Welcome to Gaia! ::

The World Mosaic

Back to Guilds

We discuss a variety of things including but not limited to: other cultures, foreign language learning, teaching and conversation. 

Tags: World, Culture, Languages, Foreign, International 

Reply The World Mosaic
Foods of your culture? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:07 pm
I like some food ;D

I live in Georgia, USA and we are the home of soul food, which consists of:

* Black Eyed Peas
* Greens and hamhock
* Chitlins and gravy
* Waffle House ((jk ;3 ))

I really love our food, except Chitlins, that is a pig rectum.

I also love world food, and havent ate something from another culture i did not like, except Haggis, keep that away from me please sweatdrop

* What does your culture make?

* What other regional food you like/dislike?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:12 pm
Well... The most characteristic that exist in most of Brazil are just:
Arroz e feijão - rice and beans
Feijoada - rice and beans boiled with pretty much any meat (usually pork)
Churrasco - Barbecue usually of big pieces of beaf just cooked over a fire with only coarse salt. There are varieties that use spices on it or use a grill, but the normal is that.

I like most of it. Feijoada it depends a lot on what kind of meat is added. If it's too fatty it's not good.  

dreamish

Predestined Hoarder

PiercedPixie2
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:18 pm
dreamish
Well... The most characteristic that exist in most of Brazil are just:
Arroz e feijão - rice and beans
Feijoada - rice and beans boiled with pretty much any meat (usually pork)
Churrasco - Barbecue usually of big pieces of beaf just cooked over a fire with only coarse salt. There are varieties that use spices on it or use a grill, but the normal is that.

I like most of it. Feijoada it depends a lot on what kind of meat is added. If it's too fatty it's not good.

I really want to visit Brazil, i saw a special on your food and things to do in São Paulo ^^

Its an odd city, it seemed that the rich lived amongst those in poverty, is it really like that?  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:42 pm
Woooeeee. We have tons of food but the more traditional are:

A)Arroz con gandules- That is rice with sweet peas. You can combine this with..

B)Pernil- Pork

C)Pastel- Is a mix of smashed vegetables with meat in its center.

---------

Other stuff is: Morcilla- The pigs intestine, which is cleaned then stuffed with cooked rice and the pigs blood. Then you fry it.

It may sound nasty but it is delicious!

Honestly...I love eating so there are not many things that I don't like.

-Saphi- Yours Truly

Britomartis-the-Valiant
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:19 am
Well, we always bake Swiss anise cookies for Christmas and lately my mom has started baking baseler leckerli (Swiss spice cookies) too. We have Birchermuesli on hot summer evenings (it's like muesli, but it's mixed with yogurt and has fresh fruit in it).

Besides that, we eat more typical fare.

Good topic by the way. =D  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:49 am
Well, since I live in the Bay Area of California, fish is accessible. So fish, sushi in particular, play a huge role in my diet. And since there's so many Asians in California, there's Tapioca Express franchises everywhere! So tapioca/pearl drinks are pretty popular.

As for my "culture," I don't really eat fancy cultural food unless if I'm with family. Usually some wheat bread, pasta, and fruits do it for me.  

HuoXingC

2,550 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250

Konani Nohea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:33 am
Foods from hawaii:

*Loco Moco
*Spam Musubi
*Poi
----

I like ...Pizza. xD

Even though I'm Japanese, I'm not so fond of many Japanese foods.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:22 am
I am from an Ashkenazi (Central/Eastern European-Jewish) family; the Ashkenazi cuisine is considered as sweet and heavy, that is widely influenced by its European surrounding.
My favourite dishes are,
• Latkes
• Bliny
• Cabbage Borscht

I generally adore the Hungarian cuisine.  

Einllikoach
Crew

KuraiTsuki

3,100 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:07 am
    Well, I'm from Illinois in the US. I don't think we really have any regional food... Not any that I can think, of at least. xD; We have a lot of corn... xD;

But, I'm either 1/4 or 1/8 Irish. I can't remember which. o.o; So... some good foods from there that I've had are:
    Corned Beef and Cabbage (My grandma makes it a lot x3)
    Potatoes? xD;

Yeeeeah... >.>;

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:38 am
Einllikoach
I am from an Ashkenazi (Central/Eastern European-Jewish) family; the Ashkenazi cuisine is considered as sweet and heavy, that is widely influenced by its European surrounding.
My favourite dishes are,
• Latkes
• Bliny
• Cabbage Borscht

I generally adore the Hungarian cuisine.

Latkes - potato pancakes correct?
All of your latke's will belong to me ;]
I like them with ketchup!  

PiercedPixie2
Crew

Ankaret

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:40 am
hmmm,
well, I live in England.
Our food pretty much sucks...
I don't think we're really famous for any sort of food..except fish and chips...which isn't really much to be proud of lol Scones maybe?
I agree, haggis is disgusting. I've never had it but I've seen it in the butchers...ewwwww!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:06 am
I'm Sri Lankan and were know for some of the hottest curries in the world. I love lamb, potato, chicken, fish, and beef curry, string hoppers and regular hoppers, and mangos (i know you can get them anywhere, but they have a special place in my heart).
I don't like the sambols because they're a bit too spicy for me, and the chutnies are too sweet.  

tiramisukitty

Die Ruhe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:10 pm
California has...fast food? x_X; Someone told me once that So. Cal. is one of the biggest melting pots in either the world or the US, so we really do have a little bit of everything. I guess you could say Mexican food is the regional food because we're so close, but half the stuff we have here isn't actually real Mexican food. It's also not uncommon to find Italian, Chinese, Mexican, and Indian restaurants lined up next to an Irish Pub and a hot dog or hamburger joint all on one street.

As for my family, we've cooked everything from enchiladas to Sheppard's pie, so I can't say we really have any food traditions. Just whatever sounds good at the moment.
=3

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:18 pm
Die Ruhe
California has...fast food? x_X; Someone told me once that So. Cal. is one of the biggest melting pots in either the world or the US, so we really do have a little bit of everything. I guess you could say Mexican food is the regional food because we're so close, but half the stuff we have here isn't actually real Mexican food. It's also not uncommon to find Italian, Chinese, Mexican, and Indian restaurants lined up next to an Irish Pub and a hot dog or hamburger joint all on one street.

As for my family, we've cooked everything from enchiladas to Sheppard's pie, so I can't say we really have any food traditions. Just whatever sounds good at the moment.
=3

California eh? Well I'll tell you what southerners have heard, that you guys have like...fish taco stands, is that true? XD  

PiercedPixie2
Crew

Die Ruhe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:59 pm
PiercedPixie2
Die Ruhe

=3

California eh? Well I'll tell you what southerners have heard, that you guys have like...fish taco stands, is that true? XD

Maybe at like, carnivals and stuff, stand wise.
But you can get fish tacos at pretty much any 'Mexican' restaurant here.
Except Taco Bell, I think.
xD;

The World Mosaic

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas