Split 3: Link fails in Ocarina Of Time
a) A Link To The Past
b) Oracles
c) Link’s Awakening
d) The Legend Of Zelda
e) The Legend Of Zelda II

Source  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:01 pm
i enjoyed the comments after caps lock guy.  

Xilo The Odd

Skaeryll

Dangerous Spotter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:34 pm
I'm assuming the adult branch means that like Link disappeared as an adult so all the s**t went down with the flooding as stuff cause the hero vanished.

Also the Link fails branch does make sense.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:51 pm
I hate that there is a timeline at all.  

Trenn Flashkill
Vice Captain

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:53 pm
Always kind of figured the timeline wouldn't make sense. Wouldn't OoT's child and adult Link timelines be the same timeline? I mean it's not like he becomes a different adult or anything. And if you could have stopped Ganondorf in the past, what was the point of being an adult at all?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:49 pm
Waynebrizzle
Always kind of figured the timeline wouldn't make sense. Wouldn't OoT's child and adult Link timelines be the same timeline? I mean it's not like he becomes a different adult or anything. And if you could have stopped Ganondorf in the past, what was the point of being an adult at all?
im with wayne on this one.

besides theres no timeline cause no one cares to tell you the year in the games.

therefore.

time does not exist in the game as it does for us, for them, it simply flows in circles.

the antagonist forces emerge -> the hero of hyrule encounters the evil forces -> the hero trains -> the hero fights evil -> the epic battle between good and evil -> good prevails -> hero settles down and dies as he fades into history -> the antagonist forces emerge.  

Xilo The Odd

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:46 pm
So where do the CDi games fit in?  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:34 pm
Waynebrizzle
No, he does become a different adult.

Link doesn't come back 7 years after the events of Ocarina of Time to fulfill his role as Adult Link. It's a split of the timeline where Young Link is trapped in the temple of time for 7 years. You have to think of it as two alternate realities.

In one, Link goes to the Temple of Time as a kid, and immediately returns victorious, sent back in time again by Zelda.

In the other, Link appears as an adult after being trapped in the Temple of Time for 7 years, treks all of the dungeons and defeats Ganon, and disappears from history when Zelda sends him back in time.

Of course you have to suspend disbelief about how Ganon would stay defeated after traveling back in time again, but I think that was somewhat explained by the Sacred Realm being outside of regular time and space.  

Nomega

Dapper Dabbler

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:17 pm
Nomega
Waynebrizzle
No, he does become a different adult.

Link doesn't come back 7 years after the events of Ocarina of Time to fulfill his role as Adult Link. It's a split of the timeline where Young Link is trapped in the temple of time for 7 years. You have to think of it as two alternate realities.

In one, Link goes to the Temple of Time as a kid, and immediately returns victorious, sent back in time again by Zelda.

In the other, Link appears as an adult after being trapped in the Temple of Time for 7 years, treks all of the dungeons and defeats Ganon, and disappears from history when Zelda sends him back in time.

Of course you have to suspend disbelief about how Ganon would stay defeated after traveling back in time again, but I think that was somewhat explained by the Sacred Realm being outside of regular time and space.

Suspension of disbelief is a good technique when regarding the Zelda timeline in general, so I'm not going to waste my time complaining about it much. It doesn't make the series any more or less enjoyable for me anyway.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:20 pm
Zephyrkitty
So where do the CDi games fit in?
the sphinctor. no really i almost consider em homebrew.  

Xilo The Odd

Kuzodav

Eloquent Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:29 am
The timeline is dumb.
"WELL, one is adult link, the other is KID link"
sure.... if i cared enough, and wanted to i may be willing to accept it.
wait no, i wouldn't.

but that's not even the dumb part
the dumb part is
WELL IT BRANCHES OFF ANOTHER WAY KUZ WUT IF LINK FAILED?

wat if link failed in any ******** story line
then you'd have to make branches for every ******** game
stupid
this is stupid
besodes, check the source, it came from a reader of the nintendo magazine
ya
official reader source
been subscribed for 6 years now.

dumb
dumb
dumb
dumb  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:34 am
Kuzodav
The timeline is dumb.
wait no, i wouldn't.

the dumb part is

stupid
this is stupid
ya
official reader source

dumb
dumb
dumb
dumb

furthermore
why is ocarina of time where it branches off?
also
you deal with time in alttp
you also deal with time in ooa

WHAT IF LINK JUST WENT BACK AND DIED IN THE OLD DAYS IN Oracle of ages
WHAT IF LINK JUST FAILED IN DA SACRED REALM
WHAT IF LINK STOPPED THE BAD GUY FROM KIDNAPPING ZELDA TO START WITH

the fact that so much is assumed off of 'what if's' is so stupid
i don't understand how 'well this could have happened after the game' is relevant if it didn't happen in the game and is thereby not canon.

so dumb
so dumb
so dumb
sooooooooo  

Kuzodav

Kuzodav

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:34 am
Kuzodav
Kuzodav
The timeline is dumb.
wait no, i wouldn't.

the dumb part is

stupid
this is stupid
ya
official reader source

dumb
dumb
dumb
dumb

furthermore
why is ocarina of time where it branches off?
also
you deal with time in alttp
you also deal with time in ooa

WHAT IF LINK JUST WENT BACK AND DIED IN THE OLD DAYS IN Oracle of ages
WHAT IF LINK JUST FAILED IN DA SACRED REALM
WHAT IF LINK STOPPED THE BAD GUY FROM KIDNAPPING ZELDA TO START WITH

the fact that so much is assumed off of 'what if's' is so stupid
i don't understand how 'well this could have happened after the game' is relevant if it didn't happen in the game and is thereby not canon.

so dumb
so dumb
so dumb
sooooooooo

Majora's Mask is a direct sequel to OoT

what don't you people get about the words 'direct sequel'  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:30 am
I'm willing to accept it branching into two parts from OoT, but three, especially when one is where Link fails, is stupid. And shouldn't the one where Link fails be the one that leads into Windwaker? The Hero of Time rises and defeats Ganon and at the start of Windwaker it says the hero didn't rise at all and Ganon floods the world. How isn't Link's Awakening with the boat sailing games? It's all dumb and I call horseshit.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:36 pm
Meta_Fish
I'm willing to accept it branching into two parts from OoT, but three, especially when one is where Link fails, is stupid. And shouldn't the one where Link fails be the one that leads into Windwaker? The Hero of Time rises and defeats Ganon and at the start of Windwaker it says the hero didn't rise at all and Ganon floods the world. (1) How isn't Link's Awakening with the boat sailing games? (2) It's all dumb and I call horseshit.

1. The WW prologue says that the Hero of Time defeated Ganon once, but didn't appear when Ganon returned.

2. I can't find my copy of the Awakening manual right now so I can't give you the exact quote, but at the beginning it says something about Link going on a journey after "defeating Ganon and saving Hyrule". Link defeats Ganon in WW, but the game also ends with Hyrule being flooded.

As far as the timeline goes, I'm not really worried about it. I don't play the Zelda games for their amazing storylines, so I'm not especially invested in figuring out how they all fit together aside from direct sequels.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff