Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Bless you Vs. Gesundheit Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FuzzBall 005

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:07 am
What do you prefer to use when someone sneezes? Personally,I use gesundheit. Decided to talk bout this cuase my friend told me that I cant use "gesundheit" becuase it isnt a legitimate way to wish him health.

Some stuff I wanna b***h about biggrin

-I dont actually have a problem with bless you, its only when when someone decides that they need to bold, CAPATALIZE, Italic, and underline god in the sentence, like my teacher does, that pisses me off. When she decides to say "GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWD bless you, I just want to tell her, "Yes, I get it! Your trying to push religion onto the 'trouble' kids, you can stop now" And No...im not being overdramatic.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:47 am
I say "Bless you", but it comes out more like "Bleshew". 3nodding  

Lethkhar

Mrithyu

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:49 pm
Well I say Gesundheit and Salud (if I'm in Spanish class 3nodding ).  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:32 am
I don't say bless you. But if someone does say that, I just tell them Thank you.  

LimeIzMyFaveColor

1,400 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100

Labtech Soosh

Fluff Powerhouse

16,800 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Marathon 300
  • Jack-pot 100
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:44 am
Me and my friends flipped it around and just started shouting expletives when somebody sneezes.
Instead of bless you, it would be "******** you" or we would shout Gesundheit with a German accent and a nazi salute.
rofl

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:56 pm
Kinda petty topic
I really just say whatever, I more often say "Bless you" because when I was little I pronounced "Gesundheit" "Geezuneit" and nobody understood me.  

dl1371

In Search of a Dream

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:12 pm
I just say "Bless you." Occasionally I use "Gesundheit" or "Salud" if I'm in Spanish class.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:43 pm
I don't mind when people say "bless you" to me when I sneeze. I'll just say thanks. (Unless they do what you said your teacher does... That would anger me) I usually don't say anything if someone else sneezes, and most people are understanding of why I don't. Or I'll say, GEEZ! YOU SCARED THE CRAP OUTTA ME! eek
I was told when I was younger that people said bless you after a person sneezed becuase that person was supposedly sneezing out the devli's will... rolleyes  

Ravyn-Bird79

Jester the Nightmare

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:53 pm
Well i usually say "B**** you did not just sneeze on me, -pimp slap-" No seriously I say bless you or whatever comes out first if anything.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:05 am
FuzzBall 005
Decided to talk bout this cuase my friend told me that I cant use "gesundheit" becuase it isnt a legitimate way to wish him health.

That's stupid. Gesundheit literally means "health". I say "na zdravje", which means something like "for health".  

Artto

Falhalterra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:22 pm
When I take full awareness of what I am saying, I just say "Excuse you." Appropriate without making it sound religious.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:42 pm
i'm german so i say Gesundheit ^^  

SnowLavender

Im A Little Pea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:31 am
You English speakers could use finding a good replacement for bless you, so there's no religion war every time a guy sneezes. smile
Or maybe it isn't so bad saying gesundheit... If you say bon apetite and such then... whatever. 0_0  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:30 am
@ Ravyn-Bird: I was told that they said "God bless you" because they thought a person's heart stopped when they sneezed (which supposedly it does) and they were trying to get god to sase them from death or something.  

Lyonette

Artto

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:09 pm
Lyonette
@ Ravyn-Bird: I was told that they said "God bless you" because they thought a person's heart stopped when they sneezed (which supposedly it does) and they were trying to get god to sase them from death or something.

I doubt it. Firstly, your heart does not stop when you sneeze, and even if it did, I doubt anyone would notice it.

It's probably just a form of wishing someone good health (since sneezing could mean the start of a cold).  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff