[PRP] A little herbology (Nightling/Little Rue) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kesmi

Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:18 pm
This is an Rp between Nightling and Little Rue.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image

Quote:
Small does of things can be beneficial, while larger doses can be harmful or even fatal. How much is too much?

Remember that plant you found? Well it's unique. You see, it can both be medicinal in certain doses but also toxic For example, the lovely prizes are based on different variations of Foxglove--also known as Digitalis, which is used ins small doses as a medicine..

Please write 750 words per RPer telling me one of the following:

1. How do you figure out it helps but also kills?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:29 pm
It was summer once again. The sun was scorching as it blazed over head in the cloudless skies. Nightling, a dark colored unicorn who held very little magic in her body walked from the small pond with containers of water. She tipped them over to water the plants of her garden. The plants themselves while thriving in the heat, the spring varieties having wilted and been replaced. Nightling stopped as she looked over her work. The soil was dark as the plants soaked in the water she had brought to them. Looking towards the sun over head, she did wish for at least a couple clouds to roll over and cover it. Her own black coat making her retreat to the coolness of her cave home.

"Not the greatest of days to be out in the sun, huh Greta." Nightling said as she looked at the raven familiar, the bird's glowing green mate perched beside her. "I think I will head to the forest and hope it is cooler there. Keep an eye on the plant." With that Nightling slipped down the cool tunnel that lead from her home to the forest beneath.

Poking her head out of the ivy covered cliffside, she glanced around before emerging completely. The forest was indeed a little cooler, the dense branches over head blotting out the most of the sun's rays. Giving her heated coat a shake, Nightling headed for the brook that ran close by, unsure of whom she may meet...

[[ WC: 249 ]]  

Kesmi

Shapeshifter

Rein_Carnation

Devoted Werewolf

18,175 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:07 pm
As the sun rose rising above the satin clouds, a mare awakened with a usual yawn. Days lately had become rather tedious with the heat of summer leaving her to endlessly check on her greenhouse. Stretching she walked stiff-legged and then gracefully moved into an elegant stride with a shake of her long fox-colored mane as it landed smoothly like water down her neck. Blinking she headed toward her plants checking on them for any form of damage or dehydration. Today each plant received its daily shower filling up water at the nearby lake with a bowl Tirranna had created for her to water the plants she kept so nice and content. The morning slipped towards midday when the golden mare finished watering all the amazing beauties she cultivated and cared for. Satisfied in her hard work, the slender mare ventured out for a stroll possibly seeking out new plants that her studies could benefit from. Grabbing an apple from a tree, the mare decided to walk while eating her snack.

"There has to be more plants I haven't studied yet..."

Moving through the foilage keeping within the shadows, the mare felt more connected with the world around her. Perking her soft ears, they swiveled toward the sound of running water. Remembering where she was the golden mare nodded, heading toward the sound her thirst was seeking. Juicy apples did of course cause someone to drink even with the moisture they held in their flesh. As she walked, the mare was pondering many things among them a trip deeper into the woods, out of this rising heat that baked her coat. As the water grew closer she began salivating thinking of the coolness that would rescue her from this thirst. Nickering, she walked toward the brook, her head sliding downwards till her muzzle touched the coolness tricking past her. As the water slid down her throat she opened her eyes to another figure. At first, the glimpse was dark as the night then revealed another mare who carried a horn on her head. The mare smiled t herself softly thinking that it wasn't only she who had thought of the idea. Moving her muzzle quietly, the mare raised her head slowly to peer out at the other accompanied by a crow, "Lovely summer day" she spoke in a calm demeanor hoping the other horned mare wouldn't find her fearsome or annoying.

WC: 401  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:31 pm
Stepping through the underbrush, Nightling looked towards the brook and the voice that had drifted from that direction. There was a light colored mare with brighter colored locks. Diverting her direction of movement, she headed closer to the mare. "A very hot summer day." Nightling added pleasantly.

"This heat is not doing my herb gardens any good. I swear the sun has an issue with them and wishes them to wither and wilt." Nightling commented as if it really weren't that big of a thing, really it wasn't as she could just grow more, but... Some she did need for reasons and waiting another season for them to grow would set her back greatly. Shaking the thoughts from her head she turned towards the mare. "Oh, my apologies, name's Nightling. The raven is Greta," Nightling said as a blue and colorfully spotted bird landed on a low branch near them. "Someone, I thought I had told to watch the garden, but seems she is always watching my back. Her mate must be doing the watching.'

Greta turned her head towards the two to stare with a single eye. Opening her beak she merely cawed at them as she ruffling her own feathers. While she was quite capable of normal speech, Greta just preferred to speak in her own language. Nightling could only shake her head at the bird, dappled lighting flickering off her white horn.

"Mind if I ask what had brought you to the forest today? Besides the heat from the sun?" Nightling inquired tilting her head to one side.

[[ WC: 261 ]]

Rein_Carnation

Kesmi

Shapeshifter

Rein_Carnation

Devoted Werewolf

18,175 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:32 pm
The mare noticed the darker-horned mare was probably trying her best to avoid the heat as she was. The summer days gradually increased in heat, causing the foliage to weep for water the clouds were not sending downward. Ear perking of gardens, the mare smiled, "Little Rue is what I am known as, more so just Rue. A namesake from a Kawani tribeswoman." She nodded, looking toward the forest, "Well, it turns out I, too, am a keeper of herbs near the southern lake near the tribeswoman's home. She brings me plants to nurture and grow for other variations. In return, I let her choose the fruits for her recipes" She smiled at both the mare and the crow, "Pleased to meet you both on this lovely heated summer day".

Rue smiled, pondering the other question. Her gaze moved from the welcoming shadows of the trees back to Nightling, "I'm seeking other plants for study. I thought a deep stroll into the forest might yield something new, refreshing to study" She nodded, "And stay out of this heat.." She then had an inkling, "Have you seen any plants not common around these parts? I know most if not all, I just feel there is something deep in those woods, devoid of shifters, I hope". While Rue had never come into contact with a shifter, she'd heard stories, unsettling accounts of their tenacity in all the wrong ways. Kalona was just as bad, but a shifter was more resilient in their motives. Suddenly, something emerged from the tall grass, a tiny gray mouse that seemed lost, delusional, almost paralyzed. Reaching its tiny paws outward, it collapsed in front of her, "Odd behavior for a rodent. What do you think, Nightling?" The mouse had emerged from the shadows within the forest. Something had made it sick Rue was confident personally witnessing its strange behavior.

WC: 311  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:03 pm
Nightling tilted her head, someone that interacted with the two legged species of the lands? Being the one for solitude, besides the two birds that lived with her in the caves that were home. Nightling didn't interact much with other species. She was about to say something before the small rodent appeared. Turning her gaze downwards she watched it as it tried to move, but wasn't being too successful. Frowning she stepped forwards and lowered her head down to almost level with the the mouse.

"Very odd behavior." Nightling agreed as she pulled back and glanced at Rue. "Doesn't seem injured from the looks. What might you think it has gotten into?" While she was well versed in herbs there were some that escaped her. She wasn't sure if it was something it had eaten or maybe if it were an injury was it more internal? Her frown seemed to deepen as she glanced back down at the mouse, silently wishing she had a more innate magical ability to help cure the mouse, but her magic was muddled by her mixed heritage.

"Perhaps we could take it to your friend to see what they may think? Nightling pondered as Greta dropped into a glide down towards the mouse. She pecked at it a little, not hard. She was likely trying to figure out what was happening in her own way.

[[ WC: 230  

Kesmi

Shapeshifter

Rein_Carnation

Devoted Werewolf

18,175 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:40 pm
The mouse seemed affected by something. Immediately, her ears swiveled forward with a thought. Moving with a thought, she gazed downward at the poor creature who seemed stiff, yet it was breathing. Not even the nudges of Nightling's familiar could fathom what this paralyzed creature had gotten into. There had to be a solution to help this little one out of its wayward predicament. Then Rue found something of potential interest right before her, "Nightling, would you mind terribly if Greta could look closer at the mouse's mouth? There seems to be some residue on the bottom lip and paws. A purplish tint... Do you notice the hue from any berries around here?" The mouse tried moving again as if to speak as a half-eaten berry rolled onto the ground. Rue's ears spring forward, "It's something this little one has eaten". Pondering momentarily, she looked between Greta and Nightling, "I do not have this plant in my garden. By chance, have you seen this species before?"

The berry was purple, dark as night in her eyes, almost like... death. She stepped back, unsure what plant species this mischievous mouse had decided to sample before its effects had taken hold. The berry seemed sweet, a musky enticing odor Rue would rather not be enticed with. Her ears lowered in concern about what plant shifters, kalonas, or evil beings could use against their prey.

WC: 232  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:43 pm
Nightling looked towards Greta as she leaned closer to the mouse before hopping back with an alarmed caw. The sight of the half eaten berry had surprised the raven. She hadn't thought that the mouse still had something in its mouth. "That... That..." Greta cawed as she took to the air and land upon Nightling's back.

Nightling herself watched her familiar before stepping forward to get a closer look at the berry. She sniffed before stepping back. "I've seen these before. A very dark plant." Nightling mentioned as she craned her neck a bit to try and riffle through the pouch that hung about her neck, but this action was a bit difficult. Stopping she looked at the raven. "Greta, can you get the small fern pouch from the pack?"

Greta hopped up to Nightling's shoulder as she flipped the pack's flap open and poke around before she pulled out a tightly bound pouch made of fern leaves. Taking the pouch she pulled the easy release ties and let it open, inside were a few small pieces of charcoal. "A little bit of this should help with any effects of that berry, or at least slow the absorption into the body."

Greta picked up one of the pieces of charcoal, a small piece and drifted back down to the mouse. She pecked at it to crumble the piece into small almost dust like material before coating the edge of her beak and sticking it into the mouse's mouth. She meant to try and force the mouse to take it. Nightling looked at Rue, there was worry on her face, but recognition to what was happening.

"The mouse seems to have found a belladonna plant. Helpful as it is, it can also be very harmful in large amounts." She explained as she started looking around for the distinctive plant.

[[ WC: 308 ]]  

Kesmi

Shapeshifter

Rein_Carnation

Devoted Werewolf

18,175 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:31 pm
Rue stood paralyzed, hearing of a plant whispering "Death" by mares to their children. "Deady Nightshade" or Belladonna" was always something foals alike did not even think of messing with. Feeling dumbstruck, her mind was running faster than her beating heart. As she pondered how such a wives' tale plant had taken root, Rue shivered, wondering just what a shifter could do with such a weapon. Eyes curiously pinned on Nightling and Greta, Rue wondered where Belladonna was growing so freely. How sweet the smell they gave enticing creatures to partake of sleep, a deadly sleep for eternity. Rue frowned, looking around her, then back to Nightling, "Most of us were told about Belladonna from our mothers. It's something we never forget". Rue felt awkward at the moment, knowing her life was herbology, and She should have known what Belladonna was along with the tell-tale signs. Poor foolish creature, never partake of the deadly nightshade or you will find yourself riled with ever-lasting sleep. Clearing her head, she refrained from those pessimistic thoughts right now.

"How much do you think this little one has eaten?" she queried with a flick of an ear. There seemed to be an annoying fly that was having an amusing game of trying to sit on her ear. Sighing, she shook her head twice till the annoyance disappeared. Then she grew concerned, "I think we should locate this plant and make sure no others decide to eat of the sweet death as some call it". Rue nodded her head, pondering just where this little or big plant had taken root. It definitely worked well for remedies to its own poisonous demise.

WC: 275  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:32 pm
"I don't know how much it might have eaten, but certainly enough to cause problems." Nightling said as she watched Greta as the bird still fed the mouse charcoal before picking up what was left in the pouch and fly back to Nightling's back. "With the looks of the half eaten berry, it was going somewhere with that berry."

Looking around at the foliage around there. It was well possible that the plant was close by, but then again it was possible that it wasn't close by. Looking back to the mouse, she frowned a little. The mouse surely hadn't traveled that far, not with as sickly as it was acting and the half eaten berry it had been carrying. "We should take a look around to see if the plant is here. Because this mouse didn't travel too far in this condition."

[[ WC: 143 ]]  

Kesmi

Shapeshifter

Rein_Carnation

Devoted Werewolf

18,175 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:39 am
Right now, Rue wished she'd boned with a familiar that could lead her to the answer they sought. Instead, it was in her favor to remember that the sweet scent of Belladonna plants was renowned for luring unsuspecting creatures not aware of their purpose. So, taking the lead she began inhaling the air for a sweet musky scent. How far indeed did this rodent travel before the effects of the plant affected its immune system? If it had eaten half a berry, Rue speculated the plant was rooted in the area close to them. Pondering the mouse's size meant it ate half a berry, savoring the rest for later. Or, it possibly had a friend or relative or loved one even it wanted to share with. If only Rue had been born Unicorn instead of half Cerynei. Now wasn't the time to curse your lineage teaching souls you are born who you are. Regardless of different bloodlines.

"Belladonna has a very sweet, musky smell like that half-eaten ripe berry. Locate that same scent and you are sure to find the plant. I do wonder if it's in the forest since the mouse departed from that way. Besides, it will get us out of this hot summer heat" She nodded flicking her tail toward another annoying fly. Turning toward the route of the mouse she took the lead, thankful to be rid of these pesky mischievous flies.

WC: 236  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 2:33 pm
Nightling had already started back towards the trees, looking for the distinctively colored blossoms and dark berries. With the mention of the sweet, but musky smell, that would help find the plant faster. Nightling looked back to Greta who had stuffed the fern pouch back into Nightling's pack. "Fly a head and see if you can't spot anything."

With a caw, Greta took wing and flew over the tops of the undergrowth. Making sweeping motions to try and find something. Nightling looked back towards the mouse, frowning. "I wish I could do more to help the mouse. Even being what I am I don't have the powers of a true unicorn." Her heritage was a muddled one with the unicorn bloodline only coming from part of her father's side of the family. "But we should indeed find the plant to make sure no one else falls victim to it's lure." Nightling agreed as she continued, sniffing at the air while also listening to hear if Greta finds something.

[[ wc: 168 ]]  

Kesmi

Shapeshifter

Rein_Carnation

Devoted Werewolf

18,175 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:12 pm
Rue nodded as the three headed into the forest. Being as hot as it was the smell should stand out over the earthy nature of the forest. As she walked within the shadows, the coolness of the foilage became a welcoming addition to this adventure that had unfolded. As most stories progress, Rue was certain that the Belladonna plant was within this location. Belladonna ingested became a strange anomaly within the body attacking the nervous system. Thus, the outcome of this little mouse. As Rue moved through the ferns brushing against her legs she wondered if this mouse wasn't alone in its little delicacy temptation of the beautiful deadly plant.
"Nightling. Do you think this mouse was alone? I mean yes it was carrying it off but, possibly was it trying to warn of something?" Rue frowned hoping they wouldn't find a corpse on this trail. Poor foolish little rodents...

Then Rue's ears perked her eyes widening, "Nightling. It's here, close to here. Smell that sweet scent? If I'm correct it's in full bloom as to why our little rodent friend decided to give in to something delicious". Head flying upward she heard something moving up ahead aways. "Do you hear that? If it's not Greta it could be something dangerous. We should be cautious" she murmured to Nightling. Moving closer to the trees she started moving slowly toward that sound. Could be a deer, Greta, wildlife, or even other soquili. Rue was keeping a strict vigil in case they were being stalked or hunted. She had a nasty kick with those hooves that could do some decent damage in the face of danger.

WC: 274  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:30 pm
Nightling turned her head towards where Rue had mentioned something moving. Her ears flicking slightly as she eased forward towards the sounds, but she too was hit by the smell of the plant they were seeking. Up a head the brush and ferns were indeed moving, but soon she could hear the cawing of Greta. Dark blue feathers peeked out of the brush before she appeared above, squawking at something, her wings beating in a way to throw air at whatever was on the ground. The chatter of another form of rodent could also be heard between Greta's caws.

"I think Greta found the plant too and something was also there." Nightling said as she pushed forward toward the location of said plant and looked downwards. Greta landed on a branch over head as she glared down upon the squirrel that was chattering and shaking its paws at the raven. "Stop that, you best be leaving that plant alone. Now shoo." Nightling said to the squirrel waving a hoof at it. "Also drop whatever berries you might have taken from this area. They aren't good for your health."

Pulling some of the plants away with her tail, Nightling revealed the short thick cluster of plants that bore a dark purple blossom and even darker berries that hung heavy on the stems. It seemed that the berries were in season and this didn't bode well for the creatures in the area. "Over here Rue, I have found a cluster, but there may be more here."

[[ WC: 254 ]]  

Kesmi

Shapeshifter

Rein_Carnation

Devoted Werewolf

18,175 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 4:59 pm
Rue continued her own search as the smell was strong the more she walked in her current direction. Meanwhile, it seemed that Nightling had definitely found a cluster of the plants over a ways from where she was standing. "I'm still smelling a plant or more this way'. How did it slip her mind to not smell that fragrance outside the forest? Nodding she kept her mind transfixed on this location as she headed over to see proof of an actual plant. It seemed Greta had definitely found this one as Nightwing shooed off a capricious curious squirrel. "Alright then. We definitely know this forest has what we are looking for, though I believe there is more growing in a different direction". Again, Rue picked up on hearing something, someone moving from her previous direction. Turning her head back to her trail, she heard mumbling, almost familiar in tone. Looking back to Nightling she shook her head up and down as long silken bangs swirled then laid around her forehead, You keep investigating. I'm going back the way I was trailing. I think there's a whole growth area in that direction. I also can't shake the feeling the movement is strangely familiar".

Nodding, head swaying she retraced her steps ears swiveling to the conversation. "Now I'm certain it's someone familiar" she murmured. Had their elder returned so soon? No, it wasn't Celendria or Cerylia. The sound was foreign yet so familiar for some reason. Moving slowly she walked in and out of trees till she stopped, her eyes growing wide.

WC: 260  
Open/Private Canon IC RP

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces