Welcome to Gaia! ::

♥ In the Name of the Moon! ♥

Back to Guilds

A Sailor Moon based B/C shop! Come join us! 

Tags: Sailor, Moon, Scouts, Breedables, Senshi 

Reply ♥ In the Name of the Moon! ♥
[Star-B] The Dangers of Gathering Fruit (Vaylin & Andreiya)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aurelius0815

Divine Noob

2,575 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 7:02 am
Prompt 8: Insidious Insects
In the first week of July, the area around the tree is just buzzing. The call of the cicadas is loud and droning, and it’s constant. You start to hear it all over town, too. All sorts of insects seem attracted to the strange pods, and it’s not uncommon to find nearly any species curiously investigating. If you listen closely, you notice something else strange–it’s not just the bugs that you see making the familiar call of the cicada. It seems like it’s coming from inside the pods, too. Any pod that wasn’t leaking sap suddenly begins to snap open, and giant cicadas, crawl out. Their full wingspan can reach up to a foot and they’re hungry–and angry. It seems like the pods that were leaking sap were slowly rotting, but the ones that didn’t leak were being eaten from the inside out–and now that the cicadas have run out of food, they’re out for anything they can find. Though there are several notable differences between these insects and the common cicadas, their low, chirping wail makes them easy to find–as well as the fact that they spit acid. These bugs are incredibly hostile and will attack indiscriminately, powered or unpowered, human or alien, day or night. They have a protective shell that makes them easy to crush but they’re hardly the most menacing foe you’ve faced–but if they reproduce, you could be in some real trouble. Better to crush them now before they become Destiny City’s next invasive species…

Vaylin had seen the strange aura appear on her ComTech and so she went to investigate only to find a barrier around the source of the aura, a barrier she recognized, it was that strange merchant she had met last year. The merchant had posted a sign saying he wanted a certain fruit. She remembered the merchant had artifacts of Velenia, she did not like the idea of her people's relics being sold by some alien merchant. But at the same time she understood its not like the man stole them, these were items left behind so they were fair game for him to take, it wouldn't be right to try to take them back by force so instead she'd trade for whatever he wanted.

To that end she was out hunting for the fruit the sign described. She'd heard about a tree with strange fruit sprouting this year. She figured that was weird enough that it was probably what the merchant was looking for. She noticed there were alot more insects in the area for some reason, she also noticed the presence of a familiar face. "Andreiya is that you?!" She called out over the noisy buzz of the insects.

She moved closer to her fellow Velencians. "Oh did you receive a promotion again? Congratulations Commander!" She said with grin as she observed her peer's new uniform, happy to see him achieve such a prestigious rank. "Were you looking for the fruit too?" She asked pointing to the large pods that seemed to be leaking some sort of sap.

Kyuseisha no Hikari

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:34 am
Andreiya blinked when his name was called. He hadn’t been paying attention to his ComTech because he was obviously distracted with collecting some of the pods that had fallen from the tree. He had a few different sizes, some leaking and some not.

“Oh, thank you. Yes, the Commodore was pleased with some of my projects and promoted me. I’m just about to publish another essay later this week if you’re interested in what I’ve been doing.” He held up a pod in each hand, and he had a satchel that was bulging with his collection.

“This is fruit?” he eyed the two in his hand.

“I suppose I was looking for it then, yes. I have been studying all forms of plant life since we got here. I want to create plants that can survive in any conditions. That way if we are unsuccessful in recovering Caedus’ starseed, we might still be able to cultivate Velenia into a livable world through other means. What do you mean ‘too’, who else is looking for these?”

He seemed a bit guarded, like he expected someone else might try to snatch them, and quickly put away the ones he had.

He wanted to get out of here as quickly as possible; he didn’t want any trouble, and these bugs were so loud! He already had a headache, and all they were doing was existing.

Aurelius0815

Kyuseisha no Hikari

Crew

Dragonslaying Dragon

Aurelius0815

Divine Noob

2,575 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 3:19 pm
"That's wonderful!" She exclaimed. "And I'd love to read your essay!" Reading scholarly scientific papers was a particular joy for the young Corporal, it provided all of the benefits of experimentation and observation but the work was already done for it.

"I believe so." She said examining the pods more closely. "There's an alien merchant who is looking to trade for them, he described these pods on the posting." She explained. She looked closer at the pods some were not leaking sap like the Merchant had described.

"Hey is it just me or do you hear noises coming from some of these." She observed she leaned in closer to try to hear when suddenly the pod snapped open. Vaylin quickly backed away from the tree. Cicadas that were far too large to be normal on this planet began to fly out of the pods. They seemed much more aggressive than the normal tiny variant as they insects began to fly at the pair of alien. "What the..." She exclaimed as one of the creatures spat at her. She get her arm up to protect her face as the spit hit her sleeve and began to sizzle. She quickly knocked it off onto the ground as she ignited her sword. "Be careful Andreiya! Their spit is acidic I think." She warned her fellow as she tried to fend off the insects.

Kyuseisha no Hikari

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 1:15 pm
Andreiya had been beaming when she said she’d love to read his essay, and he was already so proud of it so he was already dreaming of discussing things with her afterwards. He cared about that more than some alien merchant or his desire for pods, but his attention shifted sharply when she mentioned the noise.

There was no time for preventative measures before they were being attacked.

But bugs. Birdsized bugs, and he already had enough against flying creatures that could swoop and attack.

He wasn’t violent in any sense of the word, but he was not going to let his companion be devoured by acid. He shoved the pods he had been collecting in his bag–none of them had made noise, and until they did, they weren’t his priority.

His blaster was out immediately, and he had practiced enough that he hit the first insect he shot at. Its whole body was stunned and it seemed to lose control of its ability to navigate and crashed right into a tree.

Andreiya didn’t know if it was dead, but he knew that it wasn’t moving.

“I–I have no research on this! What are they?”

Aurelius0815

Kyuseisha no Hikari

Crew

Dragonslaying Dragon

Aurelius0815

Divine Noob

2,575 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:22 pm
Vaylin slashed her energy blade through one of the insecets as it suddenly turned and dove straight for the ground dying on impact, the electric impulse of her weapon scrambling it's sense of direction. "I think the humans call them Cicadas but they aren't suppose to get this big or be this aggressive, I'm pretty sure!" She replied as she continued fending off the creatures.

"Could that fruit be magically imbued?" She asked as she swung her sword. "Maybe these insects have been mutated by feeding off it's energy." She proposed as she took out another monster. She doubted the fruit was native to this world if the Merchant was so interested in them.

Between her sword and especially Andreiya's blaster the numbers of the attacking creatures began to dwindle and eventually stopped completely. She holstered her sword as she slumped against a nearby tree catching her breath. "Why does this planet attract so much weirdness?" She questioned the sky rhetorically. Then she turned her gaze to her fellow member of the Vanguard. "Thank you Andreiya, that could have been bad if you weren't here." She'd probably have made it through but she'd definitely be worse for wear without his fast shooting.

Kyuseisha no Hikari

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:14 pm
The idea of killing anything made Andreiya’s stomach churn, but he supposed that any sort of dangerous, invasive species that was out for blood or hostile was sort of asking for it. Maybe.

He wasn’t sure; he’d seen and heard a lot of things on Earth and he wasn’t sure that he agreed with much of it. Still, it didn’t seem like the bugs were in any mood or position to communicate.

His own weapon stunned the creatures, and when he saw one scuttle away after he’d shot it, he didn’t try to chase after it. During the whole thing, he’d really just tried to keep himself and Vaylin safe, and to make himself as small and nonthreatening as possible.

He remained on high alert, even when the threat was gone. “Y-yes,” he said, and cleared his throat. He wasn’t even sure that he’d helped very much. “I am glad you were here, too. I will have to be more careful when I collect research samples. “Are you all right? Have you been hurt?”

Aurelius0815

Kyuseisha no Hikari

Crew

Dragonslaying Dragon

Aurelius0815

Divine Noob

2,575 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:48 pm
As she caught her breath she eyed the corpse of one of the monstrous insects. She wondered made the creatures so large and aggressive, was it the sap from these fruits. It made her all the more interested to read Andreiya's essay on them. She turned her gaze back to her comrade as he spoke, "I'm fine just, the acid just ruined the sleeve of my uniform." She said holding up the burned sleeve for him to see. "Nothing I can't fix." She assured.

Getting up she walked over to the fruit tree cautiously. "I don't hear anymore of that sound so I think we're safe." She carefully grabbed some of the fruit that was not leaking and deposited them into subspace so that she could take them to the merchant.

"Well if you ever want back up I'd love to collaborate with you on a research project. I'm researching the nature of energy productions in planets." She explained her own focus as she took scans of the strange tree as well as samples of the bark and leaves for later testing. "I think or at least I hope if we can understand nature of energy production for living worlds like this perhaps we could reproduce it to stabilize Velencya." She said nothing of Caedus' starseed or plans to reclaim Velenia, that was not a topic she was interested in discussing with her colleague.

Kyuseisha no Hikari

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2023 11:19 am
“Oh! Yes, we have similar goals then,” Andreiya said enthusiastically. “I have been cross-breeding plants to try and make them stable enough to grow in any terrain or conditions. I was thinking that if we could help create a livable climate, if we could introduce durable and sustainable plants to the world, we could help restore it to livable conditions.”

He seemed enthusiastic about this, and as though he were ready to just jump into an impromptu lecture on the subject, but he realized that perhaps here was not the time or place for such things.

He forced himself to calm and cleared his throat before he nodded.

“I would be very interested in working with you, yes. That is a topic of interest to me as well. We should coordinate in the near future, I would like that very much.”

Aurelius0815

Kyuseisha no Hikari

Crew

Dragonslaying Dragon

Aurelius0815

Divine Noob

2,575 Points
  • Divine Donator 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Wall Street 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:50 pm
"That sounds truly fascinating, I'm curious about the energy consumption and production of flora cultivated like that. Its very worthwhile field of research, it could also help the farmers back on Velencya in the meantime." She mused.

"Absolutely, please feel free to reach out to me at anytime to work on a project. Two heads are better than one afterall." She said with a smile. Even if she refused to assist in the capture of Caedus working with the rest of the Vanguard on research projects like this would only further her goal of finding an alternative solution to their planet's crisis.

"It was good seeing you again Andreiya, stay safe." She said in parting as she headed back to the strange alien merchant to see what he had to barter for these strange and dangerous fruits.

Kyuseisha no Hikari
fin?

♥ In the Name of the Moon! ♥

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces