweat it. Even if you feel a little lost now, if you just check a few things out, you'll start to know you're way around the place pretty well. Next thing you know, you'll be helping other newbies to the guild around!

But in case you don't know what to do first, here's a few things I might suggest!

"Why Not" Introduce Yourself? ^_^ - This main forum thread is a place for new members to Why Not to post their first hellos. Tell us a little about yourself, or just say hi. Also you're totally welcome to post a new message in the main forum saying you're new. We'll happily welcome you!

"Why Not" Post Your Pics? - Not everyone likes to post pictures of themself, but this is a pretty popular thread. Show off the real you, or check out others too!

"Why Not" post your Birthday? - This is a fun one too. Post your birthday and we'll add you to our big Why Not birthday list. It's literally huge. See who else shares your birthday!

"YCQ" Your Cool Quests Subforum - This is one of Why Not's more popular subforums. Go ahead and create a new thread with your quest, or check out other people's cool quests.

Why Not Try and Type your Username with Your Elbows? - This thread is sooo much fun. It's just what it says it is. Try typing your username with your elbows and see how good- or bad- you can do. Make sure to laugh at the others attempts too, it's always fun to laugh!

"Why Not" Rate the avi above you!!! - A fun place to get a quick rating on your current avi and rate others too! Fast paced, and growing strong.

In the Arena? POST HERE and Get Votes! biggrin - If you've currently got an entry in the Arena, you can go ahead and post a link to it here and get some votes from members.  

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100

Zphal
Captain

Shameless Humorist

24,750 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:21 pm
Note: This topic is locked, so you won't be able to post.

This new, long-awaited, updated announcement is now officially open! *cuts ribbon*  
"CIF" Crikey! It's a Forum~!

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games