Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Why? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taylr752

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:37 pm
Seriously, they say there god loves all and then they insult us (athiest) call us murderous, unloving, sick, evil people. What did we ever do to them. Like I had a friend who we were friends for like 2 years, then he invites me to church, I tell him Im athiest, and he doesnt answer, he walks away and never talked to me again.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:59 pm
Some people are closed minded about it and some aren't. Those who act that way are being hypocritical to their faith.
I haven't had problems with any of my friends who are theists. Some knew me before I was atheist as well and they didn't try to argue/convert or anything.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

TofuDreamer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:53 pm
There's nothing you can really do about it. It's their choice on how they act. It's like my friends calling me close minded for being agnostic/atheist. They tell me to live a little and believe in a higher being. I can't do anything about it. I feel the same way about them but frankly, I don't really give a damn. The best thing I can do is try to change the subject.

And F.Y.I, this goes for all sides.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:00 am
The only one who I have problems with being that way is my younger brother who is a religious zombie. I just try to ignore him when he tries to debate my reasons for being athiest, because he isn't all that good at debating, and he isn't intelligent enough to bring anything relevent into a discussion.

Some people are like that on both sides. The best thing to do is remember that if a person acts ill towards you because you are an athiest or agnostic...there is nothing you can do about it. Be the better person, by being respectful and don't let it get you down.

If a so called "Friend" is going to turn thier back on you because you believe in one less god that he/she does, than that person really isn't all that much of a "Friend". At least that is the way I view things.

Sanguvixen

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:22 am
Sanguvixen
If a so called "Friend" is going to turn thier back on you because you believe in one less god that he/she does, than that person really isn't all that much of a "Friend". At least that is the way I view things.

True that. They should be able to look past it if you're friends. Maybe even if they had a bad initial reaction, you think they'd be able to realize that you were still a good friend all that time even though you were atheist and they didn't know it. o.x  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:05 am
c a u s t i c
Sanguvixen

True that. They should be able to look past it if you're friends. Maybe even if they had a bad initial reaction, you think they'd be able to realize that you were still a good friend all that time even though you were atheist and they didn't know it. o.x

Very true. However it is amazing how they don't think about it sometimes. They'll be best friends for a few years...and when one figures out the other is athiest or of some completely different beleif system than they are....Boom! There goes the friendship, gone down the drain.

If they got along before the person knew...than what difference does the beliefs really make?

Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:41 am
As a side note...how proud are christians of this?

In Aghanistan a Muslim man is being tried by courts for converting from Islam into Christianity. He converted to Christianty while working with a Christian Aid Group.

Well...he went for a custody battle to gain his two daughters who were living with grandparents. When he was seen with a bible he was arrested....and if charged and found guilty he'll be killed. For some reason converting from Islam into another religion is considered a crime in that area, with the punishment of death.

Are they proud. Because a man converted he now faces death.

How ironic. I feel sorry for the man.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:30 pm
The church has brainwashed all of society into thinking how they want them to. Christians are forced to believe that certain things are wrong, and evil (homosexuality and atheism for example). My basic idea of the church and Christianity is a way for the society to be kept in check and controlled. Those who are close-minded obviously live too much with their God and not enough with friends, family, and the actual, real things.  

Rune WolfHaven

Taylr752

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:02 pm
Kibeth
The church has brainwashed all of society into thinking how they want them to. Christians are forced to believe that certain things are wrong, and evil (homosexuality and atheism for example). My basic idea of the church and Christianity is a way for the society to be kept in check and controlled. Those who are close-minded obviously live too much with their God and not enough with friends, family, and the actual, real things.
exactly  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:05 pm
Also today these like kids who think there all that and run there mouths and s**t, Me and my friends are kinda sometimes sterotyped as devil worshipers and stuff (not because we look like it at all) because we listen to like Avenged Sevenfold and know alot about assaination, and evil things. They were like say hello to the devil for me, and I said I dont believe in the devil Im athiest, and they kept saying are you insulting my religion? And I was like no Im just stating what I am and believe in.  

Taylr752

idiotic randomness

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:47 pm
i hate those type of people  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:51 am
Thats something weird:
if Atheist don't believe in any kind of good...Why they believe that we wordship the devil?
confused

When the church has solded so many easy answers to the most complicated questions, all the people want to be sure that what they think , is real, and when we, the atheist, say another different thing, they think that we are lying, cose they belive in what is most simple

We don't have the ansewrs, but they have the worng ones.  

Kiaori Moon Warrior

Combative Gaian

DivideByZero14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:38 pm
I cannot understand why such attitudes still exist. Not only that, but they are championed and applauded by the authorities. (This is down in Georgia, where I live; I can't say much about the rest of the country.)

For example, today, some students were reading their entries into a contest called "MySouth" sponsored by the Turner South channel. It was rather boring, until someone mentioned "the one almighty God" in their passage and quoted the bible. Over half the school leaped to their feet and applauded him wildly. I felt like curling up in a corner, or socking a few of them. One or the other.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:02 pm
The church is the one who homes all the unloving people. I dress in black alot... and my mom forces me to go to church for no reason that I can see. Well, when I go, they talk about me. They say I am a dark and evil person, that I worship Satan, and that I am a horrible person in general.

They do not even know me and yet they continue to talk about me like they have known me forever. I hate it.

I may be an atheist, but I am not a bad person. I am actually a fairly nice person, and I don't want them talking about me like that.

I was told that Christians are nice people, and it has yet to be proven. All I see is people who love to talk about others behind their back. They show no love to outsiders.

Yami_Ichi

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 4:17 pm
Yami_Ichi
The church is the one who homes all the unloving people. I dress in black alot... and my mom forces me to go to church for no reason that I can see. Well, when I go, they talk about me. They say I am a dark and evil person, that I worship Satan, and that I am a horrible person in general.

They do not even know me and yet they continue to talk about me like they have known me forever. I hate it.

I may be an atheist, but I am not a bad person. I am actually a fairly nice person, and I don't want them talking about me like that.

I was told that Christians are nice people, and it has yet to be proven. All I see is people who love to talk about others behind their back. They show no love to outsiders.

Don't let it worry you too much. Just look forward to when you come out on your own, because than no-one, not even parents, can force you to go to church.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff