Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:54 pm
Peppermint, Camphor, and Laurel Leaves

- a planned meeting of Dr. Jannisari [THE SEMBLANCE OF UNITY] & Jin-Ho + Blaithe [NEONMACE]
- the sun is high this mid-morning, and a brisk wind blows on occasion. There are no clouds.
- they meet in Jin-Ho's garden, a strangely large plot of land

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:59 pm
It must be true, what was said about research and progress, that they twist and turn and if a scientist knew exactly what they were doing, they would discover nothing new. It must be true, for that was how Jannisari felt; the science of scents was woefully inaccurate on the best of days. In a way, she felt as though she were burdened by the limitations of her own science. But the effort to understand and combat disease was one of the few things that could lift human life a small space above the level of farce, and give that life some of the grace of tragedy. So, she would continue until she had exhausted every avenue. This, unsurprisingly, held true for everything she studied. In truth, Jannisari's only limitation was the idea that she had them.... and perhaps also that sometimes her imagination was a trifle narrow. But it was with the thought of broadening scopes that she set out this day.

Dr. Jannisari's cloak lay heavy around her bony frame, far too thick for the sparse chill in the air. Despite that, her fingers were chilled as they clutched her bag. It was not a heavy bag, nor ornate, but a simple affair of sturdy leather, large enough for the transport of a few books or perhaps a dinner's worth of shopping. And it had surely held both. For now, though, it carried something much less mundane, that smelled of death and pestilence. If she had opened her bag as she walked, the sunlight would have cast its golden rays past the disease, to the laurels made opf gold. For now, the winking wreath lay in the dark confines of stitched leather. Recently, Dr. Jannisari had been seeing more of that irritating stunted than she liked. (which was to say, she had been seeing him. Even one time was too many.) After discovering it nestled in the center of the laurels, she no longer left them in her office when she would be away for a lengthy amount of time. So she had brought them with her, carefully wrapped, on her journey to speak to a man named Jin-Ho.

Even from a distance away, she could see the lush beauty of a well-tended garden. It was surprisingly large, she mused, nearly bigger than the house. Jannisari had, of course, sent a missive beforehand, informing the gentleman of her intentions in visiting, however she had received no reply. She flexed her fingers and curled them around the strap of her bag. She had also heard that recently, a plague had changed here. It would be a lie to assume that fact had no bearing on her visitation. In the garden, Jannisari could see two figures, a man and a girl. Oddly, the man looked familiar in a vague sense, like a face seen so often it was forgotten. With a brisk step, she turned past the stone wall, intending to enter the garden itself.

"Hello," she called out. Dr. Jannisari's voice was one strengthened by years of teaching. "I am Doctor Jannisari. I am looking for Jin-Ho and would greatly appreciate any help you may offer." She kept her tone light and pleasant, although her face did not change its expression.  

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

DystopicRhythm

Eloquent Giver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:17 pm
With Hero resting carefully in her lap, nestled carefully between her knit fingers as if it were a lean-against, the Anhelo watched all and nothing, eyes focused lazily toward the middle of the garden – just past her Grimm. It was hard to tell one way or another, her empty sockets glowing with a never ending light without any indication of pupils, and one could only have assumed what held her attention. Even with her thumbs lightly stroking outward against the stunted’s feline face, she seemed to be dazed an inattentive.

That smell was undeniable and somehow more desirable than it ever had been in the past.

Jin Ho focused solely on his work, his hand quickly working at digging into the soft dirt as well as planting, replacing and cutting into what had grown over the bountiful summer months. They were lucky this year, though the added benefit of magical aid was certainly a factor in their harvest. With the Fellowship’s request and invitation he was able to grow hard to obtain and rare herbs, his livelihood since Blaithe’s growth practically relating only to the garden and its contents. Sometimes the Quietus would lend a hand though more often than not she was allowed to sit and relish the feeling of being outside. She still wasn’t used to this body, the things she saw or heard or even felt – each sensation new and exciting and overwhelming. The former scribe understood and sympathized; he wanted nothing but comfort for her.

The Phasmas’ ears perked first upon Jannisari’s greetings, Blaithe’s attention still resting vaguely ahead of her and Jin Ho, himself, peeked his head from beneath the greenery, though he did not rise. He waited patiently for the woman to finished her introductions with a decidedly softened expression – the man felt a strange sense of familiarity with this woman as well and with her title he could only guess that she was with the Council. He had probably seen her while in Gadu.

”I am Jin Ho. In what services have you sought me out?” he asked, passing a quick glance to Blaithe before returning his full attention to the woman, finally allowing himself to rise. He did not wear a shirt, his tanned skin striking – but more so than that, his lack of arm and the scars that littered the afflicted area, much lighter in comparison. Jin Ho no longer minded the staring, having grown accustomed to it over time. Blaithe continued her idle stroking but her attention was now on Jannisari, or more accurately, the bag at her side. Hero had noticed the scent as well, but it was weakened and did not exactly smell condensed so it was hardly worth his attention.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:28 pm
In the space of a few seconds, Jannisari had cataloged Jin-Ho's rather remarkable scarring. Contrasting dramatically with his sun-darkened skin, the scars made him an interesting sight. But his missing arm, more so. She wondered idly what difficulties he faced in only having one hand. Judging from the scarring, it was clearly not the result of a battle with contagion, and therefore, none of her business - although a flicker of curiosity did pass over her. She shrugged, a small, angular movement to settle her mind. Jannisari was not here to stare at scars.

However, the girl on the bench... something was strange about her. Perhaps it was in the way she moved or her light hair. There was a sense of otherness about her, though she was too far away to determine the cause. In fact, Jannisari could barely make out any of her features at all. Too unalike to be a relative, she thought. Could the girlish form be.... ? Jannisari caught herself leaning ever so slightly forward on her toes, striving to make out more details. So intent she was that when Jin-Ho spoke, it was like a caramel wave and she almost stumbled. Smoothly, she turned her attention back to the armless man.

"I have heard that you can grow many a rare herb and was curious as to whether you would be interested in assisting my research, or, at very least, supply me with some specialized strains of herbs. I had also been made aware that a Plague resides with you and wished to ask it some questions, if you would allow." Conscious of appearances, she curved her lips briefly into an unassuming smile.  

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

DystopicRhythm

Eloquent Giver

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:53 pm
Perhaps it was the strange way that she moved… or rather, didn’t. Blaithe sat remarkably still atop the wooden bench, her hands cupped delicately on her lap and her back straight as a board. Her eyes never left the bag, even with Jannisari’s strange display of craning for a better look, though even now Hero had become curious as he peeked over the Anhelo’s fingers. He was still rather unimpressed; the only point that would be remarkably of interest for him hidden away in that damned leather satchel – upon first look, it almost would have appeared that Blaithe was the Grimm and Hero the Plague.

”I do at the behest of The Fellowship. Are you affiliated?” Jin Ho asked, cocking a brow when she nearly fell. It might have been a quickly smoothed over movement but it was still caught and it was strange seeing a woman of her stature acting out such childish tendencies. ”And ‘she.’” he corrected, his expression sobering slightly while passing another quick glance toward the girl on the bench.

Blaithe hardly moved in the meantime, still watching carefully while offering continuous affection toward the feline stunted. She didn’t mind the mix up, not that she had particularly caught it in the first place. She was distracted by the scent of death and the appearance of this new voice; nearly velveteen and smoky gray.

”Blaithe.”

”May I see him?” the girl enquired, her lids flicking downward just a tad; the only hint as to where she was looking. Hero bristled in her hands and stifled a growl, already displeased. He could smell that it was still mere Putesco but it still angered him – not anger toward her, but a petty hatred toward others. Blaithe’s voice was rather gentle, somewhat androgynous in tone.

Jin Ho’s attention immediately shifted back toward Jannisari, his brow lifting once more as he eyed her over. ”You are a Grimm?” he asked, somewhat surprised; then again, he’d seen so many passing Grimms of various ages and ethnicities that it shouldn’t have been a shock in the slightest. There was no other reason Blaithe would have asked that question, and now he was almost expectant.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:34 am
Dr. Jannisari opened her mouth to reply to Jin-Ho, but closed it as Balithe spoke instead. The Plague was interesting looking, mainly so because of the curious pink star on her cheek and the absence of eyes. Or rather, where Blaithe's eyes should normally be, instead were two pools of glowing white light. It was unsettling, to say the least. A Plague could masquerade so similarly to a human and yet be inhuman. She wondered exactly what she would see if she searched fro a heart within the creature. Blaithe spoke as a human girl would speak, looked as a human girl would look (barring her eyes) butt her movements were a little strange, like a doll left jerking on too-taut strings. She made a non-committal sound, choosing her words.

"You are Blaithe? Quietus, correct? And yes, I am a Grimm." She said this without inflection, like discussing the weather or what she had eaten for breakfast. The cat-like excito was less-than-threatening, thankfully, despite its irritated growl. Surely, she lifted the flap covering the laurels. "How did you know I had them? Is the smell that apparent to other plagues?" She wondered, as she took out the wreath, if handing it to an anhelo would somehow speed the process of change, from putesco to excito. Thus far, she had found no real reason for length of time between stages. For all Jannisari knew, her item would stay inanimate forever.

She had nothing to lose. The laurels were wrapped in a thick, white cloth, a stark contrast to it's black taint. Unwrapping it, she held it out to the Plague, winking in the sun. "How do you know it's sex?" She then turned Jin-Ho, clearly wanting to continue her conversation in that direction, but held off, hoping to reintroduce her needs later. For now, knowledge stood before her and its eyes glowed.  

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

DystopicRhythm

Eloquent Giver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:15 am
”Yes, ma’am,” she confirmed to both questions, her own voice following a similar cadence – quiet, calm and with little emotion behind her words. Blaithe’s eyes followed Jannisari’s hands, watching carefully as the woman unwrapped the laurels in question. They softened, landing upon the shining gold. Her lips didn’t pull one way or another, resting plainly in a line beneath her nose as she daintily reached for the Putesco. Hero had already gone back to pouting, eagerly accepting the brush’s apologetic fingers along his face and head.

As for the second question, Blaithe’s eyes never left the golden leaves and black pearls. She ran her fingers along the tiniest of details, breathing in his scent. ”Humans can smell only the hint of us within our shells… However,” she hummed, finally shutting her eyes and lifting her chin, hoisting Hero into her palm and setting him onto her shoulder, ”we are far more perceptive of our own kind. It calls to us.”

”Blaithe’s gender was given to me by another Anhelo before she had grown into an Excito,” Jin Ho confirmed, every moment from obtaining Blaithe to now still practically fresh on his mind. Sloane had told him a great deal more than Blaithe had even confided in their guest with merely a single sniff. ”Either way, we are not affiliated with the Plague Doctor and you have come here on business,” he continued, lifting his arm to wipe his brow with the back of his wrist, careful not to smudge dirt across his face in the presence of a proper woman – and Doctor, at that. Truth be told he wasn’t particularly impressed with such a title, though he understood and respected that she must have worked hard to receive it. ”What affiliation do you hold and what herbs in particular were you interested in me raising?”

Blaithe wasn’t particularly flattered that the doctor had addressed her but had glanced toward her Grimm instead, eyes drifting up to meet the Lady’s for that brief moment but she was quick to return them to her new companion, regardless of his state.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:32 am
"How interesting," Jannisari murmured. These Plagues, masquerading as near-human... Plague calls to Plague, she supposed. Death to death. It would seem beautiful f it wasn't so basely typical. She snapped her eyes back to Jin-Ho, carefully keeping the laurel wreath in her peripheral. It was, after all, her grant money. Being in possession of a Plague reassured benefactors that their money would be spent in a manner related to curing the Plague. While she doubted the other Plague would run off with her laurels, they were too precious an items to have unsupervised.

"I am not affiliated with the Plague Doctor, you are correct, although I share some of his interests. I am part of the Council." She paused and cocked her head slightly, surveying his garden. It was lush and she imagined it would hold the same beauty in any season. Jin-Ho, on the other hand; it was rumored that he was a failed mage, that the loss of his arm tore him from the Fellowship. They had said he was a hulking shell of the man he once was. The rumors were nit baseless but, of course, grossly exaggerated. True that he had lost his arm; the evidence of that was apparent, scrawled across his bare torso. But he had made a name for his garden, and was not useless. Jannisari shifted. Her cloak weighed her down hotly.

She hoped this mage would be a littler less silly than some of her previous acquaintances. "I am looking for a few things, if you are willing. Is it possible for you to grow a stringer strain of peppermint than I have? This us my main concern in coming here. Also, I am curious if you would be willing to become a regular supplier." She touched her bag gently. It contained a number of things, tucked into a separate pocket from where the laurels had rested. Among them were the strongest mint she could find and a deep, full rose, "My current interest is in aromatic studies as disease prevention, including the Plague. I can, of course, pay for your services."  

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

DystopicRhythm

Eloquent Giver

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:51 pm
While the woman talked the former mage’s eyes never left hers, his brows resting heavily over his eyes. Jin Ho’s body language was almost impatient, one knee bent while his arm hung unused at his side. It wasn't entirely intentional, his manners having slipped since the incident in Shyregoed that cost him his love, job and livelihood - he was getting better, but it was still a long road ahead. ”As you are part of the Council, it is my duty to assist you,” he assured, bowing his head politely in confirmation. ”It is possible for me to grow near anything thanks to the blessings of The Fellowship. It will not be an issue for me to grow these things for you. And not to sound rude, but indeed, I would have expected compensation as I would like to consider myself a professional.”

”Blaithe… it would be in the interest of all of us for you to return him to his Grimm, said Hero, his voice low and near scathing, though the venom was not directed toward Blaithe at all. No, he was displeased entirely with the fact that a barely affiliated woman had come to them, regardless of intention, and disrupted their time. He wouldn't openly admit his selfishness, wanting his companion only for himself, even if the laurels hadn't grown sentient.

The brush’s eyes softened, lips tugging at the corners, but her focus was undeterred. ”Not now, Hero. She will request him when she is done speaking with Oji.”

”At what quantities will you need your peppermint? Their growth cannot be given a promised time, but I assure you that they will find their way to you,” Jin Ho added, passing a quick glance toward Blaithe and Hero. Their conversation was hushed but he could hear the bite in the feline’s tone. However, even he had noticed Hero’s overprotective nature toward Blaithe.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:36 am
Jannisari studied Jin-Ho as he spoke; he had the loose-limbed stance of someone who perhaps cared less about the world than he used to. His brows seemed like weights above sch intense eyes. it was quite obvious this man had seen seen too much for one still yet young. His eyes met her own blue ones and she appreciated the very human, real feel behind his gaze. His Plague, on the other hand... it was somehow vague and unformed. Not in a physical sense, for Jannisari could plainly see the two 'eyes, nose, mouth, all the features present in most humans. It was more in the cool way she spoke. Jannisari's fingers tapped along her thigh.

"I did not mean any offense in mentioning pay," here, she made an effort and stretched her thin lips in a smile. "I find that some people like reassurance of the eventuality of monetary compensation." She paused as a venomous murmur reached her ears. What a rude little Plague! Her features tightened. While exposing the wreath to the tan-haired Plague might have been a good idea, she would not let her Plague associate with that cat-like one. It would do no one any good. Although, she did hope that perhaps this encounter with an anhelo might affect the wreath's growth. Unfortunately, there would be no way of knowing; she had no control group.Perhaps she could ask Blaithe to visit her later on.

"I would say roughly ten plants to begin with, if that is acceptable. I understand growing is a finicky thing and would not wish for you to sacrifice quality for the sake of speed." She folded her hands neatly in front of her. Dr. Jannisari was making a conscious effort to not move her hands so much when speaking, but still, they itched to complement her words with sweeping movements. Despite her best intentions, the next words were accompanied by a rush of excitement as she gestured towards the Plagues. "I was also wondering if Blaithe might be available for some questions. I am also a plagueologist, yet rarely do I get to speak to an anhelo, especially one so newly formed."  

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

DystopicRhythm

Eloquent Giver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:34 pm
Raising his hand slightly, Jin Ho quietly shook his head as she spoke. ”There is no offense, I merely meant to explain. Ten plants are easily grown, and they should be ready before the next harvest.” Again, each muted gesture was made mental note of, though this information wasn’t to be kept. It was nearly habitual, and more often than not Jin Ho didn’t notice his mindless observations.

”A Plagueologist…?” he asked, his voice low and rhetorical. With a single glance he nodded toward his ward, ”Blaithe…?” Jin Ho called, intent more clear.

”What would you like to know, ma’am…?” Blaithe chimed, her voice oddly cool and even despite still holding its young note. Without glancing, one would have figured she was a boy. Hero, still unimpressed, settled himself into Blaithe’s neck, hardly even bothering to see where anyone’s attention was. As far as he was concerned, had Jannisari made her thoughts vocal he would have been more than fine with the idea. He wanted nothing to do with these laurels, this woman, as they impeded his time with his companion.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:14 am
"That is excellent news, Mr. Kyon. You are as efficient as they say." Genuine pleasure sparked in her eyes. It was rare that such meetings were quick and Jannisari was pleased that their business was nearly at a close. Carefully, she withdrew a canvas sack from her shoulder bag, the cloth rough and prickly underneath her fingers. Inside was peppermint, the strongest she had found, and a few rose cuttings as well. "I have brought cuttings of my current stock for you to use, should you desire. There is peppermint in there as well as a deep rose I am interested in cultivating, if you can. Also, I have included some coin; let me know if that is enough to cover your fee."

Her sharp eyes watched as the Plague spoke, that cool voice at odds with such a young and androgynous appearance. There were many questions that ticked along in Jannisari's brain; her fingers itched to poke and prod. However, she could hardly measure the newly grown Plague here. Instead, she though of the things she could ask and, unbidden and rising like the immutable whine of a violin, a lilting high-pitched voice wormed it's way in. She remembered that excito's trembling and his eventual bolt. Almost of their own volition, her lips moved.

"Do you dream?"  

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

DystopicRhythm

Eloquent Giver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:18 pm
The compliment was heard, acknowledged by a slight bow, though his eyes never left Janissari. It wasn’t that he didn’t trust the woman, at least he didn’t completely distrust her, but given his past mistakes he wasn’t about to let his guard down – especially with her interest in Blaithe. It was only when her own specimens were pulled out and she began speaking once more that his attention finally drifted, coming to a stand and closing the distance between the two of them to take the sack from her arm, giving a quick but gentle shake. ”For now I will trust you,” said Jin Ho, handing the bag back to the woman and motioned with his chin for her to take it to Blaithe’s side on the bench.

Blaithe, on the other hand, didn’t remove her attention from the laurels held daintily between her fingers. ”I do,” the Quietus confirmed, her eyes fluttering just a little as she turned the golden crown over in her hands. ”Though… I only see color. Jin Ho has described human dreams as shapes, people. I only see color.”

Lifting her chin, it was a little more obvious that Jannisari held her attention now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:59 am
Jannisari's hands, empty and restless, tingled, hoping for a quill and paper to appear in her hand. Alas, she had neither. She supposed their really was no use in questioning when she could not record the answers straightaway. Nonetheless, curiosity was a powerful force. Thus far, it seemed. As though each plague experienced dreams unique to their origin items, their putescos. Jannisari wondered if Dr. Kempe had studied this. She made a mental note to ask him when next they met. Her nose wrinkled. The smell of death was sickening, and she wondered how anything could bloom in this garden.

She held up the bag of cuttings to Blaithe. Although she was loathe to let a plague touch green and growing things, this was clearly what Kyon had indicated. "A trade perhaps?" She murmured, one brow raising in an almost supercilious fashion. Her free hand indicated the laurels. Although it was not visible, her toes tapped out an impatience in her shoes. She disliked it when the laurels were not in her possession. Of course, she disliked her need for then even more. Jannisari had begun to wonder if her fingers tingled because of them. She flexed them gently.

She looked at the plague, an inquisitive tilt to her head. "You dream in colors..." she mused. "Well. Do you wish you dreamt as humans do? Or that you were human?" Pure curiosity laced her voice. She did need to take her leave soon, but...  

The Semblance of Unity

Predestined Victim

DystopicRhythm

Eloquent Giver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:32 pm
As Blaithe considered the first of the latter questions, the brush took one last look at her putesco companion before blankly accepting the satchel of goods – the scent of fresh greenery catching her nose, causing her eyes to flutter just a tad. In a clumsy movement, she opened the tanned bag and held it up to her face, taking in a deep whiff.

Stopping mid-sniff, Blaithe’s eyes widened for the briefest of seconds before she pulled her hands away, closing the satchel and placing it beside her leg. Next came Hero, Blaithe reaching for him so that her hands were not empty, and immediately they were placed in her lap.

”No,” Blaithe said, her brows twitching subtly under her tawny bangs. ”I do not wish to be human…” Those specific memories often played in her mind, enough to make her cringe in her loneliest moments. She never wanted to feel that harsh of a cold again, though the idea of going ‘home’ was ever present. ”I’ve no need of human dreams… I can see everything in color; I know not what I ‘miss.’” Despite the deep hunger she felt upon growing, Blaithe didn’t like the feeling of human hunger far worse and now that she had been awake for so long, she had been rid of that ravenous urge within days. She no longer felt the ache so long as she kept herself fed regularly. Despite its similarities, it was somehow different as a human.

And she felt so… weak, even compared to when she was an Excito. It was so strange, so unpleasant.

”I mean no disrespect, I apologize.” Finally, the Anhelo glanced up from sated Hero held daintily between her hands, her gaze landing on Jannisari. Once again, her expression had become blank, save for the light upward arch that her brows held.

THE COUNCIL ❧ scientist RP + info subforum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff