Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hopefolly

Familiar Celebrant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:40 pm
User Image

Asban's captain was a vicious brute even by Stormborn standards. Rumor had it he'd ordered his wife's thrall to stand on the borders while he was away, subjecting her to the possibility of attacks by incoming rogues or those assuming her an escapee. No one knew the reason, but the theories varied. Each was more ridiculous than the last. None were impossible. Had Asban known, he'd have found a solution himself. That thrall was far too beautiful to waste away as a corpse. Good looks had not been her only blessing; after two days and three nights, she was granted an unofficial pardon by one of the Warlord's sons and gladly accepted, too stupid to know she may have signed her death warrant.

Since then, the days and nights had been many. The Warlord's merciful cub had grown into his mane and out of his bleeding heart from what Asban could tell. Any interest he'd had in that lion waned. Turned out predictably as one could hope and nothing more, as they all had in his eyes.

Left with nothing to preoccupy him, Asban wavered between bored and concerned. His captain and fellow reavers were nowhere to be found. Had something happened? A storm? A disease? An attack by larger group? He couldn't turn back time and go with them, but he could depart in the here and now to find answers.

This was the morning he did exactly that. First, he gorged himself on anything available, bird or beast. Hunting alone in unclaimed territory was not all the mindless adventurers cracked it up to be. His stomach and mind both had plenty to digest on his way out of the pride.

SilverLutz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:53 pm
User Image

When something caught Sebor's attention, it didn't let go, especially when that something had to do with her personal life. She liked most aspects of the Stormborn, but it certainly wasn't perfect, and now she knew that if she had been born a few generations earlier, it would have been. Females hadn't always been looked down upon here, she had discovered. Females used to be equal with males, able to take on any position they desired and earned, just as a male could. She also learned that females could take other positions even today, but it was a rough road to get there.

Dis had shared quite a few novel ideas with Sebor, and she held on to them dearly now. She had a mission, and she would see it through to the end. The problem would be getting someone to vouch for her, to believe in her, to stand beside her...and that someone had to be male. She knew it would be a hard battle, but one particular lion stuck out in her mind from their brief chat a while ago.

It was just her luck that she spotted Asban a ways off, near the edge of the pride. She narrowed her eyes and trotted after him, intent on keeping close. Sebor knew he was a part of a group that would go out viking, but why he was leaving on his own was a bit odd.

She followed him silently outside of the prides lands, not a care for the 'rules'. Freeborn were not supposed to leave the pride without permission or a good reason, and simply following the male probably wouldn't fly. But Sebor was on the course to being recognized as an equal, and she wasn't about to stop.

"A bit strange to leave without your viking group, isn't it?" she called out after a few more minutes of silent following.

Hopefolly

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

Hopefolly

Familiar Celebrant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:52 pm
SilverLutz

To follow a lion undetected took skill. When that lion was a reaver it required the individual to have a certain vapid quality where intellect was concerned. Asban was too smart for just anyone to hide from, and Sebor was too boisterous for him to think she'd been trying. He could only hope it wasn't her lurking there.

Hope was rarely of any use.

Not as strange as some might think, Asban thought. One more step and he considered the trouble she might find herself in if someone decided the thralls weren't enough anymore. Two more and he wondered how much he cared. Three more and he had yet to decide, though his about-face was likely answer enough.

"Sebor," he drawled, slow and warm, but with an edge that made the punch line inevitable. In reciting her name he found time to move closer, but never within reach. "If you wanted time alone, all you had to do was ask. No need to get yourself beaten for it."

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:14 pm
Sebor wrinkled her nose as Asban spoke. The tone in his voice was far from serious, but she didn't enjoy that type of banter, even if she was close friends with someone. While the male had the potential to become a friend, right now they were still very touch-and-go. Still, she had to peruse him if she wanted a chance at proving herself to someone within the pride.

"Very charming," she said, her tone dry. "Now tell me where you're going. I want to come, regardless of where it is, but I may know the direction." She had been in the rouge lands her whole life and knew the immediate area fairly well, having spent quite a few months outside the Stormborn, getting to know the lay of the land.

"I was under the impression that females couldn't become reavers at all," she informed him in the next breath as to explain her desire for going with him. "But since our last meeting that information has been proven false, and that I need only prove myself to the proper lions if I wish to grow in rank. Therefore, an expedition with a respectful lion like yourself will be a good stepping stone in my journey. No need to worry," she added, glancing up at the larger lion. "I certainly will put in a good word for you once I change my rank."

Hopefolly

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

Hopefolly

Familiar Celebrant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:33 pm
Asban wanted peace and quiet, but he wouldn't be getting that either. She might know the direction? Plausible if he'd been seeking a place, but the captain's warpath was without a method to the madness, let alone a route. He'd have told her as much if her follow-up hadn't distracted him from it.

"From whom?" was all he asked, his brows angled down and pressing together. First assumption was a less... courteous male had been feeding her untruths to lead her straight into trouble. The thought of it nearly had his claws out. He'd never known them to be the loyal sort here, but to knowingly lead your own astray to the point of risking their life, while not surprising, was a step too far. He'd have to pay this dastard a visit once he had a name.

Asban had underestimated just how agitated he looked while musing to himself. Shame the world could not hear his thoughts and Sebor could only guess the cause of his frustration.

SilverLutz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:11 pm
Indeed, Asban's words and reaction were read completely wrong by Sebor, who narrowed her eyes in suspicion. Was he not of a like mind? Certainly he wouldn't parade it around, but with the way he was acting it seemed like he had been teasing her before with the suggestion that he didn't like the way things were run here.

"Dis. She's a reaver," she said defiantly, lifting her head just a bit. "She said things used to be different here, as well. Females weren't always so restricted." Lashing her tail she nodded down to the extended claws Asban had sunk into the sand. "Now if you don't mind, there's no need for getting so agitated. I thought you were fruit from a different tree here, a nice cool pool of water in a hot desert. Don't tell me you've changed your mind since we last met, or that I took your rather curious answer the wrong way."

Sebor certainly didn't wish to get Dis in trouble with her words, but she wasn't about to lie to Asban, either. There was no sense in it, really. Honesty was key.

Hopefolly

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

Hopefolly

Familiar Celebrant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:10 pm
SilverLutz

"Dis," he echoed, but it was hushed enough she must have missed it or mistaken it for a click of the tongue. So, the culprit was female. They did love their chatter, didn't they? Sebor herself was prone to it, on and on. He'd admit she was ruthless in her own way.

Asban had never been to the desert and fruit had never touched his tongue. These analogies were wasted breath. All of it was. Every second spent loafing was one not put to use. Things were different when it was his choice to remain nonchalant. Now that he wanted them found, the sooner the better. He tilted his head back enough to gaze past his mane and up, up, up until a mortal could hope to see no higher. Scavengers charted their usual circles awaiting scraps. Alas, no sign of his feathered friend.

"Anyone could have told you things were different. They'll be different again. Your complete lack of patience might prove you belong here more than anything else." It wasn't a compliment, but nothing was stopping her from taking it as one. He was starting to assume she'd do and hear whatever she wanted. "I'm already reaver." He looked back to her. "Your word would do my reputation no good." And I don't care either way. Words unspoken, yet somehow heard loud and clear.

He looked her over with a keen eye. For what in specific, who knew. If she had spoken after him, he hadn't listened. If she was still speaking, he interrupted her. "Can you really not wait until the next Warlord?" While teeming with skepticism, the question was all too genuine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:39 pm
A roll of her eyes was Sebor's response to Asban's reply. He could point out her faults and flaws as much as he pleased, but it wouldn't dissuade her from her goal. He seemed to be a tough guy to crack, or at least bruise, but she'd keep at it. He also seemed just a bit anxious, as if he were looking for something, especially with the way he glanced up into the sky, squinting against the sun.

"Would you wait until the next Warlord?" she asked in return. "What if he's no different from the present one? Perhaps the next Warlord sympathizes with females and says only they can be reavers, and males must take care of the dens. Would you do as your told?" They were rhetoric questions of course, not meant to be answered out loud, just to make Asban think.

"So no, I won't be waiting for a new Warlord. In any event, you seem to be on a mission, and I'm coming with you. It's not wise to go out on your own, anyway. Having at least one other travel companion is best." She stepped forward, a resolute look on her face. "You may pretend I'm not here if that will make you happier." Dis had said something about simply fading into the background, existing while others didn't know that you did. Laying low had its advantages, but it wasn't how she wanted to exist for the rest of her - or the Warlord, whichever came first - life. She could do that for now, though. Slowly compile her accomplishments and then stand atop them for all to see.

Hopefolly

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

Hopefolly

Familiar Celebrant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:22 pm
Cracking or bruising his head would be easier. At this rate, he'd smash it against a rock willingly.

As the flick of his tail segued into a steady swing, Asban neglected to hear half the questions and failed to answer any of them. Their purpose had been to shed light on her dilemma, to prompt empathy, but her methods would need some fine-tuning if they were to succeed with him. He need not consider the outlandishly hypothetical; males would never be sentenced to their dens and (most) females would never permit their litters to starve.

It was possible for the next warlord to be Njal's second coming; however, Asban doubted it. Those with his mindset seemed content now and, as he'd told her before, Njal's bloodline was plentiful. He would be a grandfather, if not a great-grandfather, by time anyone stepped up to claim his title. Asban couldn't prove it, but he had his suspicions this family would not go as quietly as the kin of the warlord before him. Why would anyone risk their hide to do nothing but keep things the same?

"You may pretend I'm not here if that will make you happier."

"That would be a feat, wouldn't it." At least they had their rhetorical questions in common. Asban's gaze spent a second to the left before they drifted back. "I'll make you a deal."

SilverLutz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:08 pm
Asban was not impressed, that much she could see. Sebor was fine with that for the time being. She didn't need to impress him with her words, but rather with her actions. The Stormborn were a very physical pride, and she had yet to show off her prowess to anyone but the male she had challenged to get into the pride. She had gotten in on her first attempt, but she doubted that would be impressive to the natives.

"A deal?" she repeated, arching a brow. "Go ahead, I'm listening." Unlike some lions she could name. If they weren't such strangers she'd give him a bap on the nose and tell him to show some common decency. Unfortunately, that sort of reprimand would have to wait.

Hopefolly

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

Hopefolly

Familiar Celebrant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:19 pm
Everyone got in their first time, according to them. Asban knew of a reaver whom had taken at least four battles to win any and still bragged it had been only one. Sebor was wise to think it wouldn't have made an impression. This was a pride of braggarts and liars, after all.

"There's a female here, Freyja, wed to a captain named Kondo." He need be specific as the name was shared amongst multiple members of the pride and Freyja was not particularly well known for anything but being said captain's wife. "When we return, I'd like you to find out as much information about her and her thrall without letting them know what you're doing, then report it back to me. If you can manage this, I'll let you come with me and I'll be sure the rumormongers among us happen to overhear how you fared."

SilverLutz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:39 pm
Sebor raised a brow slightly at the terms. She'd get what she wanted once he provided her with some information on a certain female and her thrall? It was curious, but she eventually nodded her head. She didn't consider herself a very good spy, but there was no harm in going to meet a new lioness and asking about her life and her thrall. She could keep it innocent.

"It's a deal," she said as she pressed her ears against her head. "Although you'll have to tell me what she looks like. I've yet to meet anyone by that name, nor any lions named Kondo." It wasn't from not trying, either. Perhaps she needed to re-think her approach to making nice with the pride members. Instead of pushing her ideas on them, subtly worked wonders very often.

"Or at least point me in the direction of their den when we get back," she amended. Time to try playing a bit nice. She knew she'd need all the practice she could get. It would be difficult to be a bit meek when she was normally so defiant and proud, but she'd have to work on it if she wanted anyone to take her seriously.

Hopefolly

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

Hopefolly

Familiar Celebrant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:50 pm
"We'll talk about it more later," Asban informed her. If she was going to mind her manners, he would take full advantage of it. She wasn't the only one with an agenda around here. He just hadn't decided if his was worth pursuing yet. Regardless, it was in his best interest they make up for time lost in this back-and-forth of theirs.

Unless she made move to stop him, he would turn and continue out of the pride.

SilverLutz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:26 pm
Sebor gave a little snort, but nodded. She could fall silent for a while if that's what he wished. She did want him to give her a good word to any that he spoke to, after all. Being able to follow orders when given was important for any captain to have in his reavers, after all.

She let Asban walk on and followed, keeping even with his tail. He was the one who was heading out into the rouge lands after all, hopefully he knew where he was going. If not, she could always give a few helpful hints as to the direction he wished to travel.

Hopefolly
Last post!

SilverLutz

Offensive Hero

[IC] Myrsky Syntynyt Lands [IC]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out