Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
What is considered rude in your culture? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:58 pm
Really nothing out of the ordinary is considered 'rude' where i live.
Dont act like an asshat and you're fine x3

When i went to England, i noticed his mom laughed at me since i generally don't use a knife, just a fork for my cutting and eating O__x

And i learned in Japan it is rude to double dip from communal sauce bowels, hehe!

* Discuss what is 'rude' in your culture

* Have you ever been accidentally rude while in another country?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:25 pm
In the Asian culture, it's rude to be rude to your elders. Stuff like that.

=]

LeBookworm

6,650 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250

birdspee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:31 pm
I heard in Japan it's good if you slurp really loudly when you eat ramen, but over here... well in the middle ages it was considered rude to slurp when you eat your soup. =(

I don't really know what's considered rude in Albania and Montenegro... but from what I've seen when I go to people's house and from my mom it's quite rude to my mom and other women if you don't eat something while you're in their house. Kinda. Well they'll pester you to eat something until you do, so you better eat.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:44 pm
I think it applies for the whole world.

Pointing at someone.

And, I find it rude to refuse eating food that has been made already. I also find it rude when people take one bite out of their order at a restaurant, and then send it back and ask for a new one because...I don't know...the temperature's not right or something (one of my sisters is a cook, so I find it simply stupid. You could simply ask for your food to be heated or something).

Luna Amatista

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:04 pm
Luna Amatista

Pointing at someone.

And, I find it rude to refuse eating food that has been made already. I also find it rude when people take one bite out of their order at a restaurant, and then send it back and ask for a new one because...I don't know...the temperature's not right or something (one of my sisters is a cook, so I find it simply stupid. You could simply ask for your food to be heated or something).

Im picky about food in a restaurant, if im paying for it, they will make it the correct way.

If im at someones house, i just eat it and say its good XD  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:17 pm
Seeing as I'm Canadian, pretty much any typical to America being rude would be the same here. For example, not saying excuse me, giving sometone the middle finger, etc.  

lil_miss_aquarius

3,150 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Dressed Up 200

Luna Amatista

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:28 pm
PiercedPixie2
Luna Amatista

Pointing at someone.

Im picky about food in a restaurant, if im paying for it, they will make it the correct way.

If im at someones house, i just eat it and say its good XD

I don't mean to say food that isn't done the right way.
You should always send that one back.
But I've seen people who leave their table or something just when they get served, and they come back and the food is cold and they take a bite and send it back...@_@
I find that annoying.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:29 pm
It's rude to talk about sex, politics or money. It's also generally considered rude to correct people, something that used to get me in trouble a lot. (It was the same with dogs barking and chewing up your shoes; it's so cute when they do it when they're little, but once they're grown, it's just horribly bad manners, and it's hard to unteach them.) Any sort of bodily function is also taboo.

Americans also tend to consider it rude to be disrespectful to your elders, but I don't think it's quite as entrenched in our cultural identity as it is in Asian countries.

It's true, slurping your ramen is good manners in Japan. It's bad manners to point at people with your chopsticks, or to rub them together (to get rid of splinters). It's in horribly bad taste to stick your chopsticks vertically into your rice bowl, or to pass food from one set of chopsticks to another (as both are associated with death and funerary customs).  

shakespearerules

Dapper Warlord

9,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:13 pm
shakespearerules
It's rude to talk about sex, politics or money. It's also generally considered rude to correct people, something that used to get me in trouble a lot. (It was the same with dogs barking and chewing up your shoes; it's so cute when they do it when they're little, but once they're grown, it's just horribly bad manners, and it's hard to unteach them.) Any sort of bodily function is also taboo.

Americans also tend to consider it rude to be disrespectful to your elders, but I don't think it's quite as entrenched in our cultural identity as it is in Asian countries.

It's true, slurping your ramen is good manners in Japan. It's bad manners to point at people with your chopsticks, or to rub them together (to get rid of splinters). It's in horribly bad taste to stick your chopsticks vertically into your rice bowl, or to pass food from one set of chopsticks to another (as both are associated with death and funerary customs).

I know how to use chop sticks ;D  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:19 pm
I don't like it when people don't look at me when I am talking to them.
But I heard in some cultures it can come off as rude or agressive.

Also personal space is like one of my "things". Some cultures have different distances between talking. Basically if someone could think we are about to make out then that is too close. That is my rule of thumb.  

Baron Alberto

Die Ruhe

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:28 pm
My city is composed of two extremes, so it's hard to generalize. Out in the suburb-ish areas and downtown, people use common etiquette more often, so things like boasting, pointing, not saying thank you and such will get you a few bad looks. But then in the mall/shopping section of the city, it's pretty much every man for himself and no one really bothers you so long as you stay out of their space and aren't directly insulting them. Funny thing is, they're all in a pretty tightly centralized area, so the difference between them is really, really noticeable.

I was raised on common etiquette, though. Bodily functions, not holding doors, not saying thank you, boasting, loudness, lack of humility, unfriendliness and such are pretty darned rude to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:55 pm
Well looking some directly in the eyes is disrespectful. Umm no gifts in pairs of 4 or something like that, its bad omen. Always say excuse me when bumping into someone. Be kind to your elders but nowadays its not really the same! Make sure you say yes on the phone every ten seconds.  

Chiharu Yamamoto

-Saphi- Yours Truly

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:36 pm
Here on Puerto Rico rudeness differs on how you were raised. For example...my grandma taught me manners and my parents enforced it so if we go out and I can HEAR you chew ( if you chew like a damn cow...please close it and act as humanly possible ) THAT is rude.

As others have mentioned, bodily functions, talking about politics and religion ( In public where you can get in an unwanted argument with some other fanatic ) And personally if I'm talking to you I would want for you to look at me cause that way I know you are paying attention. If you don't it's like you are not interested and it is rude to lead on.

Thank you abuela for teaching me to be lady like...somewhat lol 8D

EDIT: Oh and when I was over at Dominican Republic we found out that it is not rude if a guy compliments another guys girl. The guy who is with the girl is actually proud cause other men want his woman...over here ( PR ) if you do that you either run or be prepared to fight or die ( Yes men have been killed over that. )

Also I had no idea that the word " guinda " is really rude. I asked why and my cousin said that it's because it somehow refers to the p***s :S That is just confusing. Aaaaand the word " bolsa " is also something you don't want to say cause it refers to the v****a.

I was seriously annoyed cause those are words I use without problem and when I went to visit I had to actually stop myself various times to not offend anyone with what I said.

Augh I'm done, I think I'm talking too much lol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:47 pm
I know in my mom's country, Uruguay, it is rude to not be in the same room as your host. The whole time I was there everyone was in the kitchen around the fireplace watching TV. It was amazing! It is also very rude to not eat something that someone prepared for you. But other than that, it's the same as the USA and other Spanish countries.  

SirRabbit2

tiramisukitty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:21 pm
We were talking about how not to offend other cultures in speech class. Apparently, it's extremely rude to make the "OK" sign (index to thumb) in Brazil; it's the same as flipping someone off. And the thumbs up sign is really bad in Iran.  
The World Mosaic

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff