Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
So I want to hear your thoughts on polygamy Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:03 pm
I'd like to hear these thoughts

personally I never cared much about it, but I feel like the polygamist movement and the GLBT movements have a lot to offer eachother, thinking from a pure civil rights standpoint, I feel like I have no ability to tell people how their feelings work, and I can't say that I've seen proof that a person can't have deep romantic feeling to more than one person.

Also I see a similar trend in polygamist repression as with gay repression, Polygamists are branded as ***** and sexual deviates, often stated that it is only there for the sexual desires of one man to sleep with as many people as he can.

Personally I think it is quite probable that there are legitimate polygamist relationships out there, especially since other cultures have already seen them  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:17 pm
Many people seem to see polygamy as being inextricably linked with child brides and arranged or forced marriages, and that will definitely hold back progress. It's been a hot topic here in recent years, and Canada's current laws against polygamy might not be constitutional. :p So we'll see what happens.

I have no issue with polyamory or with consenting adults choosing to have more than one spouse. I'm not sure how exactly we would revamp our current systems to work with plural marriages, though. Nearly every government form would need to be reworked, and I imagine it would complicate things like income taxes, child tax credits, social assistance, family law...
Basically, a bureaucratic nightmare, and I'm glad it isn't my job. xd  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

ForeverDreamWithinADream

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:44 pm
I am not into it personally as I don't want to share my lover (assuming I ever get one in my life) with another and I already have a hard time finding people I can trust and connect with to really fall in love and I can see where jealously will come into play.

To each their own I guess. If someone can truly fall in love with more than one person and they all agree to the relationship, more power to them.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:07 am
Personally, I do not agree with it. It is wrong to have multiple spouses. And not only at the same time, I disagreeing with divorces. I believe if you get a divorce you simply gave up on a relationship, but as I said that is simply my opinion.
I truly do not like anything that has to do with multiple wives, but I don't want to go on a rant.
The only way I will tolerate it, or not comment on it, is if the family are Mormon's as I would not protest against their religion, I would respect it. No matter how much I truly disagree with it.

The Bodacious Soul Reaper

[.Silvr-Moon.]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:31 am
Polygamy isn't something I am personally into when it comes to relationships, but I respect and notice that it exists out there and I have absolutely no problem with it for other people, as long as they all consent. I guess I'm just too selfish, for I wouldn't want to share my special someone with anyone else, but as long as people are happy and consent to it, they can have as many partners as they'd like! It's just not something for me!

I hope I made sense!  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:50 am
Personally, I feel that if those involved can create and maintain a functional relationship where everyone is happy I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed to have a polygamous marriage.

Saying that however, I could never see myself in a polygamous relationship.

If it was made legal could it be reversed (woman having many husbands?)

Pink Slowpoke

Liberal Man-Lover

lgtenos
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:30 am
It's a deal-breaker for me.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:38 am
Personally, I do not agree with it. It is wrong to have multiple spouses. And not only at the same time, I disagreeing with divorces. I believe if you get a divorce you simply gave up on a relationship, but as I said that is simply my opinion.
I truly do not like anything that has to do with multiple wives, but I don't want to go on a rant.
The only way I will tolerate it, or not comment on it, is if the family are Mormon's as I would not protest against their religion, I would respect it. No matter how much I truly disagree with it.

The Mormon religion, I have read, teaches that the color of your skin is based on your level of sins, And that if you do good then jesus will turn you white.... I'm going to go ahead and say that while I support these people's right to believe something... I really wish they'd all die of some horrible disease

Pink Slowpoke
Personally, I feel that if those involved can create and maintain a functional relationship where everyone is happy I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be allowed to have a polygamous marriage.

Saying that however, I could never see myself in a polygamous relationship.

If it was made legal could it be reversed (woman having many husbands?)

well yeah, that would be a given, people associate it with the side that favors men and never really associate it with the side that winds up with one woman married a bunch of times  

Dusty-Boy

Dangerous Autobiographer

2,450 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250

Belethiel

Green Smoker

21,300 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 8:52 am
I don't like it because all I see are these men with total power over their wives. They're all almost sheep-like. These kinds of relationships seem to favor men only. It might be okay if the women were allowed to marry more than one man while still married to their original husband (even though I think this is wrong as well, I don't believe you can be truly in love with more than one person), or if they were bisexual, the wives could sleep with each other. It's weird, but if it's all consensual and they treat each other as equals, it might be okay since it won't hurt anybody... I don't know. I have mixed feelings about it, I'm not to judge anyone, really. If there is just one member of the opposite sex involved, then there could be a lot of jealousy. *rambles* I'm middle ground, but I lean more towards "no."

And I don't think polygamous relationships are common enough so we have to change laws. :/ It looks like just a fringe thing at this point. I never met another person who just went up and said, "Hey, I want to marry lots and lots of men or women!" If people want to love and sleep with lots of different people, they could just stay unmarried or in open relationships.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 10:54 am
If plural marriages were to become legal (say, if the prohibition against them was found unconstitutional...), then we'd have to change laws regardless of how common that type of marriage is.

Spousal abuse and controlling husbands are something that exists in normal marriages as well, which I think indicates that the problem is the misogynistic attitude towards women rather than the polygamous marriage.

I could never be in a poly relationship. It's just not for me, at all. I do know several people who are, though, and they're fine. As long as all parties want to be involved in that way, I don't see the issue.

Just the Mormons get a free pass (even though mainstream LDS members do not even practice polygamy), but the other religions and cultures that practice polygamy don't? I mean, it's your opinion and that's fine, but I'm a little confused about your reasoning.

Why is it wrong to have multiple spouses? Again, I have no issue with your belief, I am curious as to why you believe it's wrong.

I'm of the opinion that people don't really take marriage very seriously anymore, and end up divorcing as a result. Do you believe it would be wrong for an abused person to divorce an abusive spouse?  

Taeryyn
Captain

Man-Hungry Ladykiller

Sarah_L_Awesome

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:19 am
Whatever floats your boat. Don't hurt anyone and it's fine, in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:20 am
I will have to get back to you on this topic. I really don't know what to think. If it was to be legal I feel that it would have to go both ways. So far the only thought in my head is that those would be some messy divorces.  

Yoseisame

6,200 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • First step to fame 200

HintOfCholera

Predestined Survivor

11,525 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:30 am

As long as does not involve children and no one is being forced then I don't care

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:34 am
As long as they're legal and consenting adults, I can't be bothered to care.

The lifestyle doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. Too many people to deal with.

Centipedes In Utero

Shameless Streaker

10,900 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100