Welcome to Gaia! ::

Soquili Era

Back to Guilds

Tags: soquili, horses, breedable pets, pet horses, familiars 

Reply Open/Private Canon IC RP
[PRP Log] Face Your Fears... (Esfir, Shah, Diriel)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:38 pm
(This is an RP Log for the September Prompt, featuring ponies owned & RP'd by ~Latonia de la Courtel~ & Tsunake).

Quote:
We've all heard it before. "Don't be a chicken. As if facing your fears was the most natural and easy thing in the world (spoiler: that's a hard no). This month we'd love to see one of your soquili have to face up to a challenge by accident or on purpose. Is your soquili afraid to confess their love to a certain someone? Do jellyfish make them tremble in fear so much that it keeps them from the water? Is there an adversary that needs standing up to? This month, we want you to take a stand against something. Don't have any cowards? Maybe your soquili *is* the fear that another is standing up to.

The possibilities are endless and we're eager to see what you come up with! Make us root for your soquili, and have a chance at---you guessed it!---a chicken! If you're brave enough to make the word count alone or by taking a friend, someone else will likely follow you home this month.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Teepee: Lat // Tsu  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:28 pm
Shahrivar StoneSkipper winds his way through the twisting trails of the forest with silent steps, his paws velvet-soft on the thick grass and loam underfoot. The paths here are numerous that there may as not be any, twining game trails through the brush, wider paths forged by large predators or Soquili, natural gaps in the forest bent to methods of travel by those who call it home. Though there are plenty of evergreen growths in these deep places, there are equally many trees revealing that fall is upon them.

Autumn sprawls across the land in a riot of color, leaves gone from deep green to brown and red, goldenrod and sunset orange, all matter of shades as the cool wind breathes across the land and the days grow shorter. In the rich evergreen groves Shah might have a chance to blend in, his strange pelt a blend of blues and greens that wouldn't be utterly out of place among spruce and pine. In the fall-painted groves he stands out clearly, a cool-toned shadow against a backdrop set afire.

His sister stands out everywhere, her every-other stride as silent as his, her odd steps a blend of rattle and creek. The bare bones of her paws gleam off-white in the dark of the wood, as other as the gleam of her skull. There's little chance of missing what Esfir is upon first glance, Shah for his part looks utterly unremarkable until you see his side and tail. Esfir is eerie from all angles, and she plays that up at every opportunity, her laugh a chattering sound as unsettling as her wide, bared grin. Shah flashes his teeth as he ears Esfir snap her jaws at a scurrying squirrel, his own soft laughter joining her chattering sounds as she delights in the sound of scampering through the dry leaves.

"Must you?" He wonders with soft amusement. "You're scaring the locals, sister dearest."

Shahrivar Wordcount: 320

Esfir Lahal 'Hunt the Thimble' is not the sort to be mildly chastised into good behavior, mischief is the driving force of her nature, the very life's blood in her veins. In deference to the weather and not the rebuke, she shakes herself from bony nose to whispy, disappearing tail tip, her only reaction to the chill bite of wind that winds among the autumn-stricken trees and strokes insistently over her bare bones. The chill air is far preferred to summer's baking heat, though it makes her bones tingle. If they were home she'd tuck herself closer to Zinger, her cousin who runs so warm, or drink some of his blue flame tea. But wandering in the wild places there is no such opportunity.

As it was she fluffed her coat as much as possible and put the rest out of her mind, entertaining herself with the pursuit of dancing leaves or chasing the occasional critter. Shah's gentle censure made her flick in ear and flash a wide warning grin, snapping her teeth affectionately. "You know I seek to find the fun, Little Brother... And if I cannot find it, I shall make my own. Where is the harm?"

In truth she longed for better sport, but one worked with what one had.

Esfir Lahal Wordcount: 213  

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:43 am
The heart of the forest offers him comfort and solitude in a way no other place can, and Diriel often wonders if it has something to do with his strange appearance. His strange, slitted eyes, his gnarled mouth, and the trees that sprout from his very flesh... he certainly looks the part of a forest monster. Even after all this time, he remembers the way his mother flinched with disgust whenever she caught sight of him, and his heart still gives an odd little twist of pain at the memory. He never wanted to be a bad child or a monster, but it was no secret that his parents thought him to be cursed. He's been on his own ever since he fled as a young foal, but at least among the trees, he finds no judgement. His is a peaceful, albeit lonely existence, though the memories of the past help to beat back any longings for company that threaten to surge forth at the worst of times.

When he hears unexpected laughter and conversation, his heart practically convulses in his chest. Never before has he encountered strangers this deep into the woods, and indecision threatens to paralyze him completely. Who are they? Why are they here? Does he hold his ground? Should he run? His thoughts race until he can barely make sense of them.

He feels Vasuki beginning to stir from his slumber, no doubt picking up on his anxiety and tension. The serpent's smooth scales press closer, attempting to reassure him with his closeness. Vasuki's selfless offer of friendship almost makes him weep at times. Feeling a bit more grounded, Diriel makes up his mind to quietly retreat when he suddenly hears... something. A creaking, almost like old wood. He hesitates, and then, going against his common sense, hesitantly takes a few careful steps closer. What could that noise be? He's still largely hidden within the shadows of the trees, but he can see the pair of strangers now... and as he studies them further, he feels his features go slack with surprise.

The sound is coming from the mare--from her feet. Why, two of her feet are only bone! And her face... She doesn't appear to be in pain, walking as easily as anyone else would... He then discovers another surprise that has him completely forgetting all about his plan to steal away in the shadows. There are plants, he realizes, growing from the pair of them--different from his own twiggy foliage, but plants nonetheless! He's only encountered one other with a tree like himself, and his thoughts stray fondly back to Grigori and his daughter, Eden.

Unconsciously, Diriel steps forward and out of hiding, but when he opens his mouth, it's as if something is holding him by the throat and choking his words into silence. What can he say? What should he say? They might not even want company--certainly not from someone as awkward and ungainly as he. Where his strangeness makes him feel small and ugly, theirs only serves to highlight their confidence and unnatural beauty.

Vasuki decides to take things into his own hands, metaphorically speaking, extending his neck to take a better look at the brother and sister pair before offering a sleepy hiss of greeting.

((WC: 547))  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:38 am
"Besides, it's not as if there appear to be many locals for me to frighten." Esfir flashes a bright, boney grin at Shahrivar to soften her taunt, then turns her attention back to the path they are following through the winding dark. "More's the pity."

The woods around her feel old; most of them thick, gnarled trunks craning overhead crowned with branches heavy with leaves that drip moss. The ancient forest monarchs seem rather doting to her, offering cool air and shade, and plenty of cover for all manner of things to hide from. The leaner growths that are kissed by Autumn are pretty in their own way, but she prefers the heavy weight of the Old Ones' Regard. At her ear, Snicker begins whispering, a crooning rasp of sound the parasitic plant utters trying to gain the trees' favor. Snack, the plant growth on her back, has withdrawn into the warm embrace of its vines and leaves, exhaling softly as it slumbers. Twilight was more Snack's time, and unless there was food or mischief to be had the plant would happily conserve their energy until a more entertaining moment.

Which was why Esfir probably should have noticed when the soft snores stopped and rustling began, but she was distracted by the distant creak of branches and the sudden, soft hiss of a snake. A chill of apprehension darted up her spine, worry at being caught out by something that might mean her or Shah harm. It wasn't quite fear, yet, she was too tempestuous for that, but it eeked perilously close. At her side she felt Shah stiffen, fear coursing through him.

'Poor Little Brother...' She thought affectionately toward the stallion that towered over her. 'I will keep you safe.'

Ears flicking with scarcely-disguised interest, the mare glanced around the tangled trunks, humming in delight as a momentary dread melted away at the sight of a stranger. The silvery-blue scales of the snake seemed to be banded by soft dusk and platinum, the entire creature sleek and shining even in the dappled dimness of the woods. His companion was even more interesting, half tree and half mountain to her eyes, a dream-blue shaded stallion adorned with twisted trunks and deep-night branches. Growths like trees? But different from her dear cousin Zinger, and even from her and her siblings and sire. Something new, then.

'Oh,' she thought hopefully. 'what fun!'

"Good day, apologies if we trespassed on your territory or sacred land," Esfir offered in a bright tone. "I am Esfir and this is Shahrivar, we hail from the Underland."

Esfir Lahal Wordcount: 430

Shahrivar is normally happy enough to be led wherever his sister may choose to roam, delighted to spend time with her when she is otherwise so frequently occupied by learning poisons and antidotes from her instructors. He hasn't quite found his niche in the Underland yet, happy among his family but unsure of his calling, so if he has to follow someone else's lead when they finally have the time to wander with him, that's what he'll do.

He reminds himself of that as Esfir leads them wandering through the darkest, strangest, furthest parts of forests and glades; seemingly fearless of what strange things could be living or lurking there. Or perhaps she's hunting precisely for those strange things, because excitement seems to course through her when it seems they are no longer alone.

'At least it isn't a bear,' Shah thinks softly to himself, tension practically turning him to stone at the sound of steps and sliding scales. 'It doesn't sound like a bear... it could have been a bear...'

Of course, then he sees the stranger and finds himself wondering why it couldn't have been a bear. This stranger seems silent and imposing, draped in obscuring branches and accompanied by a serpent that could have a venomous bite and... Well, of course his sister with interest in poisons is delighted. She might consider such a thing a valuable experience.

Esfir is visibly delighted at the strange figure, ears perked right up, tail flicking in anticipation. Her eyes are hidden behind her forelock but Shah doesn't need to see them to read her thoughts. Still, her approach is a little too cavalier considering this stranger could turn out to resent their intrusion.

"My sister speaks the truth," Shah echoes, squaring up a little even as he presses to Esfir's side. "We did not intend to disturb your territory or disrupt you. Sincere apologies if our presence has done so, and please rest assured we will depart and trouble you no further if that is your wish."

'Just... don't eat us.'

Shahrivar Wordcount: 341  

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:32 pm
Diriel is an observant fellow, and his heart sinks with dismay as he recognizes the telltale signs that usually arise whenever someone catches sight of him. The minute stiffening, the way the stallion subtly presses closer to his sister. He never even considers that he might seem imposing in this instance, that his silence and size may be far more intimidating than his face.

"Good day," He returns awkwardly, his voice hoarse with disuse. Diriel shakes his head in denial, bewildered at the notion of territory. He lives here, he supposes, but never would he dream of trying to keep others out. His nature is far from aggressive. "You aren't trespassing, and you aren't bothering. I..." He hesitates, still searching for the right words. "I'm Diriel." He finally settles on an introduction. "Forgive me for interrupting your walk. I... I've never heard of the Underland." Are there more Soquili like them, he wonders? He's never seen paws upon anything but fleet-footed cats and canines before.

"Forgive me," He repeats, unable to keep the anxiety from coloring his tone. "I've--I've only met one other who... who had a tree." Like him, is the unspoken rest of the sentence. "I was so surprised, I didn't think before I moved." And the sensation that he's made a terrible mistake is threatening to overwhelm his logic and reason. What do they care? He feels like he's making one social blunder after another, and--

A tongue flickering against his ear makes him nearly jump out of his skin, but he's reminded that he's failed to introduce his cold-blooded companion. Nothing a hasty interjection won't fix. "This is Vasuki." Diriel gestures with his muzzle, and the snake in question seems both satisfied and pleased to be introduced. He settles back down, watching the pair with curious, unblinking eyes.

((WC: 302))  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:41 pm
Esfir offers the stranger a jaw click to emphasize her smile even as she sees him react to Shah's awkward reaction. Her brother has gone stilted and awkward at her side, but she refuses to allow herself to join him. If all three of them freeze up, they'll never get anywhere. If she's the one to be sensible of the three of them, then so be it. She shoulders Shah and steps toward the stranger slowly, trying to suppress the sound of her rattling steps. The stallion's greeting is hoarse and his reaction of a headshake seems bewildered. It seems all of them have confused and surprised each other, and if someone doesn't take action they'll probably implode into an awkward soup of confusion.

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Diriel," Esfir returns in a cheerful voice that is equal parts kindness and honesty. "Please believe you were interrupting nothing of importance. I am afraid we were just wandering to see what we could see or find, and we're quite happy that our paths have lead us here! As for the Underland, well, I suppose that isn't too surprising. We started out as a small refugee band that has established a rather significant herd territory in lands that not everyone would find hospitable. Our friends and allies seem to enjoy it well enough, we have some marvelous tea parties and a few good systems for bartering and trade."

Shah reflexively moves when Esfir moves, gamely following her a few steps closer to the mist-colored stallion. Perhaps this strange adventure will end in a new friendship, or at least a companionable interaction. At least it hadn't turned out to be a Shifter, so they weren't in danger of being lunch. (He didn't think, anyway.)

"Greetings," Shah chimed in between Esfir's friendly chatter. "Well met, Diriel, and Esfir speaks true. We were just wandering, enjoying some time out of our herd lands. As we are a herd comprised of various individuals with features that might be described as unique, I admit that the tree features are probably among the least unusual. The threat of the unknown in the woods is more of a concern, I apologize if my reaction was offensive."

He couldn't help but glance at his sister, lashing his tail and clattering his own bony features with the movement. The plants encasing his ribs shifted and whispered, snapping their jaws as they coil around his bones and slide over his pelt. As a pair, Dusty and Miller rarely pay attention to those around them, more interested in doing things like foraging for mushrooms and things during their travels. At present they seem to be intrigued by Diriel, craning forward to consider him from a better vantage point.

"Ah, this is Dusty and Miller," Shah offered, gesturing to the larger and smaller carnivorous plants respectively. "A pleasure to meet you, Vasuki."

Esfir gave Shah an approving nod and then clicked at her companion plants, receiving only a reply from Snicker. Still tucked away
in their leaves and vines, Snack slept on at her back. Well, one was better than none, wasn't it? "Well met Vasuki; I apologize but Snack isn't in a social mood right now, this is Snicker though."

Snicker grumbled at the lackluster introduction, then chirped a greeting at Diriel and Vasuki. Esfir gave an approving hum, turning her attention back to Diriel with a bright sort of enthusiasm. "I don't suppose you'd want to visit the Underland, now that we're all friends?"

Collective Wordcount: 586  

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

Tsunake
Crew

Territorial Friend

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:10 pm
He's pathetically grateful that Esfir takes the reins of the situation, resisting the urge to paw at the ground like an awkward colt."That sounds wonderful. Not--the refugee part, of course, but it sounds like you've truly made a home for yourself." If he knew how wistful he sounded, he would be mortified. When Shah speaks up as well, Diriel favors him with a brief, timid smile. "Truly? That sounds wonderful." He supposes if they were individuals that had Esfir's attributes, a bit of plantlike hardly seemed unique at all. Why, he wouldn't be surprised if the siblings are treated with the same wariness if people only judged them by their appearance. As Shahrivar draws closer, Diriel catches glimpses of bone peering through the fluffy fur. He dips his head in a slight bow. "It's a pleasure to meet you both."

His eyes would widen if they could when the carnivorous plants are introduced in turn, absolutely fascinated by the movements and whispers he can't quite make out. "They're lovely," He says truthfully, already quite taken with the creatures. Distracted as he is, Diriel's head jerks up in surprise at the unexpected invitation. Here? Now?? The fear is a rush of cold, clawing at his lungs to steal his breath away. He's tormented by thoughts of being rejected and chased away by an entire angry herd, his ears tilting back uneasily.

But, he attempts to reason with himself, did they not say their members sport unique features of their own? Perhaps they might understand where others did not. The stallion forces himself to breathe, gathering his courage as best he can. "I--I would be honored," He stammers, now gripped by a frantic sort of energy as adrenaline floods his system. "If it wouldn't be a bother, I mean." Leaving the forest would be terrifying, completely and utterly... but--as much as he ruthlessly attempted to tamp down the seeds of hope--perhaps it might lead to things much greater than a lifetime of self-isolation.

((WC: 331))  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:34 pm
Esfir gave him an encouraging nod when he seemed to stumble over the conversation, internally quite gleeful that their wandering had yielded such a wonderful result. Not only had she gotten Shah to step out of his usual comfort zone and join her on an adventure, but they'd made a new association that might yet turn into a friendship. If Diriel agreed to visit the herd, so much the better. The Underland was always looking for unique individuals to ally themselves with.

"Thank you," Esfir murmured, speaking of the kindness he showed in his concern over her family's difficult beginning. "The honor would be ours, to host our new friend... I am so glad that the day has turned out the way it has."

"Not a bother at all," Shah chimes in over the excited chittering that Dusty and Miller are producing, both ecstatic at the thought of making a new friend. Though not as food motivated as Esfir's Snicker and Snack, the pair had their moments. "I only hope that you will enjoy your association with the Underland, and that our strange associates don't alarm you too much."

He offered a soft sort of grin, equal parts kindness and mischief. "We will craft a safety net, perhaps a code word if you feel you are in need of rescue. Whatever might help your visit to be comfortable and enjoyable. And there's no rush... If you like you can consider it and perhaps we could stop by later and discuss the finer points in further detail."

Esfir glances from her brother to the stranger, blinking rapidly behind the fluffy curtain of her forelock. Shah looks surprisingly, well, different. Kind and cautious as usual, but also, intrigued? He's almost... flirtatious.

'Interesting...' She mused. 'Perhaps he's been spending too much time with Zinger, maybe I should drag him out of the Herd lands more often.'

Aloud she gave a considering hum. "My brother makes a good point. Perhaps we shall leave you to your thoughts, and resume our walk for now. I apologize again if our appearance startled you or caused any stress, and with your permission we'll travel this way again soon and renew our offer to have you visit the Underland?"

There was a moment of thoughtful silence, where Esfir's eyes creased with a grin behind her silken forelock. The boys couldn't see it, but oh what a delightful idea she'd had. "Or perhaps Shah could visit on his own, sooner, rather than waiting for our free time to align again. He could lead you to the party just as easily. I think that would be best, surely with fewer parties involved you could make plans align more easily... something to consider, at any rate."

Yes, this little idea was falling into place nicely, and would continue to do so if she had her way. And Esfir certainly planned to get her way, in this instance. Not out of selfishness, but because it was the best for everyone involved. Even if the silly males around her didn't know that yet. If they had any idea what she was thinking, they probably would have been quite afraid.

Shah gave his sister a worried glance, then turned his attention back to Diriel with a nervous smile. "Esfir has some good points, at least. We should be on our way, but if you wouldn't mind, I would be happy to return to renew our invitation. I understand that you might want time to prepare for a journey, though rest assured it would be a smooth and relatively short one..."

He hesitated for a moment, his voice softening. "I hope you will truly consider a visit, for what it is worth."

Collective Wordcount: 617  

~Latonia de la Courtel~

Eloquent Witch

Open/Private Canon IC RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas