Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Gays must like everything gay and know everyone gay! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Anja Sedai

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:58 pm
I dunno. Does anyone else get this from people? Like because you're GLBT you automatically must like everything that's GLBT related? Oh, that tv show has a gay character? You must watch it and love it! Oh, that celeb is gay? I bet you already knew that! Like... what? My mom tends to do this to me a lot. She just assumes that I know/like everything GLBT related. I've got friends that do it too. And then if I don't happen to know/like X then I'm a failure at being gay. And it's just weird.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:33 am
I have never been into gay culture. Its always seemed kinda weird to me. confused  

Rezal_Zioun

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:15 am
i just adore it when people assume i must like glee because "it has gay people in it" rolleyes i hate that show btw

nor have i ever been to a lesbian hang out like alot of people assume, and i havent had massive orgies, and i dont put on a girl on girl show for my lucky husband to watch

ive seen alot of allies do this and i know they mean well but i really wish they woulod stop assuming that being lgbt determines who i know and what i do  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:56 am
No, not exactly...but I sort of know what you mean. I mean, I like Will & Grace, I don't wear "loud" colours, but I do like electronic music and going to broadway plays. Also, yes, I do think I'm FABULOUS! Lol!  

humble_gypsy_traveller

Business Sex Symbol

9,250 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Trader 100
  • Tycoon 200

lenon01

Dangerous Lunatic

8,750 Points
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Timid 100
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:45 pm
That's stupid. I don't even watch television and celebrity gossip is literally so inconsequential to me that I get angry that anyone else even cares about other people's personal lives just because they happen to be famous.

I'm interested in LGBT things that might actually impact me, since they actually matter. DOMA, for example.

I do things that are not really even related to the LGBT community in the public mind at all.

On the other hand, I will admit that I tend to like the trashy techno music and I do dress well (or perhaps everyone else just looks like hobos where I live?).

Oh, and I'm not fabulous. I'm superior. emotion_dealwithit Peasants.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:51 pm
Eh, around Pride week I usually get asked which activities I'll be participating in ("Are you going to the bar? Playing in or watching the softball games? Going to be at the parade? How about the LGBT art show?"), and some people seem confused when I say that I'm not really interested in any of the goings-on. Other than that, it's not really something I encounter too terribly often anymore.

I am reminded of a similar attitude, though...

A lonnnng while ago, I used to frequent a thread here on Gaia called Ask the Gay Guys. When the thread was active, it seemed like at least once a day we would get a post from a rabid....fan-girl, shall we say?

"Oh. My. GOD. I freaking LOVE gays! LOVE THEM. GAY GUYS ARE SOOOOO CUUUUTE AND AWESOME! I just like, love Will & Grace, and I want a gay best friend! We can go shopping and try on makeup and clothes and BE BEST FRIENDS FOREVER OMFGILOVEGAYGUYS!"

*twitch*

It just seems to stem from the idea that we all have the same personality and interests, and that we all like the same things. I've always found it irritating (and insulting), not because there is anything wrong with those stereotypical traits, but because of the assumption that we're all just interchangeable accessories rather than individuals.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

DeathxGrip

Dedicated Browser

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:07 pm
I don't experience that but apparently a lot of people think I'm straight?
I have experienced that all my gay/bi friends tend to know each other... and everyone
in this city(that's gay/bi) knows about each other... it's quite annoying tbh...
really gross if you question the personal life. My ex knew and dated a lot of people
I know lol... and he knew like everyone I dated before him. Celebrity wise, I don't
really follow celebrities, I only know the ones in the movies I see constantly lol.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:22 am
Taeryyn
Eh, around Pride week I usually get asked which activities I'll be participating in ("Are you going to the bar? Playing in or watching the softball games? Going to be at the parade? How about the LGBT art show?"), and some people seem confused when I say that I'm not really interested in any of the goings-on. Other than that, it's not really something I encounter too terribly often anymore.

I am reminded of a similar attitude, though...

A lonnnng while ago, I used to frequent a thread here on Gaia called Ask the Gay Guys. When the thread was active, it seemed like at least once a day we would get a post from a rabid....fan-girl, shall we say?

"Oh. My. GOD. I freaking LOVE gays! LOVE THEM. GAY GUYS ARE SOOOOO CUUUUTE AND AWESOME! I just like, love Will & Grace, and I want a gay best friend! We can go shopping and try on makeup and clothes and BE BEST FRIENDS FOREVER OMFGILOVEGAYGUYS!"

*twitch*

It just seems to stem from the idea that we all have the same personality and interests, and that we all like the same things. I've always found it irritating (and insulting), not because there is anything wrong with those stereotypical traits, but because of the assumption that we're all just interchangeable accessories rather than individuals.

once when a girl found out my current boyfriend at the time was bi she asked if he would kiss another guy for her. i really hate rabid yaoi fans

and it goes without saying that as a bisexual woman ive had men asking me to kiss other women for them even though im married  

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200

HandsomeStanly

Sparkly Gekko

9,100 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Generous 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:53 am
Well, I'm in high school, and my sexual 'Identity' is still sort of in the making, for example, if I see an attractive guy I am able to go 'Hot dayum look at those cheek bones.' and well just appreciate that he has a nice build, but I also have found myself attracted to some that I get to know in a way, and then with women I'm kind of really shy and quiet and just thinking, "Omigoshshe'sreallyprettyIwonderifshenoticedme?" and well I find it happens more with women then men. And well because I naturally have a more masculine build in some features of my body, where's others are much more feminine such as most of my personality, people assume I'm a lesbian right off the bat, but if it's someone I know who asks me I normally just tell them,
"Well, I think I'm bi-sexual, but I really prefer women." and my definition of myself seems to change a lot, which for some reason bothers people but I'm at a point in my life where I can't just be one defined thing.

But anyway, I get a lot of, well annoying and somewhat insulting things from some friends that know that about me, because for some reason my masculine traits are like amplified, and I have my guy friends asking me stuff like,
"So out of everyone in this room who has the nicest a**?" or saying things like, "Well lets see we've got three boys and four girls, Oh! Wait, sorry, I forgot you count as a guy."
This kind of infuriates me, because though there is nothing wrong with transgenders just because I say I like women doesn't mean I'm automatically a man, or that I like constantly oggeling at their bodies. When I do date a guy they sort of just ruin it for me acting all betrayed saying things like,
'Well looks like she's a chick again', and well I'm not the kind of person who really 'dates' and that rare occasion is normally someone special guy or girl, my last boyfriend was always worried I wasn't happy with him because he was a guy because my friends would say these things around him.
And my lady friends are no different, one even had the nerv to say,
"looks like I got the wrong brand of gay friend." jokingly but it still hurt me a lot, and other women not my friends who have found out have avoided me and have said things like,
"She should change in a different bathroom, she's basically a man."
So now I've gotten all defensive about my sexuality again.

So, yeah sorry for the long post but >< that's my example of how people are forcing these things onto me?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:49 am
3nodding It's been years since I've posted here. Hello again.

You know what amuses me? The people that assume that I must have exceptional gay-dar because I am gay.
I find myself about as accurate as your average doorknob. I wish I could be a lesbian sonar so I could home in on potenial mates, (would have saved me years of embarrassment) but I am not, unfortunately.

Ayame_Rikimayu

Lovely Morningstar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:44 pm
I never experienced this no. Mostly due to no one really knowing I'm gay? But I am sorta interested in that stuff.. Not to the extreme that the stereotype conveys but I would love to participate in a gay pride parade.

Mind you I'd keep my clothes ON but meh.
Also the only gay celebrity I care about is Ellen Degeneres and not just because she's gay, but because she is hilarious.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:49 pm
Ayame_Rikimayu
3nodding It's been years since I've posted here. Hello again.

You know what amuses me? The people that assume that I must have exceptional gay-dar because I am gay.
I find myself about as accurate as your average doorknob. I wish I could be a lesbian sonar so I could home in on potenial mates, (would have saved me years of embarrassment) but I am not, unfortunately.

Oh man, I wish I had better gaydar. Or even read signs better. I usually never know someone is gay and/or interested until they ask me out. I'm such a fail.  

Anja Sedai

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150

Anja Sedai

Timely Traveler

20,450 Points
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:53 pm
Lovely Morningstar
I never experienced this no. Mostly due to no one really knowing I'm gay? But I am sorta interested in that stuff.. Not to the extreme that the stereotype conveys but I would love to participate in a gay pride parade.

Mind you I'd keep my clothes ON but meh.
Also the only gay celebrity I care about is Ellen Degeneres and not just because she's gay, but because she is hilarious.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same way in being sort of interested. I watch a few glbt movies and read a few glbt books, and I think a pride parade might be kind of fun, but it's not a big focus for me.  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:08 pm
I hate those people. On a side note though one person I know in my composition class in college assumes that everyone in the LGBT community is confused based off of what happened in their life and I had to resist the urge to throw a textbook at her..stupid overly religious jerk... stressed

Maybe this is a sign I should move out of Texas..that and the fact there isn't a pride week where I am..I'm actually really not sure what it is to be honest, or what the events are..  

Isabella Kiyoshi

Versatile Lunatic

Guardian Arlen

Steadfast Guardian

17,250 Points
  • Battle: Defender 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:25 am
Well, I haven't really have that kind of problem yet. While I am gay, and like some things that "gays are expected to like," I'm not someone that fits into a cookie cutter mould that people can just label.

You know what they say, to assume is to make an a** out of u and me.  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff