She was going to learn how to swim dammit. It had nothing at all to do with the fact she might encounter water on a future mission, or the fact she was bored and couldn't find anyway to play with (it might have something to do with missions and what not but whatever. Ofelia was totally not observant enough to figure out missions were always ongoing). She was a bit tired of bothering Bix and Before for company and she wasn't sure that Rep or Jordan or anyone else wanted to see with her and have a fun adventure. It was annoying to think she didn't have many more friends then that, she'd bothered the crap out of everyone to the point they probably didn't like her.

Ofelia refused to believe that no one liked her, she was an awesome person, and eventually she'd find a way to make them want to be her friend. It was an odd streak of posessiveness, seeing as she normally didn't try to claim anything, and Ofelia counted down the people that needed to be pulled to her side. When the number moved from one hand to the other she stopped counting. It was at this point in time she decided to go swimming.

The last time she'd encoutered water to go swimming it had been one of those days she tried to block from memory. Her brother had suggested they try and splash around in a nearby cow pond. The weather had been hot, she'd been about seven or eight years old, and by the end of it she'd swallowed more than enough of her own weight in water to refuse to go back in.

A good thing that came from it was her brother knowing CPR and how to save someone who was drowning in less than three feet of water. As a child she was tiny; it was amazing to see that Ofelia had grown to nearly six feet by the time she reached her teens. Her brother was only a few inches taller before she left and the girl wondered if he'd grown taller. It was unknown how long she spent in the pod, having strange dreams about the past. It didn't really matter though since she was dead to them and would never see them again.

Part of her wished she'd brought a picture of him along but the sun inter wasn't the type for regrets. Regrets brought on stomachaches and heartburn. Neither of those things were pleasant and usually ended up with Ofelia thinking she was dying and refusing to go to medical to get better. Stupid medical, always scaring the crap out of her with their clean walls and weird smells. She'd frown right now but her focus was totally on the fact she wanted to go swimming.

There was no swimsuit, she didn't really need one, and she dressed herself in a set of underwear that she wouldn't care if it got ruined. Shame wasn't in her dictionary (alongside regret, of course) so the pretty purple fabric would just have to be sacrificed to the water that lined the beach. The worry that she might get swept away or drown was at the back of her mind though as she approached and stuck her toes into the sandy and murky substance the thought of drowning plowed itself to the forefront of her brain.

A cackle started to leak itself into her ears, fingers spreading over her mind as Rue took in the situation. Her silence was only broken during times of suffering or when Ofelia felt nervous enough that her heart started to pound in her chest. This was one of those times and Rue's start of conversation was unwelcome.

This was nothing new.

What are you doing, retard? She hissed in her usual tone, a thin noise that almost ticked in a strange way. Are you planning on killing yourself like this? To be honest I don't know if my shield I provide would save you from drowning, so this seems like an interesting chance. Rue cackled out her words and Ofelia felt her skin prickle. Are you ignoring me?

"Ah'm tryin' to but s'kinda hard when yer in mah head." Ofelia spoke curtly.

I see you haven't figured out that you can speak to me with your mind. I'm not surprised considering how slow and stupid you are. Retard is a perfect word for you since it means halted or delayed. She said. The teen was not really impressed that her weapon would know a good definition; Rue seemed smart enough and if the stories were true then she must have been a student from the school at one time. I will never tell you about my past.

"Ah thought ya didn' know 'bout yer past." Ofelia spoke, and she felt Rue hesitate. She had her there but this conversation needed to stop. The water wasn't getting any closer and she wasn't learning to swim this way. Of course she was still freakin' terrified and having the water lap at her ankles was not helping that fear. Rue's cackles only added to it like icing on the top of a cake.

Still she needed to get in the water. There was no turning back, she needed to wade in, and Ofelia started to sing a song she remembered as a child. Her brother sang it to her sometimes when he was giving her a bath; he did it a few times after her accident when she couldn't manage anything without destroying everything. The song rolled in her head, she hoped she remembered all the words, and she took a deep breath even though she wasn't anywhere near having her head submerged.

"She waded in the water an' she got her ankles wet. She waded in the water an' she got her ankles wet. She waded in the water an' she got her ankles wet, but she didn' get 'er swimsuit wet. Yet." She sang as best she could, totally off-key in her wondrous tone deaf nature. Rue was groaning inside her head, finally stopping her background cackles. "She waded in the water an' she got her kneecaps wet. She waded in the water an' she got her kneecaps wet. She waded in the water an' she got her kneecaps wet but she didn' get 'er swimsuit wet. Yet."

Hurry up and get your stupid a** into the water. I'm curious to see how this all plays out. If we're both lucky your body will wash up one shore as someone's running by. If not then you're doomed to float away and get eaten by a shark. Rue sounded annoyed as she spoke and she urged forward. Ofelia sighed and looked at the waters and started inward. She was up to her knees, the song was ringing true, and it was cold against her skin.

This.....probably was a mistake. Oh well.