Rein_Carnation

Devoted Werewolf

18,175 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:38 pm
Prompt:
Wintertime in the Kawani is in full swing, and February is no exception! A strong snowstorm and cold front has blown into the lands, blanketing much of the land in white. Some areas have completely been overwhelmed by snow--and places that are typically warmer or never see the stuff have also been covered in the white stuff.

How is your Soquili handling this snowstorm? Were they caught unaware? Are they experiencing snow for the first time, or are they used to it? What do they do now that they're living in a winter wonderland?

Quote:
For an elder and companion of the Mountains, winter is a simple explanation. For a newborn foal of the season, Winter is an entire moment they would never forget...

User Image

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:42 pm
A single snowflake shimmered, sliding downward, lying gracefully on the chilled ground.

Definitely agreeable, the first sign of winter as she danced inward late this year. Soon, one followed another till the sky was but a blessing of tiny crystals thickening upon the ground. This season was cherished by some, hated by others. But, whatever the reason, winter took her role in freezing the kawani lands.

A solitary mare, glistening of blue, stood upon the hillside seeking answers that were nowhere or found. This spirit seemed translucent to the world around her as the wind playfully tousled her mane with a teasing gesture. Silken as the snow, her white tresses glided over the ground as hooves took motion, moving her further from the hillside. The snowflakes moved downward, seeking refuge from the incoming followers from behind. The snow began moving faster till the sky was white as the ground. Ears swiveling forward, the mare moved quickly toward her kawani maiden's campsite. Surveying the area, she noted the thicker furs; hides pulled over the enclosure smoke danced outward from the top in a mesmerizing dance. It seemed Tirranna hurridly prepared for this season beforehand as the snow blanketed upon the icy's mare's sleek back. This gesture pleased the cerulean mare in the knowledge her friend would brave the incoming storm unharmed or well prepared anyway.

Nodding, she walked onward; the snow joined now with a bitter coldness that nipped at her shoulders fervently. Hooves carried her away from the campsite, heading outward into the thickness of the fir trees leaving the blistery winds howling with a strange whistle. These trees were the herd's sanctuary should any disaster threaten the area growing thick and endless. Here, Celendria knew her family and herd were safe from the storm.

The mare sighed, knowing this storm would be more brutal than most.

A soft whimper joined her side as a smaller gray wolf shook off the snow from her coat. A small rabbit dripping with crimson warmth was clenched in her muzzle as its blood seeped into the dry ground. The mare nodded to her companion before she spoke, "I wonder if others can sense the call of the mountain as I do. We may have to travel again, Amadahy. Back to the bitter cold I was born within".

Amadahy finished her rabbit and whimpered, a tongue sliding over her muzzle to clean away the blood. With a sneeze, her paw raised to brush her nose before looking upward to her taller companion. A low growl followed by a whimper once more.

The iced mare smiled as the snow continued, leaving her with her contemplation.

As the night carried on, her thoughts drew to the mountains. Yes, she'd travel there once her herd was safe, but for now, her dreams would carry her on silken wings.

As Celendria's eyes reopened, her vision cleared to see a filly staring upwards at her in curiosity. For a moment, she thought winter winds had caused sickness. Yet, here was a foal bright as summer foliage standing in front of her. Amadahy was nowhere to be found, most likely seeking a meal the rabbit couldn't fully sate the night before. Ears flicking forward, she focused on the curious child, "Are you lost, little one?" she queried with a soft, reassuring tone.

The foal blinked with bright blue eyes, her head shaking back and forth, "Nope. Mama told me to find Celendria... here".

"Well, you found me. What do you need, Lil one?"

"I'm Starlight Mint. My mama is Melody", she laughed.

"Ah yes, I remember your mother," Celendria spoke with softness in her eyes.

Starlight beamed at the older elder, tilting her head, "Mama told me you could tell me what winter is"!

Celendria, wise in her years, laughed aloud, "It's all around you when you step outside, Starlight." Momentarily, she finally remembered her refuge from the storm, and instinct would whisper to check on Tiranna once the campsite was in view. Perhaps Melody and starlight took refuge from the storm too.

Starlight Mint looked perplexed, "Huh?" she spoke, seeking clarity in the elder's words.

Celendia tossed her head, mane cascading around her like a silken blanket of snow, "Come, I'll show you..."

Her slender legs moved before her, crystalline hooves pressing deep in the ground. Starlight could only resonate in the elder's shadow for a moment, feeling her form glisten. Her tiny hooves followed as they sunk into the ground filling a small space of Celendria's prints. She was massive to the growing foal born of pink, blues, and green. Yet, to the foal's realization, she was but a graceful angel whose voice lingered like a soft wind. Noticing she was left behind in the shadows of the fir trees, her tiny hooves moved quickly to find the elder who disappeared into the white blanket. Celendria stood like a motherly figure awaiting her charge.

Once she was by the elder's side, her voice piqued once more, "This is winter?"

"Yes," the mare spoke, her eyes closing as the wind blew loose snowflakes from the trees. The storm had been unruly, ripping through trees now leaning downwards from the weight of the snow. The storm arrived quite fast, bringing much damage but, she didn't want to spook the curious foal with reality. Not only had snow arrived, but there was also a possible mix of ice. Footing could be hazardous to a young foal learning about winter.

The filly craned her neck downwards, lipping at some snow as it melted on her tongue. It was cold at first but warmed quickly like water. Quickly, she repeated the same motion, a giggle escaping from the pure joy it brought.

Celendria chuckled, watching Starlight play with the snow. Being a youth new to the season was a sight to behold.

The filly heard the wise mare's laughter looked out over the white blanket, eyes glimmering like crystals, "Where does Winter come from?" she asked, looking around her, then to Celendria.

The ice mare smiled, "Each season has its dance as you will grow into in years to come. Spring, is the season that blesses us with flowers and the rebirth of our trees. Summer brings us hotter days and rain. Fall brings colorful leaves and chiller winds..." she paused, looking upwards toward the taller Mountains. Winter is the final dance from the higher Mountains where I was born. But, even in this amazing sight, there will always be a danger."

The filly tilted her head, "Snow is Winter??"

Celendria laughed, "Yes, snow is a big part of winter, as you can see."

Starlight giggled, hooves carrying her in a circle around the elder. Little by little kicked up her hooves, jumping playfully in the snow. She was having so much fun she didn't see the trail leading downward toward the campsite. Too enraptured in her happiness, she didn't see concealed ice just before her. Without warning, her hooves flailed uncontrollably as a scream uttered from her tiny lungs tumbling downward. Her petite form was pulled by gravity, trying to keep balance, legs splaying outward.

Celendria was deep in thought till she heard Starlight's cry. Hooves striking the ground, she moved like the winter storm and followed the foal downward towards Tirranna's campsite. Pulling her slender head outward, she propelled herself faster in pursuit of the flailing filly. Leaping over a downed tree, she recovered timed as her solid back legs carried her to connect with Startlight's descent. Using her own body, Celendria shielded the bewildered filly from colliding into an unforgiving damaged tree or, worse, the frozen lake.

Starlight, dizzy with shock, looked upward at Celendria, whose breath snaked outward in bursts of translucent air. Lungs heaving her legs stood strong protecting Melody's daughter from uncertainty.

Celendria's breath carried outward in the frigid air, in tendrils of mist bearing upward seeking solace from the cold. She had been an old mare for years deep in her thoughts, yet she moved like woven silk at a moment's notice to protect her herd from inevitable demise. It seemed like days that her posture was similar to a solid rock before her voice resonated warmth, "Are you alright, Starlight. Are you injured?"

Her eyes glistened with life as worriment filled them. Finally awakening out of a dream, she noted the likeness of Melody and Cotton Candy as the youngling shimmered brightly within the snow. It was just a glimpse, but her tiny horn was now visible as the filly sat panting in the deeper snow. For a moment, Celendria feared Starlight losing her breath or something worse. Moving in closer, she nickered to the filly like most motherly mares do to get her attention.

Starlight was indeed spooked; her hooves had betrayed her for a short moment before she realized that was the fastest she had ever traveled in her short life. Still a bit dizzy, she blinked and stood up, her legs shaking. Finally, she took a few steps with a flick of her tail, pausing in thought as most foals do, "That was fun! Can we do it again?"

Celendria blinked in shock, worried that Starlight might have been badly injured. Yet here, she exhibited the classic foal-like nature of something mindblowing that jumpstarted her heart. Once her breath returned to usual deep relief, she laughed aloud, unlike her peaceful nature. Regardless of being scared silly, most foals thrive with dangerous peril in a face unknown.

"Perhaps, but let's make sure I know about this little trial before you take a plunge into a frozen lake, as I've mentioned before. Winter is beautiful, but it can be scary as well."

Celendria's eyes still showed concern but lifted her spirit to see such youth endure as she was. She would grow up fearless like her mother yet sweet as poetry like her father. Pondering momentarily, she finally remembered something, "Starlight... Where are your parents?"

Starlight moved with a little more determination from her still shaky legs. Flicking her tail, she pranced a little, though careful of more ice and thick snow. Then, she looked toward the elder and laughed, "Mama is waiting for me with Tiranna. See? She's down there with the two-legged girl."

Celendria laughed in a soft recognizable gesture, "Of course she is." No foal this young would be too far from her mother, "Come then... she must be worried you were out in the snow so long". Celendria also breathed her maiden was safe from the jaws of uncertainty.

Starlight shook her head, "Nope. She told me to find you because you would keep me safe while she went looking for things.".

Celendria mused over the brightness of this filly and her curiosity, "I see... Other than that, did I answer your question about winter?"

Starlight pulled her head high as she smiled much like her mother, "Yep! Thank you! Now I can tell mama about winter!"

Celendria looked downward, in awe of such a spirited child, "Then I am pleased." she spoke as her velvety muzzle nudged the filly's face. "Come, I'll walk you halfway to your mother so you can tell her all about winter. But, please watch your step, or you might be sliding without me being there to catch you."

Starlight beamed, "Yay. Thank you, Celendria"! Then she nodded quieter, "It was fun, but yeah, I'll be careful. The snow is so tall closer we get."

As both elder and foal traveled further down the hill, Celendria noticed the familiar pink mare who had visited this area many seasons awaiting their return. Starlight was indeed a fighter, one who would reach for the stars. Beside her stood the familiar image of a Kawani maiden that she befriended moons ago. Soon she would leave this area to return to the Mountains once more. If only to seek something, which beckoned her like a babbling stream. Her daughter Cerylia would watch over the herd in her absence. The gentle elder paused, letting Starlight reunite with her mother. With a special nod to mother and daughter, she turned her head, resonating with the mountains again. Something indeed called outward seeking her attention.

As the chatter of a filly's newfound knowledge unraveled in the elder's ears from a distance, a small gray wolf joined her side, "It's time... Lil one. I must answer my calling".

The small gray wolf whimpered with a tilt of her head, "Yes," she seemed to growl.

Celendria turned once more, nodding to the pair and Tiranna, then walked upwards towards the hill; her contemplations spoke clearly. Today had undoubtedly been an awakening of spirit within the ancient elder of ice. Even if moons and suns passed over her for years, she felt a kindling spirit that could never break.

Hearing the sound of hooves, the elder stopped, her head swaying in slow motion toward the sound. Starlight beamed toward her with a bright smile, "Thank you again," she chirped, nuzzling the crystalline mare of ice. "Someday, I want to be as beautiful and brave as you are." Then she ran back down the hill to reunite with her mother, careful of those icy patches beneath her tiny hooves or falling in a rogue snowdrift.

The elder smiled as she watched the pink pair move onward back to their family, "Thank you as well, Starlight." This day she was truly blessed by a simple query involving winter, even in the destructive path of a storm.

WC:2,239  

Rein_Carnation

Devoted Werewolf

18,175 Points
  • Married 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
Open/Private Canon IC RP

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers