Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Don't forget to read the rules!
  Polls are required in every thread. (:
View Results

Dame a la Powell Estate_x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:20 pm
Hey! I started this thread, not to bash either characters since they both are very well thought-out, the acting is great and I'm sure both Billie Piper & Freema Agyeman are nice people. I've started this, so I could get some insight on what other fans thought. I've seen a lot of youtube videos or fanfictions that are just riddled with rude comments about both characters, but that is not what this is about. Please put something other then who you like better, try to explain it without being completely and totally rude to the other character. A tid-bit of rudeness is allowed, but don't go overboard.

Personally, I like Rose better then Martha because she seemed to kind of complete the Doctor. She was there through his regeneration and she still stayed with him, she continued to love him. The Doctor changed her a bit and she became more technologically capable, she became more aware of her world. I do think that she changed him too and though he'd hate to hear it, I think she even made him a bit more domestic. They were truely in love and if you couldn't see that from the ending of Doomsday, you're truely blind.

The reason I'm not a fan of Martha is three things. Number one, she took over after Rose. You could have put the nicest, sweetest character played by my favorite actress in there, and I still wouldn't have liked her for the simple fact that she wasn't Rose. Number two, she fell in love with the Doctor in 0.5 seconds. I believe that what she has is a crush, but she just keep stressing that it's more and it becomes quite annoying. Number three, she doesn't really get the relationship that Rose and the Doctor had. I'm not blaming her either, since no one would unless they saw the two of them together, but the least she could do was be a bit sympathetic. She just kept trying to push even the memory of Rose from the picture.

So there are my reasons, I can't wait to hear what you guys have to say! biggrin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:13 am
Personally, I don't much like either of them. Series one Rose was okay, but by series two she was a self-centered, immature, annoying brat. She didn't love the Doctor - she was enamoured by his image and his lifestyle. And he didn't love her, but I might believe she was a bit special to Nine. She came at a point in his life when he needed some outside contact, and she provided that; she justified him, and I think in a way he loved her for that. But he didn't love her in a romantic sense. She and Ten just... didn't work at ALL. They were a disaster.
Martha, on the other hand, was just a boring version of Rose plus brains. They came from exactly the same equation and so she brought nothing new to the show. Her character was never developed and her little crush on the Doctor came out of nowhere.

The thing about Rose that really bothered me was how the writers kept trying to press the idea of a romance between her and the Doctor, and that's just silly. I didn't get that from them at all. There have been companions in the past that the Doctor has really cared about and possibly even loved - Jamie, Romana, Sarah Jane - but Rose is not one of them.  

Muskratio

Captain

Hygienic Guildsman

xXMiss_Wolfy_WhoXx

Friendly Werewolf

6,150 Points
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:46 am
I perfer Rose because billie was a better actress then freema and her charter was very intrestin' and had nice style  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:00 am
I think I prefer Rose.
Martha had her ups and downs; she was smarter than Rose, but maybe just a teensy bit less brave.
Rose, however, I absolutely loved. I thought she was courageous, pretty, capable, and, well.....she was like a puzzle piece with the Doctor. It was unthinkable to think of them seperated, but when it happened, I cried like a newborn baby. sweatdrop
And you're right, anyone, ANYONE after Rose would have not have fully compared, so Martha was at a disadvantage to begin with.
I love both of them, I just love Rose a bit more.  

Dalek13

Fleeples

Lonely Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:31 am
While I am judging this on the I think it's... four Martha episodes I've seen? But I agree, nobody compares to Rose. As you say, I'm sure Freda is a great actress and she is, but the Rose/Ten relationship... wow.

I loved the last episode of the series... as much as I was upset by it, it was just... yeah.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:57 am

I’m a very easy going person, so I don’t really have many opinions on things that often. So I would have to say I like Rose and Martha both, maybe Rose a bit higher then Martha though. When I heard that Billie was leaving, I instantly thought that I wasn’t going to like the Doctor’s new companion, but it turns out I didn’t, like a lot of things.

I cried a bit at the end when Rose left too. It was so sad.

RiiBBON

Dapper Dabbler

Secret_Seelie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:03 pm
My preference is for Rose. Billie piper is great! Frema's character would have been a lot better had she had not become enamored with the Doctor. After the Shakspear episode I thought I could accept her replacing Rose, But then she started becoming more and more like Rose than her own character. For me, the show just hasn't been the same since Piper's departure. I want her back! crying  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:59 pm
Rose!!

Martha's just...I dunno.
she seems annoying to me.

CHASING POLAR BEARS

Raevyn_Angel

9,575 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Consumer 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:10 pm
If I could only choose one or the other, I'd have to choose Rose.

Martha got better towards the end of season 3, but most of the season I wanted to hit her.

Not necessarily Freema's fault, more the writers. I'm hoping she gets better.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:19 pm
Wow, apparently I'm in the minority. That's okay, though. People are allowed to have varying opinions. It makes life that much more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Rose for the most part, but a lot of the time I felt like she was acting out some sort of self-centred adolescent fantasy. I mean, she up and left her mum and Mickey without much thought, and she continued to do so throughout both series. She was rash and wreckless (case in point: Father's Day), often times putting her own thoughts before that of anyone else's- even the Doctor's. I suppose in a way I admired her strong will, but there were certain times when just listening to the Doctor would have saved everyone involved from a huge world of hurt. (Then again I suppose that would have made for boring television. *shrug*)

I felt a certain degree of sympathy for Martha straight from the beginning. She was a replacement, and she knew it. Her initial attraction to the Doctor was not merely a physical one, from my perspective, but an intellectual and challenging one as well. That it grew so quickly was perhaps a little surprising, but not wholly unexpected. Aside from all of that, I adore Martha for her wit, intelligence and sheer moxy. Although she had no idea what was going on some of the time, she could stand toe to toe with the Doctor and often times help him in a way that Rose would never have been capable.

And, okay, yeah, even though I'm a woman too- Freema's HOT! heart Squee, Torchwood & Series Four!

/two cents  

RainbowWisher

6,050 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200

Muskratio

Captain

Hygienic Guildsman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:31 pm
RainbowWisher
...but a lot of the time I felt like she was acting out some sort of self-centred adolescent fantasy.

That's a great way of putting it. I totally agree. : D  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:44 pm
I like Rose much more because when it comes to Martha, she wants the Doctor more than a friend but when it was with Rose it wasn't more subtle and not so in your face like Martha and the way they had the Doctor and Rose interact it was more believable then it is with Martha. sweatdrop Sorry if it doesn't make that much sense but I swear it does to me LOL.  

Spidrei

Dangerous Kitten

CHASING POLAR BEARS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:58 pm
Spidrei
I like Rose much more because when it comes to Martha, she wants the Doctor more than a friend but when it was with Rose it wasn't more subtle and not so in your face like Martha and the way they had the Doctor and Rose interact it was more believable then it is with Martha. sweatdrop Sorry if it doesn't make that much sense but I swear it does to me LOL.

no it makes sense to me 3nodding
thats exactly it!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:30 pm
i H-A-T-E-D rose at first coz i was a dumb obsessed 10 fangirl sweatdrop but she grew on me and at the end i was like oh no! come back! because billie was a fantastic actress i guess i was just jelouse and when freema started i really identified with her as the replacement that could never be rose and could'nt have the doctor and how he would look at her and see rose. i have had things like that happen to me all my life so i was like aww martha *hugs* so i like them both but martha slightly more lol 3nodding  

x-Rude-and-not-ginger-x

Amata19

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:57 pm
RainbowWisher
Wow, apparently I'm in the minority. That's okay, though. People are allowed to have varying opinions. It makes life that much more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Rose for the most part, but a lot of the time I felt like she was acting out some sort of self-centred adolescent fantasy. I mean, she up and left her mum and Mickey without much thought, and she continued to do so throughout both series. She was rash and wreckless (case in point: Father's Day), often times putting her own thoughts before that of anyone else's- even the Doctor's. I suppose in a way I admired her strong will, but there were certain times when just listening to the Doctor would have saved everyone involved from a huge world of hurt. (Then again I suppose that would have made for boring television. *shrug*)

I felt a certain degree of sympathy for Martha straight from the beginning. She was a replacement, and she knew it. Her initial attraction to the Doctor was not merely a physical one, from my perspective, but an intellectual and challenging one as well. That it grew so quickly was perhaps a little surprising, but not wholly unexpected. Aside from all of that, I adore Martha for her wit, intelligence and sheer moxy. Although she had no idea what was going on some of the time, she could stand toe to toe with the Doctor and often times help him in a way that Rose would never have been capable.

And, okay, yeah, even though I'm a woman too- Freema's HOT! heart Squee, Torchwood & Series Four!

/two cents

Thank you! I was starting to worry I would be the only one here who didn't like Rose.

I prefered Martha, because she was actually a useful companion, as random as her "love" for the Doctor was. But I think she didn't really get a chance, she was always living in Rose's shadow, in both the show and outside of it because of the fans.

Meh, I hope they do it different with the next series, because otherwise every companion the Doctor gets is just gonna be another "replacement."  
When I Say Run - A Doctor Who Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff