Reply Debate and Discussion
Science and Health

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ShideKnight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:38 pm
Has anyone read the book Science and Health, by Mary Eddy Baker? Or does anyone know something about it?

I've been interested in the book for a while and I am reading it right now... it's very interesting. It certainly doesn't seem to be saying anything that's outright wrong, though it is kinda hard to understand.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:22 am
Well, despite our scientific knowledge, much of our medicine still fails. We really don't know as much as we think we do.  

divineseraph

ShideKnight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:27 pm
Bwahahaha... yeah, true.

Science and Health is a book about Christian Science, though. That's what I am asking about.

Gotta say, I found out a big problem with their beliefs that I don't agree with, but the base of it actually seems to agree with what Jesus taught.

I guess the details are always what you have to pay attention to.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:58 pm
Mary Eddy Baker's writings are nothing but pure heretical theology.

Science and Health
Referring to Genesis 2:7: "Is this addition to His creation real or unreal? Is it the truth, or is it a lie concerning man and God? It must be a lie..." (p. 524).

"The theory of three persons in one God (that is, a personal Trinity or Triunity) suggests polytheism, rather than one ever-present I AM" (Ibid., p. 256).

"The Christian who believes in the First Commandment is a monotheist. Thus he virtually unites with the Jew's belief in one God, and recognizes that Jesus Christ is not God, as Jesus himself declared, but is the Son of God" (Ibid., p. 361).

The list goes on.... from "sinner makes his own hell by doing evil" (p. 266) to "evil is but an illusion" (p. 480)  

Monergism

ShideKnight

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:38 pm
I think I get what she's saying.... Huh. I'm surprised she would outright call something like that in the bible an outright lie.  
Debate and Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games