Reply The United Martial Artists Guild
Who inspires/ inspired you? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:22 am
I want to know who inspired you to join in martial arts, or who still inspires you.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:25 am
Okay, me...?

I am currently inspired by members of my club, like most people here, but who was I inspired by to join?

I joined because my Dad wanted me to know self-defence, but i wanted to join to be like....DONT ANYONE LAUGH! Austin St.John, unfamilliar with the name? Red ranger from the Power Rangers! How silly is that! I was only 6/7 at the time btw!

I was also inspired by Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles especially Mikey!

Does anyone else have any silly idols from when they first joined?  

Mangafairy

Roninofthewest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:05 am
lol, yeah i watched those cartoons when i was a kid too. I thought it was cool but i really wasnt inspired by them so to speak.
I idolize the MMA fighters like Chuck Ludell, Gracie, Shamrock, and Randy Courture. Im also inspired by the hard core fighters at our dojo and especially the Shihan.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:46 am
I'm inspired by my own team mates, other american wushu practitioners, and the infamous beijing atheletes biggrin  

ghostpalm

Doctor_Strange

4,800 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:37 pm
I originally got into martial arts for compettative reasons, and so I found a highschool that had a Kuk-Sool-Won class. but as I began to learn i found that Kuk-Sool (and all martial arts for that matter) is not about who is the better fighter instead i found that with more techniques and forms I must learn restraint and respect to go along with it. eventually Kuk-Sool became apart of my life...
sooo....a ltiile long winded but I guess you could say that for me Martial arts was sort of a self inspired thing for me  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:38 pm
For me it started with T.V. shows and movies but when I turned 14 It just seemed really cool and decided to take Choy Li Fut.  

Shin2

Mangafairy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:21 am
AWESOME! biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:14 pm
Ninja killed my family, so martial arts was the only way I could avenge their deaths.  

Keyboard Warrior

TaeKyon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:29 pm
Keyboard Warrior
Ninja killed my family, so martial arts was the only way I could avenge their deaths.

LMAO  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:08 pm
ninja  

Shin2

Bruce Lee52

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:09 pm
The wise words of Bruce Lee inspired me to do martial arts and not being able to defend myself.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:59 pm
No one really inspired me I liked fighting as a kid after watching what people could do I wanted to learn more. Mostly every thing I knew came from actually fighting and books also from t.v. and movies but I wanted to find a school and so did my friend so we took TKD. Half way through the first semester he quit and well every one was older than me and I didn't have any one my age to talk to so I didn't like it much after that. I didn't feel I could quit my mom payed for it so I stayed later close to the end of the semester we sparred and I beat the crap out of someone older and twice my size just fighting as I always had. I lost I was told that my techniques were illegal at that time and we were fighting for points I had no idea we were following any rules I was just a kid and I never heard any one say any thing about what we could or couldn't do. It blew my mind and I never went back also during the grading every one was watching me I have major stage fright I quit during the grading and didn't finish so I never earned a belt in TKD. To this day I will not perform in front of people I never go to demonstrations it bothers me a lot. Strange thing is I can have someone ask me about stuff and teach a group of people things no problem when were just talking and they ask me a question but I have a hard time getting up in front of a class to teach. My friend John says I am a show off yet I hate being watched while I practice I practice alone while at home in my room or in the garage.  

Wolf Nightshade
Vice Captain

stardaughterofwind

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:28 pm
Hmmmm....I dunno the exact reason that i joined. There are so many that tis hard to pinpoint the exact one. But growing up I used to always walk past the karate studio that I go to now and wish that I could do karate and stuff. So s'pose that that's part of it. I have four sisters and I want to be able to protect them. Those reasons and I've just always thought that the martial arts are really cool and was really curious. When my best friend joined I finally just said, 'hey why not?' and joined.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:59 am
stardaughterofwind
Hmmmm....I dunno the exact reason that i joined. There are so many that tis hard to pinpoint the exact one. But growing up I used to always walk past the karate studio that I go to now and wish that I could do karate and stuff. So s'pose that that's part of it. I have four sisters and I want to be able to protect them. Those reasons and I've just always thought that the martial arts are really cool and was really curious. When my best friend joined I finally just said, 'hey why not?' and joined.

That's like me but the other way around, I joined and then my best friend did, but she left when our club closed and we had to go into adult classes.  

Mangafairy

Kitsune_Moon230

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:00 pm
I'd say Bruce Lee. Watching him, made me feel like I could accomplish anything. Still does even to this day. That and my parents. My dad is a black belt, mom is a Brown. Listening to the stories of when they were younger in Martial Arts encouraged me to do it for myself.  
The United Martial Artists Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff