So long and thanks for the memories. 

Tags: Nintendo, Gaming, Video games 

Reply 'Tendo Cult~
Wanting Challenges for Pokémon Crystal Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Favorite second generation Pokémon game?
  Gold
  Silver
  Crystal
  I didn't play any of the second generation games.
View Results

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:43 pm
My sister gave me her copy of Pokémon Crystal several years ago, and for various reasons I was only able to finally restart it yesterday. I want to play through the game normally, but a combination of wanting to just use Master Balls on all of the legendaries, the cloning glitch not working in Crystal, and Silver's internal battery being dead, means that I'm going to restart the game and beat all of the Johto gym leaders four times. And, to be honest, playing through four times by just catching a team and raising them to kill everything will be boring. That's where you guys come in.

I'm currently beating the Johto leaders with just a Cyndaquil/Quilava/Typhlosion, and I'd like some challenges for my other playthroughs. A few rules:
- It has to be possible. I can't beat the entire game just using Splash attack, as awesome as that would be.
- Nothing requiring a GameShark. Mine's broken, and I don't want to buy a new one. And cheating's for wimps, anyway. wink
- Nothing that requires beating the Elite Four/going to Kanto. I'd like to restart after I've gotten the Master Ball in each playthrough.
- Don't suggest anything that requires trading a second-gen pokémon. I don't have a second working cartridge, and Pokémon Stadium 2 won't let you transfer other pokémon to the game until you've caught 150 pokémon.
- I can do almost anything involving first-gens, but the Time Capsule doesn't work until I've reached Ecruteak City.
- Challenges can apply from clicking 'New Game' to getting the Master Ball, in just one area, or any other length of time you want it to, as long as it still fits the above rules.
- On the same note, you can be as vague or specific as you want as long as it follows the above rules.
- Crazy challenges are fine. I like crazy.
- I am not completing the Pokédex. Similarly, I am not going to catch any of the legendaries, especially not Entei and Raikou. Any other limited pokémon in Johto are fine, though.
- Unless specified otherwise, I will assume that I can use HM slaves. I will also assume that I can decide what pokémon to use for HM slaves and what HMs they'll be taught.

Have fun.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:56 pm
Maybe try to beat each of the gym leaders solely with type-disadvantaged Pokemon/moves?  

RoseSpirit

5,200 Points
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Full closet 200
  • Hygienic 200

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:06 pm
RoseSpirit
Maybe try to beat each of the gym leaders solely with type-disadvantaged Pokemon/moves?

That might work. I'll have to come up with something that's weak against ghost but can still hurt it, but otherwise I can't think of any problems.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:08 pm
-No level-low level playthrough
Play through the game while leveling as little as possible. Avoid Trainers at all costs.

Edit
-Starter to finish
Play through the game without catching any pokemon.  

The Sexiest Wario

Beloved Sex Symbol

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:09 pm
Get up to the point where you catch Dunsparce, and beat the rest of the game with him. cool  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:14 am
(This is Zephyr, for the record.)

Aurons_Blade
Play through the game while leveling as little as possible. Avoid Trainers at all costs.

Edit
-Starter to finish

The first one sounds fun. I'd probably only use one or two pokémon with it, but I'll have to try it.

I think the second one is possible if I start with Totodile (you need Cut, Strength, and Surf to beat the game), but it'll definitely be a challenge.

Who knows, maybe I can even combine the two. cool

auS-e-Dude
Get up to the point where you catch Dunsparce, and beat the rest of the game with him. cool

XD
I think I have to beat Faulkner for that (or can you find him before he swarms?), but I will definitely try this.  

Backyard Bottomslash

Sir Codin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:28 am
Beat the Gym Leaders (and any trainers and wild Pokemon along the way you may come across) without any of your Pokemon fainting even once.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:52 am
Backyard Bottomslash

auS-e-Dude

XD
I think I have to beat Faulkner for that (or can you find him before he swarms?), but I will definitely try this.

You can, but I hope you love 1% chance.  

Bass Beatdown

7,850 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

The Sexiest Wario

Beloved Sex Symbol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:13 am
Backyard Bottomslash
(This is Zephyr, for the record.)

Aurons_Blade

Edit
-Starter to finish

The first one sounds fun. I'd probably only use one or two pokémon with it, but I'll have to try it.

I think the second one is possible if I start with Totodile (you need Cut, Strength, and Surf to beat the game), but it'll definitely be a challenge.

Who knows, maybe I can even combine the two. cool

Tip for the first one: try to catch the strongest pokemon in the area, beat gym, next area, repeat. And take Gym Leader training into great consideration, sense it's the only means of gaining any levels.

Tell me if you ever try the second one. It'll suck not having any flyers.

If you beat the game combining the two, I'll give you my most valuable item. =P  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:12 am
Why beat the game with you starter? Just catch a way weaker Pokemon like Dunsparce, and beat the entire game with it.

An HM slave as your only Pokemon is also a good idea xp  

El Dimentio

Trop003

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:46 am
I remember Dunsparce. I named it Dig Dug.

Hey, that's an idea! Stock up on Pokeballs (and not Great, or Ultra) and try to catch every single species of wild pokemon you come across. And to make it harder,nickname every single Pokemon you catch. And they have to be good names, too. Ya can't name one ******** and the other You.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:58 am
Baby pokemon only challenge.  

Allegro

Zephyrkitty

Beloved Lunatic

9,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:32 pm
@LoA: Any single pokémon challenge has that automatically, but that would be difficult with a team of 6.

@Aus-e: I'm going to be spending a lot of time in Dark Cave. Hopefully I don't kill the first one I run into.

@Auron: Considering some trainers' line of sight, there might be enough unskippable fights for me to do okay combining the two. I will miss not being able to fly everywhere, though.

@El Boricua: Aus-e mentioned Dunsparce, but do you have any other suggestions for weak pokémon?

@Tropius: I tried doing that once but discovered that I was bad at coming up with nicknames. Everything would probably be named after characters from movies/books/TV shows/anime/games. Maybe I could do that when I start playing through the whole game, though.

@Allegro: Does Togepi count? Otherwise I have to get to Goldenrod city before I can start.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:35 pm
Tempered Steel challenge: Starter is Cyndaquil and your only allowed to catch steel-type pokemon

Dark Ambush challenge: Starter is Totodile and your only allowed to catch dark-type pokemon

One of these two should prove to be fun
RULES:
HM slave is allowed but must meet the type requirement.
No rare candies
Must fight every trainer but run from all wild pokemon unless they are one of the above types
Only TM moves you can teach must be of the above type
Tempered Steel exception: you may catch Pineco, Scyther, and Onix only for the express purpose of evolving them, but may not fight them in the wild after catching it.  

teh_n00b_huntr

Orphie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:45 pm
After getting your first Pokeballs, the next six pokemon that you see (and are able to catch) will make up your team for the rest of the game. An alternative to this would be to catch the first five Pokemon you see and keep your starter in your team.  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff