Welcome to Gaia! ::

4:12 Discipleship Unashamed

Back to Guilds

Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, conduct, love, faith, and in purity 

Tags: 4:12 Guild, Discipleship, Unashamed, Jesus Christ, Christianity 

Reply 4:12 Discipleship Unashamed
Life after Death Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Islamic Teacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:23 am
I'm curious to know what people on this Guilds honest opinions on the afterlife
Some here may believe in Purgatory, Judgment Day, Heaven (Paradise) or Hell

So please state what you believe happens when you die

(yes you can use Youtube videos, however don't post videos about near death experiences)
Thank you  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:24 am
I'm honestly not completely sure what I believe.

I was raised Catholic, so I grew up believing in Heaven and Hell and Purgatory, and over the years my beliefs have ranged from that, to not believing in any sort of afterlife whatsoever.

Now? I believe in Heaven and Hell, I guess. Purgatory is sort of up in the air for the moment. I have no clear picture in my mind as to what Heaven or Hell are like. I'm not even sure if they're physical places. I have no concrete beliefs regarding what saves a person and what damns them. I don't see it as being my place to say that this person will go to Heaven when they die and that person will go to Hell. I don't really think the afterlife is something that the living are supposed to have much knowledge of. I think it's something vastly different from life on Earth, but beyond that, I don't know. All I can do is live my life the best way I know how, and then I guess I'll find out about the afterlife when I get there.  

SinfulGuillotine
Crew

Perfect Trash

Ratsah

Beloved Soldier

8,750 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:20 pm
I'll let you know when God ends this vessel. ;D  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:09 pm
I'm not entirely sure what I believe, honestly. I know what I would like to believe, but that isn't especially important I think.

The truth is, it's impossible to have scientific proof of what happens after we die. It's not our place to know. I think it's better to live our lives fully and joyfully in order to make Earth look more like our vision of Heaven.  

Ophelias Bathwater
Crew

High-functioning Werewolf

13,725 Points
  • Trick or Treat 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Team Jacob 100

Islamic Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:24 am
This is strange
Most of the replies here signify that you guys are either in doubt of an afterlife or have no idea what its about...... rolleyes  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:37 am
Khalid Ibn Walid
This is strange
Most of the replies here signify that you guys are either in doubt of an afterlife or have no idea what its about...... rolleyes
Well, it's sort of an impossible question for the living to answer with any real authority. There's no need to be snarky.

If you have a clearer vision of the afterlife, why don't you share it with us?  

SinfulGuillotine
Crew

Perfect Trash

Islamic Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:40 am
SinfulGuillotine
Khalid Ibn Walid
This is strange
Well, it's sort of an impossible question for the living to answer with any real authority. There's no need to be snarky.

I just assumed that you people were going to tell me your beliefs on the afterlife, i didn't expect this much doubt  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:49 am
Khalid Ibn Walid
SinfulGuillotine
Khalid Ibn Walid
This is strange

I just assumed that you people were going to tell me your beliefs on the afterlife, i didn't expect this much doubt
Well, you know what they say happens when you assume. wink

And people are expressing their beliefs. It just so happens that most relatively rational people realise that they can't describe a plane of existence that they've never experienced.  

SinfulGuillotine
Crew

Perfect Trash

Islamic Teacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:50 am
SinfulGuillotine
Khalid Ibn Walid
SinfulGuillotine
Khalid Ibn Walid
This is strange

Well, you know what they say happens when you assume. wink

And people are expressing their beliefs. It just so happens that most relatively rational people realise that they can't describe a plane of existence that they've never experienced.

True  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:13 am
When ever someone asks me to describe heaven, I'm always reminded of this poem in prose by Oscar Wilde.

Oscar Wilde
THE HOUSE OF JUDGMENT

And there was silence in the House of Judgment, and the Man came
naked before God.

And God opened the Book of the Life of the Man.

And God said to the Man, 'Thy life hath been evil, and thou hast
shown cruelty to those who were in need of succour, and to those
who lacked help thou hast been bitter and hard of heart. The poor
called to thee and thou didst not hearken, and thine ears were
closed to the cry of My afflicted. The inheritance of the
fatherless thou didst take unto thyself, and thou didst send the
foxes into the vineyard of thy neighbour's field. Thou didst take
the bread of the children and give it to the dogs to eat, and My
lepers who lived in the marshes, and were at peace and praised Me,
thou didst drive forth on to the highways, and on Mine earth out of
which I made thee thou didst spill innocent blood.'

And the Man made answer and said, 'Even so did I.'

And again God opened the Book of the Life of the Man.

And God said to the Man, 'Thy life hath been evil, and the Beauty I
have shown thou hast sought for, and the Good I have hidden thou
didst pass by. The walls of thy chamber were painted with images,

and from the bed of thine abominations thou didst rise up to the
sound of flutes. Thou didst build seven altars to the sins I have
suffered, and didst eat of the thing that may not be eaten, and the
purple of thy raiment was broidered with the three signs of shame.
Thine idols were neither of gold nor of silver that endure, but of
flesh that dieth. Thou didst stain their hair with perfumes and
put pomegranates in their hands. Thou didst stain their feet with
saffron and spread carpets before them. With antimony thou didst
stain their eyelids and their bodies thou didst smear with myrrh.
Thou didst bow thyself to the ground before them, and the thrones
of thine idols were set in the sun. Thou didst show to the sun thy
shame and to the moon thy madness.'

And a third time God opened the Book of the Life of the Man.

And God said to the Man, 'Evil hath been thy life, and with evil
didst thou requite good, and with wrongdoing kindness. The hands
that fed thee thou didst wound, and the breasts that gave thee suck
thou didst despise. He who came to thee with water went away
thirsting, and the outlawed men who hid thee in their tents at
night thou didst betray before dawn. Thine enemy who spared thee
thou didst snare in an ambush, and the friend who walked with thee
thou didst sell for a price, and to those who brought thee Love
thou didst ever give Lust in thy turn.'

And God closed the Book of the Life of the Man, and said, 'Surely I
will send thee into Hell. Even into Hell will I send thee.'

And the Man cried out, 'Thou canst not.'

And God said to the Man, 'Wherefore can I not send thee to Hell,
and for what reason?'

'Because in Hell have I always lived,' answered the Man.

And there was silence in the House of Judgment.

And after a space God spake, and said to the Man, 'Seeing that I
may not send thee into Hell, surely I will send thee unto Heaven.
Even unto Heaven will I send thee.'

And the Man cried out, 'Thou canst not.'

And God said to the Man, 'Wherefore can I not send thee unto
Heaven, and for what reason?'

'Because never, and in no place, have I been able to imagine it,'
answered the Man.

And there was silence in the House of Judgment.

SinfulGuillotine
Crew

Perfect Trash

real eyes realize

Invisible Guildswoman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:07 pm
I believe everyone goes to Sheol after death—a comforting experience for some; for others not so much—to await the resurrection (Job 14:12-15; Luke 16:19-31). Souls will be resurrected en masse in two groups: the first group gets resurrected upon Jesus' return and they will reign alongside Jesus for 1000 years (Revelation 20:4-6; 1 Thessalonians 4:13; 1 Corinthians 6:2-4), the second group will be resurrected after the 1000 years for judgment day (Revelation 20:12). Those who take part in the second resurrection have no guarantee that they're written in the book of life; if they're not written in the book of life, they will be thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:14-15). Everyone else is taken to the new earth—"Heaven", as most people know it (a place where you'll be living in God's presence and no wickedness exists); "Heaven" involves a resurrected body because it's on the new earth. John describes the place—in detail—in Revelation 21 & 22 (the book of Revelation is a vision Jesus gave to the apostle John). Heaven is a place where we dwell with God the Father and Jesus, face to face, in resurrected bodies. Note: the old earth and old heavens disappeared back in Revelation 20:11; according to 2 Peter 3:6-7, the old earth gets flooded by fire (not to mention, bombarded by all the "end time" plagues as Jesus opens the seals, as described from Revelation 5 to chapter 19).

In short, I believe that after death it's:

Sheol → Resurrection (in two groups) → Judgment Day (for the 2nd group) → New Earth (living with God the Father forever), or lake of fire forever.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:49 am
real eyes realize
I believe everyone goes to Sheol after death—a comforting experience for some; for others not so much—to await the resurrection (Job 14:12-15; Luke 16:19-31). Souls will be resurrected en masse in two groups: the first group gets resurrected upon Jesus' return and they will reign alongside Jesus for 1000 years (Revelation 20:4-6; 1 Thessalonians 4:13; 1 Corinthians 6:2-4), the second group will be resurrected after the 1000 years for judgment day (Revelation 20:12). Those who take part in the second resurrection have no guarantee that they're written in the book of life; if they're not written in the book of life, they will be thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:14-15). Everyone else is taken to the new earth—"Heaven", as most people know it (a place where you'll be living in God's presence and no wickedness exists); "Heaven" involves a resurrected body because it's on the new earth. John describes the place—in detail—in Revelation 21 & 22 (the book of Revelation is a vision Jesus gave to the apostle John). Heaven is a place where we dwell with God the Father and Jesus, face to face, in resurrected bodies. Note: the old earth and old heavens disappeared back in Revelation 20:11; according to 2 Peter 3:6-7, the old earth gets flooded by fire (not to mention, bombarded by all the "end time" plagues as Jesus opens the seals, as described from Revelation 5 to chapter 19).

In short, I believe that after death it's:

Sheol → Resurrection (in two groups) → Judgment Day (for the 2nd group) → New Earth (living with God the Father forever), or lake of fire forever.

Although I don't agree with that, I must say its the clearest answer i've had so far
well done 3nodding  

Islamic Teacher

Islamic Teacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:51 am
Here's the Islamic Version
In Video format
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb5C654Mqyk  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:10 pm
I was raised in a Wesleyan church with a Christian family, so we go straight from the Bible. And the Bible, in the entire book of Revelations, explains what John saw in a vision straight from God about Heaven and Hell.

There is no Purgatory simply because if you don't believe in Christ and give yourself over to him completely, you go to Hell. Being a "good person" isn't enough for God.

((Btw, I don't mean to press my religious beliefs on anyone else, but I did want to share what I believe in.))

This was an email that I received from my youth leader that I thought summed everything up pretty well. This was an essay written by a teenager who tragically died. His parents framed this essay and hung it on the wall.

The Room...
In that place between wakefulness and dreams, I found myself in the room. There were no distinguishing features except for the one wall covered with small index card files. They were like the ones in libraries that list titles by author or subject in alphabetical order. But these files, which stretched from floor to ceiling and seemingly endless in either direction, had very different headings. As I drew near the wall of files, the first to catch my attention was one that read 'Girls I have liked.' I opened it and began flipping through the cards. I quickly shut it, shocked to realize that I recognized the names written on each one. And then without being told, I knew exactly where I was.
This lifeless room with its small files was a crude catalog system for my life. Here were written the actions of my every moment, big and small, in a detail my memory couldn't match. A sense of wonder and curiosity, coupled with horror, stirred within me as I began randomly opening files and exploring their content. Some brought joy and sweet memories; others a sense of shame and regret so intense that I would look over my shoulder to see if anyone was watching.
A file named 'Friends' was next to one marked 'Friends I have betrayed.' The titles ranged from the mundane to the outright weird 'Books I Have Read,' 'Lies I Have Told,' 'Comfort I have Given,' 'Jokes I Have Laughed at ' Some were almost hilarious in their exactness: 'Things I've yelled at my brothers.' Others I couldn't laugh at: 'Things I Have Done in My Anger', 'Things I Have Muttered Under My Breath at My Parents.' I never ceased to be surprised by the contents.
Often there were many more cards than I expected. Sometimes fewer than I hoped. I was overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the life I had lived. Could it be possible that I had the time in my years to fill each of these thousands or even millions of cards? But each card confirmed this truth. Each was written in my own handwriting. Each signed with my signature.
When I pulled out the file marked 'TV Shows I have watched', I realized the files grew to contain their contents. The cards were packed tightly, and yet after two or three yards, I hadn't found the end of the file. I shut it, shamed, not so much by the quality of shows but more by the vast time I knew that file represented.
When I came to a file marked 'Lustful Thoughts,' I felt a chill run through my body. I pulled the file out only an inch, not willing to test its size and drew out a card. I shuddered at its detailed content.
I felt sick to think that such a moment had been recorded. An almost animal rage broke on me. One thought dominated my mind: No one must ever see these cards! No one must ever see this room! I have to destroy them!' In insane frenzy I yanked the file out. Its size didn't matter now. I had to empty it and burn the cards.. But as I took it at one end and began pounding it on the floor, I could not dislodge a single card. I became desperate and pulled out a card, only to find it as strong as steel when I tried to tear it.
Defeated and utterly helpless, I returned the file to its slot. Leaning my forehead against the wall, I let out a long, self-pitying sigh.
And then I saw it.. The title bore 'People I Have Shared the Gospel With.' The handle was brighter than those around it,seemed newer, almost unused. I pulled on its handle and a small box not more than three inches long fell into my hands. I could count the cards it contained on one hand.
And then the tears came. I began to weep. Sobs so deep that they hurt. They started in my stomach and shook through me. I fell on my knees and cried. I cried out of shame, from the overwhelming shame of it all. The rows of file shelves swirled in my tear-filled eyes. No one must ever, ever know of this room. I must lock it up and hide the key. But then as I pushed away the tears, I saw Him.
No, please not Him. Not here. Oh, anyone but Jesus. I watched helplessly as He began to open the files and read the cards. I couldn't bear to watch His response. And in the moments I could bring myself to look at His face, I saw a sorrow deeper than my own.
He seemed to intuitively go to the worst boxes. Why did He have to read every one? Finally He turned and looked at me from across the room. He looked at me with pity in His eyes. But this was a pity that didn't anger me. I dropped my head, covered my face with my hands and began to cry again. He walked over and put His arm around me. He could have said so many things. But He didn't say a word. He just cried with me.
Then He got up and walked back to the wall of files. Starting at one end of the room, He took out a file and, one by one, began to sign His name over mine on each card. 'No!' I shouted rushing to Him. All I could find to say was 'No, no,' as I pulled the card from Him. His name shouldn't be on these cards. But there it was, written in red so rich, so dark, so alive. The name of Jesus covered mine. It was written with His blood. He gently took the card back. He smiled a sad smile and began to sign the cards. I don't think I'll ever understand how He did it so quickly, but the next instant it seemed I heard Him close the last file and walk back to my side.
He placed His hand on my shoulder and said, 'It is finished.' I stood up, and He led me out of the room. There was no lock on its door. There were still cards to be written.  

lil chica 34

Sparkly Seeker

7,850 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Streaker 200

Islamic Teacher

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:50 am
lil chica 34
I was raised in a Wesleyan church with a Christian family, so we go straight from the Bible. And the Bible, in the entire book of Revelations, explains what John saw in a vision straight from God about Heaven and Hell.

There is no Purgatory simply because if you don't believe in Christ and give yourself over to him completely, you go to Hell. Being a "good person" isn't enough for God.

((Btw, I don't mean to press my religious beliefs on anyone else, but I did want to share what I believe in.))

This was an email that I received from my youth leader that I thought summed everything up pretty well. This was an essay written by a teenager who tragically died. His parents framed this essay and hung it on the wall.

The Room...
In that place between wakefulness and dreams, I found myself in the room. There were no distinguishing features except for the one wall covered with small index card files. They were like the ones in libraries that list titles by author or subject in alphabetical order. But these files, which stretched from floor to ceiling and seemingly endless in either direction, had very different headings. As I drew near the wall of files, the first to catch my attention was one that read 'Girls I have liked.' I opened it and began flipping through the cards. I quickly shut it, shocked to realize that I recognized the names written on each one. And then without being told, I knew exactly where I was.
This lifeless room with its small files was a crude catalog system for my life. Here were written the actions of my every moment, big and small, in a detail my memory couldn't match. A sense of wonder and curiosity, coupled with horror, stirred within me as I began randomly opening files and exploring their content. Some brought joy and sweet memories; others a sense of shame and regret so intense that I would look over my shoulder to see if anyone was watching.
A file named 'Friends' was next to one marked 'Friends I have betrayed.' The titles ranged from the mundane to the outright weird 'Books I Have Read,' 'Lies I Have Told,' 'Comfort I have Given,' 'Jokes I Have Laughed at ' Some were almost hilarious in their exactness: 'Things I've yelled at my brothers.' Others I couldn't laugh at: 'Things I Have Done in My Anger', 'Things I Have Muttered Under My Breath at My Parents.' I never ceased to be surprised by the contents.
Often there were many more cards than I expected. Sometimes fewer than I hoped. I was overwhelmed by the sheer volume of the life I had lived. Could it be possible that I had the time in my years to fill each of these thousands or even millions of cards? But each card confirmed this truth. Each was written in my own handwriting. Each signed with my signature.
When I pulled out the file marked 'TV Shows I have watched', I realized the files grew to contain their contents. The cards were packed tightly, and yet after two or three yards, I hadn't found the end of the file. I shut it, shamed, not so much by the quality of shows but more by the vast time I knew that file represented.
When I came to a file marked 'Lustful Thoughts,' I felt a chill run through my body. I pulled the file out only an inch, not willing to test its size and drew out a card. I shuddered at its detailed content.
I felt sick to think that such a moment had been recorded. An almost animal rage broke on me. One thought dominated my mind: No one must ever see these cards! No one must ever see this room! I have to destroy them!' In insane frenzy I yanked the file out. Its size didn't matter now. I had to empty it and burn the cards.. But as I took it at one end and began pounding it on the floor, I could not dislodge a single card. I became desperate and pulled out a card, only to find it as strong as steel when I tried to tear it.
Defeated and utterly helpless, I returned the file to its slot. Leaning my forehead against the wall, I let out a long, self-pitying sigh.
And then I saw it.. The title bore 'People I Have Shared the Gospel With.' The handle was brighter than those around it,seemed newer, almost unused. I pulled on its handle and a small box not more than three inches long fell into my hands. I could count the cards it contained on one hand.
And then the tears came. I began to weep. Sobs so deep that they hurt. They started in my stomach and shook through me. I fell on my knees and cried. I cried out of shame, from the overwhelming shame of it all. The rows of file shelves swirled in my tear-filled eyes. No one must ever, ever know of this room. I must lock it up and hide the key. But then as I pushed away the tears, I saw Him.
No, please not Him. Not here. Oh, anyone but Jesus. I watched helplessly as He began to open the files and read the cards. I couldn't bear to watch His response. And in the moments I could bring myself to look at His face, I saw a sorrow deeper than my own.
He seemed to intuitively go to the worst boxes. Why did He have to read every one? Finally He turned and looked at me from across the room. He looked at me with pity in His eyes. But this was a pity that didn't anger me. I dropped my head, covered my face with my hands and began to cry again. He walked over and put His arm around me. He could have said so many things. But He didn't say a word. He just cried with me.
Then He got up and walked back to the wall of files. Starting at one end of the room, He took out a file and, one by one, began to sign His name over mine on each card. 'No!' I shouted rushing to Him. All I could find to say was 'No, no,' as I pulled the card from Him. His name shouldn't be on these cards. But there it was, written in red so rich, so dark, so alive. The name of Jesus covered mine. It was written with His blood. He gently took the card back. He smiled a sad smile and began to sign the cards. I don't think I'll ever understand how He did it so quickly, but the next instant it seemed I heard Him close the last file and walk back to my side.
He placed His hand on my shoulder and said, 'It is finished.' I stood up, and He led me out of the room. There was no lock on its door. There were still cards to be written.

But what are your own personal interpretations on those Bible verses?  
4:12 Discipleship Unashamed

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff