Welcome to Gaia! ::

River of Polls : A GUILD OF RANDOMNESS AND EVERYTHING!!!!!!!

Back to Guilds

A random-based guild in which you may literally spam, chat, and do whatever you want. (Just follow the TOS and have fun!!!) 

Tags: Spam, Polls, Chat, Everything, Hangout, Role-playing, Role, Play, Word, Games, Quizzes, Discussion, Friends, Roleplay 

Reply River of Polls
I need some headphone advice Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I want....
  New headphones
  Peace and quiet
  both
View Results

Gandalf_the_Girl

3,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:24 pm
My knowledge doesn't equal what it needs to to figure out what it is that I want. I'm hoping one of you knows about this stuff.

My thing is I'm looking for headphone that I can hook into my laptop, but that will eliminate noise. Well, first I was wanting just those things that look like the huge aviator headphones from the '80's that are for safety (like that you would wear at a noisy construction site/factory or something like that so you don't go deaf). It's noisy wear I live. The radio and TV are played really loud most of the time. I'd be great to have silence when I want/need it. And when I was looking for those I found stuff on noise cacellation headphone and things like that. So, I figured since I needed some headphones, too that maybe I could get a 2 in 1 deal and just get some noise cancellation headphones.

But then there's different types and stuff. Some are noise cancellation and some are fidelity isolation and other types, too I think. I'm not really sure what all these things do and I also don't know what will do what I want it to do. I'd love for the headphones to be able to cancel out all the noise I want even if I don't have music on. From what I read today, the noise cancellation just changes existing outside noise into something that sounds like your music (...or something like that) so, that probably won't work at all if I'm not listening to anything. Plus, the ones I was looking at today atleast, said it cancelled out ambient noise and I don't know that loud music from another room is considered ambient, so the type of noise I want gone might not be the right type of noise anyway.

Anyhow, do any of you have any idea about this stuff?

Thanks!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:04 pm
ear plugs?

We have a store that you can get 300 dollar headphones. But then the lifetime warranty is if anything happens you can take them in a get new ones. You can literally buy them break them and then replace them.

Though I don't really have an ear for sound. I would try the ambient cancellation ones.  

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

Tree_Spirit 5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:17 pm
Well the Bose QuietComfort 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones aren't bad.
But that's mostly if you can afford them. I don't usually get any headphones worth less than 50 dollars though There's a real quality difference in how long they last and how good their sounds are.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:48 pm
You seem to understand what headphones do.
I used to have noise cancellation headphones that were around 50$ They worked okay but I never had to use the noise cancellation feature. :[
I have these now, I love them. Its the $80 ones. The stuff that wraps around your ears, they are literally like marshmallows and comfortable.
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644615399&N=4294941508

Its all preferability. Know how much you want to spend, and which would work best for you. You said you live in a noisey area so maybe noise and ambient cancellation. With the headphones I have, I don't need that because At a low volume they are pretty clear and crisp and loud and since they are like ear muffs its pretty hard to hear whats going on outside.
What I would do is go to the store and try out the headphones there. I can guarantee that there will be bose headphones there but I don't know if you want to spend that kind of money. I purchased my headphones at Best Buy after I tried them out and heard little demo's/samples. I love my headphones. Good luck.  

Dannyxcores
Crew

Gandalf_the_Girl

3,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:02 pm
I don't really have a lot of money to spend, though, so that's going to have to cancel out anything expensive.

Earplugs hurt my ears after a while.

I guess they could be a temporary solution, though.

...although they'd probably wind up pushing a bunch of earwax into my ear.

...hmmmm ....maybe  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:07 pm
Dannyxcores
You seem to understand what headphones do.
I used to have noise cancellation headphones that were around 50$ They worked okay but I never had to use the noise cancellation feature. :[
I have these now, I love them. Its the $80 ones. The stuff that wraps around your ears, they are literally like marshmallows and comfortable.
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644615399&N=4294941508

Its all preferability. Know how much you want to spend, and which would work best for you. You said you live in a noisey area so maybe noise and ambient cancellation. With the headphones I have, I don't need that because At a low volume they are pretty clear and crisp and loud and since they are like ear muffs its pretty hard to hear whats going on outside.
What I would do is go to the store and try out the headphones there. I can guarantee that there will be bose headphones there but I don't know if you want to spend that kind of money. I purchased my headphones at Best Buy after I tried them out and heard little demo's/samples. I love my headphones. Good luck.

Thanks!

Maybe when I have a little more money to play with I'll check into something like that. Might not get the extra bass, though. But...that's just me.  

Gandalf_the_Girl

3,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Dannyxcores
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:11 pm
Gandalf_the_Girl
Thanks!

Maybe when I have a little more money to play with I'll check into something like that. Might not get the extra bass, though. But...that's just me.
Glad I can help. Whenever you can get the chance, try out some headphones at some store. Oh and dude, they aren't dramatically bassy. Dx
I can't remember if you're a dude. Sorry. Everyone confuses me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:13 pm
Dannyxcores
Gandalf_the_Girl
Thanks!

Glad I can help. Whenever you can get the chance, try out some headphones at some store. Oh and dude, they aren't dramatically bassy. Dx
I can't remember if you're a dude. Sorry. Everyone confuses me.

Not dramatically bassy? ....good, that's cool then.

Technically, I'm a chick, but....no big deal.  

Gandalf_the_Girl

3,100 Points
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Dressed Up 200

Dannyxcores
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:15 pm
eek I couldn't imagine what extremely bassy headphones would do to you.
And thats good you told me that, now I should remember.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:19 pm
If you want to go the route of headphones that block out sound, you'll want to save up since anything cheap doesn't work for very long. and stuff that's middle ground will be good for a bit, but might not supply you with the amount you want to block out.

Best case would be getting a pair of studio headphones. But those cost quite a bit.  

cool4
Captain

Buggy Glitch

Aoi the Crossdresser

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:30 pm
Ipod headhpones. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:45 am
Aoi the Crossdresser
Ipod headhpones. biggrin
Those are such low quality. Even the apple headphones that aren't packaged with their ipods are low quality.

Ultimately if you're going to get good headphones, you'll need to know what you need out of them. Just being able to hear music might be enough, and noise cancelling features might not be important. Anything under 50 isn't going to be made to last for very long, so you end up saving money the more expensive you go. The cheaper you go the less likely it'll last very long, and the more money overall you'll spend on headphones.  

Tree_Spirit 5

Aoi the Crossdresser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:26 pm
Tree_Spirit 5
Aoi the Crossdresser
Ipod headhpones. biggrin
Those are such low quality. Even the apple headphones that aren't packaged with their ipods are low quality.

Ultimately if you're going to get good headphones, you'll need to know what you need out of them. Just being able to hear music might be enough, and noise cancelling features might not be important. Anything under 50 isn't going to be made to last for very long, so you end up saving money the more expensive you go. The cheaper you go the less likely it'll last very long, and the more money overall you'll spend on headphones.
HOw is it low quality? They sound good. sad  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:57 pm
Low quality can mean a variety of things.
Usually it means the wires aren't very protected. So they'll end up breaking inside their little rubber protector.
Another thing would be a low quality speaker. (though if it's jammed into your ear as an earbud the sound quality isn't quite as important.

Just because earbuds sound good, doesn't mean they're good headphones.  

Tree_Spirit 5

Aoi the Crossdresser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:58 pm
They sound good to me. sad  
River of Polls

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items