Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Europe. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

An Unknown Kunoichi

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:17 am
So, in Dec-Jan I shall be travelling over to Europe for a month!

The countries I'll be going to are Italy, France, Austria, Switzerland, Portugal and Spain.

Any suggestions on what to do in these countries? Also, should I do a crash-course for any certain languages? Any personal experienced help will be much appreciated. heart  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:08 am
You should have a crash-course for French, if you wish to visit there; to my impression, most French speak brilliant English, but it most likely they won’t use it and would ignore you if you just dare to speak to them in it.
When it comes to attractions, I suggest you to check Parc Astérix (near Paris), which is based on the Advantures of Astérix; if you know that series, you will absolutely love it.  

Einllikoach
Crew

In Medias Res IV
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:56 am
Have fun, just have fun. Everyone speaks english.

I'll be in Israel :]  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:05 am
In Medias Res IV

Ah! ;D When exactly?  

Einllikoach
Crew

In Medias Res IV
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:56 am
Einllikoach
In Medias Res IV

Ah! ;D When exactly?

Dec 31st-Jan 8th.

I'll have a free day to myself in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:09 am
Einllikoach

When it comes to attractions, I suggest you to check Parc Astérix (near Paris), which is based on the Advantures of Astérix; if you know that series, you will absolutely love it.

Yay for Asterix and Obelix!

Wow, Amanda, you're leaving for Israel? Hooray! That's great.

Please post pictures? biggrin  

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

In Medias Res IV
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:15 am
Britomartis-the-Valiant
Einllikoach

Yay for Asterix and Obelix!

Wow, Amanda, you're leaving for Israel? Hooray! That's great.

Please post pictures? biggrin

Of course!! I still have pictures from Turkey that you haven't seen!

User Image

XD  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:34 am
Yay, pictures!

Hey, if a bunch of us are traveling, we could start a photo album. Hmmmm. smile

I'm hoping to study abroad next year or so (but I need to get my act together- as in figure out a major and a good program and a place to go), so maybe I'll actually be able to contribute.  

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

In Medias Res IV
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:35 am
Where are you going?!  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:45 am
Well, I talked to the head of the Global Studies department, and she told me that if I wanted to specialize in the Middle East, I'd have to study a year in Israel. I'm leaning away from this option, not that I don't like Israel (quite the opposite), but I am unwilling to be abroad for a year. I feel like I am not ready for that, especially emotionally. I'd miss my family and friends too much, and frankly LDRs suck. If it were only for a semester, I'd have no problem.
If I go for international economic development, I'm not sure if I have to study in a country where they speak the language that I choose (which in this case would be Spanish). Spanish is the only language I've studied where I could be close enough to intermediate level that I wouldn't have to take as many classes in it.
If these don't work out, I'd probably find another major and study abroad wherever I please which could vary depending on the program I find.  

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

An Unknown Kunoichi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:08 pm
Britomartis-the-Valiant
Well, I talked to the head of the Global Studies department, and she told me that if I wanted to specialize in the Middle East, I'd have to study a year in Israel. I'm leaning away from this option, not that I don't like Israel (quite the opposite), but I am unwilling to be abroad for a year. I feel like I am not ready for that, especially emotionally. I'd miss my family and friends too much, and frankly LDRs suck. If it were only for a semester, I'd have no problem.
If I go for international economic development, I'm not sure if I have to study in a country where they speak the language that I choose (which in this case would be Spanish). Spanish is the only language I've studied where I could be close enough to intermediate level that I wouldn't have to take as many classes in it.
If these don't work out, I'd probably find another major and study abroad wherever I please which could vary depending on the program I find.

Are you doing a Bachelor degree in International Studies? !~

If you are, where are you taking it? I've applied for this course for next year.

Oh, and thanks for the replies so far! =) Any more info?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:16 pm
An Unknown Kunoichi
Britomartis-the-Valiant

If you are, where are you taking it? I've applied for this course for next year.

No, there is no International Studies at my uni, but there is Global Studies. I'm not sure what the difference is really. Perhaps in the concentrations and requirements?  

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:31 pm
Since 2 countries you listed are French speaking, i would say French.
Oh my goodness you're going to have fun ^^

I would recommend IF you can, to see Denmark, Norway or Sweden.
Scandinavia is so lovely!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:40 pm
Britomartis-the-Valiant

No, there is no International Studies at my uni, but there is Global Studies. I'm not sure what the difference is really. Perhaps in the concentrations and requirements?

Ah~ Yeah, I'm not quite sure either. One uni around here offers Bachelor of International Studies, while the other is International/Global Studies. =S I've tried to find any significant differences, but it is very very similar. Both are 3FT courses.

PiercedPixie2
Since 2 countries you listed are French speaking, i would say French.
Oh my goodness you're going to have fun ^^

I would recommend IF you can, to see Denmark, Norway or Sweden.
Scandinavia is so lovely!

Yeah, I'll just pump up my rusty French speaking skills. xD

Yeah, well, since I'm only over there for a month, I'm just doing a South-West run first. Perhaps around April-May, I'll go to the Northern countries. It's probably to cold in Dec-Jan there! xD  

An Unknown Kunoichi

In Medias Res IV
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:54 pm
Britomartis-the-Valiant
An Unknown Kunoichi
Britomartis-the-Valiant

GO TO ISRAEL mad

Mother just told me today that if she gets through her surgery, she wants to go to Spain so it looks like we're going to Spain, Portugal and Morocco in the summer.  
The World Mosaic

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff