Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Love the book, loathe the author? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:31 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
With the film adaptation of Ender's Game being released later this year, there has been considerable talk about Orson Scott Card and his politics. There are those who plan to boycott the film, as well.

For those of you who don't know, the author of the Ender books, OSC, is particularly outspoken about his beliefs on homosexuality and same-sex marriage. He strongly believes that homosexuality is wrong and opposes marriage equality, and was on the board for the National Organization for Marriage. (NOM nom nom civil rights...)

I haven't ever read Ender's Game, although I've meant to do so for a long time. Lots of people have told me that the books are wonderful, and as something of a sci-fi and fantasy nerd, they've been sitting on my "to read" list for ages. The majority of my friends who recommend the books insist that none of Card's bigotry is present in the story, and I do find that encouraging, but I still find myself procrastinating and reading other things instead.

I mean, it's not like all the books that I enjoy were written by non-judgmental authors. I'm sure that plenty of my favourites were penned by men and women who were intolerant in some way or another, but that doesn't necessarily mean that their work isn't worth reading. I know for a fact that some of them come off as being utter, raging assholes, but the books were great nonetheless. The same idea applies to all kinds of media, including music and film.

So, how do you all feel about it? Do you read books/listen to music/watch movies by individuals who are outspoken about their intolerance?

For those of you who've read Ender's Game, what do you think, both about the book and the author?

Do any of you plan to see the film? If not, is it just a lack of interest, or do you plan to boycott it?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:14 pm
Lack of interest, mostly because I got so many books on my list to begin with anyway, lol.

I heard about the author and about his homophobia, though. He's a real trip.

Though, I think boycotting a film just because the author of the books said film is based off of is a homophobic jerk... I don't know--sounds a bit like censorship to me.

Oh wait, it is censorship.

As frustrating as it may sound to some people, Card has the freedom to say what he has said about homosexuality. That's his first amendment right. And I do believe if we make so much effort to try to silence one person for his views--no matter how disagreeable they may be--we make too much room for others to be silenced, as well.

We fought so hard for our freedoms to be recognized and uncensored, so to turn around and do the very thing we don't want done to us is pretty hypocritical and malicious. People didn't choose their battle wisely with this one.  

Sea Thrift

Hygienic Browser

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:19 pm
i try not to let a writer, actor, or any sort of artist's personal views dictate how i feel about their work, unless they are really just a terrible person who goes around killing babies or is a member of the KKK.

i still ate at chickfila when they had that whole anti gay thing going on and i will probably watch the movie because it looks interesting  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:32 pm
As a fellow nerd, my solution to the Ender's Game book issue, I am checking it out from the library. The movie, I am simply not seeing. OSC may be a great writer, but I refuse to let that man have a cent of my money.  

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

Sea Thrift

Hygienic Browser

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:44 pm
Blackrose_Knight
As a fellow nerd, my solution to the Ender's Game book issue, I am checking it out from the library. The movie, I am simply not seeing. OSC may be a great writer, but I refuse to let that man have a cent of my money.

Libraries ftw. That was my same mindset when I checked out 50 Shades.

Except that E.L. James isn't a good writer. She may write the kind of smut some people want, but even the writing for those scenes are painful to read. At least they were for me. Blugh. I'm glad I didn't waste my money on those novels.

Anyway, I digress, lol. Back to OSC.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:08 pm
Does steve moffat count?  

Tiras Adreus

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:30 pm
Card is an a*****e, but he's a talented a*****e. I think the books are still worth reading, I liked them.

However, I'll only watch the movie if it was pirated. I don't want to put money in that guy's pockets.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:08 pm
I read Ender's Game years ago, before I knew about OSC's views, and I loved it. It's one of the big reasons I really started reading sci-fi. And then I found out what a homophobic a*****e OSC is. And not only is he vocal about it, but he puts a lot of money into it as well. So I can't support him as an author without the squicky feeling that then my money will go to his homophobic cause as well. So he has the right to be a huge ******** a*****e and I have the right to not give him a cent of my money. Which is what I'll likely do with his movie as well. If I watch it, it will be borrowed/rented/pirated. Just like I will only ever buy his books used.

Also, if you haven't heard of his version of Hamlet, check it out. It's the most homophobic piece of s**t ever written. Okay, maybe not, but it is pretty ******** abysmal.  

Anja Sedai

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150

TheLostAngel-Mika

Rainbow Elder

14,750 Points
  • Grunny Rainbow 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 5:07 pm
I try not to let the person's personal views and/or life affect my feelings on their works. Chris Brown is a woman beater but I still love his song "Don't Wake Me Up." I think Stephanie Meyer is a piece of s**t because of Twilight but I believe Host is still a good book. I just have the similar views of other people on this forum. I listen to the music on Spotify for free and I check books out from the library.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:02 am
I have 2 rules when it comes to this sort of thing.

1: If I avoided every movie made by somebody who thinks things I disagree with, I'd never watch anything ever again. Thus, unless it really pervades the product itself, I don't let that deter me.

2: I never participate in any active boycott of anything. Every single time a social/political boycott crops up, all it does is rally the opposing side to support it even more strongly. Remember when the LGBT community lashed out against Chick-fil-A? Well the Christian right responded so strongly by coming out in support and eating there that they actually set company records for income and customers served. The most effective way to deal with these things, contrary as it may sound, is generally to just ignore them. Less attention (good or bad) equals less power.

All that being said, I never read the books and probably won't watch the movie because I really just don't care.  

Purple Robot Queen

GlitchFoxx

Sweetest Fox

23,150 Points
  • Planetary Technician 150
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Supreme Supporter 500
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:29 pm
I loved the book when I was in middle school. I have plans to go see the movie when it comes out.
Like it was mentioned before me, I'm not going to let someone's personal views stop me from enjoying something I've been wanting to see. Especially if my parents are paying for the tickets. Free movie and popcorn, who'd pass that up?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:23 am
Pirate it pirate

Seriously, if it bothers you about his views, then find a way to see it that doesn't put money into his pockets :/ same goes for his books - library!

I don't feel strongly about this (maybe because I've never read his work...) but I understand if people who feel strongly about gay marriage don't want to help generate profits for a person who's going to put that money into opposing their ideals.  

I AM R U

Savage Fairy

13,250 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Super Tipsy 200

iMito
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:20 am
As someone who used to live in the same town as Orson Scott Card, he is a d**k. Not just his views, his personality as well. He's a pompous a**.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:29 pm
                    okay, so i'm slowly reading ender's game right now. anywhoo.

personally? have your opinion on the writer, i could care less about him.

but boycotting a book and a movie because of what an author thinks?

oh come on, that's ridiculous. if i want to read a book and the author is less than kind, then i will, and i will see the movie that is about the book if i want to.

with that logic, you should restrict yourself from seeing, reading, wearing, or listening to anyone made by anything who is/has done something remotely discriminatory or offensive, or is an a**. the amount of things you would listen, watch, read, etc. would be severely cut down.

tl;dr i personally think it's silly to not read or watch something because you don't like the author.

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

Matasoga

Wailing Abomination

35,625 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:16 pm
If I know of works like this that were done by terrible people but the work itself has great merit then I will usually make an attempt to read or see it, but only in a way that will ensure that no money of mine gets back to the author.
EDIT: I view this as more than just helping a person be successful in life. There is much more at stake than that. If you help such a person as that, financially, you must be aware of where exactly they're putting their money. Chic-fil-a is the most famous example, as they are very vocal about funneling tons of money into campaigns against civil rights, but there are many, many others. Before shopping or spending money anywhere you really ought to make sure your money isn't going to wind up in some sort of gay "rehabilitation" center.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff