User Image

Part Two

Endless.

That was the word which always came to mind once Ironforge came back to the present, once he recalled that the oh so vivid vision which danced in his mind were of the past. He was not being marched endlessly along a foul muddy path, beaten, broken - and sometimes he thought sadly, not dying. It was almost shameful to recall the secret desire he had held during that time. The desire to die. Why? Why had he survived while the rest in his command had died? Why couldn't he had died along with them - at least they were free of the torment he now endured. Selfish, shameful...terrible these thoughts were and yet they had plagued him for a good long while during the terrible weeks of his captivity.

Weeks he did not wish to relive and yet, like always, once the floodgates to his memories were opened his own desires mattered for little and shuddering in the darkness he was taken back in time, memories flashing through his mind in an endless dreadful spiral that he'd never quite been able to outrun.

********************************************************************************************************************************

Ironforge was not sure exactly how far he had traveled - if he was being honest with himself he wasn't even entirely sure how many days he had been dragged along by the ruffians who held him in captivity. That he was being taken to the enemy camp was a given, what would happen to him once he got there however was up in the air.

Sadly - he did not think that they would kill him. His wound's gave him hope however fore they flamed and ached and oozed in way's that he knew were not healthy. Perhaps infection would take him before he got there. Truly he wished it to be so, he ought to have died on the battlefield with his brethren...he ought to have died in their place. They had been good creatures one and all and it seemed unjust that of all of them only he had survived...he who had led them into that trap, he who had urged them forward.

Yes death would be a mercy. One he would welcome, one he wished for.

But one that he was not to be given. After days of endless marching - days and nights which blended together into a hazy feverish mix of blurred memories it seemed that they had arrived at their destination. The white stallion was far to weak by this point to take in a proper account of his surroundings, instead his memories recalled only the sounds of many hooves and rushing waters.

When next he awoke the sound of water was a cruel reminder of just how thirsty he was. How long had it been since they had given him food? Water? Quite some time if his parched throat and swollen tongue were any indications and while it was hard to tell from the outside due to his fluffy thick coat Ironforge could tell that he had lost weight as well. Days of marching on a substandard diet had left him drained, it was hard to think clearly, hard to move past the burning of his wounds and throat. But he was no longer marching - that had ended a while ago, no he recalled now that he had opened his eyes in this place a couple times before - he'd just lost consciousness shortly after. A cave of some sort seemed to be his prison and while he could hear the water nearby it was no where to be seen..perhaps in another part of the cave, perhaps it ran underground and could be heard through the caves walls, Ironforge had heard of such things before. Regardless of it's location the white stallion couldn't quite decide if it was good or bad. One one hand it gave him hope for water in the future..on the other it was a constant vicious torment.

"Ah you are awake, she will be pleased to know" A voice brought him back to reality, focused his still somewhat confused mind until he noticed the shadow falling over him where he lay. Never would Ironforge meet an enemy laying upon the ground and as soon as he took notice of the stallion he was struggling to rise, weakened limbs trembling with the effort. "Do not rise on my account beast, I've no regard for you standing or laying down - you're worthless either way" The unknown stallion told him with a laugh.

Ironforge, shaky and weak, barely capable of standing upright none the less struggled to rise his head and look the other in the eye "Yes" He rasped his voice made rough by the dryness of his throat "I can see just how worthless you think I am, considering the condition you had to let me fall to before approaching" Feverish, weak, guilty..but still proud Ironforge was determined not to let this unknown stallion get the better of him.

Another bark of laughter met Ironforges remark and the beast shook his pitch black head, burning eyes glowing like coals in the darkness "Poor creature..if only you knew..." The stallion spoke, an almost sincere tone of pity in his voice, sincere enough that Ironforge almost took it as genuine...until the next comment was given in a snappy almost jolly tone "Ah well you shall see soon enough, I will go and tell her you will live" Without another word the stallion turned and left, leaving Ironforge to give in his vain attempt to remain standing, falling heavily to his knees and then slumping to the ground with a groan.

"She who?" Was his last whispered thought before his eyes fluttered closed again.

It was the alluring scent of clover which woke the stallion next, breathing deeply he moved his head until his muzzle brushed against the greenery, It wasn't until he'd taken his first bite that he opened his eyes realizing that the smell was not simply another dreamed reality. Upon blinking open hazy eyes he caught sight of the clover...and directly behind it a set of pale brown legs and cloven hooves. Instantly the food was forgotten and Ironforge was once more consumed with the effort to stand and remain so. He would not meet the enemy laying on the ground.

"Pitiful beast, it is hard to imagine that you are the one who has caused me so much trouble" The brown mare stated, wandering around him in a slow circle while Ironforge struggled to keep her in his sight.

"I would beg forgiveness...but I relish any trouble caused to you" Ironforge told the mare in his weak and raspy voice.

"Spoken like a true soldier" The mare replied with a laugh before pausing "...And yet, I wonder if your loyalty would be so strong if you knew the truth.."

"I know the truth, I know what you desire to do and am duty bound to stop it" Ironforge responded, ignoring the mare's attempt to draw him out, make him question who and what he was. It was a trick, it was always a trick.

"Poor stallion" The mare replied "So blinded, so trusting....so betrayed. Your queen fed you to the wolves" The brown mare told him "Sacrificed your troops in a failed distraction. You were never going to hold that pass, your Queen knew the strength of my troops there - your attack was a simple ploy to keep me occupied while she moved the rest of her army elsewhere. Isn't it nice to know that all your Soquili died so that the rest of the army could simple...move camp. The sad thing is the ploy did not even work...we caught your queens army as they moved and stopped them. Sad..such a waste. So pointless" The mare stated, reaching out as htought to nuzzle him in compassion.

It was faked compassion, Ironforge knew this and a shudder ran through him at the mares touch even as he drew back and away from her, the only response his repulsion got was a tinkling amused laugh from the mare. "You lie" He told her harshly.

"Oh if only it were true" The mare responded.."But never fear you will get the chance to ask her yourself, you are apparently important enough to buy back. The war is over General...and you have lost, Your queen huddles in a small valley, all that is left of her once proud empire and you?..you return as a glorified war hero..and a failure all at the same time..isn't that nice?" The mares last remark came out as a hiss of contempt before she turned on and left, hooves clicking on the stone floor as she went and Ironforge..he found that the smell of the clover was a sickly one.

********************************************************************************************************************************

The memories were terrible..Wasn't it ironic that those memories you so wished to forget were often the ones that you recalled in vivid detail? Why couldn't the happier times remain so solidly in place? The pouring rain and clashing thunder did much to hide the white stallion's anguish at these recollections - a fact he was glad for as he shook his head and fought off sleep. He did not wish to close his eyes...because he knew the journey wasn't over yet.