Welcome to Gaia! ::

Movie Viewers Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for discussing the wonderful films we love to watch. 

Tags: Movie, Film, Actors, Directors, Viewer 

Reply Movie Viewers Guild
Last Movie You Watched Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 13 14 15 16 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LillLazaru5

Dangerous Noob

7,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:10 pm
Mildred Pierce.

A movie made in 1945. Wow! Excellent movie! Why was it excellent you ask? Even at it's old age, there are many issues about life that most of us can relate to today (except for the ending, which has surprised me completely)! Joan Crawford at her best.

4.5/5

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:00 am
To 3Amaranth13: Actually, if you like gloomy settings like that, check out The Road. A Feast for the eyes!

It's Kind Of A Funny Story
...mehhh. Wasn't very impressed.
And, I'm not a fan on teenager romance, so that was definitely a
downer for me.
2/5

True Grit
I'm starting to think something's wrong with me.
Everyone seems amazed by this but... it was just okay for me.
I wanted to know more about Matt Damon's character, but he wasn't much in the story.
And I felt like something was missing in this. Not sure what.
3/5

LEECHGUY789

Shameless Noob

LillLazaru5

Dangerous Noob

7,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:35 am
To Tear-Ruh: I shall take that recommendation and watch it someday. Now, I've been way too moody for sad movies. XD

Cat People

Not the "remake", but the original 1942 film. I've watched this movie a thousand times, but I shall review it.
It's a pretty good film. The acting is good, the atmosphere works well with the plot, and the plot seems ridiculous; however, it actually works for the film! The best part of the film was the cast. They seemed perfect for their roles. I was very surprised that it was low budget (or so TCM claims) and was supposed to be consider a B-movie. It's so much better than any B-movie I've ever seen, that's for sure! It's one of my personal favorite classic film. I'd recommend it to people who love these kinds of films as much as do. If you don't, the movie may be old, but keep an open mind.

4/5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:10 pm

LEECHGUY789

Shameless Noob

Griffin3

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:49 pm
Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace (7.5/10)
Star Wars - Episode II: Attack of the Clones (8/10)
Star Wars - Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (9.5/10)
Star Wars - Episode IV: A New Hope (9.5/10)
Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (9.5/10)
Star Wars - Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (9.5/10)

I've recently watched these films after being released on Blu-Ray. I grew up enjoying these films and seeing them all again always makes me feel like a kid again, weather it be on VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, etc.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:57 am
The Snake Pit

Made in 1948 about a woman sent to a mental institution. Based on an autobiography by Mary Jane Ward.
This movie may be dated in the way of how mental institutions treated the patients, and of how mental illness is treated, but the psychological impact is timeless. I can see why. Olivia de Havilland plays the main character, Virginia Cunningham, who is sent to a mental institution after suffering from a nervous breakdown. She performed in the most believable way for her character (as she had actually researched mental institutions and mental patients before filming), and it earned her a well-deserved Oscar nomination. She deserved that nomination; her performance gives me chills at some points, and the other patients were just as chilling and believable. I was able to see her progress of becoming more unstable, as well as her progress of getting better.
I recommend this movie to those who would like to study mental illness and mental institutions in the 40's. This is a very well-made film.

4.5/5

LillLazaru5

Dangerous Noob

7,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100

LillLazaru5

Dangerous Noob

7,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:32 pm
The Spiral Staircase

Made in 1946. The plot is about a mute woman named Helen who serves in a mansion where a killer lives among those who live there.
This is the second time I've seen this film, and I'm glad I saw it again. The woman who played Helen did a fantastic job, even though she had a few lines. The atmosphere and cinematography is what really sticks out in this film. The suspense just killed me, and it made me hooked to the film. The ending was very very surprising on who the killer was.
Great great film. Highly recommended if you're in for suspense or just for the love of a classic film.

4.5/5

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:49 pm
Curse of the Cat People

The unrelated sequel to Cat People made in 1944.

This film may not be a horror movie like the first, but still has some atmospheric scares. This movie is about Amy, the daughter of the two main other characters from the film, and she makes friends with an old actress and the spirit of someone unexpected.
This is considered as more of a psychological mystery than anything else, but truly no genre can truly define the film. The cast, like in Cat People, was indeed divine. The characters were very intriguing, especially the old actress and her "daughter." Her daughter's expressionless, cat-like face and her desperate for her mother's love makes her a very fascinating character.

If you're a fan of the first movie, don't watch it to expect some scares, but watch it for what it is. It may be different, but the horrors presented in the film are all for intrepretation.

4/5

LillLazaru5

Dangerous Noob

7,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100

Gothic Muffin of Doom

Dangerous Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:53 pm
Bunraku.
It's Josh Hartnett and Gackt movie I've been looking forward to. and it was great
someone on IMDB.com
In a world with no guns, a mysterious drifter, a bartender and a young samurai plot revenge against a ruthless leader and his army of thugs, headed by nine diverse and deadly assassins.

I mainly watched it for Gackt, but it was cool overall, if you like action type movies and over stylized scenes.

trailer  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:48 pm
High Fidelity

It had a few chuckles and wasn't romantic enough to make me turn it off halfway through [I'm not much on romantic comedies]. If you're a person who can appreciate an obsession with music and an honest character who isn't exactly the most lovable of Romeos, I would recommend this movie.

3.8/5.

Mother Molly

Destitute Faun

34,240 Points
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Budding Witch 250

LEECHGUY789

Shameless Noob

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:07 am
Yikes. I completely forgot about this guild. At least I'm not the only who has. I think Bijoux is gone for good. Which is a shame, because I like to go somewhere every once and a while and fume about movies. But if she doesn't show up by the end of March, I'm calling quits on this guild. That and I kinda fell out of my craze with movies. The popular ones get on my nerves, and I just feel like TV shows are better -- hello, ongoing plot.

Anywho, I've seen many movies since September. Most are not worth mentioning. Saw a few or more good ones.

I feel like reviewing Mary and Max again. I just love this film so much, it sometimes reminds me of myself and troubles of meeting new people and making new friends. Sure, I don't quite have a condition like Max, but it still strikes some understanding. It may not be the best movie, as for I kinda dislike it when films have narration in them, but it's so heartwarming. The characters are people you can relate to... well, I can at least. Perhaps I'm just a weirdo. And I just love it's bluntness, truth, and darkness. It's definitely one of my favourite movies. 5/5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:42 pm
Sucker Punch

Made in 2011 and directed by Zack Snyder.

This movie has a very good idea, and a lot of potential, but I can see why it was poorly recieved. The story had much meaning to it and is ambiguous in meaning, but it was very hard to follow at times. The acting was very poor, and it really just didn't make the characters believable enough. They should've had better actors to play with the story. The dialogue was a little cheesy too, as if it were a kid's movie when it truly wasn't.
The only good things I can really say about the movie was the cinematography and the special effects. They were fantastic.

So it's just one of those movies that had a great idea, but was poorly executed.

2.5/5

LillLazaru5

Dangerous Noob

7,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100

LillLazaru5

Dangerous Noob

7,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:40 pm
Repulsion

Made in 1965. Directed by Roman Polanski (One of my favorite directors).

Hooooly s**t. Pardon my language, but this film... wow. This movie was one the scariest films I've seen in a very long time, but I couldn't keep my eyes off of it.

The movie was not scariest like jumping at you kind of scares (though, there are some parts of that). The cinematography and atmosphere is what really brought in the horror. The main actress also does a really good job; I was very impressed with her ability to bring such a character to life.
What made it truly scary though was the unpredictability. There are some scenes that suddenly happen or jump at you. Like, I was expecting something to happen, but then something completely different happened and it made my heart beat rapidly for quite some time. Then came the ending, and that was unexpected.

If you love atmospheric horror, this movie is A MUST!! I can't guarantee it will scare you (because everyone reacts to things differently), but it is still worth a watch. The only problem is that it's a bit slow in the beginning, but other than that, great movie.

5/5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:37 pm
wahmbulance TWO MOVIES IN ONE wahmbulance

Doctor Zhivago

Made in 1965. Directed by David Lean.

This is one movie that had me petrified for weeks, and not because it's scary (because it isn't), but it's absolutely beautiful. The musical score, the cinematography, the writing, and the acting all blend together to make a very well done film. See for yourself; I can't explain more than that.

5/5

Fanny and Alexander

Made in 1982. Directed by Ingmar Bergman.

This movie may be the longest I've seen in a long time, but it's most definitely worth it. The characters are what intrigued me the most, as well as the cinematography. There are some moments in the movie where I actually cringed, and moments where I couldn't look away. Even when I watch this movie a million times, it still gets to me. This is my second favorite Ingmar Bergman film (other than Persona). This is very much one of his very best.

5/5

LillLazaru5

Dangerous Noob

7,750 Points
  • Timid 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Member 100

durpz1

9,375 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200