Reply Soft and Sexy
Super hero movies

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BanditBoo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:15 am
What the hell is up with all the super hero movies lately? It's getting really annoying! Why do you guys think that the movie makers seem to think all of the movie goers suddenly want to go see a movie about super heroes?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:17 pm
Well...personally, I think it is because of the fact that being a geek is fashionable. You can be geeky and not get teased so bad about it. I mean I have always thought that everyone has at least one thing that they geek out about weither it be anime, comic books, or computer games....but lately those things have been marketable and quite popular. They sell. They make tons of money. And Hollywood always likes the cash...and we geeks have cash to spend.  

Jinnari Kisaragi
Crew

Divine Spirit

The Dread Pirate Ghosty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:29 pm
I work at a movie theater (have for two years and almost four months now) and I haven't noticed it being too much worse than usual.

The vast majority of these movies are sequals to previous movies with the same characters, yet I can garuntee you from working through various movies like Batman, X-men and Superman (which all did amazing) people do want to see them. They can't get enough of them. It isn't sudden, it's proven time and time again, these heros will sell. Harry Potter and Star Wars (which I consider super hero movies, but some may not) where huge! It didn't even matter if the past few movies were any good, people went to see them anyways because the characters and the movies are loved by the public.

A lot of movies lately have been based off popular musicals, books, video games and comic books. I for one absolutely loved V for Vindetta, which is also more or less about a superhero, and based off a comic book.

I just think the vast majority of superhero movies come out in summer, romantic comedies in spring, horrors in fall, christmas-y feel good flicks in winter. There's a dash of all these in every season, but they tend to happen most in that order.

I don't see why it's annoying, though... other than I have to serve unappreciative, rude movie-goers... and lots of them because these movies are so big, and then there are the little ones to bring in a few more customers. But that's just me sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:29 am
The Dread Pirate Ghosty
I work at a movie theater (have for two years and almost four months now) and I haven't noticed it being too much worse than usual.

The vast majority of these movies are sequals to previous movies with the same characters, yet I can garuntee you from working through various movies like Batman, X-men and Superman (which all did amazing) people do want to see them. They can't get enough of them. It isn't sudden, it's proven time and time again, these heros will sell. Harry Potter and Star Wars (which I consider super hero movies, but some may not) where huge! It didn't even matter if the past few movies were any good, people went to see them anyways because the characters and the movies are loved by the public.

A lot of movies lately have been based off popular musicals, books, video games and comic books. I for one absolutely loved V for Vindetta, which is also more or less about a superhero, and based off a comic book.

I just think the vast majority of superhero movies come out in summer, romantic comedies in spring, horrors in fall, christmas-y feel good flicks in winter. There's a dash of all these in every season, but they tend to happen most in that order.

I don't see why it's annoying, though... other than I have to serve unappreciative, rude movie-goers... and lots of them because these movies are so big, and then there are the little ones to bring in a few more customers. But that's just me sweatdrop

It's just that It's like pretty much the same thing over and over again. That's what I find annoying. I guess I shouldn't talk because episode 3 was the last movie I saw.  

BanditBoo

The Dread Pirate Ghosty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:01 am
BanditBoo

It's just that It's like pretty much the same thing over and over again. That's what I find annoying. I guess I shouldn't talk because episode 3 was the last movie I saw.
I forgot to mention they're re-making a lot of old movies, as well. I don't know how everyone feels about this, I've ignored most re-makes. My co-workers talked me into seeing The Omen 666, and it was sooooo bad... I drew little sketches making fun of it the entire time. I can see how it would be annoying if you think super-hero movies are the same thing over and over, but I've come to realize that all movies are the same thing over and over.

Dreamwork's Madagascar was followed a short time later by Disney's The Wild...both about animals escaping from a zoo, in a city, if I understand correctly. I didn't see the latter, but I got the impression it was also a lot like Pixar's Finding Nemo... father loses son, father chases after son, father finds son. Actually, that plot sounds a lot like the rated R movie, Waist Deep, I believe, where the father gets tricked and his son gets kidnapped, he goes to save his son and in the process risks going back to jail due to violating his parole.

Anne Hathaway starred in The Princess Diaries (I believe that's the correct title, it's been awhile) where a average (well, slightly below-average) girl is transformed into a beautiful princess. In her new movie The Devil Wears Prada it's the same plot... average girl turns glamourous, almost loses some friends, learns a lesson.... the major difference in the movies was the setting, the reason for the transformation, and at the end of the movie the messages are different. Princess Diaries tells you that you can feel good about yourself and every girl is a princess... Prada is clearly telling that "power corrupts absolutely" and that to make it big you have to sacrifice your ideals.

I could go on and on with similarities I've seen in various movies (I've seen a lot in the past two years), but I'm sure what I've said is already boring enough sweatdrop

But superhero movies are still big, I promise you. They're some of the biggest. Depending on what you're looking for in a movie, I'm sure there's something out there for you 3nodding

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:52 pm
Just about Every Superhero movie that we've had (Fantastic Four, Spider Man, X Men, Superman Returns) and the ones that are coming (Ghost Rider, Iron Man) are actually films that have been in productions in some way shape or form.

What happened? While copyright issues keep projects in check, the advancement of special effects technology brought this films back to the screen.

In the late Eighties/Early Nineties we had the boom where most of these films were announced. And it became nothing but Copyright war after Copyright war. Especially with Fantastic Four, which led to the classic Roger Corman bootleg version.

The Same thing happened with the American Godzilla movie. From Copyright to Copyright, director to director, they didn't do it until the effects were ready.  

Newski

Naito

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:55 am
Eh it's not all bad. I'm hoping with all of these movies coming out older comic-based movies will be re-released on DVD. I really liked the 80's/90's movies of The Punisher & Captain America & of course Nick Fury of S.H.E.I.L.D.

I don't like how details on plots, origins, etc are often horrible changed or left out altogether but I guess that comes from me reading the actual comics of some of these movies. I mean the whole Gwen Stacy arc was removed from the Spider-Man movie & I would have liked to have seen Doc Ock live long enough to form the Sinister Six...

Stuff like that is why I'd like to see more original super heroes made for television & movies rather than banking off the popularity of something that's been around for 30+ years & cramming it into a 90 minute movie.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:04 am
Hey, it's more important to make a good movie then to be true to the comics.

And the Eighties/Nineties movies sucked, save for the Fantastic Four. Nick Fury was a made for TV crap fest that I loved Very much, but Generation X was a film that I thought for a long time was a bad dream.... it wasn't.... It was just a dark day for anyone vaguely intelligent.  

Newski

Naito

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:41 am
I think being true to the comic is what makes a good movie. When I knew X-Men 3 skipped the entire Phoenix Saga yet gave Jean her Phoenix/Dark Phoenix powers I refused to ever see it(among other reasons). I've only heard talk about that Fantastic Four. Never got around to seeing it.

Yeah, none of those movies had a big budget but I like the action content & Captain America had a nice amount of cheesyness. Generation X? That was that short-lived TV series loosly based off of X-Men, right? Or was that the movie(or mini-series, I forget) of teenagers that was loosly based off of X-men? I forget. I only vaguely remember either but yah, they both blew chunks. That movie wasn't all that great either though I sorta remember some of those mutants at least.

Nightman was a good comic into a series. Had terrible special effects but it had a cool opening theme & the hero drove a Plymoth Prowler when not in costume.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:22 pm
Naito
I think being true to the comic is what makes a good movie. When I knew X-Men 3 skipped the entire Phoenix Saga yet gave Jean her Phoenix/Dark Phoenix powers I refused to ever see it(among other reasons). I've only heard talk about that Fantastic Four. Never got around to seeing it.

You refused to watch X Men 3? If you had seen it, you would have realized that changing the Phoenix origin worked to it's advantage, and the movie sucked thanks to bad, stock dialog, almost no chemistry between the main characters, and events created to shock the audience instead of further the story line.

Quote:
Yeah, none of those movies had a big budget but I like the action content & Captain America had a nice amount of cheesyness.

And as bad movies they work very vell. The Fantastic Four unreleased movie was perfect as a fun adventure and a bad movie, which is why it stands out above the rest.

Also, the Thing looked Grotesque. They didn't do that in the new one. Just minor changes to the original character design in each. The low budget film is better.
Quote:
Generation X? That was that short-lived TV series loosly based off of X-Men, right? Or was that the movie(or mini-series, I forget) of teenagers that was loosly based off of X-men? I forget. I only vaguely remember either but yah, they both blew chunks. That movie wasn't all that great either though I sorta remember some of those mutants at least.

Generation X was a made for TV movie based off the X Men spinoff comic. It had one good thing: My favorite X Men Character was one of the main character. Yay! Banshee!

It lead to Mutant X, which was made after all plans for a Generation X TV show had been scrapped. Thing is, while the TV movie sucked a weekly series would have allowed for much improvement.  

Newski

The Dread Pirate Ghosty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:59 pm
I personally enjoyed the X-men movie, although I made fun of it quite a bit throughout. But I do that quite a lot throughout most movies. But I did hear a lot of the comics fans say they disliked it.

I do try to keep in mind that it is probably very difficult to write a screenplay that remains true to the original media and transfers well to the big screen, though. Especially if you want people to sit through the entire thing.

Personally, I thought Fantastic Four was alright... it's just not really my thing. I was floored today when I heard that they were making sequal, I thought it was mediocre... But then my co-worker assured me Jessica Alba is worth the sequal sweatdrop

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:09 am
The Dread Pirate Ghosty

I do try to keep in mind that it is probably very difficult to write a screenplay that remains true to the original media and transfers well to the big screen, though. Especially if you want people to sit through the entire thing.

Actually, it really isn't, unless it's something complicated like the Phoenix Saga or Death and Return of Superman.

The problem is fanboy nitpickers who will point out every subtle difference. Who cares if, in Daredevil, Kingpin was the one who killed Murdock's father? That's a minor change that is not worth getting upset over (I can name a few things to get upset over with that movie).

One thing that Superhero movies do is they fall in "the Realism" trap and try to make them seem more realistic and less fantasy. For Batman, it definitely works. For Daredevil, it did not. They tried it with the first X Men, and now most people think the second on is superior.

Spiderman has yet to fall into the realism trap. Producers think that fans want realism in Superhero films... Bryan Singer was told to do that with Superman returns. He didn't. THe movie was excellent.  

Newski

Naito

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:14 pm
Kamen Rider Black

You refused to watch X Men 3? If you had seen it, you would have realized that changing the Phoenix origin worked to it's advantage, and the movie sucked thanks to bad, stock dialog, almost no chemistry between the main characters, and events created to shock the audience instead of further the story line.

And as bad movies they work very vell. The Fantastic Four unreleased movie was perfect as a fun adventure and a bad movie, which is why it stands out above the rest.

Also, the Thing looked Grotesque. They didn't do that in the new one. Just minor changes to the original character design in each. The low budget film is better.

Generation X was a made for TV movie based off the X Men spinoff comic. It had one good thing: My favorite X Men Character was one of the main character. Yay! Banshee!

It lead to Mutant X, which was made after all plans for a Generation X TV show had been scrapped. Thing is, while the TV movie sucked a weekly series would have allowed for much improvement.

Nah. Without the Phoenix Saga they skipped the Shi'ar Empire & ultimatly the Starjammers entirely. I like Cosair too much for him to be passed over like that. Yeah, the chemistry was horrid. Is it me or did Jean seem to be more in love with Wolverene than Cyclops? Another reason I refused to see it, Cyclops is my favorite core member of the X-men & his character's treatment in these three movies is just awful.

Banshee was in that? He's a favorite of mine too but I don't recall him being in it. Then again, as I said I don't remember a whole lot of that movie. Was Siren in it as well?  
Soft and Sexy

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games