Pet Peeves in Fan Works Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:45 am
What are some inaccurate things in HP fan fics and fan arts that you see often that really get on your nerves? Let's all vent to each other!

For example, I HATE when authors have Harry and the Weasleys call Hermione "Mione" in fan fics! Who thought up that ridiculously nickname? NO ONE in the books EVER calls her a nickname ONCE except Grawp calls her "Hermy." Honestly, the name Hermione just isn't meant to have a nickname, and some fan authors just need to get over it! scream

Wow, normally I don't get so worked up about things, redface but...yeah, that really bothers me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:20 am
I hate when artists make Sirius' eyes blue, when if they read the book they'd know his eyes are grey! Lots of people do it and it bothers me so much. Being the huge Sirius fan I am, that's something that bugs me when I look at fanart.  

hilaryparkers

Distinct Survivor

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Risky Lifestyle 100

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:51 pm
I completely agree with you, Cy! I hate it when people make Sirius' eyes blue instead of grey. rolleyes It also infuriates me when someone makes Remus have blond hair instead of light brown. Honestly, Remus' hair colour is mentioned in PoA AND HBP; there's no excuse for getting it wrong! evil  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Voldemorts eyes.
They are different in everything I see about him! It annoys the tar out of me!!  

ShePotterGleek

2,050 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

SuperKoolPartyGal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:57 pm
I honestly hate any fic that has Rose with anyone but Scorp! I'm not sure why...but I really cant stand it.

And now that Harry Potter Fanfiction.com has been turned into a Twilight site instead...I have no clue where to read new good fanfiction.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:25 pm
I honestly think people can call the characters whatever they want. If "Mione" floats their boat, then who really cares? We know what her name is. And we can use it correctly.  

Fumetsu Hime

Rayvyn_Vaughn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:56 pm
I just hate it when the characters are way off. Like, the characters being a little off is okay, but when they change them so much, you can barely recognize the character anymore, it kills me inside. And I just want to rip the author's head off. scream  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:58 am
when Sirius's hair is anything BUT black, honestly in fanart or fanfiction.

Also the numerous absurd pairings out there. I once saw a Snape and Luna fic also Flich ones are just disturbing, but they are out there - unfortunately. Same with Hagrid with the Giant Squid, which just takes beastiality to a whole new level if you ask me.
Voldemort and Harry in any time warp is one that just doesn't make sense to me, it's like "have you read the books?" should be asked of any author who does that.
If you have to pair people up differently, make them believable. Aberforth and a goat if you need to, Lockhart and himself or with Dumbledore (what else could he have been thinking with hiring him? anyone? hmmm?) even the Draco and Hermoine ones are better than making her go with guys that could be her father. Honestly, Hermione is not Lavander Brown, stop making her a slut people!  

Lelandra

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:42 pm
Super, you'd better stay away from my fics about the New Gen. I always have Scorpius with Al. razz

Rayvyn, I detest OCCness too. pirate

Lelandra, that Lockhart/Dumbledore reference made me laugh! All student/professor pairings make me uncomfortable, as do all incest couples, but I'm not sure if that's a "pet peeve" of mine exactly since they make me a bit nauseous instead of irritated.

Ooh, I know one! exclaim Even though I disapprove of all adult/child pairings, the ones that actually make me angry are Harry/Sirius and Harry/Remus. They're like Harry's surrogate parental figures; (I know Arthur and Molly are too, but that's not the point.) he would NOT be attracted to them! More importantly, neither Remus nor Sirius would do that.

Also, fics that were written after DH was released that have Lily and Severus hating each other throughout all of Hogwarts, completely disregarding one of the key aspects of canon, are ridiculous. rolleyes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:19 pm
Along with the Sirius' eyes, I hate Ginny's "Green" or "Blue" eyes!

I hate ridiculous pairings, too! A few are okay-- LupinxSirius, RosexScorp, even Harry-freakin'-Hermione!

JamesxSnape, HarryxAny-parental-figure, PettigrewxVoldemort= Ridiculous!

Also, OOC people.

Necromancy. Post DH "Hey, look, there's Cedric, Collin, and Nagini hanging out!"  

GabrielleClearwater

SuzelovesJamesPotter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:33 pm
Hmm.. first of all, when the people can't even spell the characters name. I get one typo, but if you put 'Dumbledoor' every single time in a fan fiction, that doesn't work for me.

Ron being totally stupid in a fanfiction. I know he is not the brightest crayon in the box, but he does have his moments. He is not this jerkface some people make him out to be.

James being a complete jerk. Yeah, he was arrogant and not the nicest to Sev, but he wasn't a horrible person. Lily wouldn't of married him if he didn't have good qualities too. Oh and James was a CHASER, not a seeker. Books and JKR are dominate over any movie!

Now fanart:
Albus has green eyes. He is the only one of Harry's kids with green eyes. Thus give him green eyes smile !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:11 am
Let me see. I understand that most people don't like Wormtail. But that's no excuse to point blank ignore him in a Marauders' fic, or send him off to the hospital wing or say his grandmother died, so the "good" Marauders can have their little adventure without him, or (even worse) insert an A/N in the middle of the story saying DIE, DIE! every single time that the author has to mention his name throughout the story. Come on! It's canon that he tagged along after James and Sirius, and was even more visible as a member of the group than Lupin.

And the weird pairings... How do they even come up with some of those? o.O Odd people.  

Matelia legwll

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:36 am
Suze, that's a very good point. There's no excuse for spelling the same name wrong repeatedly. The ones that I see the most often that vex me greatly are "Mooney," "Lillly," and all of the ways people spell Dumbledore and McGonagall incorrectly. stressed

Matelia, that's true; in a multi-chaptered fic about the Marauders it isn't right to have Peter be absent, or just have the other Marauders seeming to mistrust him for no reason. The whole reason his betrayel worked was because they did trust him. If I'm being perfectly honest, however, I must admit that I really don't mind him being absent from oneshots.

Authors' notes in the middle of a chapter interupt the flow of the story. They should do them either at the very beginning or very end of the chapter.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:21 pm

I hate fanfics when Harry is paired with Draco or someone old enough to be his father. HarryxDraco really pisses me off for some reason xD
I see it everywhere. Please, a little more originality.
Also incest. I hate incest with a passion.

WH0RECRUX

Minerva the Bookwyrm
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:17 am
Whorecrux (love your username rofl ) Harry/Draco isn't a pairing that I support either (Harry and Draco both just give off completely "straight" vibes in my opinion, and I don't think they have good chemistry.) but I don't think that you'll ever be able to escape it because it's actually the most popular slash pairing in the Potterverse, so hopefully you'll be able to make peace with it since it probably won't ever go away.

Main Forum: Haven for Harry Potter Fanatics

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff