Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
Counter Protests Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:27 pm
WBC protested the Kevin Smith movie Red State.

Smith helped orginize counter protests- where humorous and pro-LGBT signs were held up.
My question is this- what would your counter protest sign be?
I want to wear kitty ears and a tail and hold one that says "p***y Tastes Great!"  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:48 pm
I can't think of anything clever at the moment. xp Possibly "You keep God; we've got Dumbledore and Gandalf."

One of the best ones I've seen, though:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Impy Kun

Dapper Lunatic

7,600 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:13 pm
I saw one at an anime convention that was made in protest when the WBC showed up that said, 'Jesus was nailed to a cross: Thor has a hammer,' that I thought was pretty funny.

If I were to come up with an original one though, I'd have to say that I like, 'God is tired of your bad song parodies.'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:02 pm
Mine would say something silly. I can't think of anything at the moment that isn't cliche. I'm rather sleepy at the moment.

Oh! I got one, "God hates abused punctuation." It's like whenever some religious dolt wants to make a point they love to underline , bold, CAPITALIZE, AND DO ALL THREE WITH LOTS AND LOTS OF EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or, "So if homosexuality is a sin, I can't eat pork?"  

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100

Purple Robot Queen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:51 pm
I might go with:

"God hates clean-shaven men. Lev 19:27"

Let Phelps think about that while he's lathering up Sunday morning before church.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:34 pm
I'm actually wondering what would happen if people didn't pay any attention to people when they picketed, and acted like they weren't even there. Might be interesting.  

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:03 pm
Dancehall Hysteria
I'm actually wondering what would happen if people didn't pay any attention to people when they picketed, and acted like they weren't even there. Might be interesting.
I have been wondering that too. Like, just have some sort of event close to WBC but ignore them.

Edit: Like that South Park episode were Cartman thinks he is dead because everyone is ignoring him.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:07 pm
Blackrose_Knight
Dancehall Hysteria
I have been wondering that too. Like, just have some sort of event close to WBC but ignore them.

Edit: Like that South Park episode were Cartman thinks he is dead because everyone is ignoring him.

Yeah, just ignore them. Might be cool if they left faster because they weren't getting a reaction.  

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

Blackrose_Knight

Devoted Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:08 pm
Dancehall Hysteria
Blackrose_Knight
Dancehall Hysteria

Yeah, just ignore them. Might be cool if they left faster because they weren't getting a reaction.
Eh, I assume they would stay their whole allotted time.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:14 pm
Blackrose_Knight
Dancehall Hysteria
Blackrose_Knight
Dancehall Hysteria

Eh, I assume they would stay their whole allotted time.

True. Although, it might be cool to see the looks on their faces when they realize noone's listening.  

loonaboots

Shady Zapper

Prussian Imperial Guard

Fashionable Lunatic

8,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:43 pm
I would probably make sign specifically to stand next to one of the protesters with that said something along the lines of "Lol, this guy. --------->".  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:35 pm
Dancehall Hysteria
Blackrose_Knight
Dancehall Hysteria

I think ignoring bullies encourages them- they think they can get away with it and since it doesn't treat the root cause of their behavior, it just keeps going.  

Esiris

Newbie Sophomore

10,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Popular Thread 100

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:09 pm
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria
Blackrose_Knight
Dancehall Hysteria

I think ignoring bullies encourages them- they think they can get away with it and since it doesn't treat the root cause of their behavior, it just keeps going.

This. They might leave one person alone, but it won't stop them completely and just continue what they are doing to another person. It isn't really stop them.

As for a protest sign, I can't think of one, but I thought this was a funny way of handling them-
http://yukoisbadmedicine.deviantart.com/favourites/43550019?offset=24#/dy5ogp  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:39 pm
I remember when one of the "God hates ____" churches came to campus and the LGBT organization was doing a bake sale on the same day so they gave the bigots free cookies. One of the funniest moments of my life was when the bigots realized who had made the cookies and when they looked over at the table, a couple of the guys at it winked and waved flirtatiously at them. Even the campus police burst out laughing, it was a work of art.

Damn it, I wish they'd do another bake sale now...they made damn good cookies.  

Wandering Skald

Dapper Dabbler

6,775 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Explorer 100

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:47 pm
Esiris
Dancehall Hysteria
Blackrose_Knight
Dancehall Hysteria

They'll just find a new target once they get bored anyway.

I think we should ridicule them, or even better, try to educate the bigots. c:  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff