Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Pokémon Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's #1 Pokémon Guild. Come talk, trade, battle, or just hang out! 

Tags: Pokemon, Black White, HeartGold SoulSilver, ORAS, Nintendo 

Reply Off Topic
Is it just me or...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Did they just stole the look?
  Yes
  No
  Gold @_@
View Results

Marc Gosgosh

Supportive Gaian

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:36 am
did they copy Sylveon's look for Dainty Dragonslayer?

http://www.gaiaonline.com/marketplace/itemdetail/10126171

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:23 pm
The ribbons do look similar to Sylveon's, true.

And I guess the name "Dainty Dragonslayer" is also a dead giveaway.

Prismatic B

Enigmatic Heart

41,715 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Regular Attendee 100
  • Very Thankful 25

starkaat

A Pal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:29 am
No idea what you're talking about. wink
For more examples check out Not Tomorrow, I Choose You, etc.

Gaia does this with lots of stuff. You probably recognize the inspiration for Galactic Soldier, for instance. Items range from "thematically similar, but still pretty unique" to "yeah this is blatantly That Thing." Some of it treads into sketchy legality, but users eat it up, so... The knockoff train never stops.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:58 am
starkaat
No idea what you're talking about. wink
For more examples check out Not Tomorrow, I Choose You, etc.

Gaia does this with lots of stuff. You probably recognize the inspiration for Galactic Soldier, for instance. Items range from "thematically similar, but still pretty unique" to "yeah this is blatantly That Thing." Some of it treads into sketchy legality, but users eat it up, so... The knockoff train never stops.

Yea. One Winged Soldier is just another (FF VII AC)

But concerning the Galactic Soldier: I cant understand that one. Looks a lot like some WH 40k stuff...and normally GW is quick if someone "steals" from them.

Marc Gosgosh

Supportive Gaian

starkaat

A Pal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:43 am
Marc Gosgosh

Yea. One Winged Soldier is just another (FF VII AC)

But concerning the Galactic Soldier: I cant understand that one. Looks a lot like some WH 40k stuff...and normally GW is quick if someone "steals" from them.

You got it. Galactic Soldier is a take on a few different examples of the space marine archetype, but mostly the ones from 40k. Even comes complete with a faux-tyrannid.
Not sure why gaia didn't get in trouble over that one, as GW is very litigious. The design may be just different enough to avoid infringing, or the fact that it's based on more than one property might have given it protection as parody/homage? Realistically, the item probably never made it to the GW radar. It wasn't very popular here on release (not the primary gaia demographic, and that armor color certainly isn't easy to work with), so I guess no one was bothered enough to raise the trademark alarm that time.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:23 am
Umbreon "Cosplay" *cough cough*

I believe one day we will be able to cosplay every friggin' one of the pokemon rolleyes  

Marc Gosgosh

Supportive Gaian

starkaat

A Pal

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:08 pm
Haunter item recently as well. Dragonslayer was very well received; I wouldn't be surprised if we get even more in that style. lol  
Off Topic

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games