Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
International Dance Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:31 pm
Dancing expresses much about a culture, its way of life, and values.

Here are some links for various information. Feel free to relate experiences, share videos, and recommend informative websites.
biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:40 am
Thanks for the Links Brit 3nodding

I'm surprised they dont have Salsa dancing, common in the Caribbean like Puerto Rico and Cuba. Though it's all over Latin America, it's roots are there.

Im not very good at it, but it is something i enjoy!

Watch the intro to Salsa dancing and try it ^^  

PiercedPixie2
Crew

delite delirium

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:12 pm
Klog dancing. :]
Not my favorite but it can be fun at the right times.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:42 pm
Aunt Clara

I really think that is neat
I also love the dress ive seen.

In my state of America, we have Helen, GA
And each year they have Oktoberfest and that is the largest Dutch community here.

[ i would wear these every day ]  

PiercedPixie2
Crew

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:21 pm
I'm actually taking a class in traditional Mexican dancing. We've learned El Tranchete and a couple others thus far.
We don't do it quite this way (for one there are ladies), but the music is the same
And here's a funny version of Los Viejitos We also did that one, but we did it much differently.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:30 pm
PiercedPixie2
Aunt Clara

And each year they have Oktoberfest and that is the largest Dutch community here.

Ah. Oktoberfest is German and Bavarian. I have been to Germany during those times though, as-well as Austria and it's pretty fun. The beer is very good and the food is very unique. Klog dancing happens often in the streets in Amsterdam as an attraction for the tourists, which come by the thousands. I'm surprised they decide to get out of the hash bars and the red light district to see them.

Lederhosen and Beer Stein, Germany, is a great place to be during September.  

delite delirium

Konani Nohea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:54 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-6bdEp-y2A

Song: Fukushima Ondo
Where: Mililani Hongwanji, Oahu - Hawaii, USA
I recorded it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-6bdEp-y2A
Where: Merrie Monarch Festival in Hilo, Hawaii
It is Hula. Though there are some different
'styles' of Hula.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:58 pm
Aunt Clara
PiercedPixie2
Aunt Clara

Ah. Oktoberfest is German and Bavarian. I have been to Germany during those times though, as-well as Austria and it's pretty fun. The beer is very good and the food is very unique. Klog dancing happens often in the streets in Amsterdam as an attraction for the tourists, which come by the thousands. I'm surprised they decide to get out of the hash bars and the red light district to see them.

But they speak Dutch D:
And they sell hand painted clogs
Im so confused XD  

PiercedPixie2
Crew

delite delirium

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:27 am
PiercedPixie2
Aunt Clara
PiercedPixie2
Aunt Clara

But they speak Dutch D:
And they sell hand painted clogs
Im so confused XD

Dutch and German do sound the same sometimes. It might be. If they sell clogs that it probably is.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:13 pm
I love Scottish Highland dancing and Irish stepdancing. They're so much fun to watch.  

GreenEyedDryad

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:27 am
GreenEyedDryad
I love Scottish Highland dancing and Irish stepdancing. They're so much fun to watch.

I never saw much dancing when i went, but there was A LOT of Bagpipes x3  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:28 pm
PiercedPixie2
GreenEyedDryad

I never saw much dancing when i went, but there was A LOT of Bagpipes x3

I think Highland Dancing is now considered a sport more than anything because of all the competitions.

Here are some videos if you're interested:
Kingston
Sword Dance  

GreenEyedDryad

stellacadente

9,600 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:44 pm
So is anybody watching Superstars of Dance?

I love it all, but whoa, the judges!!! They show definite, um, preferences and preconceptions.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:10 pm
-Face Palm-
Normally its the females that do the dancing in our culture. The dance itself usually tells a story so even if a male were to be in it, he'd be the monster or royal king of some sort. But I hated practicing the dance, I hate it with a driving passion. It's incredibly slow, certain steps at an exact distance, those headbands with the heavy headdress, that itchy clothing and dresses they make you wear, all that jewelry you're force to put on, bare foot, and all you basically do is bend your fingers and wrist back and constantly move your arms and hands back and forth but don't you forget, you're doing it all very, VERY, slowly. Not to mention how all our traditional music sound like they're mourning over a lost mother or father!
-Explodes-
I have bad experience with our cultural dancing.
sweatdrop

DaisukeBabi

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:22 pm
DaisukeBabi
-Face Palm-
Normally its the females that do the dancing in our culture. The dance itself usually tells a story so even if a male were to be in it, he'd be the monster or royal king of some sort. But I hated practicing the dance, I hate it with a driving passion. It's incredibly slow, certain steps at an exact distance, those headbands with the heavy headdress, that itchy clothing and dresses they make you wear, all that jewelry you're force to put on, bare foot, and all you basically do is bend your fingers and wrist back and constantly move your arms and hands back and forth but don't you forget, you're doing it all very, VERY, slowly. Not to mention how all our traditional music sound like they're mourning over a lost mother or father!
-Explodes-
I have bad experience with our cultural dancing.
sweatdrop

Haha!

OKay, not many negative opinions on cultural dance.
But with how you describe it, it does seem a bit uncomfortable sweatdrop  
The World Mosaic

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces