Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Back to Guilds

Our goal is to spread awareness of, lessen unwarranted hatred of, and create a safe haven for the LGBTQ community and their allies. 

Tags: Gay Straight Alliance, LGBT, homosexual, straight, transgender 

Reply The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance
If you live in a place where gay marriage is illeagal... Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

--Untoten Kase--

Extreme Streaker

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:04 pm
Don't judge me.
Just love me.
I'm not a criminal, I'm innocent
So come and set me!

Like California... (what sucks is, I live there.. -.-) I dunno if this is really possible, i'm only 17... i don't know how these things really work... >_>

Anyway, if you really want to get married to a person of the same gender, and it's illegal in your area, just go to a place where it IS legal, get married, and either go back, or stay... >_> i think it'll work :]

Just a thought <_<

I choose ecstasy.
And music's my religion.
Magic is my kingdom
And the dance floor is my heaven.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:13 pm
I've been thinking this too. But it seems like too much trouble to go through. There should be gay marriage EVERYWHERE. I dunno. :T  

noigel

Dapper Sentai

9,700 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Generous 100

1ThousandCranes

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:20 pm
If you move back, they won't recognize your marriage anyway so you might as well stay in a place that does.

That being said, I too think it should be legal everywhere.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:54 pm
It should be legal everywhere. It cosntantly baffles me how stupid and primative this coutnry and society remains.

The being said, if you were to live in, say, Rhode Island, where gay Marriage is not legalized, but go to Mass. where it is, the go home, they wouldn't recognize the marriage. But if you stay in Mass., they will.  

Denkou Soshiatae

PeachPunk

Liberal Loiterer

10,550 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:53 pm
Honestly, I think the whole fuss over gay marriage is stupid. Having people vote on ballads and say "Should we (il)legalize gay marriage?" is like saying "Should we ban French kissing?" It's something just between a couple, not the entire government. I live in Massachusetts so it's legal. And if one of my friends were marrying a person of the same sex and everyone was too homophobic/biphobic to help with the wedding, I would help! biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:35 pm
1ThousandCranes
If you move back, they won't recognize your marriage anyway so you might as well stay in a place that does.

That being said, I too think it should be legal everywhere.

I think they will actually have to acknowledge your marriage. Because marriage is more of a federal institution, all states have to recognize it. There may be different treatments on the couple depending on the state, but it should be recognized.

Correct me if I'm wrong. sweatdrop

I think that civil unions don't have to be acknowledged in all states though because it's more of a state thing. One of the complaints about them is that if your state doesn't acknowledge civil unions, you have to go to a state that does in order to leave the union.

It's been a while since I've "studied" this so I could be wrong in all honesty.  

Visual Brian

6,150 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Friendly 100

--Untoten Kase--

Extreme Streaker

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:29 pm
Don't judge me.
Just love me.
So come and set me free!

This is all true.. but like i said; I'm only 17.. i have no idea how these things work xD

Buut, I think maybe if you do move back, all you need is the marriage contract or proof of marriage, and that might be enough.. I don't know... i have to ask my dads how they managed to get married D:

I choose ecstasy.
And music's my religion.
Magic is my kingdom

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:41 pm
Wow. Didnt know it was illegal in California.
That suprises me.
No offence, thought that most of America was a lot better than that... :I  

iLegoBlock

Wheezing Sex Symbol

6,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Pie Enabler 100

Kanu22

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:51 pm
Just a side note... It's not so much that it's illegal. It's just that, in many states, non-heterosexual marriages aren't recognized. To be illegal implies that if one were in a non-heterosexual relationship, then they would be ticketed, or sent to jail.

[Side note to my side note: I'm not trying to seem like a b***h here, and I'm sorry if I do. It's just a knee-jerk reaction as a debator, and having very English studious background.]  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:56 pm
--Untoten Kase--
Don't judge me.
Just love me.
So come and set me!

Like California... (what sucks is, I live there.. -.-) I dunno if this is really possible, i'm only 17... i don't know how these things really work... >_>

Anyway, if you really want to get married to a person of the same gender, and it's illegal in your area, just go to a place where it IS legal, get married, and either go back, or stay... >_> i think it'll work :]

Just a thought <_<

I choose ecstasy.
And music's my religion.
Magic is my kingdom

Wasn't prop 8 found unconstitutional and repealed, though?  

Shilberu Erikku

1,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200

Atrum_Anima

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:05 pm
According to this, which may be outdated, Utah and New York recognize same-sex spouses from states where it is legal.  
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:22 pm
I live in San Francisco, same-sex marriage was legal for a while. Later on it got banned. My above post is correct.  

DucktapeMe

OtherworldlyAlchemy

Married Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:31 pm
It is illegal now in CA but what about Michigan its illegal there and even when you do get married in another state Michigan doesn't reconize the marriage thats Lame the US needs to be supportive of the gay community and let them have the same rights as everyone else.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:51 pm
to be honest, i don't understand this whole thing. why people decide we shouldn't get married is stupid because we're practically voicless in that debate. seriously what can we do? the homophobic community makes our choices for us, it's like we're all little kids. so i guess the way it goes in the states is "the gouvernment tells you that you can't do something... you can't" depends on the place i guess  

Sarah_L_Awesome

5,350 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • First step to fame 200

Kanu22

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 pm
Sarah_L_Awesome
to be honest, i don't understand this whole thing. why people decide we shouldn't get married is stupid because we're practically voicless in that debate. seriously what can we do? the homophobic community makes our choices for us, it's like we're all little kids. so i guess the way it goes in the states is "the gouvernment tells you that you can't do something... you can't" depends on the place i guess

To play devils advocate here, it's not just a homophobic community. You're taking the foundations for which somthing has been set on for several hundred years, and trying to shift it. We won't get what we want by just asking and expecting it to change. It doesn't work that way.

Nothing worth anything in this world is recived without a fight of some kind. The right to marry in this case, is no acception. compare it to any other fight the nation has had: African American rights, Native American Rights, Women's rights. They all took a course of at least a hundred years to accomplish what they set out to do. When you look at our movement, it only started back in about the sixties (in this case I'm using this marker due to the protesting that came out full force during LBJ's presidency and the Vietnam era).  
The Gaian Gay-Straight Alliance

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff