Welcome to Gaia! ::

Green; The Eco Guild [LARGEST ON GAIA!]

Back to Guilds

If you love the earth, and want to be part of a group with the same ideals, this is the guild for you! 

Tags: Ecosystem, green, earth, water, clean 

Reply 2:: Topic: land.
Landfills Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you support them?
  Yes
  No
  Yes, but only the ones that have decomposable matter.
View Results

We Lie Awake -Breakdown-

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:00 pm
So, speaking of land preservation, what are your opinions on landfills?

Personally, I believe that landfills are not the way to go. Recycle as much as you can! And for the stuff you can't, is it environmentally safe to burn them? Honestly, I don't know.
Though, if the contents in the landfill are decomposable, I'll support them.

NOW: SPEAK YOUR MINDS, MINIONS! XD  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:10 am
Care to explain, dear?  

We Lie Awake -Breakdown-

freddie07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:19 am
I agree, recycling is the way to go. Recycling bins are picked up from homes once every two weeks, this is separate from household refuse, that is picked up once a weeks, and once a year we have what is called "Inorganic Day" Householders spend a week putting their broken or unwanted stuff like, dressers, appliances, computers, beds, settees etc. out front of their homes to be collected.

During that week people look through the stuff and take what they think is usable, so the phrase, "One man's trash, is another man's treasure" really applies here. It will be interesting to see what initiatives other countries have in place, or if they even have any.

But I must find out what they do with the inorganics that have been picked up. Burning, some stuff are to toxic to burn, controlled by, bylaws and local government council, I'll check that one out too. Keep you posted. Most interesting.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:05 am
I dont really understand the burning of the items that arent able to be recycled but I really am wondering about this because I think it would be a good idea and save more space . Cant we just ship alot of the stuff to space and it can become space junk ? Just a suggestion..  

Coral Delight

TheSpareHeir

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:26 pm
Another good way to eliminate waste in landfills is by purchasing a compost bin. You can throw all sorts of food scraps in there! I remember in third grade, we had a "worm bin", where we'd toss all our apple cores, and items like that. It took it a while, but some mighty good soil was produced.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:45 pm
yes. the landfill... i'd rather not. maybe with biodegradable materials, but why let it get that far? then again, i re-use most of what i purchase, pass it on if i can, and what actual 'refuse' that i have left goes to the waste management company that does what it can to keep it out of the landfill. very little that i buy is new (i mean, come on. used underwear is going a little too far). if i can buy new stuff in recycled packaging, that's cool. i don't use plastic grocery bags if i can help it, and what i do get are recycled one way or another as soon as they get into the house. extremist? maybe. it's not like i do this religiously or anything. but what i do is actually quite cost effective, especially since i don't buy other than what i need. then there's not as much waste.  

Metal Wallflower

Sayonara-tan

Liberal Gekko

7,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Healer 50
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:40 pm
Coral Delight
I dont really understand the burning of the items that arent able to be recycled but I really am wondering about this because I think it would be a good idea and save more space . Cant we just ship alot of the stuff to space and it can become space junk ? Just a suggestion..

Have you not seen Futurama? XP There's enough space junk as it is, and a huge amount of fuel would be needed to launch rubbish into space, especially as it's just transporting the problem elsewhere. What if the solar system becomes like our planet? Will there be planetary landfills to clear up the space between planets?  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:56 pm
Is'nt it better to make them recyclable? Like for technologie or power thing like that.  

lilaznprincess85

Shanna66

9,800 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:29 pm
i live just an hour away from mt trashmore and i love that concept, turning a landfill into a park. i think its decently eco friendly and it gives land back to nature and givs kids a place to play  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:52 am
Y'know, some places have done land-conversion projects already. I know in Tampa, there's a golf course built over a landfill. Honestly? Even if I was into golf, I don't know that I'd ever play there. talk2hand Only because it's pretty...uh, whiffy there. It smells REALLY bad. I never even had to stop there to know it; I'd just drive by and it was obvious.

Maybe some other conversion projects have worked better? I'm not sure.  

BlueberryJoy

High-functioning Cutesmasher

12,475 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Invisibility 100
  • Pet Lover 100

KimLink

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:12 pm
TomV
Coral Delight

Have you not seen Futurama? XP There's enough space junk as it is, and a huge amount of fuel would be needed to launch rubbish into space, especially as it's just transporting the problem elsewhere. What if the solar system becomes like our planet? Will there be planetary landfills to clear up the space between planets?

Kinda like WallE, too. O.o I'm not polluting outer space. =-="

Recycling bins, compost bins, and there are tons of other ways to recycle and reuse things that people don't know what to do. They've been doing more promoting for things like "e-cycling" for recycling computers and cellphones. Mmmm.... Around here, for some reason, my town doesn't seem that eco-friendly. crying Some houses have recycling bins, but most don't. Even though there are promotions for places where you can recycle used oil from your car and stuff, still, there's quite of bit of work we can do. =/

I'm a little iffy on the conversion project idea. The stuff in landfills can be extremely toxic, leaking out chemicals like mercury or radon and stuff.

That's why landfills shouldn't exist in the first place. @__@"

I reuse, like, 95% of the things I have. And half of those things are hand-me-downs anyways. 8D  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:07 pm
In a perfect world there would be no need for landfills. We would find a way to recycle everything.

Putting things into space is already a problem! Space trash is already damaging satellites.

As for burning trash, that is a problem too. Burning trash creates air pollution.

We will not be totally "eco-friendly" until we do away with the causes. However, most of us are not likely to want to do without those: cars, televisions, computers, microwaves, paper products, plastic products, etc.

Could you go a week without all of the above (without camping)? Think about it! biggrin  

Obiageli

Mr Jekyll

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:17 pm
Instead of landfills couldn't they just make an incinerator (fun fire) which gives off a lot of CO2, but to counteract that you plant a bunch of trees around it to soak up the CO2. There's probably a lot of flaws in that neutral but increased CO2 levels does make trees grow faster so they wouldn't take as much time to mature  
2:: Topic: land.

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff