Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
MTF Makeup tips? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CuriousColt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:25 am
Hello, I have recently started my quest (trying to make it sound like LOTR and s**t) to make the transition from male to female and have questions about the basics of make up. This probably is not very hard to understand but I tend to over analyze everything anyhow, I have been watching videos on youtube and trying to figure out exactly what I need to get started. Now my questions, sorry about my ramblings. sweatdrop heart

Is primer or the liquid stuff you put on your face before the foundation necessary?

Will the concealer NW20 work for under eye bags as well as covering up pimples and such?

How much does brush quality matter? Everyone on youtube keeps recommending sigma but every other brand is so much cheaper!

I had more questions but I have forgot sweatdrop shitballs  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:01 am
primer depends on your skin. i have oily skin so i NEED my primers for foundation and eye shadow. it helps keep the makeup on longer

concealer is meant to conceal. if i have eye bags i dab a teeny tiny bit under my eyes to help make me look more awake.

brush quality is everything. dont even bother with those cheap brushes, sometimes you get a good one but more often than not its a waste of money. cheap brushes lose their hairs a lot. most art supply stores will have sales on some good quality brushes so check there before you shell out $20 for a foundation brush. im mostly a sponge and finger user though

my sister and i are makeup fanatics so if you think of any more questions please feel free to ask  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

CuriousColt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 am
Shanna66
primer depends on your skin. i have oily skin so i NEED my primers for foundation and eye shadow. it helps keep the makeup on longer

concealer is meant to conceal. if i have eye bags i dab a teeny tiny bit under my eyes to help make me look more awake.

brush quality is everything. dont even bother with those cheap brushes, sometimes you get a good one but more often than not its a waste of money. cheap brushes lose their hairs a lot. most art supply stores will have sales on some good quality brushes so check there before you shell out $20 for a foundation brush. im mostly a sponge and finger user though

my sister and i are makeup fanatics so if you think of any more questions please feel free to ask

Thank you!

What do you think about the Dior Airflash Spray foundation I was going to use something a little cheaper but then I saw Gigi's video and she's so prettttttyyy ughhhhhh  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:59 am
I'm not very familiar with makeup myself but my good friend said she JUST figured out how to do her own makeup, she's going on twenty years of age now, and she learned at one of those makeup stands or whatever where the professionals do it for you and explain it, etc.

That would be my best suggestion. They likely won't know a lot about MtF makeup tips however, regardless of that, they should know how to best give you your desired makeup results c:

Saint Sims
Crew

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

11,865 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:06 am
CuriousColt
Shanna66

Thank you!

What do you think about the Dior Airflash Spray foundation I was going to use something a little cheaper but then I saw Gigi's video and she's so prettttttyyy ughhhhhh

i try not to pay more than $50 for my foundation. it looks expensive and looks like you wouldnt have much control over the product so i probably wouldnt get it.

i use smashbox, i paid $50 for a starter kit that came with a primer, concealer, foundation, and a powder. they said it would last a month but it lasted me nearly a year since i use it lightly. the powder lasted over a year since i only use it when its hot out to help absorb some of the oils in my skin  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:21 am
Der Fluch des Pharao
I'm not very familiar with makeup myself but my good friend said she JUST figured out how to do her own makeup, she's going on twenty years of age now, and she learned at one of those makeup stands or whatever where the professionals do it for you and explain it, etc.

That would be my best suggestion. They likely won't know a lot about MtF makeup tips however, regardless of that, they should know how to best give you your desired makeup results c:

I'll be honest I think your idea is good, but I am really self conscious right now my hair is so shorttttttt and what not gonk I have tried headbands but it's just not long enough yet to be passable. I have pretty feminine facial features but a giant alien coming out of my neck which is probably why I am so self conscious right now, scarves are on the way from H&M maybe when they get here.  

CuriousColt

CuriousColt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:24 am
Shanna66
CuriousColt
Shanna66

Thank you!

i try not to pay more than $50 for my foundation. it looks expensive and looks like you wouldnt have much control over the product so i probably wouldnt get it.

i use smashbox, i paid $50 for a starter kit that came with a primer, concealer, foundation, and a powder. they said it would last a month but it lasted me nearly a year since i use it lightly. the powder lasted over a year since i only use it when its hot out to help absorb some of the oils in my skin

This might be a dumb question but how do I know if my skin is too oily? Is it trial and error or is there a way you can tell?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:43 am
CuriousColt

This might be a dumb question but how do I know if my skin is too oily? Is it trial and error or is there a way you can tell?

This might help. I have very oily skin, so during midday, I can feel the oil(it's not a lot, but you can still feel it). I tend to bring baby wipes around with me to wipe my face down. I mean, they clean my face, make it smell nice and if babies can use it to wipe everything(dirty fingers, mouths, etc.) then I can use it too. Only products I use are the tea tree products from The Body Shop. I love the pore-minimizer and the concealer. I had white heads under my eyes for years and after using the combination of those 2, as well as the face wash, they've disappeared!!  

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:50 am
CuriousColt
Shanna66
CuriousColt
Shanna66

Thank you!

for me its been a bunch of trial an error. my sister and i have had to learn all this girly stuff on our own so pretty much all of what we learned is from trial and error  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:05 pm
Shanna66
CuriousColt
Shanna66
CuriousColt
Shanna66

Thank you!

for me its been a bunch of trial an error. my sister and i have had to learn all this girly stuff on our own so pretty much all of what we learned is from trial and error

Are you MTF? Sorry Cannot tell if your MTF or just a girl, if you are do you have any tips about feminizing my voice?  

CuriousColt

CuriousColt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:14 pm
DeathxGrip
CuriousColt

This might help. I have very oily skin, so during midday, I can feel the oil(it's not a lot, but you can still feel it). I tend to bring baby wipes around with me to wipe my face down. I mean, they clean my face, make it smell nice and if babies can use it to wipe everything(dirty fingers, mouths, etc.) then I can use it too. Only products I use are the tea tree products from The Body Shop. I love the pore-minimizer and the concealer. I had white heads under my eyes for years and after using the combination of those 2, as well as the face wash, they've disappeared!!
I'll try that out!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:17 pm
CuriousColt
Shanna66
CuriousColt
Shanna66
CuriousColt
Shanna66

Thank you!

Are you MTF? Sorry Cannot tell if your MTF or just a girl, if you are do you have any tips about feminizing my voice?

im cis, just have some masculine features, one of those features being a deep voice lol

learn to pretend to be confident. and practice using a higher pitch voice when talking to people, hopefully you have a friend to help you out with this

though to be perfectly honest you could be the most feminine woman in the world and you may still have someone get your gender wrong. i had a customer come in a while ago and asked if i was girl or not because i dont shave my arms  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

CuriousColt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:29 pm
Shanna66
CuriousColt
Shanna66
CuriousColt
Shanna66

im cis, just have some masculine features, one of those features being a deep voice lol

learn to pretend to be confident. and practice using a higher pitch voice when talking to people, hopefully you have a friend to help you out with this

though to be perfectly honest you could be the most feminine woman in the world and you may still have someone get your gender wrong. i had a customer come in a while ago and asked if i was girl or not because i don't shave my arms

Awh thank you, transitioning will be awkward at times. Do you mind if I give you a PM if I have any questions when my make up comes in? (ordered from amazon)  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:20 pm
CuriousColt
Shanna66
CuriousColt
Shanna66
CuriousColt
Shanna66

though to be perfectly honest you could be the most feminine woman in the world and you may still have someone get your gender wrong. i had a customer come in a while ago and asked if i was girl or not because i don't shave my arms

Awh thank you, transitioning will be awkward at times. Do you mind if I give you a PM if I have any questions when my make up comes in? (ordered from amazon)

of course i dont mind smile  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:24 pm
                well, along with what other people said, i'd try to make your face look rounder- typically, womens' faces are rounder. so, try contouring and stuff to do that. on top of that, play up your best features- like your eyes? play up the eyes, and so on.

i wear little to no makeup (mascara, eyeliner(sometimes), and a bit of eyeshadow- sometimes filling in eyebrows), so i'd take my advice with a grain of salt.

however, a simple formula is framing the face- so, your eyebrows (filling them in, highlighting, etc.), lashes, and lips.

good luck, dear!
                x

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas