Kirby's Epic Yarn Wasn't Originally a Kirby Game Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Waynebrizzle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:54 am
http://wii.ign.com/articles/112/1126374p1.html

Also, for the fiftieth time, Sakurai did NOT work on this game.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:06 pm
Huh. That's pretty neat. I like how they still have Fluff, though.
Hopefully people don't complain that this isn't a real Kirby now crying I guess it isn't... More Kirby plz.  

Paper Sonic

Hilarious Lunatic

Cosair

Conversationalist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:31 pm
Pretty damn sure they just slapped 'Kirby' on the title so it could sell truckloads.
Give me a new, interesting, original IP Nintendo.
D:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:42 pm
Cosplay Tokoro
Pretty damn sure they just slapped 'Kirby' on the title so it could sell truckloads.
Give me a new, interesting, original IP Nintendo.
D:

It's a pretty new game besides the fact that a familiar character stars in it. Kirby has none of his trademark abilities, and completely new ones replacing them.  

Waynebrizzle

Hobo Scruffy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:50 pm
I don't think I would consider buying it if it wasn't a Kirby game. Just saying.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:54 pm
Hobo Scruffy
I don't think I would consider buying it if it wasn't a Kirby game. Just saying.

Probably the opposite for me, until I saw that they were finally mixing things up. It's not really surprising the game started out as something else.  

Waynebrizzle

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:56 am
If it wasn't Kirby it would just be something else as easily replaced. The yarn thing works for one game but Icna't see it sustaining itself forever.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:21 am
Meta_Fish
If it wasn't Kirby it would just be something else as easily replaced. The yarn thing works for one game but Icna't see it sustaining itself forever.

I can see them doing sequels. Just look at Paper Mario.  

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

Mukuchina Kurasu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:18 am
Wow, that's surprising. Especially considering that old kirby NES comercial about Yarn... Maybe they looked back at that and noticed the resemblance, and that's why they changed it.

But what I really don't understand, is how did putting Kirby in it, solve their problems?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:45 am
wow

so that's what happened eek  

I Dizzy-Kun I

Meta_Fish
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:22 pm
The Eleventh AK
Meta_Fish

Paper Mario is Mario taken and put into an RPG. If anything, it's a continuation of the Mario RPG series, with a paper element. I don't think they'll do yarn again just because KEY, while fun, looks like it's another Kirby game, with just a new skin. It's a platformer, and after they're done with it, they'll move on to try to innovate Kirby in some new way.

Bongardo: IP recognition. People will go "Oh, Kirby, I remember him!" and buy the game. Not, "Oh, Prince Fluff! He looks so awesome!"  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:49 pm
Meta_Fish
The Eleventh AK
Meta_Fish

Bongardo: IP recognition. People will go "Oh, Kirby, I remember him!" and buy the game. Not, "Oh, Prince Fluff! He looks so awesome!"
But they said the controls didn't work well untill they put Kirby in it. And it wasn't just because they didn't care and knew it would sell better because of Kirby, because this got lots of awesome reviews.  

Mukuchina Kurasu

alsoknownasak

Clean Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:17 pm
Meta_Fish
The Eleventh AK
Meta_Fish

Paper Mario is Mario taken and put into an RPG. If anything, it's a continuation of the Mario RPG series, with a paper element. I don't think they'll do yarn again just because KEY, while fun, looks like it's another Kirby game, with just a new skin. It's a platformer, and after they're done with it, they'll move on to try to innovate Kirby in some new way.

I'm not seein' how Paper Mario being an RPG makes any difference with what I said. It's the same idea, Mario with a crazy unique art-style. Now I'm not saying they WILL make sequels, I'm just saying I really wouldn't be too shocked if they did. Would you, Fish? Would you be shocked if they announced a sequel? You some kinda f*****t or somethin?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:57 pm
Bongardo
But they said the controls didn't work well untill they put Kirby in it. And it wasn't just because they didn't care and knew it would sell better because of Kirby, because this got lots of awesome reviews.
Probably because before that it was developed by Good Feel or whatever, and Nintendo hadn't dipped their hands into it?

The Eleventh AK
I'm not seein' how Paper Mario being an RPG makes any difference with what I said. It's the same idea, Mario with a crazy unique art-style. Now I'm not saying they WILL make sequels, I'm just saying I really wouldn't be too shocked if they did. Would you, Fish? Would you be shocked if they announced a sequel? You some kinda f*****t or somethin?
I'm saying that it seems a little less likely because Paper Mario games retain their own separate gamestyle apart from the "real" Mario games. They're RPGs, whereas Mario is a platformer. Epic Yarn is a Kirby game already, it doesn't have anything to really differentiate itself from other Kirby games, other than, I suppose, the fact that Kirby doesn't get powers. It's still a side-scrolling platformer like the other handfuls of Kirby games have been before it, so I don't see why they would make a sequel to this one.

I'd imagine they've scrounged for fabrics and ideas to use with the whole fabric-shop aesthetic; I just don't see them coming out with another one and still being able to wow anyone. "Oh hey, it's another Kirby Yarn game." I just don't think people would care the second time.

Each Kirby game seems to have one "thing" about it to differentiate itself from the myriad of others. He's a ball and you direct him with a stylus. He's a golf ball and you play golf. It's a huge world with a mirror version to it. Amazing co-op play. It looks like it's made out of fabric.

With Paper Mario they can still do a lot of other things with the RPG elements and the paper aesthetic makes things look simple and charming while they do it. Epic Yarn is banking on its yarn aesthetic, it's not taking a backseat.

They could make another though, yeah.  

Meta_Fish
Captain

Seruni

Friendly Friend

5,850 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:17 am
Well, this explains a lot. Just wish they finished developing that kirby game they were making for GameCube. The fact it could go 4 players with the Super Star Partner System and some added features was epic :'D. Now, if it was just a prank or something I'll be upset I didn't realize it by now. xD But eh, Haven't seen the screen shots or heard news about it since I was a freshman in HS so meh. Excuse me for talking a pointless storm. It tends to happen when I talk. :'D;;  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff