(Backdating to the week after Thanksgiving)

Quote:
At long last, your Holiday shopping is complete! Every last person is checked off the list, and you have time to spare. Maybe you deserve something a little extra special, too? Or is there someone you suddenly remembered? Are you just imagining that you’re done? What if you actually haven’t gotten everything finished? This time of year is always so stressful—how are you handling shopping at all?

The holiday season was in full swing. Turkey had been eaten, accompanied by filling greenbean casserole, cranberry sauces and a plethora of other side dishes to compliment the main dish. Friends and family had gathered, shared stories, laughed, and in the case in many, slept away their full stomachs. Rowan’s family affairs had been like many others. Time was spent in good company and food while he continued a Thanksgiving tradition of watching balloons parade down the streets of New York City on the family’s flat screen TV.

With the feast over people went into full swing with buying gifts, trimming their houses and trees with lights. The festive spirit was in the air and it bit Rowan like any strong bug did. It was barely into December and the young man was out exploring shops. He intended to find gifts for everyone on his list on his own. It felt more personal that way, more like he cared, than having a personal shopper deal with it. Plus, there was the added bonus of getting out and enjoying the atmosphere himself. It gave him a chance to stretch his legs in ways that were much different than in a ballet.

Shop front twinkled with a wide variety of lights, tinsel, trees, garland, and whatever else could be found to dress up and catch a shopper’s attention as they milled by. The amount of biddies passing one another meant it was necessary to catch people’s interest. As it stood, all of the shop fronts in the vicinity he tended to shop were done with taste. Nothing was too gaudy or overdone. A sort of goldilocks effect had been achieved and Rowan appreciated it. None of those new, eye piercing LED lights threatened to blind him.

His first stop had been to a dancewear store. His necessities for new leotards were the first on his list of things to take care of. In the process of picking out black leotards, leggings, neutral tone leg warmers and a new pair of booties since his was showing wear. In the process of scouring the racks for things Rowan came across a pair of...well, until he looked at the tag he wasn’t sure what they were. Knitted garments covered in fur from top to bottom that looked like they had been ripped from a dead muppets carcass. The neon pink, blues, and yellows were atrocious together and were, what most would call, eye raping.

Rowan knew exactly who would appreciate them. As much as it hurt his soul to purchase them, he added the ugly legwarmers to his own pile of neutral toned garments. Thankfully it had all been neatly wrapped in brightly colored wrapping paper and placed into a large shoppers bag so no one else could see the mistake of a purchase he just made.

His brother, Trey, he had already gone and made an order online for. Finding proper riding gear in the city of DC wasn’t the easiest of things, at least not in the sort of selection that Rowan desired. Firefly deserved only the best as did Trey. The merchant he had purchased from did custom saddles with engraving. It had been quite a hefty penny, but the saddle coming would be the most rich of brown leather with a plethora of floral designs and the names  Firefly and Trey etched in the design. The merchant had guaranteed it would be a beautiful piece and that it would arrive just in time for the holiday. So, that was one less gift that Rowan needed to find.

That meant that next up was his mother. There were plans in place to order her flowers and decadent chocolates. Clothing was never anything she much needed considering her career so the next best thing was accessories. With the help of one of the girls at DCBC, Rowan was able to find and purchase a handbag that he felt fairly confident in his mother liking. There was just one more thing he wanted to get and that required a trip to the jewelry store. He had a particular one in mind to. Murphy’s Jewelry was a well known, small business jewelry store. They worked on a lot of custom pieces as well as carried several beautiful one of a kind things along with more general brands. So, Rowan made his way to that particular store.

As expected Murphy’s was well decorated with lights, and the front windows were a beautiful snowy display that showed off select pieces of jewelry. The shop wasn’t bustling, not yet anyway. It was still early for the shops to be swamped and it was the exact reason Rowan didn’t wait until the Christmas crunch week. At this time of year he’d still get superb customer service and the workers weren’t worn down and withering from all the ‘holiday cheer’ that many of their customers brought in with them.

As Rowan entered, a small bell announced his arrival and an associate looked up from the work she was doing in one of the jewelry cases. She offered him a bright smile as she closed and locked the case before walking around to greet him. “Hello! Welcome to Murphy’s. Is there something I can help you with?”

“Yes, I am looking for a bracelet. Specifically one with Garnet’s in it.” He offered the woman one of his own charming smiles in return. “It’s for my mother and she’s got quite the sophisticated taste.”

The woman, a mousy brunette with brown eyes, glasses and sporting what Rowan knew to be the uniform of a black pencil skirt, white blouse and black blazer thought for a moment. associates here looked professional and well put together. It just added to the feel of the shop. “Well all of our gemstones are over there.” She gestured to a few cases off towards the corner. “We don’t have much with Garnet’s right now…” She paused for a moment. “Wait a second. I think something may have come in today actually. If you give me a moment I’ll go get it.”

Rowan gave her nod. The woman quickly disappeared into the back leaving Rowan with another associate who glanced up at him, gave him her own endearing smile as she pushed hair behind ears, and casually went back to work. Rowan let himself meander towards the cases that the mousy haired associate had gestured him to and peered down into them. He found she had been correct. The amount of garnets was very slim pickin and the bit that was there wasn’t what Rowan had been looking for. He wanted a tennis bracelet and instead, all that stared up at him, were necklaces, rings and a few bangles with stones inlaid.

“I thought I saw something with garnets and lucky for you, it’s a bracelet!” the mousy haired associate said as she reappeared from the backroom. As Rowan turned to see what it was she had he made a quick flick of his eyes to her name tag.

What she held in her hands was sheer perfection. In the black velvet box was a dainty tennis bracelet with alternating garnets and, what Rowan could safely assume in this store, were diamonds. The rose gold that made up the bulk of the settings was a unique but very appealing choice. “That’s perfect, Darlene!” He said with a clap of his hands. Rubbing them together he grinned at her as he looked up from the box she held. “I’ll take it.” There was no debate to be had.

Darlene beamed and hurried over to the register. She likely didn’t want to chance that he’d change his mind. The sale was likely going to net her a decent bonus in her check and she’d certainly not want to miss out on that with the holidays. Rowan paid with his card and waited as the present was neatly packaged in gold wrapping paper embossed with snowflakes with a delicate white bow wrapped around it. Once it was all prepared she handed the box over in a small shoppers bag emblazoned with ‘Murphy’s’ on it. “Thank you for coming in! You have a nice holiday!”

“You as well.” Rowan responded as he took the bag. Turning he headed for the door. As he reached for the handle that was well worn from years of customer use, Rowan’s attention was pulled to a case of watches. Curious, and with an idea forming in his head, he walked over and gazed down. Inside the glass display case, well lit with lights from all angles, was a plethora of watches. What had specifically drawn his attention though was the numerous pocket watches that stared up at him from the corner of the case. Likely not the most sought after accessories except by those of specific needs and standing, Rowan doubted many sold, but appreciated that ‘Murphy’s’ continued to carry them. There was a nice selection to ranging from classic gold to a more contemporary look of whiny and matte black.

One watch in particular drew his interest. The shiny black casing and chain was against an equally dark face, but peering out from the face were all the inner workings of the watch. Gears and doodads in a traditional gold tone that Rowan knew nothing about, sat unmoving but teasingly. “Excuse me. Can I see this pocketwatch please?”

“Darlene came hurrying over, her smile brighter than before. “Yes, of course. Which one was it?”

“The dark one with the gold inner workings. Does it run alright?” He questioned. Darlene found the pocket watch swiftly enough and pulled it out for Rowan to look at. He turned it over in his hand, giving it a thorough inspection. It was, to be blunt, a beautiful piece and Rowan knew exactly who would appreciate it.

“Oh yes. It just needs to be wound. It’s sort of an older style in a newer body.” She laughed at her own comment.

“Could you ring that up and wrap it for me as well? This time something a bit more masculine, please?” He requested as he walked towards the counter to pay.

“Of course!” Darlene hurried about putting the watch in a box and wrapping it in a matte wrapping paper complete with a golden bow.

“I’ll just add it to my bag i have here.” He commented after paying for his purchase and taking the newly wrapped gift from her. “Thank you again for all of your help! I think I am truly done this time now.” He gave her a wink as he moved towards the door. “Have a lovely holiday.”

He pulled the door open, the ringing of the bell could be heard as he stepped outside, closing the wooden door securely behind him.

He began walking up the sidewalk a delightful and self appreciating grin on his face. He’d managed to not only get gifts for everyone on his list, but also get one for a person he thought was going to be terribly hard to shop for. In truth, Rowan had no idea what to get Elex. He had feared getting him something too personal. After all, they had only just started seeing each other and Rowan wasn’t exactly sure the state of their relationship status, but...the need to buy the Yorke boy a gift had been strong. Plus, Rowan delighted on giving gifts to people who were dear to him and Elex certainly was becoming a person Rowan was incredibly fond of.

“Welp, considering how successful today has been, I think it’s time I treat myself.” With the intent of getting himself a latte, Rowan turned down the next street and merrily strolled along. Now, with his gifts in hand, he couldn’t wait to give them out to those who deserve them. Even though the day would come soon enough, Rowan itched to present his wel thought of gifts. Sadly though, he still await some and others still needed to be ordered. Soon though. In a few short weeks it would all be over.

It was a shame the Christmas holiday cheer and happiness couldn’t stay around all year long. Rowan certainly wouldn’t be upset with that.

WC: 2035