[Mini-Event!] Tales from the North - OVER

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Here Be Wyverns
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:22 pm
The North had enjoyed a time of relative quiet, the predations of the mysterious shadow were reported less and less, until some thought that maybe the shadow was like the seasons: here for a bit, and then gone. Many flights were thankful: surely now, the worst was over, and they would have time to collect their strength, to recuperate and to prepare for the next season of assault.

They had little more than a day of rest before the attacks began again, harsher than before. How could one shade, however fearsome, terrify such large expanses of territories? Many began to whisper: "Maybe it's not just one fearsome creature. Maybe it's an army." Entire flights began to ponder the idea of immigrating to other areas of the island. Dominance fights grew heated and more frequent as some tried to flee and some tried to grab power in the hopes that this would be enough to fend off the fiend.

However, one wyvern has had enough. He will not stand for this! Against the wishes of her leader, she has struck out on her own. It will seek an end to this menace, whatever the cost. Already zie has been seen flitting across the land, begging, pleading, and fighting, trying to organize like-minded wyvs to zirs cause.*

No one knows how effective this crusade will be, but flights all over the island are abuzz with rumors and stories and most of all: speculation.

What have you heard about this wyvern?

(*Use of alternating pronouns is intentional, if you were wondering)  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:36 pm
RULES and INFO

This is a story telling event! Make up a story or rumor about this new wyvern's exploits. It can be anything, so long as it pertains to the wyvern's or it's mission against the mysterious shadow. It can be written from the wyvern's view point, or from that of your flight.

There is no limit on length or restrictions on tense. Grammar and spelling will not be counted against, but please, make it understandable. Entries will be judged on creativity and entertainment value.

The Event will run from now until Friday the 12 at 8 pm EST.

Three winners will be chosen at the end of the event.

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

Winners will also have the option to have their prize certed on the Rainbow Tag.
User Image

Here Be Wyverns
Crew

Here Be Wyverns
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:57 pm
Sample Entry:

The Edgewater flight was all a flutter with the news that Snakegrass had returned with, after a particularly successful forage outing. "I'm serious," he fluttered, wings and tail twitching nervously. "They said he took down a tawny raptor! On his own!"

Maracuja sniffed, unimpressed. "I bet I could eat him for breakfast," She mumbled, more interested in her own prize, that of a jumbo bean. "He better stay away from my neck of the woods."

The rest of the flight clamored around, chiming in to add their takes on the situation: "I heard she was seen racing the lightning up in the white mountains!"
"... and bellowed so loud, the snow wouldn't fall for days afterwards!"
"... a mane the color of the sun..."
"... hatched from the fruit of a golden aloe!"
"... only survivor of a lost clutch..."
"... bloodthirsty barbarian! And only the monster of the north is a challenge..."

"Right, right!" Maracuja didn't roar, exactly, but the rest of the flight quickly fell silent. "So he's a trouble maker. Good to know. As long as he makes trouble far from here." She punctuated this statement with a glare. "Far, far from here."  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:41 pm
Tales from the North
She’s not anything special. Particularly not as special as the rumors make her out to be – really, taking down an entire Pit Gore? She’d never even seen one of the things! She’s never even been to the Wastes! There’s also that one about demolishing a whole mountain by blowing on it. Sometimes the rumor mill astounds her. And she knows they’re about her because every time she shows up somewhere looking for fed-up wyvs she gets bombarded by questions about her ‘adventures’.

These rumors are heavy on her mind as she’s flitting about, having just been chased off by a much larger wyvern for ‘disturbing my flight, you trouble-making cretin!’ Not the first time she’s gotten that reception on her little quest, and certainly not the last. Even flying, she rolled her eyes and snorted. She’s not the one stealing eggs and terrifying the whole north, thankyouverymuch. The small-mindedness of people astounds her – what’s to say that moving south would stop this menace? What if it just follows them? Her leader wouldn’t listen, and neither would her flight – but others would. Others have, in fact – her new friends? Flight? Recruits? Whatever! What she calls them doesn’t matter, the end result does, which is getting rid of the menace petrifying flights. They’re all out doing what she’s doing: flying around trying to find more wyverns to help.

Not all of the rumors are hearsay, however – she needs some way to convince wyverns to come with her, and she’s never been a cautious girl. There are the stories she tells while entranced wyverns stare at her in awe, the ones that precede her request for help. They’re not nearly fantastical enough compared to rumors, but for her audiences they are magnificent (and isn’t that a wonderful power- to entrance her watchers with her stories?).

She has one she likes to tell above all others, though, about when she had just set out on her own, full of ideals and hope and determination (all of which she still has). A deep breath and a look at her audience, a small smirk on her face, and she begins.

“I’m from the Northwoods, right on the edge of the White Mountains. When I first left my flight, I was heading nowhere in particular, just fired up – I was so angry!” She always left out the part about her argument – no need to give anyone ideas and tick off more leaders. “I flew and flew and by the time I realized where I was I was in the mountains proper, snowy winds all around me. The winds were sharp and cold and biting and all-around unpleasant.” A pause, a wrinkle of her nose, and then a shrug. “Actually, the wind really just sucked.” It usually got a few giggles or a snort here and there.

“I couldn’t see anything, it was so white – but I couldn’t mistake the screech! It was a Silver Raptor, and there I was, all alone! That nasty bird takes down whole flights – but that wasn’t going to stop me from trying to get away!” Her audience’s attention is focused all on her, eyes wide and food forgotten. “He came from above, a swift dive, though this one must have been a bit stupid since he blew his cover with his yell. Anyway, I rolled, wings tucked. I could feel his wingtips graze me. Off I flew, zigging and sagging like a mad wyv! But he was a determined birdy, recovered himself and zipped after me.”

“Now, I may have had a head start, but raptors are some fast suckers, and this bad boy was built for the wintery winds and sent me back and forth like a little leaf. I knew if I just kept on I was going to be bird food. So I took a sharp right – there was a wall of stone in front of me. Not going to lie, I really wanted that birdy to just slam right into it! And he almost did, stopped just a hair from the wall. I was getting tired fast, having been flying for hours before the attack. Flying on and on wasn’t an option.”

“A quick look to the left and then the right didn’t show much, so I winged closer to the rocks. The big nasty was gaining on me, and it was only because he was so big and I so small that he hadn’t clawed me apart yet. I was betting on that – and then I dove! Rushing towards white rock, I smashed into a tiny little hole, and turned around just in time to see sharp claws dig into the crevice!”

“They were scrabbling and reaching, so close to me! But he couldn’t keep his balance with his feet in the rock, and withdrew. You can imagine my happy sigh! I was so relieved, but not stupid enough to leave just yet.” This is where she pauses, audience rapt. A few of the older wyverns always have a frown on their faces but are easily ignored. “And then he was back! This time it was his head and neck he shoved into my hidey-hole, eyes ready for blood. His big ol’ beak was snapping and gnashing, and a lot closer than his claws. Couldn’t this big lug go find another meal!”

“What I did next was a bit stupid, but oh-so-satisfying. I took one look in his mean nasty eyes, and I whapped him one with my tail! He looked a bit shocked – guess he wasn’t used to his food fighting back! I started hitting his eyes with my wings and tail, bam! bam! bam! I got a bunch of hits in, and all his feathers were messed up, a bit of blood running into his eye. He really was stupid, ‘cause it took him a while to leave, screeching in pain! Bet he thought twice the next time he saw a wyv!” A satisfied grin on her face, her eyes wander over her listeners, watching the story sink in. And then she asks her question.

“Now, who’s interested in coming with me to fight the monster?”

Xerianthe

Mewling Fatcat

Astraea Pandora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:09 am
She was urged away from her activities by her flight mates, all abuzz and a twitter about the legendary Wyvern that had made one of his stops in their part of the world.

"Skin the thickness of stones!" chirped one of her friends as they all rushed to where a large crowd of wyvern were gathering.

"Nah nah, he's supposed to be 20 feet across and drinks whole lakes in one gulp!" chimed in another. She rolled her eyes, not particularly caring about the rumors of the "mythical" wyvern that was 50 feet tall and used the ocean as a wading pool.

As they arrived, several other flight mates waved to them and made space for them in the growing tangle of bodies and wings. The chatter was lively, stories and rumors being traded, tension and excitement in the air. She yawned.

"He's coming!" someone called out. All turned as a wyvern came out and into the middle of the group, looking about at all the faces that were looking back at him. There was a pause, as if everyone at once had stopped to look at him, and, as if on cue, all moaned in disapointment.

"He looks like any other wyvern!"

"Aw, he isn't 20 feet long at ALL!"

Her heart fluttered and heat rushed to her cheeks. While her friends bemoaned the losses of their ideals and dreams of the "mythical" Wyvern, she could only think of new dreams. Flying through the air, visiting new places, have a clutch of eggs together. That last part made her giggle softly..and out loud.

"What're you so giddy about?" a friend said with a sour tone. She turned brighter red and decided to pretend she hadn't heard his grumpy question.

The "mythical" Wyvern drew quite the crowd. She was jostled around a bit as some tried to make room for others. All wanted to see the male of legend and hear what he had to say. After a bit more time, the crowd finally settled.

"My friends.." he began in a loud, clear voice. She nearly swooned on the spot. He was so eloquent when he spoke! A thump from one of her friends on her wing reminded her that she needed to be listening not trying to plot how to fly her way into his heart.

He spoke of the shadowed beast that was plaguing the territories. Many in the crowd murmured softly as he spoke. They'd heard of the fierce attacks and had been concerned. She shuttered, she was hoping this scary creature that the "mythical" wyvern spoke about would stay far away from there.

Then he spoke of the plan he'd formulated, about how he wanted to fight back. Much the murmuring grew louder. Some agreeing with him, others trying to talk those who agreed out of it. Several of the elders looked upset, one of them saying he didn't want a bunch of their young out on suicidal missions. The crowd began to turn.

Her heart raced. She wanted to go out there and defend him! But defend him how? And with what? As the crowd around him grew a little louder and restless, the male remained calm and even as no one seemed to want to join him, his expression stayed hopeful.

"I will help you.." she heard herself saying.

She blinked and was suddenly aware of how quiet it was. The crowd of wyvern had gone dead silent, several were turned to look at her. She gulped and moved forward to the male and repeated her statement. "I will help you..."

Her flight mates suddenly exploded in rush of sound, telling her not to go, asking her to come back. Seconds later most of the crowd joined in, though several other loud voices told the others to let her do as she pleased or encouraged her, shouted praise for her bravery.

As close as she was to him now, her heart raced faster. But it was not only his handsome features that made her heart hammer in her chest. She'd been moved by his story, his words, his pleas. She wanted to help, even if she might never see her flight mates again.

"Thank you.." he said quietly.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:47 am
Chatter. Teardust Elegy hated chatter. He loathed it, even - detested it with every fibre of his being. Chatter was aimless, chatter distracted from work - chatter was inefficient, and there was nothing worse than inefficiency. And yet, as he worked to lodge his little talons firmly into the melon squash he was attempting to ferry home, the skies about him were filled with nothing but inane chatter about this mysterious new wyvern. It had been like this all day - 'have you heard's, 'and last night's; his sharp ears could not avoid picking up every last syllable, and it was all driving. him. insane.

Ahah - finally, the squash was secure; now he could return to blessed peace. Most unfortunately, not five wings later, a boisterous wyvern popped up mid-air to inquire, "Did you hear -" In the heat of the moment, the squash was put to a much more violent use than mere consumption.

The sun had long, long, set by the time Tear arrived back at the cavern, flinging a mangled root as far as his seething rage could manage. "Yes," he hissed through gritted teeth at his curious flight, "I have heard about the new wyvern. I do know what he did last night. So don't you start to tell me. Do not speak a word of him. Not one word.

Because I know it - all. I know he is fast. I know he is strong. I know he is 'so incredibly awesome.' I know he is jet black - no, I know. I know he's snow white. I know he's black and white at the same time and has burning eyes of flame. I know he sports a constellation of stars across his smoky wings, that when transcribed upside down and back to front reads 'I am the chosen one' in the ancient lost language of our giant ancestors.

I know last week he killed ten raptors within the hour just for looking at him funny from fifty feet away. I know at night he rides a yeth hound he tamed in his youth with nothing but a stern tap on the rump and a single command. I know I know that each day he has been confronting the shadow with the wit and bravery of a million warrior sages, taking first the tip of a horn, then the tip of a tail and that's why he needs help, as it is too big for him to take all bits at once but if he has helping talons he will fight him heads on and tear him to shreds that each may wrench a piece till the threat is no more.

I know, I know, I know - I know he's the best, I know he's every female wyvern's dream, I know he's the greatest thing since carved rapture fruit, and I know that if I ever see him in the flesh, so help me, I will choke him to death with my bare claws right before I gut myself to never have to hear of him again."

Silence descended as he finally finished his spiel, a strange, tense silence - strange enough for him to slowly realise as he swept his gaze across the stunned visages of his wingmates that…their eyes were not exactly fixed upon him but…upon some point past his shoulder…

"Uh," Nova finally said, "okay. Then, just - don't look behind you."

Jun D

Shoujo Shounen

WyvernScale
Captain

Manly Wyvern

19,525 Points
  • Nerd 50
  • Hotblooded Hero 50
  • Comrades in Arms 150
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:16 pm
Closed for entries!  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:38 pm
Thank you all for participating!

Our first place and first pick goes to: Xerianthe! This tale is wonderful. I love that it covered the good and bad aspects of the wyvern's crusade. But I really adored the tale she told of her fight against the silver raptor, and also how she told it, playing to her audience at parts.

Second: Jun D! Being online, people often throw around the term LOL a lot, but in this case, it was true. I really did laugh out loud. I giggled at the bit with the melon and outright laughed at Tear's oath of violence. And then I lost it again at "Don't look behind you." A classic set up, but such good payoff.

Third: Astraea Pandora! This story was very sweet, and a bit melancholy. Finding out the mythical wyv is just a regular old wyv and falling in love with him for all that's he's not quite as unique as the rumors make him out to be made me go Awh! X3 And then being the sole voice of support, such a devoted little wyv!

Please post in this thread which wyv you're taking. Once you've got your wyv, cert requests go here.

Again, thanks for participating!  

Here Be Wyverns
Crew

Astraea Pandora

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:52 pm
grats xeri and jun =D -waits patiently for the squishy that will end up being her squishy-  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:24 pm
Ohyay! I got first xD I say congrats to us all, because for once, EVERYONE'S A WINNER! xD
I am picking this baby~ (and thanking Astra for the push)
User Image

Your turn Jun!  

Xerianthe

Mewling Fatcat

Jun D

Shoujo Shounen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:06 am
Aww, Wyv, and you gave us all such nice reviews too! ;A; Thank you so much for the chance to get such lovely squishies, I'm glad my entry was enjoyable, at least! XD Congrats, guys!

They're both gorgeous, but since I just got the stripe pattern on 3 with my latest wyv, I would love to go with 2:

User Image

Thanks a ton, I'll toss it into the certing thread right off!  
Old Events

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games