Submit

Do you know who Matt Smith is?
  Yes
  No
View Results

JackLantern2020

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:26 pm
Matt Smith!

Now what do you think of the choice? Do you know who he is? Do you like the choice they made in choosing him to be the next doctor?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:27 am
User ImageUser Image

I'm afraid I haven't actually seen any of his work, but I did watch his DW Confidential interview and since none of us have seen his take on the Doctor and won't until 2010 I can only say that if the producers and writers like him then I'll support their decision. I'm excited to see what he'll do with the role.

Now don't get me wrong, I'll absolutely miss David. He's my favorite and I'm very sad to see him go. But I also understand that my sadness isn't going to make him change his mind and stay forever, so why get all angry fangirl over it and break down Matt just because he's not David? Some of the reactions I've seen to that effect are downright shameful.

I'll hold my final judgment until I see him in action. And with Moffat at the helm I doubt we'll be disappointed in the end.

User Image

Professor River Song

JackLantern2020

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:08 am
I heard talk that this doctor will have river song as his companion, I think there is talk of her witnessing his regeneration from David to Matt.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:08 am
Professor River Song
User ImageUser Image

I'm afraid I haven't actually seen any of his work, but I did watch his DW Confidential interview and since none of us have seen his take on the Doctor and won't until 2010 I can only say that if the producers and writers like him then I'll support their decision. I'm excited to see what he'll do with the role.

Now don't get me wrong, I'll absolutely miss David. He's my favorite and I'm very sad to see him go. But I also understand that my sadness isn't going to make him change his mind and stay forever, so why get all angry fangirl over it and break down Matt just because he's not David? Some of the reactions I've seen to that effect are downright shameful.

I'll hold my final judgment until I see him in action. And with Moffat at the helm I doubt we'll be disappointed in the end.

User Image

This.

I am sad to see David go, but he's going to go anyway.

Besides, I'm sure that once this guy has had some episodes, he'll fit right in, and people will be happy with him. I've only been a fan while Eccleston and Tennant were on, but if my memory serves me correctly, I heard both of them get complained about too before we actually saw them do the part. I doubt it'll be much different this time.

Then when Smith leaves, chances are we'll probably hear more of the same about his replacement.

I also haven't seem him act before, so shall have to wait and see.

Morgey

Wheezing Genius

xXMiss_Wolfy_WhoXx

Friendly Werewolf

6,150 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:41 am

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

he has also been in ruby in the smoke with fellow doctor who compaion billie piper

i think he'll be a cool doctor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:17 am
User ImageUser Image

Jack: That would be amazing. I hope even a fraction of that is true. ...But of course I'm bias. xD

Morgey: Exactly!

User Image

Professor River Song

JackLantern2020

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:45 am
I wonder what the young river song will look like? Anyway I guess I had hoped it was Sean Pertwee and expected them to go with Jason Nesbitt so I was shocked when I heard they were going with Matt Smith, my first thought was who the heck is matt smith and then I remarked on how the last name smith has been played through out doctor who history. First John Smith, then Sarah Jane Smith, then Mickey Smith, and now Matt Smith.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:53 pm
JackLantern2020
I wonder what the young river song will look like? Anyway I guess I had hoped it was Sean Pertwee and expected them to go with Jason Nesbitt so I was shocked when I heard they were going with Matt Smith, my first thought was who the heck is matt smith and then I remarked on how the last name smith has been played through out doctor who history. First John Smith, then Sarah Jane Smith, then Mickey Smith, and now Matt Smith.

Only now it's going to be the last name of the actor.  

Triska
Crew

GeekyTanta

Angelic Loiterer

11,090 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:29 pm
As an Australian I never know who the new actors are - for both Doctor and companions - so in many ways I see this as an advantage because I have absolutely no preconceptions on who they are and what characters they might have previously acted.

Although I was vaguely familiar with both Peter Davison and Christopher Eccleston.

Yes, I've been doing the regeneration runaround lark for quite a while and believe me fans are never happy about the new choice until about 2-3 stories in when they suddenly forget the old guy and love the new.

We DW fans are a weird bunch who seem to forget that our beloved show is all about change and hate to see change happen in the show.

I will truly miss David, he became my 2nd favourite Doctor of all time (and space), but we have to have faith in the actor, writers and all the creative crew to take us forward with a new Doctor.

P.S. I am still in shock, however, to realise that I am now going to be older than the actor playing the Doctor! lol  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:53 am
Very true I guess we will just have to give Matt Smith a chance, who knows he'll probably become another doctor we all know and love, I just hope the outfit he picks is good. Course the question on my mind is how will david regenerate? Will he be dying from some disease, shot by something, or some how is aged to the point of regeneration?  

JackLantern2020

Triska
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:51 pm
Age is one of the causes. That was how the first Doctor died. Second time it was a forced regeneration. After that he was getting killed.

Perhaps the Doctor will trip and hit his head on a brick. He really should have knocked on wood.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:12 pm
that would be as bad as the sixth doctor's regeneration.  

JackLantern2020

Runa Whynd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:48 am
I'm all for giving the guy a chance but I'm a little trepidatious about having a 26 year old as the Doctor. I could deal with a mid to late thirties Doctor but any younger than that just seems at odds with the resposability and experience that goes with being over 900 years old.

Still, I'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. Hoping for the best.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:18 am
Sometimes I feel the doctor is just getting younger with every regeneration and pretty soon one day we will have a teenager doctor, how scary is that?  

JackLantern2020

Triska
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:00 pm
Don't think so. As you notice in the listing they've been alternating.

William Hartnell: 55
Patrick Troughton: 46
Jon Pertwee: 51
Tom Baker: 40
Peter Davison: 30
Colin Baker: 40
Sylvester McCoy: 44
Paul McGann: 37
Christopher Eccleston: 41
David Tennant: 34
Matt Smith: 26

That's my age too. biggrin

For those of you (like me) who live in the U.S.A. and can not watch the interview cause BBC doesn't want us to watch it like those in the U.K. can. Here it is on YouTube...... Presented by the BBC. Go fig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zog-6SrGxE0  
When I Say Run - A Doctor Who Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces