Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Crikey! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lesilrok

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:47 pm
Farewell Steve Irwin I'll surely miss your crazy antics and crocodile chasing days and snake handling and any other takes that puts your life in danger for the sake of our entertainment.

here is the news and for those of you who never heard of him or watched his show or his movie. type Crocodile Hunter on Google

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/steve-irwin-killed-by-stingray/2006/09/04/1157222051512.html

Quote:
Television personality and environmentalist Steve Irwin has died after being stung by a stingray while filming off north Queensland.

Known worldwide as the Crocodile Hunter, the 44-year-old was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!''.

The Queensland Police Service issued a statement saying Mr Irwin collapsed after being stung at Batt Reef, Low Isles off Port Douglas about 11am. He had been filming a documentary.

"Steve was hit by a stingray in the chest,'' said local diving operator Steve Edmondson, whose Poseidon boats were out on the Great Barrier Reef when the accident occured.

"He probably died from a cardiac arrest from the injury,'' he said.

Police said after he stingray attack, Irwin's crew called for medical treatment at 11am and the Queensland Rescue Helicopter responded with a doctor and paramedic on board.

Puncture wound

Mr Irwin had a puncture wound to the left side of his chest and was pronounced dead at the scene.

Police said Mr Irwin's family has been advised and Irwin's body was being flown to Cairns.

It is believed his American-born wife Terri was trekking on Cradle Mountain in Tasmania when the incident happened.

Police in Tasmania say she has been informed of her husband's death.

The Irwins have two children, an eight-year-old a daughter, Bindi Sue, and a three-year-old son, Robert Clarence, usually known as Bob.

When asked if he had ever heard of anyone dying from a stingray barb Matthew Hurley, general manager of Quicksilver Group, whose company has taken tours to Low Isles for 26 years, said: "No, definitely not."

"We've never heard of or been involved with anything like that."

Ross Coleman, acting director at at University of Sydney Institute of Marine Science, told smh.com.au it was "quite rare" for someone to die from contact with a stingray and he couldn't recall hearing of another incident.

Stingrays were "dangerous if provoked", he said.

"As a recreational diving instructor you hear of people getting injured by standing on them ... but they rarely die."

Trouble over croc feeding with son

Irwin won a global following for his daredevil antics but also triggered outrage in 2004 by holding his then one-month-old baby while feeding a snapping crocodile at his Australian zoo.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer, who used a photograph of his family at Australia Zoo for his official Christmas card last year, hailed Mr Irwin for his work in promoting Australia.

Mr Irwin was heavily involved in last year's "G'Day LA'' campaign.

"The minister knew him, was fond of him and was very, very appreciative of all the work he'd done to promote Australia overseas,'' a spokesman said.

The Crocodile Hunter program was first broadcast in 1992 and has been shown around the world on cable network Discovery.

Irwin came 20th last year in BRW magazine's top 50 entertainers.

The magazine said the hugely popular Crocodile Hunter spent most of 2005 filming and launching his new television series, New Breed Vets, to appear on the pay-TV channel Animal Planet.

In February, Irwin received an award for his contribution to tourism from Tourism Australia.

Over the last 12 months, he has also expanded his Australia Zoo wildlife park on the Sunshine Coast.

Pop star Justin Timberlake last month recalled visiting the zoo on his Australian 2004 tour.

"I know he got a lot of flak, but there's something in that dude's blood, he's like one of those animals," Timberlake told the Courier Mail newspaper.

"We got in the cage and he said, 'I want to show you how the crocs hunt' . . . all of a sudden it pops out of the water, we jump back, it came up on the land and he saw how its temperament was and he told us to step back.

"He's like Dr Dolittle, for real. He knows what those crocodiles are thinking."

smh.com.au and AAP

thoughts remarks?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:32 am
I read another one of these articles and just near about cried. I loved watching the Crocodile Hunter on t.v., but what hurts the most is to know that he has 2 children he left behind. Just to think about that hurts.

I don't know my real father, but I have always had someone around who raised me and thusly became known as my father in my eyes.

R.I.P.

Steve Irwin

Yami_Ichi

Nergalitos

Celebrating Reveler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 11:07 am
I heard about that today >.o;

R.I.P

Steve Irwin.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:39 pm
Pictures will fade...

crying . Fare thee well, Crocodile Hunter.

...But memories will always
be.

[s l i n k y]

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:28 pm
I'm really sad that this happened. He's been my personal hero since I remember him first airing on Animal Planet, and is my Inspiration for what I want to do with my life(work with large reptiles).

Anyway...I'll post this here, since it is the right place to do it:

User Image

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:39 pm
I heard about this an hour after it happened, last night my time.

He sort of had it coming, you know? Though it's still sort of hard to believe that he could actually die.

I guess no one's invincible.

I sort of lost respect for him when he hanged his baby over the crocodile. I know that he was doing good for the environment, but at the same time I couldn't help but feel that the things he did during his show weren't really beneficial towards the environment. Some of the things he did really disturbed wildlife there.

Cool show to watch every once and awhile, and see how he almost killed himself that day.

It sort of reminds me of Grizzly Man, except Steve Erwin was at least qualified and not a complete idiot. Plus, a lot of what he did raised money for wildlife.

EDIT: Actually, that was a pretty unfair comparison. The Crocodile Hunter was nothing like Grizzly Man. The Grizzly man was a just plain stupid Darwin Award winner.  

Lethkhar

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:09 pm
Lethkhar

He sort of had it coming, you know? Though it's still sort of hard to believe that he could actually die.

I sort of lost respect for him when he hanged his baby over the crocodile. I know that he was doing good for the environment, but at the same time I couldn't help but feel that the things he did during his show weren't really beneficial towards the environment. Some of the things he did really disturbed wildlife there.

Cool show to watch every once and awhile, and see how he almost killed himself that day.

It sort of reminds me of Grizzly Man, except Steve Erwin was at least qualified and not a complete idiot. Plus, a lot of what he did raised money for wildlife.

EDIT: Actually, that was a pretty unfair comparison. The Crocodile Hunter was nothing like Grizzly Man. The Grizzly man was a just plain stupid Darwin Award winner.

He didn't dangle his baby over a crocodile. If you kept up with the story you would have learned three things.

He was plenty far away from the crocodile.

The contraversial photo was shot at a decieving angle, that makes it look like he was close, even though he wasn't. It is possible to take a picture of something, and due to the angle make that something look farther, or closer to other objects in the picture.

The photo was also photoshopped by zealous E-people, which futher fed the idea that he was dangling his child over the jaws of a crocodile.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:36 pm
Sanguvixen
Lethkhar

He didn't dangle his baby over a crocodile. If you kept up with the story you would have learned three things.

The contraversial photo was shot at a decieving angle, that makes it look like he was close, even though he wasn't. It is possible to take a picture of something, and due to the angle make that something look farther, or closer to other objects in the picture.

The photo was also photoshopped by zealous E-people, which futher fed the idea that he was dangling his child over the jaws of a crocodile.

Then why'd he publicly apologize for it?  

Lethkhar

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:10 pm
Lethkhar
Sanguvixen
Lethkhar

He went into the area where the croc was, and had his kid secure in his hands.

He was showing the kid the crocodile, but at the same time was not anywhere close enough for the kid to be in danger.

However, some idiots thought that it was so wrong to even enter the enclosure with the kid, that it prompted him to apologize, even though he did nothing wrong. This group of people rose a big stink out of it, and to satiate thier fury he publicly apologized. I makes me mad he did that, because he shouldn't have. He didn't do anything wrong, it was the taker of the picture, and the ones who went on to photoshop the picture that did something wrong. They are the ones who created the whole illusion by being untruthful, and dishonest.

It was blown out of preportion by the Media, and don't forget that even the taker of the picture eventually admitted that the angle he took the picture at gave a false impression, and the Steve was in fact very far away from the crocodile.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:52 am
| . . __And [i'd] g i v e up forever to to u ch you.~ ♥ . . |

Same with Leth: I learned about it very shortly after the event actually happened.

Every time this gets mentioned in class, people are always like, 'He had it coming: that stupid guy!' I never say anything, because I know it's going to start some huge, senseless debate, but I truly miss Steve already.
    I was discussing his death with a couple of my friends, and they agreed that it's kinda sad, actually. We've - most of our generation - have pretty much grown up with the Crocodile Hunter all our lives. I remember seeing his shows on Sunday afternoons when there was nothing to watch, and I even have one of his movies.

But...yes, what nearly makes me cry, as Yam said, is that he left an eight-year-old daughter and even a younger offspring behind. I can just imagine his daughter - and especially Terri - are tearing themselves up right now.

I'm sure people will mourn him properly, however.

The real challenge is continuing his zoo in his place.

If I'm right, I believe Terri owns it now?

When everything's made to be broken,

User Image
I just want you to know who I am.

Ye a h ;┼

When everything s E E ms like the mÛµvies. . .

you
{ b l e e d }
just to know
you're alive.

coppelia in the flesh

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:08 am
crying Aww, I still can't accept it... Its like... Whenever someone dies, I always have this notion that it was just a dream, or a falsification and that the next day, I'll wake up and everything will be okay again. But its not and this makes me sad. crying I liked Steve Irwin. He did a lot for the conservation effort and while, yes, he was a bit of a thrill seeker (almost to a stupid point) he still did what he did with heart. And thats what inspires so many people.

Live on Croc Hunter.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:23 pm
Sanguvixen
Lethkhar
Sanguvixen
Lethkhar

He went into the area where the croc was, and had his kid secure in his hands.

He was showing the kid the crocodile, but at the same time was not anywhere close enough for the kid to be in danger.

However, some idiots thought that it was so wrong to even enter the enclosure with the kid, that it prompted him to apologize, even though he did nothing wrong. This group of people rose a big stink out of it, and to satiate thier fury he publicly apologized. I makes me mad he did that, because he shouldn't have. He didn't do anything wrong, it was the taker of the picture, and the ones who went on to photoshop the picture that did something wrong. They are the ones who created the whole illusion by being untruthful, and dishonest.

It was blown out of preportion by the Media, and don't forget that even the taker of the picture eventually admitted that the angle he took the picture at gave a false impression, and the Steve was in fact very far away from the crocodile.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Believe what you want to believe, but those photos would take some serious doctoring to fake. Believe me, I mess with pictures all the time. I mean, they must've cut & pasted things in there, like the piece of meat.  

Lethkhar

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:13 pm
Throwing a piece of meat at a crocodile and throwing your child are two totally different things. Notice, the baby was carefully pinned against his chest. It wasn't like he was trying to straddle the croc and wrangle it while holding his child.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:45 pm
PickleBoy
Throwing a piece of meat at a crocodile and throwing your child are two totally different things. Notice, the baby was carefully pinned against his chest. It wasn't like he was trying to straddle the croc and wrangle it while holding his child.

Who said anything about throwing a child?  

Lethkhar

Aepix

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:55 pm
No one. Only dangling and holding were mentioned. However, that is definately not dangling.
And I think moving shadows around can make things look a lot closer without too much dificulty.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff