Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
I hate the concept of race Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

In Medias Res II

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:29 pm
I simply don't believe in it.
I've been spending time on stormfront, harassing those morons, and guess what? To them I am not white! What do you lot think I am then?

User Image

is it the hair? is that it? IS IT? Gah! I think this is ridiculous. What exactly is 'white'?!

User Image

Stormfront needs to be shut down.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:19 pm
There is no such thing as race. I've been learning in biology that there is no foundation for the concept of race.

Quote:
This imprecision in assigning the proportion of variation assigned to differences among population within ”races” as compared to variation among “races,” arises precisely because there is no objective way to assign the various human populations to clear-cut races. Into which “race” do the Hindi and Urdu speakers of the Indian sub-continent fall? Should they be grouped with Europeans or with Asians or should a separate race be assigned to them? Are the Lapps of Finland and the Hazari of Afghanistan really Europeans or Asians? What about Indonesians and Melanesians? Different biologists have made different assignments and the number of “races” assigned by anthropologists and geneticists has varied from 3 to 30.

Source

This goes along with your question about what made you white or not. Do those people really consider Italians to not be white? Yay, I'm a quarter Italian, does that mean I don't have to fill in the racial bubble for white despite my blondish hair? Those bubbles are ridiculous anyways in my opinion.

This study is funny. How they test for race though is not in the actual active genes.

Quote:
A clustering of populations that does correspond to classical continental "races" can be acheived by using a special class of non-functional DNA, microsatellites. By selecting among microsatellites, it is possible to find a set that will cluster together African populations, European populations, and Asian populations, etc. These selected microsatellite DNA markers are not typical of genes, however, but have been chosen precisely because they are "maximally informative" about group differences. Thus, they tell us what we already knew about the differences between populations of the classical "races" from skin color, face shape, and hair form. They have the added advantage of allowing us to make good estimates of the amount of intermixture that has occurred between populations as a result of migrations and conquests.

Source

And if they test actual alleles, they do not get patterns according to race.

Quote:
Most important from the standpoint of the biological meaning of these racial categories, however, most human genetic variation does not show such "race" clustering. For the vast majority of human genetic variations, classical racial categories as defined by a combination of geography, skin color, nose and hair shape, an occasional blood type or selected microsatellites make no useful prediction of genetic differences. This failure of the clustering of local populations into biologically meaningful "races" based on a few clear genetic differences is not confined to the human species. Zoologists long ago gave up the category of "race" for dividing up groups of animal populations within a species, because so many of these races turned out to be based on only one or two genes so that two animals born in the same litter could belong to different "races."

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

In Medias Res II

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:28 pm
Brit, these people are nuts!

NUTS!

They've been calling me Ashkenazi, and of course I am flattered that they really think I'm Jewish, but it's not a good thing coming from them.

If you're Northern Italian, you're white. If you're southern like I am then your 'blood is tainted by Arab blood'.

These are the people who deny the holocaust and think Jews are racists and control the world.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:40 pm
In Medias Res II
Brit, these people are nuts!

NUTS!

They've been calling me Ashkenazi, and of course I am flattered that they really think I'm Jewish, but it's not a good thing coming from them.

If you're Northern Italian, you're white. If you're southern like I am then your 'blood is tainted by Arab blood'.

These are the people who deny the holocaust and think Jews are racists and control the world.

Wow, their racism fails when they can't guess the 'race' of the person they're discriminating against.

Umm, it's Swiss Italian, so I'm really not sure if it's Northern or Southern. Northern seems more likely (*sigh* It'd be cool to be 'tainted by Arab blood'), but I know certain ancestors were in the mafia and we do have dark eye, hair, and skin genes. Wait, are Middle Easterners considered white?

Jews racist? Wow. *Eye twitch* Jews have various backgrounds as they've been spread all over the world. I think it's the people who dominate a culture or who try to remain separate who tend to be more racist against others.

Convince them that you're Filipino maybe. razz  

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:40 pm
My mothers side is Costa Rican, but my nephew is white.
He lives in C.R and always has.

I am white, my mom is white.
The only one that really was tan was my grandmother.

I dont get races either, but nationalities i'm cool with.
For instance, a Latino is a person of Latin American decent. but they make my nephew check 'white' stare  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:30 am
It doesn't matter, all humans are the same breed... -_-  

Verderbnis
Crew

Flexion_verbalis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:18 am
well, i live in germany (know what you think now!) and believe me, i am really sick of this damn neo-nazi scum. but when they gather for a "march" or something like that, mostly there are 400 of them and about 3000 ore more, of us: people who are against racism and the damn neo-nazis. i think that is a good sign to the world. we are germans but not all damn neo-nazis.

i took part in anti-nazi-demonstrations since i was 13 (thats about 10 years ago now...), it's sad, that there are still such stupid people but i am sure, they will never rise again! exclaim

that was all i wanted you to know smile  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:32 am
In my own dictionary race is described like this

race: some stupid thing to find some minor difference, to blow it up to a major problem, justifying the use of violent measures towards groups of people.

I absolutely have enough of those nazi bastards, since my time during the army. It was pretty much fun to see them rant, just because some foreign comrades came up with better results during the training. ^^  

Verderbnis
Crew

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:53 pm
Flexion_verbalis
well, i live in germany (know what you think now!) and believe me, i am really sick of this damn neo-nazi scum. but when they gather for a "march" or something like that, mostly there are 400 of them and about 3000 ore more, of us: people who are against racism and the damn neo-nazis. i think that is a good sign to the world. we are germans but not all damn neo-nazis.

i took part in anti-nazi-demonstrations since i was 13 (thats about 10 years ago now...), it's sad, that there are still such stupid people but i am sure, they will never rise again! exclaim

that was all i wanted you to know smile

There are neo-nazi's in America as well.
But they do not hold demonstrations, they are 'lone wolves' who stay in the shadows waiting for the 'up rising' LMAO

Ridiculous isnt it? XD  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:37 pm
Verderbnis

race: some stupid thing to find some minor difference, to blow it up to a major problem, justifying the use of violent measures towards groups of people.

Totally agree with that, sadly nowdays this statement not only apply to race but to alot of factor about someone. The outside look of somebody is too important nowdays. Wichever your difference is, you can bet someone will take advantage of it and turn it into something hurtfull.  

DarkNaddi

Egrus Dam

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:01 am
PiercedPixie2

But they do not hold demonstrations, they are 'lone wolves' who stay in the shadows waiting for the 'up rising' LMAO

Ridiculous isnt it? XD

Sure it is xd
Unfortunately the current political situation in Italy is appallingly unbelievable and racists are coming back. EVEN IN MY INTERPRETS UNI!!! stressed How can people talk to someone else in another tongue if they don't even LIKE them??? (luckily they're a minority!)
The concept of "race" itself is ridiculous, because humans have been miscelating amongst themselves for so long that any "race" is no longer "pure", there are only a few common traits.
I instead like very much different people from different countries and some of my best friends are from or were born on them! rofl  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:42 pm
Egrus Dam
PiercedPixie2

Ridiculous isnt it? XD

Sure it is xd
Unfortunately the current political situation in Italy is appallingly unbelievable and racists are coming back. EVEN IN MY INTERPRETS UNI!!! stressed How can people talk to someone else in another tongue if they don't even LIKE them??? (luckily they're a minority!)
The concept of "race" itself is ridiculous, because humans have been miscelating amongst themselves for so long that any "race" is no longer "pure", there are only a few common traits.
I instead like very much different people from different countries and some of my best friends are from or were born on them! rofl

Oh yes, there is a site which is a neo-nazi site i know of, and there are all sorts of international forums.

Like Argentina, Portugal, England and Italy =/  

PiercedPixie2
Crew

Egrus Dam

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:11 am
PiercedPixie2

Oh yes, there is a site which is a neo-nazi site i know of, and there are all sorts of international forums.

Like Argentina, Portugal, England and Italy =/

Yeah, but they've been repeatedly harassed by Something Awful and they just blabber about "dah niggas" and "shoot them to death". Repetitive and overrated, stupid rednecks. twisted Making fun of nazis is one of my favourite things blaugh  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:19 pm
In this context.

25c3 hacked websites of the NPD:

Who is who?

25c3 is a congress of hackers which takes place every year in Berlin. The full name is: Chaos Communication Congress. This year several participants hacked the site of the NPD (Nationaldemocratic Party Germany), revealing the most important: informations, passwords of administrative usergroups and users.

The NPD (Nationaldemokratische Partei Deutschland) is quite a funky bunch of far right winged politicians, who want to construct something like a second III Reich (they'd never admit it, but the really want to). Free speech to everyone: Everyone who is NOT from immigrative background and all along with their line (that prevents differences, ya kno?)  

Verderbnis
Crew

Egrus Dam

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:06 am
xd HA! Hackers can be so cool when they want. That will teach them nazis. twisted  
The World Mosaic

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff