User ImageUser Image

Tonight, she was awake. Her wide blue eyes reflected the shining crescent of moonlight as she stared up at the stars scattered through the heavens. It was no new nightmare that woke her, flanks heaving and eyes wild, not a new one. Just the old, the same old nightmare. Sometimes Kisun thought she’d do better to just stay with Keena all the time, her much larger friend a safe place to curl up against, being warmed and sheltered by the lioness’ pale body.

Still, it was such a lovely night, the faint wisps of cloud doing little to obscure the bright pinpoints of light scattered through the wide open skies. With so few trees around, there were no leafy branches to block out the night either. Just an endless expanse of stars in the rich velvety darkness of the sky. Keena would have loved to see it. Perhaps her friend could see it. Shaking herself vigorously, no longer desiring sleep in any form, the hare looked about. She needed something to do, something to distract herself with. Something, or someone.

Sukanya was walking in the dark. It would have disturbed most creatures, since she could see almost nothing, except the sky and faint shadows of things she needed to steer clear of. She was used to it now, but it was a strange habit to have. She didn't like people, or rather, talking to people. She sighed to herself and began to hum, off tune and out of balance. She was not a musical soul, but at least the humming filled the silence of the night.

She could hear birds in the distance, still awake or going to sleep, she dind't know, but the sound was a comforting noise.

She wasn't lonely, she told herself, walking through the darkness. She was used to this kind of aloneness, but still, the silence was awfully deafening.

Kisun wandered around some, hopping lightly to the side to nibble halfheartedly at a leaf, looking around to sniff at a flower. She wasn’t really interested in anything but the bloodied memory masquerading as a nightmare. Playing by herself really wasn’t going to cut it, and at this rate she’d be wallowing in depression again before she could do anything about it! It wasn’t like she’d asked for this, wasn’t like she didn’t regret her failings, her horrible mistake. She’d never repeat it, not ever!

Suddenly her long black ears flicked, catching a faint sound. Humming. Someone was nearby! Her eyes suddenly brightening with eagerness, Kisun twisted around herself, rising onto her hind legs with her dainty white paws dangling at her chest for a moment as she tried to catch sight of the musical creature. But no one was in veiw.

Frowning, she dropped to all fours, tipping her head and listening intently. Someone was there, someone had to be there…they were…this way…

Resolute, the little hare moved somewhat cautiously towards the noise. She didn’t think she wanted to actually be eaten, it was something she’d regret later she was sure. But she had to see who it was…maybe it might be a friend…

”Hello?”

Sukanya startled when she heard a noise, just a creaking of a branch as someone stepped on it, or the rustling of grass beneath feet, but it was enough to make her pause in her movements, to find out if it was her that made the noise or if it was someone else. When the rustling continued, and she could feel no wind, she knew there had to be someone else there.
She gasped when a voice came out, and greeted her. How...odd. So very odd. Usually, people who wanted to attack you did not greet you first. At least, not in her experience, however limited it was.

“H-hello?” She stammered back, her voice small and as if she was trying hard to not be heard by whoever had spoken to her.

Ahah. So there was someone there! Kisun grinned. The voice that had responded was nervous, so whoever she was talking to was probably not about to try eating her. That was a good start, oh yes. Making friends was much easier without that misunderstanding to overcome first.

"Oh, good, I couldn't see but I thought I heard someone. I wanted to see who you were, except I can't see you..." the hare giggled, wriggling like a cub who wanted to play. Her bright blue eyes were still darting around the inky blackness as though she might see the owner of the voice if she stared long and hard enough. So far it wasn't working, but one never knew...given time it still just might!

When no one jumped out of the darkness to attack her, Sukanya began to relax slightly. Obviously, whoever this was did not want to attack her, and, squint as she could, the leopardess could not see who was speaking to her, though the voice sounded small. A cub? Oh, she hoped not. Sukanya was not good around cubs, they were too small. She always felt like she was going to squish them. She looked nervous and flicked her tail behind her, hoping that this wasn't a cub.

“M-my coat is very dark,” she explained, her voice still quiet. “I...I travel at night because it's hard to see me, but I can't see you either.” She was afraid to move now. What if it was a cub and she stepped on them by walking around? Oh no.

"...Oh." was all Kisun had to say in reply to her explanation. That made a whole lot of sense. It didn't stop her trying to see, though it was even less likely than she'd thought a few moments before. But trying wasn't hurting anything...it'd be nice to see who she was talking to. She sounded bigger.

"My fur is mostly dark too," she explained. "I guess night time makes it hard to see both of us..." The hare giggled. What a fun idea for a game...playing hide-and-seek in the dark... she'd need to see if someone wanted to play. Maybe Keena would! Or Star! Except they were pale and might be too easy to see...hmm.

“This is very odd,” Sukanya mused out loud, her tail coiling around her legs protectively. “I've never spoken to someone I couldn't see before.” She tilted her head to the side, peering into the darkness. Usually good at spotting things in the dark, she couldn't spy a single shadow out of place, likely because she was looking for a cub shape, not a bunny.

“Are you out here alone?” She asked, the thought occuring to her. Oh my! What if the cub was lost? Sukanya had a horrid sense of direction, unfortunately. She would be of no help. “Where is your mother?”

Kisun giggled happily. "Neither have I! It's kind of fun imagining what you look like!" Pretty black fur, she knew that much. A female with soft black fur...hm. Not a hare or a jackal or a bird. Probably not a wild dog. Maybe a feline. A lioness? Cheetah? Something bigger than her, but not bigger than Keena...so probably not a lioness. Hm.

"Alone? Well, yeah. And my mom forgot about me ages ago..." Kisun shrugged, though the dark-furred stranger couldn't see her. "I can look after myself okay," she added, she'd managed fine on her own for a while now. "Company is nice though. I like making new friends to play with!"

Sukanya looked amused at the childish tone of her companion, imaginging a sweet looking, very small it sounded, cub. Feline, of course. She hadn't met many canines, so she didn't think it would be a dog. It sounded too...happy. Which was an odd thing to think, she realised. “I'm not very imaginative though,” she pointed out, with a soft sigh. Creative things were not Sukanya's style.

She looked horrified, though her companion could not see it, at her next statement though. “Oh! That's horrible. Isn't it awefully dangerous for you to be out on your own?” She worried, already imaginging all the horrible things that could happen to a young cub out on their own. Horrible! Simply horrible!

"Oh. Well, I'm mostly black, with a little brown. And my paws are white," she explained when the other said she wasn't very good at imagining. "Also, my name's Kisun, if it helps.". Names would be easier to talk to anyway. Even if they wouldn't tell what she looked like.

"It's a little dangerous sometimes I guess..." Kisun decided, "But I'm fine really. A little lonely sometimes, but sometimes I'm with Keena so it's fine. And I meet lots and lots of cubs to play with out here!" Which was simply one of the best things ever!

Besides, she didn't wish to talk about mothers. It hurt too much to think of how she'd failed her little ones.

Sukanya tried to imagine the cub she was describing, and even in her poorly imagined mind, she decided she would be adorable. “You sound very cute,” she smiled to herself. “I am Sukanya...I'm black, with bright blue paws and tail.” She flicked her tail a little. “Not much other markings. Very boring coat.” She tilted her head to the side and smiled, a little self depreciating.

She was glad that this creature had someone to spend time iwht. She would hate to hear she was all alone! “That sounds like marvelous fun. Is...Keena your adoptive carer?” She asked, tried to phrase it delicately, in case her mother was a sore point for her. Unfortunately, she was very tactful, so the sentence came out awkwardly.

"Blue sounds pretty," Kisun said thoughfully, adding a few pretty patterns to the black-furred mystery voice. She was so sweet sounding, like a mother almost herself. Perhaps she was, or had been. Sukanya seemed like a nice person indeed, very much like Keena, Kisun supposed. They'd have gotten on well.

"My adoptive..." she giggled, she couldn't help it. "I think Keena would adopt the world if it'd let her! She's very kind, just wants to help people. I think you'd like her," the hare added. A new friend was always good. She loved making new friends, and so did Keena.

"I bet Star would like meeting you too," Kisun added, remembering the little white lioness Keena actually had managed to adopt.

Sukanya was pleased to hear that she had someone looking out for her. She blinked at the name 'Star'. “Who is Star?” She asked, osudning confused but she began to shift nervously. There was wind picking up and rustling trees and grass. She was worried now. It was too noisy, too dark. She was shifting nervously on her feet.

Too loud. She disliked silence. Too much silence was just as bad as too much noise! Oh, goodness. She shuddered. “I...think I need to go now,” she whispered suddenly. “I'm sorry. It's too...too loud.” She sounded crazy. The wind was barely rustling trees, but it was too loud already.

"Star is a little white lioness," Kisun explained. "Keena and me adopted her 'cause she lost her family.". They all had, it seemed. Odd. Lucky chance the three of them coming together like that.

"Loud?" she repeated, confused. "Well...out here it can be windy. But there's a tree over there that fell down funny, it's cozy under it 'cause there's a rock. And the wind doesn't blow on you much. It's this way," she announced, taking a few hops back towards where she'd been sleeping. Keena had fit in there once, there should be room enough for Sukanya to fit. "Follow my voice. Like that call-back game!" she giggled, happy to lead the way for her new friend. No matter what she looked like in the morning.

Sukanya hesitated. She disliked company, but this group...sounded nice. They had all seemed to be alone, but had found each other. Perhaps they wouldn't be too loud and horrible. She hoped they wouldn't be horrible. She hated horrible people.

She followed towards the voice, towards the fallen tree. It was a scary thought, walking towards the cub's voice, but ducking under the branch, she curled up as small as she could. The wind was quietening, and she smiled. Quiet. Soon, it was too quiet, and she began to hum softly to herself, feeling safe.

Kisun led the way eagerly, checking to make sure the other was following several times. It was like the game, only backwards. She didn't want to lose Sukanya in the dark!

"Here," she said finally. "Watch your head," she added, just in case the other was taller than she'd thought. Once she'd heard and felt Sukanya pass her and settle down, she hopped in herself, curling up against her new friend. Nightmares didn't come when she had big company. "Goodnight," the hare yawned, snuggling down to sleep. Tomorrow she'd bring Sukanya to Kisun. She seemed lonely too.

FIN