Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Instead of ... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:08 am
trying to prove Christians and other religious people wrong ... why don't we learn to be nice and represent the nonreligious people better?  
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:04 pm
I try to do just that. Most people think because I lack a belief in a higher power that I'm incapable of doing anything good for society. Then it normally turns in to an argument. sad  

migoto-kami

Greedy Genius

5,050 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Pallas Athea

6,600 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:54 am
I definitely do that. Really, I don't go into religion unless it somehow comes up. I'm not about to pretend I'm not atheist, but I'm not looking to convert people. I'm totally down with a conversation if the other person is, though.

But, I do have some understanding for people who love to pick fights. You can get a powerful feeling of superiority... But the thing is, it's a shitty reason to start arguments. We say it's shitty when a Christian picks an argument with us and thinks we're just confused children and pities us. Well, it's just as bad when we do it.  
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:53 pm
I completely agree. We want religious people to try to understand us, but we can't expect them to do that if we ourselves don't attempt to understand them. Some religious people believe that atheists are bad people, and if we start a fight over that, we are only proving them right.

We should show them that we aren't evil by being caring and trying to understand them.  

Moonlight Wolf Pack

5,200 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

Anavis

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 10:39 am
This is why I really like "humanism" as a label; pretty much, what it says is that we just want to make the world a better place for the people in it, and you absolutely can be good without a god!  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:03 pm
I live in Texas, all the arguments I have with Christians are basically self-defense. People hear the word "atheist" and automatically think "godless and soulless heathen who hates all Christians".  

XcoldhandsX

6,900 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Invisibility 100

Falhalterra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:11 am
I actually am such good friends with a lot of religious people that they never usually suspect I am an atheist.

But I'm always nice otherwise...just don't get into a heated argument with me. That's the area that is my area and all my friends know that.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:41 am
I'm not out there starting arguments or anything and I have many friends religious in various degrees, but if the debate is started I will happily participate. I don't tend to broach the subject, but I won't shy away from it once it's been brought into the conversation.  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:52 pm
Anavis
This is why I really like "humanism" as a label; pretty much, what it says is that we just want to make the world a better place for the people in it, and you absolutely can be good without a god!

Although I'm an atheist (who has to act like he's a Christian when he's at church) I do sometimes label myself as a secular humanist. I'm all about humanism. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:02 pm
I wasn't aware I was going around preaching the gospel of Atheism, I guess I'll stop and just act like I would normally. Oh wait...  

Revolutionary Justice

4,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Statustician 100

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:46 pm
I don't think that we should preach Atheism. We just have to tolerate other people.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:27 pm
LimeIzMyFaveColor
I don't think that we should preach Atheism. We just have to tolerate other people.

Why shouldn't atheism be preached? You're telling me we have Christians in the world who would have Israel in a perpetual state of war because they think it will bring the end-times closer and you think Atheists should just live to "tolerate other people". I'm not saying we should try and force people to be atheist, but there is definitely dangerous elements in religions worldwide which the atheist community can not just sit idly by and try to tolerate and expect things to just deal themselves out, especially when these religious ideals reach huge amounts of people.  

Revolutionary Justice

4,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Contributor 150
  • Statustician 100

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:41 pm
LimeIzMyFaveColor

I think you don't have a full understanding of the word 'preach.' The definition in part, from Merriam-Webster Online, is:

intransitive verb
2 : to urge acceptance or abandonment of an idea or course of action

transitive verb
2 : to advocate earnestly
3 : to deliver (as a sermon) publicly

(full definition here)

Under such definitions, why should we not preach atheism? Considering the possible dangers of religiosity, particularly fundamentalism, why should we not express our own opinion of religion?

There's a difference between preaching and proselytizing, which I suspect is more what you were thinking of. While preaching is more of advocating, voicing one's opinion in hopes of changing the minds of others, proselytizing is more along the lines of inducing conversion. It has a similar meaning but is more forceful and is solely aimed at converting and recruiting, which I don't think atheists for the most part would consider their goal.

When I share my knowledge and opinions, it is not for the sole purpose of getting my audience to join my team, so to speak, but rather to help them understand the subject from another perspective and/or to question a belief they may hold and/or to supply them with knowledge they may be lacking or misunderstanding on the subject.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:50 pm
Why allow religion to take away our rights as Americans and human beings in general?

Why don't we "play nice"?

Because it is far better to die on your feet than live on your knees.  

Yur-Yur Yuri

Beloved Phantom

9,450 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Survivor 150

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:05 pm
Question the Answer
LimeIzMyFaveColor

I think you don't have a full understanding of the word 'preach.' The definition in part, from Merriam-Webster Online, is:

intransitive verb
2 : to urge acceptance or abandonment of an idea or course of action

transitive verb
2 : to advocate earnestly
3 : to deliver (as a sermon) publicly

(full definition here)

Under such definitions, why should we not preach atheism? Considering the possible dangers of religiosity, particularly fundamentalism, why should we not express our own opinion of religion?

There's a difference between preaching and proselytizing, which I suspect is more what you were thinking of. While preaching is more of advocating, voicing one's opinion in hopes of changing the minds of others, proselytizing is more along the lines of inducing conversion. It has a similar meaning but is more forceful and is solely aimed at converting and recruiting, which I don't think atheists for the most part would consider their goal.

When I share my knowledge and opinions, it is not for the sole purpose of getting my audience to join my team, so to speak, but rather to help them understand the subject from another perspective and/or to question a belief they may hold and/or to supply them with knowledge they may be lacking or misunderstanding on the subject.

sweatdrop

oh thanks for telling me the definition for "preach"
I never actually looked the word up.
Well then, we can preach atheism ... but we shouldn't proselytize it. smile  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items