Welcome to Gaia! ::

AskED The Staff: Answer Archive

Back to Guilds

View everything Gaia Staff have said in Ask the Staff sessions! 

Tags: Gaia, Staff, Gaia Staff, Ask the Staff, AskED 

Reply Answers, Sorted by Subject
the Death of Flash Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Balance Begets Creation 500
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:59 pm
Death of Flash

In the year 2020, Adobe will officially cease providing and supporting Flash Player. Some of the most popular web browsers are removing support for Flash sooner than that. Here's a Subject thread about how that's affecting Gaia Online, which still relies on Flash a whole lot, and what Gaia Staff are going to do about it.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:00 pm
October 18th, 2017:

codemonkey37179
Kian Suijin
codemonkey37179
Kian Suijin
◘ Features

I noticed towns freezes if you change tabs while running it. Any way to look into that? It does it even if I use chrome, firefox or IE

Towns 1? It seems flash is acting very strange these days.

Yeah. Its towns1

Flash and even html5 will stop running if they lose focus, i.e. switching to another tab. I can override in html5, but not flash
codemonkey37179
Knight Yoshi
What? I've left Towns open in the background before, ran fine. When did this start? O.o

I'm not sure. Happening for some time.

codemonkey37179
Le Wild Pikachu
codemonkey37179
Le Wild Pikachu
Rally

Rally often freezes when swapping tabs, is there a fix for this or something you guys may be working on?

Does it unfreeze when you go back to the rally tab?

No, I usually either have to open a new tab or Rally or refresh the page completely

Well, that's a kettle of fish of another color entirely. Not sure what's going on but I'll jump onto towns and rally in just a bit and check it out.

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:17 pm
October 24th, 2017:

codemonkey37179
Alice Allusion
Misc

Will Gaia be slowly upgrading to Html since flash is said to stop being supported in the next three years?

We've been using HTML since 2002! Perhaps you mean HTML5? The answer is yes, but we hope not to do too slowly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:52 pm
October 31st, 2017:

codemonkey37179
PizzaNyah
Features
Are you planning to re-format the current Astra items from Flash to HTML5,
and release new awesome Astra items in HTML5 format in the future?
It would be awesome if this happened, I'm sure the Astra items would be popular again.
We are looking into it. It isn't a straightforward conversion.

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:45 pm
November 8th, 2017:

[NPC] Gaia Staff
Welcome Back!

Quote:
Features//Games

Will Gaia be getting some kind of animation run update as far as Chrome compatibility goes? To my understanding, Gaia animation runs primarily on Flash, yet Chrome is getting rid of Flash pretty soon. Will there be a new option to support animation on Chrome or will we simply have to use a different browser? There have even been issues with avatars showing up in the Flash worlds.

We are releasing new features on HTML5 because flash is no longer supported, while we cannot renew all flash games that had been built, we can only suggest Gaians to use a different browser to access flash based games on Gaia.

Lanzer
Lady Saxophone
Items: Astras

With the death of Flash in the near future, I was wondering if there are any plans about what to do with Astras?
Will they be kept and turned into regular "still" items? Or will you be leaving the feature alone until the rest of the internet officially kills Flash?

We certainly can have a non-flash version of astra item. We've been thinking through different animation ideas but it's a lot of work, and more importantly it takes up a lot more space than Flash as HTML5 don't actually have real animation abilities other than to animate things frame by frame like an animated GIF. Anything we do in the future will probably be similar to the animated background effects.
codemonkey37179
2sammygate
items/features

even though you've said in the past that some of the animations would be far inferior under HTML5, wouldn't a far inferior animation be better than none at all once flash is killed?

In some cases, a conversion may not even be possible. We are looking at alternatives.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:39 pm
November 14th, 2017:

codemonkey37179
Jisen Meizuki
Feature

Seeing as how Gaia Chat is going to die due to Flash no longer working properly. Are we going to replace the feature with something else?

I know we have Discord, but there are few people who prefer not to use Discord and I see that the livestream uses Chatwee to chat with the community as well as streaming.

We hope to replace all the flash content we can with alternatives, including chat. Chatwee may be an option.

codemonkey37179
Nazune Miku
Features

Question:

I am unable to use towns and towns 2, Vh and rally
It tells me to enable flash

I've made this video of what happens to try and help figure it out (sorry for the music)

Wow, that does seem annoying. Are you getting this problem on any other sites?

Can you try another browser?

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:46 pm
December 5th, 2017:

codemonkey37179
machinations
Features

What will be the new avatar format/system? HTML5?

A lot of our stuff will be HTML5 from now on.
Lanzer
We don't have a new avatar format as of this moment. I'd love to have one but converting our current 150,000 items to any other format would be too much work.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:35 pm
December 13th, 2017:

codemonkey37179
Meridot
Features/Items

Hihi Team! Merry Christmas to all heart

I was curious about what is going to happen to the Astra items since Flash is being phased out. I personally love the Astra items and feel it would be a big shame if they were gone forever once flash finally gives up. Is there any chance of reworking them with a different system? (I admit don't really know much about programming, and I realise that no undertaking on Gaia is a small task.)

Hope you are all having a great December and aren't feeling too cold.

I don't have a solution to the Astra problem. At least not yet. I've done a few experiments but there is not a quick fix. I will keep trying and hopefully have a solution in 2018.

It is not cold at all here. Is it cold for you?

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:17 pm
December 19th, 2017:

[NPC] Gaia Staff
Welcome Back!

Quote:
Games

Any plans to update or redo some of the classic mini-games, like jigsaw or tiles?

Yes we do have plans to make new games or replace the old ones with HTML5 games, though it's a slow process.

codemonkey37179
Happy _Tropical_Flower
Games/ Features

I know it will take a while, but do any of you guys know the rough date you are possibly aiming for when all of Gaia's mini games and flash spaces will be coverted to HTML5? emotion_kirakira

I do not have any date rough or otherwise, but it is a project that I REALLY want to do!

codemonkey37179
2sammygate
games

even when you do convert most games to HTML5, can you leave the flash versions accessible?

While we can. There may be some day that it just won't work anymore.

codemonkey37179
Happy _Tropical_Flower
2sammygate
games

i don't even want to imagine the time and cost it would take to convert zOMG to HTML5. x_x

and with that, i have to go dog walking.

Oh my god... I wonder if CodeMonkey is up to the challenge? lol emotion_kirakira

He is not! Lol. The Zomg team, from what I have been told had a lot of devs working on it. I have heard numbers that at one time it may have had 12 devs working on it plus art staff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:34 pm
February 7th, 2018:

codemonkey37179
2sammygate
Lanzer
Adubo
Games - Aquarium
Could you improve Gaia Aquarium please? Transform in a good place to get platinum etc. I used to love playing old times, but now is almost abandoned. crying

We will be refreshing old flash games this year, though not sure if we can convert aquarium as it has so many flash content that is difficult to convert to HTML5 properly. We will however up the reward amount pretty soon.

it's such douchebaggery that they're discontinuing flash in a few years. ;_;

I know what you mean. I spent 15 years of my career on flash! However, after learning a few more things I'm ready to move on. It means a lot more efficient less laggy and mobile applications!

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:02 pm
February 27th, 2018:

codemonkey37179
Castiel Lover
Games

So what is the first game getting a redesign post-flash? Any chance of getting the DDR game from Prommaggedon some day?

It is a good question, but I don't honestly have an answer for you. I keep going back and forth over which one I want to tackle first. We haven't talked about it yet.

Maybe Jigsaw? I also want to put in some new ones.

codemonkey37179
Happy _Tropical_Flower
Features/Games/Aquariums

Since I read Lanzer mentioning that Aquariums code is so old, along with his not mentioning but other's mentioning that zOMG's code being old as well, once all Gaia games are upgraded to HTML5, will these games be left behind? Meaning, not exist on Gaia anymore?

We will always have them available. You'll just need a browser that can run flash.

Lanzer
shadowxcel
Features

Is there a fix on animated items while using Google Chrome's version of Adobe Flash when browsing on Gaia?

I think google had been disabling auto play for smaller flash files unfortunately. No thanks to all the autoplay ads in the market from recent years.

codemonkey37179
cloudseas
Games
With Flash going away, is there any chance of older games being moved to HTML5 or something non-flash?

Yes. A very high chance.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:39 pm
March 27th, 2018:

Lanzer
jenru
Would it be possible to take aquarium and housing items out of the daily chance until those games don't use flash any more? can't even open mine to add fish or items, so the daily chance items just keep adding up...

We'll take note and make those changes next time we update the daily chance

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:02 am
April 3rd, 2018:

codemonkey37179
glengrin
GAMES: Lake Kindred

Easy question, is Lake Kindred a flash or HTML5 game?

It is an Html5 game. Lionheart built it. Lionheart prefers the CreateJs library and I prefer Phaser.
Lanzer
LK is built in HTML5. We wish to bring as many of our games to HTML5 later this year

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:26 pm
April 10th, 2018:

Lanzer
Le Him
Items

Will Astras ever come back?
I think it would be cool to iterate the animation design into full items. I could see some special animations being thrown on items like Timekeeper or Sidra Hime!

Since flash is going away, the only way to add animation is through animated GIF, which ended up being pretty costly in terms of size and bandwidth. We might have something in the near future but it won't be as elaborate as what we used to have with Astra items.

Lanzer
Dundaclap
hi staff how goes it?

Items?

just wondering if there is any plans for astra items as they don't work anymore. I would like my little tears crying astra again.

(and more butter items are love too... just tossing the idea out)

Cool Astra items such as ones with transparency effect and high frame-rate can't be done anymore, but small effects such as tears is something we can look into in the future. Gotta spend some time to look into animating avatars in HTML5 or animated gif.

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25

Platonix

Captain

Eloquent Informer

37,875 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Waffles! 25
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:50 pm
May 8th, 2018:

Lanzer
ArgenSomnium
Games

Are there any plans to update zOMG! in the future? Anything from access to other areas like Durem or Aekea or even the original plan of connecting Buccaneer's Boardwalk to the Isle de Gambino. Just something to give the old players something to do and potential new players something to look forward too.

zOMG was developed in Flash and unfortunately having to create more assets such as towns in Flash is very unlikely. We're looking into the potential for porting to other systems but haven't found a good way to do so.

Answers, Sorted by Subject

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff