Welcome to Gaia! ::

Debate/Discuss Religion

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to discussing and debating different aspects of various world religions 

Tags: religion, faith, tolerance, discuss, debate 

Reply Debate/Discuss other belief systems
Hinduism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

divineseraph

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:06 pm
Hindu is a very, very complex religion. It's not like Christianity, where sects vary based on technical rules or understandings of dogma. Some Hindus are polytheists, some are henotheistic, some are even atheistic or agnostic but still believe in the overarching metaphysics and principles. There are millions of gods for just about everything in existence.

My preferred understanding is that it is essentially animist- Everything is influenced by Karma, which is more of a flowing energy than a retribution thing. There are spirits (or gods) for rivers, mountains, animals, what have you. Everything has that divine spark. There are three main aspects- Brahma, of creation, Shiva of destruction, and Vishnu of preservation or continuation, which we see in reality- Birth, life, and death in a cycle.

These are all aspects of reality, but the true "God" of Hindu, as a Christian or Jew or Muslim would know God would be Brahman. It is the truth behind truth, the light behind light. It is absolute, transcendent truth, and is everything.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:06 am
divineseraph
There are three main aspects- Brahma, of creation, Shiva of destruction, and Vishnu of preservation or continuation, which we see in reality- Birth, life, and death in a cycle.

These are all aspects of reality, but the true "God" of Hindu, as a Christian or Jew or Muslim would know God would be Brahman. It is the truth behind truth, the light behind light. It is absolute, transcendent truth, and is everything.

I'm not so certain(see the bolded):
As you yourself just pointed out, Brahma is Creation.
However, God of the One Faith(s), is also continuation, the ever-present care and love.
This would point just as much, or even more, towards Vishnu.
Not to mention the fact that The One has allegedly (in the bible) shown to be capable of destruction as well, despite that some think that destruction is the property of the devil alone ....

So, as i see it, the God of the One Faith(s), is really closer to a blend of all the three main aspects of reality, rather than creation only.  

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

Lateralus es Helica

6,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:59 pm
Tiina Brown
divineseraph
There are three main aspects- Brahma, of creation, Shiva of destruction, and Vishnu of preservation or continuation, which we see in reality- Birth, life, and death in a cycle.

However, God of the One Faith(s), is also continuation, the ever-present care and love.
Not to mention the fact that The One has allegedly (in the bible) shown to be capable of destruction as well, despite that some think that destruction is the property of the devil alone ....

So, as i see it, the God of the One Faith(s), is really closer to a blend of all the three main aspects of reality, rather than creation only.

From the Upanishads:

Quote:
May we also know the One, who is the highest imperishable Brahman...

Quote:
If thou thinkest "I know It well," then it is certain that thou knowest but little of Brahman, or in what form He resideth in the Devas

The Devas are all the plethora of Gods that are actually minor deities, aspects of Brahman. Part of the problem is of course the translation of sanskrit into English but Divine had it right, Brahman is the One, the Absolute, he's the closest you come to the Abrahamic God.

It gets confusing because Brahma is one of those aspects, but not the same as Brahman. As wikipedia says on Brahma:

Quote:
Brahma is the Hindu god (deva) of creation and one of the Trimurti, the others being Vishnu and Shiva. According to the Brahma Purana, he is the father of Mānu, and from Mānu all human beings are descended. In the Ramayana and the Mahābhārata, he is often referred to as the progenitor or great grandsire of all human beings. He is not to be confused with the Supreme Cosmic Spirit in Hindu Vedānta philosophy known as Brahman, which is genderless.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:36 am
Lateralus es Helica
Tiina Brown
divineseraph

From the Upanishads:
Quote:

Quote:
If thou thinkest "I know It well," then it is certain that thou knowest but little of Brahman, or in what form He resideth in the Devas

The Devas are all the plethora of Gods that are actually minor deities, aspects of Brahman. Part of the problem is of course the translation of sanskrit into English but Divine had it right, Brahman is the One, the Absolute, he's the closest you come to the Abrahamic God.

It gets confusing because Brahma is one of those aspects, but not the same as Brahman. As wikipedia says on Brahma:
Quote:
Brahma is the Hindu god (deva) of creation and one of the Trimurti, the others being Vishnu and Shiva. According to the Brahma Purana, he is the father of Mānu, and from Mānu all human beings are descended. In the Ramayana and the Mahābhārata, he is often referred to as the progenitor or great grandsire of all human beings. He is not to be confused with the Supreme Cosmic Spirit in Hindu Vedānta philosophy known as Brahman, which is genderless.

Ah, so the One God may be the same as Brahman, but not Brahma ........
That's a .... wierd translation problem ....  

Tiina Brown

Friendly Sentai

Lateralus es Helica

6,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:22 am
Tiina Brown
Lateralus es Helica
Tiina Brown
divineseraph

From the Upanishads:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ah, so the One God may be the same as Brahman, but not Brahma ........
That's a .... wierd translation problem ....

I'm not positive but I think it was because Brahma was the first of the Trimurti and Devas...hence the similarity in names.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:54 pm
Tiina Brown
divineseraph

Exactly. The Abrahamic God is a parallel (I.E., the same thing as) Brahman in that it extends through all things, makes all things, is the destruction of all things, and is all things.

The Brahman is the All, the combination of the spiritual and physical. In a monotheistic system, the god (of any name) is the All. Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma are all aspects of the All, the All is Brahman and YHWH and Aton and any other name for the same thing.  

divineseraph

The New Wineskin

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:19 pm
Hinduism is... complicated.

It is a believe that a following of caste responsibilities will lead to good karma which will move you up the social ladder when you are reborn. Once you become a brahmin, or priest, if you follow your dharma, you will be released from the wheel of life and merge your soul with the Great World Soul, or Brahman. Brahman is a single deity as well as the entire world and all within it manifested into several or infinite forms and deities, each representing a part of the Great World Soul.

Basically, Hinudism is pantheistic, monotheistic, and polytheistic. Wonderful.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:21 pm
The New Wineskin

It is a believe that a following of caste responsibilities will lead to good karma which will move you up the social ladder when you are reborn. Once you become a brahmin, or priest, if you follow your dharma, you will be released from the wheel of life and merge your soul with the Great World Soul, or Brahman. Brahman is a single deity as well as the entire world and all within it manifested into several or infinite forms and deities, each representing a part of the Great World Soul.

you have no idea what you are talking about. confused

Brahman is not a deity, it is the Infinite, Omnipresent force of Divinity -- kinda like Allah, but completely impersonal. Brahma is the God of Creation, the progenitor of the Human Race. Brahma is distinct from Brahman.

furthermore, Hinduism is distinct from Brahmanism, which predates it. the Brahmans are a completely different animal than the Hindus. Hinduism itself is also only an umbrella term for hundreds of thousands of different religions which follow the teachings of the Upanishads, Vedas, Puranas and the Bhagavad Gita.

there is a concept in Hinduism called Atman, which means that all the Gods are aspects or incarnations of Brahman.  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

The New Wineskin

Beloved Regular

8,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:57 pm
Chieftain Twilight
The New Wineskin

Brahman is not a deity, it is the Infinite, Omnipresent force of Divinity -- kinda like Allah, but completely impersonal. Brahma is the God of Creation, the progenitor of the Human Race. Brahma is distinct from Brahman.

furthermore, Hinduism is distinct from Brahmanism, which predates it. the Brahmans are a completely different animal than the Hindus. Hinduism itself is also only an umbrella term for hundreds of thousands of different religions which follow the teachings of the Upanishads, Vedas, Puranas and the Bhagavad Gita.

there is a concept in Hinduism called Atman, which means that all the Gods are aspects or incarnations of Brahman.

Wow, I wrote that three years ago. I completely forgot about it. Cool deal.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:17 pm
The New Wineskin
Chieftain Twilight
The New Wineskin

Wow, I wrote that three years ago. I completely forgot about it. Cool deal.

wow, guilds have way looser forum rules than the forums. sweatdrop  

Chieftain Twilight

Loyal Rogue

14,550 Points
  • Full closet 200
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Elocutionist 200

bleach aftertaste

Nuclear Capitalist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:41 am
DeathAnimeNow
brainnsoup
So I'm trying to farmiliarize myself with many different religions and I realize that I know almost nothing about Hinduism.
I want to learn more about it, but I don't even know where to start.
I was wondering if anyone who's sturied Hinduism or grown up with it could maybe post a link to a reliable site that will give information I can trust?
Or if anyone can post some basic information on the fundamentals of the religion?

Anything helps me out a lot. (:

Also, there is a book by Huston Smith called "The World's Religions" that is very insightful for one wanting to learn about Hinduism and many other religions. The Bhagavita Gita is a wonderful read, but it does well to have a basic understanding before trying to read it.

There is one edition of Bhagavad Gita that is written for those who don't know much... The purports are very clear and direct... One of my favourite recommendations is Science of Self Realization you can find these books here + many more here at vedabase.

I have been practicing Vaisnavism (a branch of Hinduism) for the last 8 years and have never needed to look elsewhere since. This philosophy answered every question I had and didn't have.  
Debate/Discuss other belief systems

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff