[PRP Yael] Full House [Zekiel | Ko] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:27 pm
There were a number of persons Zekiel intended to speak with regarding his move to Ilidan. That had been so even before the events of the public catastrophe and abduction before half of Pajore, but arguably even more so afterward. Many among his contacts were frequent churchgoers, but that did not dissuade him from making house visits, particularly with those he had closer ties with.

Ko Deokka and his family was among the latter crowd.

The boy especially had come to his notice some time ago on one of his not infrequent visits to Pajore’s orphanage. He enjoyed visiting there, particularly after ascending to the rank of cleric such that he could offer religious insight and tutelage on occasion to the children there when he found the time. If nothing else the orphan mother appreciated someone taking their attention off her hands, if only for a little while, but beyond that Zekiel personally loved it, both in the sense of sharing his faith and in particular getting to engage with such a young audience.

He had always loved children, and dedicating service hours to the orphanage allowed him for a moment to have a full nest of them.

Ko, of course, was no orphan. However, as Zekiel had come to see on the day they’d met and in subsequent encounters, the boy did come from an ever-busy family to an extent some might have labeled it too busy. Enough so, in any case, that Ko did not get all the attention his boisterous soul might have preferred, spurring him to seek avenues of attention and engagement elsewhere. The orphanage had been one such location, where he had had full opportunity to both play with other children but also show off what he was learning of his music and storytelling.

It did not hurt that the Deokka family was dedicated to their gods, and while Ko was perhaps not the most studious, he was certainly faithful, and Zekiel considered him to be a blessed spirit, ever abound with energy and positivity for the world about him. So it was that on this day, after tending to other duties — of which there was an endless supply in the wake of the events surrounding the abduction and dark spirits — he made his way toward the central hub of Pajore, where the prolific Deokka family made both home and business.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:40 pm

With arms laden high with folded sheets, Ko followed his mother through the threshold of the back door into their home, careful to count each step on the stairs lest he miss one and come tumbling down along with the clean linens. Visuals were less than optimal at the moment, but he felt confident in his abilities, even if all he could see was the weft-and-weave of the stacks of fabric in front of his nose. And it looked like today he was right, as the clean sheets made it safely to their home in the linen cabinet without any mishap.

His mother closed the doors with a heavy sigh, cracking her back as she turned to Ko, “Thanks honey. I don’t know where the twins ran off to; I’ll have to give it to em’ for not helping out as well.” Turning to a smaller set of drawers, she pulled out a clean rag, handing it off to her youngest. “Could you be a dear and head to the front? The upper shelves probably need some dusting, and I don’t think Embryelle has a clean cloth in the store.”

Ko nodded his head, scooting behind his mom to push at her lower back as he chirped in reply, “Can do! And you should sit down for a bit; you know how your feet can swell up when it’s too hot outside!”

She sighed again, waving his hand away as she kissed the top of his curly head, “Yes yes, I will. Just need to check on how the stew is coming along, then I’ll take a break. Maybe~” She patted his rear end in return, ushering him towards the door leading into the storefront, “You just take care of that, then maybe take a break yourself and find your brothers for me.”

The boy scowled, heading into the other room. She probably wasn’t going to take a break; mum liked to stay active. Even though she shouldn’t have to, with so many of his siblings around. But that was just the way she was, and one of the reasons his parents had done so well starting up their own business from the ground up. He walked through the storefront, past the shelves and displays carrying all sorts of the carving his family specialized in, to the impressive counter where his sister stood.

She was busy rubbing her thumb on a polished jewelry bow, barely glancing up as he entered, “What is it Ko? Please tell me you have a good reason for being in here instead of in the back helping mom.”

He stuck his tongue out at her, setting the clean cloth on the wooden countertop, “I do, Embryelle. She wanted me to deliver this to you, since you probably need it. Gonna work better than your thumb, probably. Specially for dusting. Which you need to do.” Before he let go of the rag, he stopped, floppy ears practically perking up as he asked, “Or I could do it?! Want me to do it?”

She cast him a skeptical look, adjusting her small glasses as she looked up at the room, “Hmm…I don’t know, Ko. The shelves are pretty high up, and you might knock something over…”

Before she could voice further points against his offer, he was already behind the counter, holding up the collapsible stepping-stool triumphantly, “I can reach them with this! And I’ll be suuuuper careful, don’t worry!” He wiggled his eyebrows at her, face contorting into an almost comical little smirk as his eyes glint, “Besides, this way you can stay at the counter in case a customer comes in, and I can just work while you talk to them. Multitasking and efficiency, I know how much you just looooove that!”

Embryelle drummed her fingers on the jewelry box, considering for a moment. He did have a point, and that way she wouldn’t have to get up and down the ladder a million times… She shrugged, gesturing out into the room, “Alright, go ahead. Just watch your elbows and don’t climb up too quickly; I don’t want to be chewed out for you falling and breaking your foolish neck.”

Grinning victoriously, he saluted her, scurrying out to the floor to set up the ladder as he chimed, “You won’t even know I’m here!” And in a tick he was already on the move, a small wooden clock in his hand as he started dusting everything off.

[1/10]  

MissMisnomer

Omnipresent Browser

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:31 am
It may have taken Zekiel slightly longer to arrive than he intended. Though a carriage was always an option, he much preferred to walk any distance that was walkable, and in the case of Pajore’s central business district when beginning from the Sanctum there was no question. It simply meant that along the way he was prone to receiving a number of interruptions. Not objectionable ones so far as he was concerned — friends, contacts, churchgoers and shop owners — but interruptions just the same.

Thus, by the time he arrived at the front of the little combination carpentry shop and residence of the Deokka household, it was only after conversing with the Mardreds, the Gagravons, the Brawmaths, Madam Larthal, and Miss Baines among a few scattered others, who each had occasion to stop him upon recognizing him in his walk and taking a few minutes each to catch up.

Fortunately, it still left him with plenty of afternoon for his intended destination, and as he made his way to the shop front, he could see from within miss Embryelle dutifully at the counter, and a darting scurry of movement which he suspected, on a happenstance guess, to be Ko’s young head of hair up to something. Were it entirely a residence he would have knocked, but being that it doubled as their business out front, open to customers as they came, he opted simply to open the door upon arrival.

All but immediately, his eyes found Ko, perched up on his little stool and dusting away. Zekiel smiled.

“The gods reward attention to duty,” he greeted, “but I should think I will miss your music most of all.” Turning his attention to Embryelle, his eyes shone, bright with amusement. “It must be exciting to trust an elevated and delicate task to one of such energy. Is the family well?”  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:58 pm

As the small bell at the door tinkled pleasantly, Ko glanced over curiously to see who had come into the store. His face lit up when he saw the familiar man of the clergy, pivoting on his stool excitedly, “Oh!?! Hello, Mr. Zekie―” But that was briskly cut off when he stumbled, turning too quickly in his haste to greet their guest. Luckily enough, their father was a firm believer in putting precautions into protecting things you find precious, so when Ko grabbed onto the lip of the shelf to halt his fall, the well constructed piece stayed firmly anchored against the wall. After a few tense moments, he righted his footing again, looking up at the pair with a sheepish grin.

His sister had closed her eyes, opening them again with a pained look on her face when she failed to hear the telltale crash of something hitting the floor. Seeing the look on his face, she pinched the bridge of her nose as she snapped, “Gods give me strength, Ko! It’s been literally a minute!” But she was a composed girl by nature, so after taking a steadying breath, she directed herself towards Zekiel, bowing ever-so-slightly, “Please forgive the outburst, Sir. As you can see, exciting is a word that hardly seems like it captures the struggle.” She righted her glasses as she continued, “The family is as well as it can be. Business has been good this last quarter. What blessing brings you to our establishement?”

[2/10]  

MissMisnomer

Omnipresent Browser

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:41 am
MissMisnomer

Zekiel watched with curious intent, as an audience member might while witnessing a live play before them. He was too distanced from the boy to do anything, and this was the reaction the gods had chosen, so it was only a matter at that point for him to observe as it unfolded. Fortunately, the gods apparently intended no tragic ending, but instead a brief interlude of sharp anxiety followed by relief and amusement. Releasing a breath that had caught in his throat instinctively, he smiled.

“Good morning, Ko,” he greeted. “Fortuitous chaos befits you. It is wondrous to see you as always.” At his sister’s apology, Zekiel turned his attention there and his smile broadened, silver eyes warm with amusement. “There is nothing to forgive, I think. Excitement comes in many splendid forms. The gods at least granted him good health and luck alongside the small storm he brings to a room. I am glad to hear you are well.”

At the latter question, though, he tipped his head just a notch, glancing Ko’s way before speaking. “I’ve something to say for which, perhaps, everyone should be grounded before hearing. I wanted to meet once with all of the Deokka family again as there will forthwith be coming a change in my circumstances.”  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:39 pm

Embryelle’s eyebrows knit themselves into a straight line, as something about that statement had a bit of an ominous air to it. Which coming from a priest, couldn’t be good. Ko picked up on his sister’s reaction, stepping down from the stool carefully before coming over to join them both. He wringed the rag between his hands, looking up at Zekiel. “I hope that this isn’t bad news. That’d be unfortunate!”

For once, she felt that she agreed with her younger brother. But Zekkiel had said that he’d wanted to meet with the whole Deokka family before revealing the news, so they really ought to wait before prying for more information. She rapped her knuckles on the counter thoughtfully, interjecting again, “Well, if you’d like to talk with the family, the best time to do that might be just about now. This is usually the point in the day where we close up everything for a bit to all have lunch together. We usually make more than enough food, would you care to join us?” She paused, pursing her lips. “Though it might be a bit more...exciting, as you call it...than you might be ready for.”

[3/10]  

MissMisnomer

Omnipresent Browser

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:35 am
Zekiel blinked.

Bad?

“Oh, no,” he assured. “It is nothing to be concerned with. In many ways it is very good news.” As Embryelle spoke up again, however, he beamed. “I think that would be wondrous and an honor. Excitement is ever welcome, particularly of young Ko’s variety.”

He’d had enough time spent around the boy to be more accustomed to it than his sister seemed to realize, but that was just as well. He knew, too, that there were far more to the Deokka clan than these two, and though he had met many of them in various portions in the past, he couldn’t say if he had ever been to see all of them at a given instance before. It would be a good experience to have, he thought.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:37 pm

User Image
“Mmh,” the girl grunted in affirmation, making a bit of a face as she tucked away the supplies on her desk. She wasn’t one for too much excitement, especially of the Ko variety. But to each their own. Some people enjoyed that kind of thing.

“Well, I am VERY glad that the news isn’t bad!” Ko chirped, scooting around to lock the door behind Zekiel. “I think you’ll like what mom’s made; it’s this thick stew with all kinds of vegetables in it, she usually gets it started in the morning, so it’s been simmering all day. That’s how you get the flavors nice; you’ve gotta just be patient and almost forget about the stuff!” He flipped the sign in the window to inform passerby that they were closed, and tossed the dusty rag into a basket behind the counter, coming back to Zekiel’s side as he kept chittering. “Which mum is great at, but I just take it too literally: I can count on two hands the number of times it’s gotten a little burnt when I’ve tried doing it. I guess I just worry that the meat’s not gonna be cooked properly, so I throw too much wood in the fire. But then that gets it too hot, so the NEXT time, I don’t put enough in, and stuff gets all mushy and crusty at the bottom. So yeah...cooking is an art. But I’m just not much of an artist with food I guess!”

[4/10]  

MissMisnomer

Omnipresent Browser

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:48 am
MissMisnomer

Zekiel smiled, watching Ko hop about like a small bird as he spoke. As much as there was to be pleased about in the world, there was great turmoil too, and many of Yael’s citizens showed that stress very visibly, particularly of late. It could be felt in the air sometimes he thought, but by contrast, Ko managed to remain a bounding beacon of positivity, and it was a small wonder to behold. The home, too, despite doubling as a shop or perhaps in part because of it, evoked a powerful sense of family and their combined effort as a unit.

The gods had blessed this home with many lives, and all of them the opportunity to share it together, at least for this date.

“It is good news,” he promised, eyes warming as he listened and watched. “And it does sound wondrously delicious…” His eyebrows rose a touch at the advice of needing nearly to forget, and found after that he expected he’d have similar results as Ko if he attempted it. “I think she must have a special magic,” he admitted, “to be able nearly to forget something but not. I find that if I nearly forget, I almost always also do forget shortly after. It’s a very easy step at that point, and if you have made it so many times it must be good enough to eat after that your mother has you continue to.”

As they moved out of the front section of the shop, Zekiel murmured a quick prayer of blessing for the room.

“Perhaps the variety in what you make is its own art. I am sure it never tastes exactly the same.”  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:13 am

User Image
Pushing the door open, Embryelle snorted as she held it fast while the boys passed through into the storage room. “That’s an understatement: tasting one of Ko’s soups is like stepping off a cliff in a cave. Maybe there’s a platform right there? Maybe it’s nothing but a cavernous pit? Maybe you might find some gold? He can get a little adventurous with the ingredients sometimes. The unpredictability is truly one of the world’s greatest mysteries and horrors.”

Ko scooted to the front of the group, sticking his tongue out at the girl as he passed. “I’m going to take that as a compliment. You know what they say: variety is the spice of life!” He toed a crate that was too far into the walkway, clearing the path for Zekiel. “You didn’t seem to mind it so much when we had cinnamon-carrot-parsnip stew last week! I seem to remember you getting THREE refills of the stuff!”

She rolled her eyes, shutting the store room door behind her. “I was just trying to permanently erase the scarring on my tongue from that HORRIFIC thing you served us the week before that.” Turning her look Zekiel’s way, she gestured over at Ko. “Go on and ask him Father; what ungodly combination of ingredients can your imagination craft? Because I GUARANTEE, it will not be as bad as what he ACTUALLY created.”

[5/10]  

MissMisnomer

Omnipresent Browser

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:28 am
MissMisnomer

Zekiel glanced to Embryelle, and found his smile broadening with amusement at the description. “It does sound very exciting,” he said. “I think I would like it. The gods do love mystery.”

As Ko scooted past, Zekiel followed cooperatively, but at Embryelle’s request, he blinked and paused to give the boy his full attention. What ungodly combination of ingredients can your imagination craft? It was an interesting thing, to study him and attempt to picture for a moment what it might be like in Ko’s head, particularly with such a free range art such as cooking.

“I imagine the possibilities are endless,” he said. “But…” What went ‘poorly’ together? Zekiel wasn’t much of a cook himself, though he had learned some, his own recipes were limited mostly to fish dishes, as that was what Marleya had taught him to cook predominantly. “Chocolate, yellowgill and oregano…with lard and sugar.”  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:58 am

User Image
“Hmm, a noble effort.” The girl huffed, shaking her head. “But no, I’m afraid you aren’t quite in the realm of nightmares yet with that guess.”

Ko puffed his cheeks, looking much like an indignant little bullfrog. “Okay but it wasn’t THAT bad, and there was a GOOD REASON I put in all the stu-”

Embryelle rested an elbow atop his curly head, shushing him with her other hand. “This little composer put together his magnum-opus of terror for our culinary enjoyment, which included the frightening ingredients of grape jelly, pickled asparagus, beets, peaches, calamari, and a mystery meat that we later discovered was none other than the humble green-ridge oyster.”

By now Ko was blushing, swatting at her hand as he slipped out from under her arm. “I wasn’t trying to poison you guys or anything!” He looked over at Zekiel, big eyes wide as he mewled plaintively. “She’s making it sound way worse than it was, really! Only Trystaan threw up, but he’s ALWAYS had a weak stomach!”

Propping open the far door, Embryelle strode through into the squat corridor leading outside. “And do you want to guess what all these things had in common?” Disappearing for a moment, she returned, brandishing a large jar filled with red vegetables. “Bingo: they were all taken from our pantry, in jars just like this. He figured it would be a GRAND idea to use up all our canned things that were going to be spoiling soon in ONE batch, and just threw everything into the pot. The smell itself...it could kill a man.” At that she shuddered, haunted by the memory. Ko, for his part, was gripping his ears in both fists, shoulders hunched up as he glowered at his sister, face red as the vegetables in her jar.

[6/10]  

MissMisnomer

Omnipresent Browser

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:23 am
MissMisnomer

Not quite within the realm of nightmares. Well, Zekiel supposed it wasn’t all that much of a surprise Ko had managed to be more inventive. He did, however, find himself wildly curious after all the build up, and when Ko’s cheeks puffed with his defense, only to puff quiet under his sister’s hand, Zekiel could almost laugh just at the sight, but managed to not.

‘Composer’ seemed to be the perfect word of choice, as it turned out, for the description that followed, and Zekiel had to admit it did sound very — unique and complex. Trying to imagine all of the flavors simultaneously was almost impossible, though Zekiel did spend a moment trying, and couldn’t account for the expression he might have made while in thought, though he was still fairly sure he was unsuccessful by the end. Ko’s color, however, was impressive in its own right, and it was impossible not to empathize with eyes like that.

Only Trystan.

Zekiel put a hand to his mouth, attempting too late to fully cover the sound of mirth that bubbled up as a result—not at the brother’s once upon a time experience, of course, but rather how earnestly Ko entreated with this information. His eyes moved to follow the sister, though, and then—

Oh.

Well, it did make a lot of sense. If, not perhaps the most singularly processible of dishes. “I think,” Zekiel said, “if only Trystan’s stomach could not carry it through him, it was most certainly a victory given the ingredients. It is a very bold combination, and I imagine your family must have very talented and healthy guts to manage to keep what they did down.”

In fact, Zekiel was fairly impressed it had been eaten at all—fainter souls may not have persevered. It was undeniably a very special family.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:54 am

User Image
Emryelle grimaced, placing the jar into the pantry as she came back into the hallway. “Well, believe me Father; it was one of the most trying experiences of my life. But mother insists that food is never to be wasted, no matter the state in which it arrives at your plate. Though admittedly, she was lenient that afternoon: we only had to finish ONE bowl each. The rest of the pot was, understandable, fed to the drain outside. As was Trystaan’s puke that Ko had to clean up.”

If he could have, Ko would’ve crawled into his hermit crab shell and just stayed in there for a while, picking up the pieces of his pride before he ventured out again. But that wasn’t to be the case, as a strong feminine voice rang from the doorway opposite the pantry. “Embryelle? Ko? Who are you talking to? Is it the twins? Did they finally come back?”

Ko opened one of his eyes, a pained look scrunching up his nose. “No mum, they’re not here!” He twisted his fingers together, darting into the doorway out of sight. “I’m going to get the table ready, we’ve got an extra guest!”

Her voice sounded again, this time with more confusion. “Wait, what? Who is it, why didn’t you let me know? Wait Ko, hold on, answer me!” She leaned out of the doorway herself, large ladle in hand. “Embryelle, why’s Ko so flushed? And who’s-” As her eyes landed on Zekiel, they widened significantly, stepping out completely into the hallway as she wiped her sweaty brow off. “Father Zekiel! What a surprise! I’m sorry, if I had known you were coming, I might have made something nicer. What...what brings you here? Did Ko do something wrong? ”

[7/10]  

MissMisnomer

Omnipresent Browser

Miss Chief aka Uke

Rainbow Fairy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:17 am
MissMisnomer

Zekiel found he didn’t doubt Embryelle for an instant, and found himself impressed anew at the respect the mother of the household commanded. An entire bowl each, for all of—twelve children, was it? And to only lose one. He wondered if each of the ingredients individually wouldn’t have simply been easier to stomach, but perhaps that spoiled the art of it, and Ko had been aiming for efficiency, after all.

At the new voice, Zekiel blinked, and had only a moment to wonder why Ko looked so anxious before he darted out of view.

He beamed as the woman leaned out, though he managed to feel a pinch of guilt at her surprise—hopefully it would not be extra effort to seat him on short notice. “It smells wondrous already,” he assured her, “I am sure each thing you make is the nicest you have yet. And, Ko and Embryelle promise me it is safest with you holding the ladle, so I am most appreciative of your efforts…”

At the question, though, he had to wonder how often Ko’s wandering feet found mischief. He shook his head.

“No, Ko is in no trouble I am aware of,” Ze said. “He has only been complimenting your cooking and discussing the creativity of his culinary experimentations. I actually…came with some news I thought I might share with your family, and your daughter invited me to break bread. I hope there is no burden.”  
◈ Tendaji [RP Area]

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff