Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Is there any good evidence of miracles? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Examples of Miracles:
  Surviving a building collapse
  Surviving cancer when all doctors had lost hope
  Growing back an amputated limb
View Results

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:48 pm
I would doubt it but could anyone give me any links to news stories where there is supposed evidence for any miracles?
I'm very curious. Many people always claim that "this" and "that" are all miracles of God but I never see anything that great (no surprise). Howcome God never makes an amputee's legs grow back, but performs other miracles where the "miraculous" part of it is questionable?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:20 pm
No. If somebody comes to you claiming that a preacher touched them and then MAGICALLY a cross appeared on their skin, chances are the preacher used sience to cheat (there are some substances that temporally put stains on your skin).

Televangelists are all liars.

"HOLY SH- GOD HEALED MY AIDS!"

They all heal the invisible s**t :l  

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:25 pm
Like... maybe about a year ago, my best chick friend asked me to go to church with her and that it would be "very worthwhile" since some really well known faith-healer was going to be attending the church for a couple of weeks. She told me that he supposedly made some blind man regain his vision. Naturally, I responded with "Bullshit!" and looked up the dude. I don't recall the guy's name, but he was well known enough to be on wiki (God knows how reliable that site is). If wiki was right, though, then he was some faith healer he refused to accept the challenge when some atheistic scientist offered to pay him money if he allowed for the scientists to document his "powers". Go figure...
However, this faith healer is some dude who does not ask for money whatsoever but he does receive tons of money in donations so I guess that's how he earns his living. o.O

Oh yeah... I never had the time to go to church with her. I don't remember if I was busy or anything D:  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:11 pm
Sure there are examples or miracles. If you google "Amputees legs growing back" then you'll get a ton of results.
The question you should be asking is "Are these the fault of God, or coincidences?"

[-Erik-]
"HOLY SH- GOD HEALED MY AIDS!"

They all heal the invisible s**t :l
how is AIDS invisible?  

dl1371

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:30 pm
It cannot be seen by the naked eye, or proven within the time frame of a typical studio audience. Hence invisible.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:31 pm
Levis Pennae
It cannot be seen by the naked eye, or proven within the time frame of a typical studio audience. Hence invisible.
Microscopes? Plus most people show signs of the disease on the outside.  

dl1371

FuzzBall 005

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:16 am
Technically you can call anything you want a miracle, example: Iy was a miracle I didnt get killed by pink ninjas while brushing my teeth, or its a miracle that I only got that one arm blown off.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:35 pm
dl1371
Levis Pennae

Like I said, with the naked eye. And that's why these guys only "heal" people who don't show visible symptoms of diseases, such as the early stages of A.I.D.S.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

[-Erik-]

Durem Citizen

7,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Generous 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:53 am
D i v i n i t y
Like... maybe about a year ago, my best chick friend asked me to go to church with her and that it would be "very worthwhile" since some really well known faith-healer was going to be attending the church for a couple of weeks. She told me that he supposedly made some blind man regain his vision. Naturally, I responded with "Bullshit!" and looked up the dude. I don't recall the guy's name, but he was well known enough to be on wiki (God knows how reliable that site is). If wiki was right, though, then he was some faith healer he refused to accept the challenge when some atheistic scientist offered to pay him money if he allowed for the scientists to document his "powers". Go figure...
However, this faith healer is some dude who does not ask for money whatsoever but he does receive tons of money in donations so I guess that's how he earns his living. o.O

Oh yeah... I never had the time to go to church with her. I don't remember if I was busy or anything D:

I would have sooo taken the chance!

You see, I have this itch in my parts that I've never been able to get rid off and challenging the faith healer with that would be worth a shot.

Also, LOL. Faith healers.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:21 am
Levis Pennae
dl1371
Levis Pennae

Like I said, with the naked eye. And that's why these guys only "heal" people who don't show visible symptoms of diseases, such as the early stages of A.I.D.S.
But you also said "of proven withing the time frame of a typical studio audience". It doesn't take much time to take someone's blood and use a microscope to find the HIV.  

dl1371

dl1371

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am
FuzzBall 005
Technically you can call anything you want a miracle, example: Iy was a miracle I didnt get killed by pink ninjas while brushing my teeth, or its a miracle that I only got that one arm blown off.
For a person with the normal human genes (no mutations) it is physically impossible to grow back a limb. Therefore someone growing back an arm is a miracle. The question is who did it.
There was a SciAm article about this, I might dig it up if I get bored in the next couple've hours.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:34 am
dl1371
Levis Pennae
dl1371
Levis Pennae

But you also said "of proven withing the time frame of a typical studio audience". It doesn't take much time to take someone's blood and use a microscope to find the HIV.

Unless they have the lab equipment and the personnel at the show I stand by my original statement.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

dl1371

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:46 pm
Levis Pennae
dl1371
Levis Pennae
dl1371
Levis Pennae

Unless they have the lab equipment and the personnel at the show I stand by my original statement.
Why shouldn't they?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:35 pm
dl1371
Levis Pennae
dl1371
Levis Pennae
dl1371
Levis Pennae

Why shouldn't they?

Because that would make sense to people with any bit of scientific understanding and inquiry.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Captain_Shinzo

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:46 pm
The only evidence of miracles is the person who said it.
A muslim told me
" Why does no one believe in Allah? He once made it rain diamonds for damn sake! "
The only evidence was him saying it rained diamonds and a crappy book also saying it rained diamonds.
However, blind testimony isn't exactly evidence.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff