Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply ::Gamer Chicks::
Are buying strategy guides really worth it? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are they worth buying?
  yes
  no
View Results

LadyTwilyte

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:03 pm
I'd like to know if they're really worth paying the money for them. Couldn't you just get the game info you need for free on the Internet or am I just missing something here?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:44 pm
http://guides.ign.com/index/guides.html

^every single guide to every single game...

But personally I think guides take away a games whole purpose of fun and adventure away from the gamer.  

Dynasty100

LadyTwilyte

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:47 pm
Dynasty100

But personally I think guides take away a games whole purpose of fun and adventure away from the gamer.

I think so too, unless i can't get past an impossible level...  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:56 pm
LadyTwilyte
Dynasty100

LOL! TRUE THAT! Like this one time in Metal Arms: Glitch In The System. I ran around one level for at least 3 hours looking for what to do and I couldnt find it...Had to use a guide on that one sad But your very right on having to use it on hard prts you have no clue oin how to beat or get past in games >.

Dynasty100

The Panda Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:35 pm
I personally like strategy guides. A lot of times people on the web are wrong, and unless you print the strategy guide, which uses a lot of ink, you have to either copy the info by hand, memorize it, or have your system in the vecinity. Also, if you like to be a perfectionist like me, guides can show you how to get to secret areas you didn't know existed,items you can't find or don't know about, and other helpful things. I'm not one of those people who goes by the book, though. I just use it to help me. It's more fun exploring on your own! ninja  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:36 pm
Oh my goodness. When I was younger I always used stratagy guides . . . until I realized that I could beat the bad guys better than the guide. Like in Kingdom Hearts, I tried for the longest time to beat this one guy following the stratagy guide instructions to no prevail. Did it the first time with my own stratagy and I beat the boss . . . easily.  

SamySchweiz

The Panda Alchemist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:43 pm
SmilingBomb
Oh my goodness. When I was younger I always used stratagy guides . . . until I realized that I could beat the bad guys better than the guide. Like in Kingdom Hearts, I tried for the longest time to beat this one guy following the stratagy guide instructions to no prevail. Did it the first time with my own stratagy and I beat the boss . . . easily.

You should never listen to strategy guides for boss battles. They never work. My friend always has way better strategies. One time, the guide said to not use a certain character, and my friend said to and I won that battle in about 7 minutes.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:14 pm
I buy them for the art, and only use them after I beat the game on my own first.  

Celes
Captain

Friendly Fairy

Mystery Wolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:26 pm
Heres how I see it: If you have fun with the game without a guide then don't get it. If you need a guide then use it. Ask someone else before actually doing anything though...I've fought hard boss battles and fights without a guide. The only time I used one was in Ocarina or time(sp?) Kinda like using cheats but this is about guides sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:39 pm
Dynasty100
LadyTwilyte
Dynasty100

LOL! TRUE THAT! Like this one time in Metal Arms: Glitch In The System. I ran around one level for at least 3 hours looking for what to do and I couldnt find it...Had to use a guide on that one sad But your very right on having to use it on hard prts you have no clue oin how to beat or get past in games >.

Yeah I prefer/try not to use them but sometimes it just gets soo frustrating...but you don't want to give up ninja

My little brother likes to buy them because he thinks they're fun to read xd  

Darth Moe

Ronin_Galiver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:05 pm
I never look at guides or instructions unless I'm stuck beyond my temper. When it gets to the point where I'm about to throw the controller at the tv, I go and get on the computer and look up what I need to know. That, or I go somewhere quiet (a.k.a. almost three feet away from where I play games rofl ) and breath for a little. Usually I go back and try something new and in five minutes, to a week before possibly giving up (never been stuck for a week), and I always get past whatever obstacle it happens to be.

Not that I haven't looked up my fair share of secret pass locations! wink  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:10 pm
i have one strategy guide, but that's only cause it came with the game and system. i looked at it when i was stuck but that's really it. you lose the joy and fun and suspense of playing a game, knowing what's around the corner. Strategy guides are good, but using them throughout a whole game ish killing the game itself.  

Minamino Teku

5,200 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • First step to fame 200

Niarah Z`Ress

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:17 am
If I'm ABSOLUTELY stuck, I'll keep comming back to it, or ask a friend who's played the game. Then, if I still can't get past the point, I'll look online on gamefaqs.com, but I won't buy a book that leads me step-by-step through a game, what's the point of even playing like that?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:28 pm
I'm very weak and tend to miss ginormous important things so I do rely on my strategy guides. I like them for the art too.  

KimchiCake

Ronin_Galiver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:30 pm
Ebony Bubbles
I'm very weak and tend to miss ginormous important things so I do rely on my strategy guides. I like them for the art too.
True. The art is usually pretty good.  
::Gamer Chicks::

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces