Reply Pro-Choice Gaians
The Bible isn't pro-life so stop saying it is! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PersephoneMediocris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:34 am
Have any of these 'lifers actually read the Bible? Abortion isn't even mentioned in the entire book! Not once. There's nothing at all pro-life in the entire Bible. It talks out against a man harming a woman and causing her to miscarry, but that's not abortion! That wasn't the woman's choice and I agree that it should be a crime. It really pisses me off that Christian pro-lifers say that their religion is against abortion, because it's not! That's like me saying the Bible is against computers when everyone knows there aren't any computers in the Bible.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:37 am
They should also think about the reason why their God (if they believe) made herbs that would allow a woman to induce an abortion.

"God says it's wrong!"
"God gave us the tools to do it!"
"..."

Tsk tsk.. neutral  

The_Thread _Reaper

KoopaTroopa18

Dapper Gekko

5,100 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:12 am
Yay for hypocrites! stare  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:21 am
Yeah, I have yet to come across that part in the Bible where it says "Aborshun is wrong!!!!111!1one"

The penalty for causing a woman to miscarry was only a small fine. The penalty for killing a pregnant woman was death. In all actuality the Bible favors the born woman's life over an unborn fetus's. If the fetus was worth more I'm sure they would have given a death penalty for causing a miscarriage back in those days.

So anyways, if people tell me that the Bible says it's wrong I just ask where it says that in the Bible.  

SterileNeedles

PersephoneMediocris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:02 am
SterileNeedles
Yeah, I have yet to come across that part in the Bible where it says "Aborshun is wrong!!!!111!1one"

The penalty for causing a woman to miscarry was only a small fine. The penalty for killing a pregnant woman was death. In all actuality the Bible favors the born woman's life over an unborn fetus's. If the fetus was worth more I'm sure they would have given a death penalty for causing a miscarriage back in those days.

So anyways, if people tell me that the Bible says it's wrong I just ask where it says that in the Bible.

They always point you in the 'Thou Shall Not Kill' direction, even though that line is very unspecific.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:06 am
PersephoneMediocris
They always point you in the 'Thou Shall Not Kill' direction, even though that line is very unspecific.

That line isn't even close to being the absolute they claim it to be.

The Bible advocates killing in quite a few situations. Women who commit adultery, for example. Offspring who disobey their parents, for another. It's a "thou shalt not" - but the Bible is riddled with "ifs" and "buts" for it.  

Akhakhu

Half Baked SF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:11 am
PersephoneMediocris
SterileNeedles

Which is supposed to be "murder," not kill. And I dare any bible-thumpers to come up with any verse that separates killing from murder.

Then they try to asrgue that as long as the victim has not committed a sin, then killing is a-okay. They finally go silent when I ask if I can kill them.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:12 pm
The crusades were built upon the precept that God WANTS you to kill people who do not believe in Him. There were other factors as well, of course. But this was the religious justification.

Now I ask you, how can a fetus, who cannot think at all, believe in God? Therefore Medieval theology DEMANDS that we abort. It's what God wants.  

Akhakhu

PersephoneMediocris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:22 pm
Kukushka
The crusades were built upon the precept that God WANTS you to kill people who do not believe in Him. There were other factors as well, of course. But this was the religious justification.

Now I ask you, how can a fetus, who cannot think at all, believe in God? Therefore Medieval theology DEMANDS that we abort. It's what God wants.

The crusades were to gain money and property, religion was just an excuse. I don't believe God wants you to kill people who don't believe in him. What the church did in medieval times had nothing to do with religion, it was all based on money. At one point the Pope tried to get people to pay him to go to heaven.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:52 pm
I DID say "that was the religious justification."

And yes, I know that what people were able to claim was "biblical" and "what God wanted" in Medieval times is now largely considered to be horrifically misguided. That was intentional. If you think about it a while, I am sure you will see my point.

There was NOTHING in the Bible to concretely back up the crusades - yet many religious authorities acted like/believed that there were. This is exactly what is happening now. There is NOTHING in the Bible to concretely denounce abortion - yet many religious authorities act like/believe that there is.

What Christian pro-lifers are doing now is EXACTLY what Christian pro-crusaders were doing then.  

Akhakhu

PersephoneMediocris

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:56 pm
Kukushka
I DID say "that was the religious justification."

And yes, I know that what people were able to claim was "biblical" and "what God wanted" in Medieval times is now largely considered to be horrifically misguided. That was intentional. If you think about it a while, I am sure you will see my point.

There was NOTHING in the Bible to concretely back up the crusades - yet many religious authorities acted like/believed that there were. This is exactly what is happening now. There is NOTHING in the Bible to concretely denounce abortion - yet many religious authorities act like/believe that there is.

What Christian pro-lifers are doing now is EXACTLY what Christian pro-crusaders were doing then.
I see your point. But back then they had things to gain from the crusades, what can they gain from getting rid of abortion? It's not like they can take all the extra kids away and sell them.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:26 pm
PersephoneMediocris
I see your point. But back then they had things to gain from the crusades, what can they gain from getting rid of abortion? It's not like they can take all the extra kids away and sell them.

I'm talking about process, not purpose.

The process is hermeneutics with an agenda. Reading the Bible with the express purpose of proving a point - rather than looking at it from an objective view and drawing conclusions from your findings.

That, and using religion as a justification for something that may not otherwise be justifiable (such as taking away property from people who legitimately own it - or taking away human rights from people who legitimately deserve them).  

Akhakhu

Joselle`Stark

Familiar Bloodsucker

10,025 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:21 pm
ping! http://ffrf.org/nontracts/abortion.php

I think a good bit of what we're saying is available in print ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:52 am
That's so true. They constantly use the "our bible is against that!" excuse for anything they don't agree with. Half of the things that go on nowdays weren't predicted, and definitely not discussed in their damn book!  

ChemicalSoiree

SterileNeedles

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 9:16 am
'Thou shalt not kill' is very vague though. Though shalt not kill what? Animals? Plants? People? It could apply to anything. And I believe that it was supposed to be 'Thou shalt not murder' as Toga said which is less vague.  
Pro-Choice Gaians

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff