Welcome to Gaia! ::

Invisible Citizen

I wanted to know what it would take, so I asked.

User Image

Perfect Saint

It was a nice post, but what does it mean?

Desirable Cat

I'm still trying to understand what he meant by... "and it would unconscionable in these economic times to try and demand that users give more and more and more."
Did he typo or am I just not that savvy enough to understand his meaning..? ._.;;

Edit: Is unconscionable even a real word? DX -Flounders in her ignorance.-

Edit x2: "un·con·scion·a·ble   [uhn-kon-shuh-nuh-buhl] Show IPA
adjective
not guided by conscience; unscrupulous.
not in accordance with what is just or reasonable: unconscionable behavior.
excessive; extortionate: an unconscionable profit."

Hmm. That word still sounds awkwardly placed to me.... ._.; I suppose it makes a bit of sense though.

Relentless Glitch

Nissa chan
I'm still trying to understand what he meant by... "and it would unconscionable in these economic times to try and demand that users give more and more and more."
Did he typo or am I just not that savvy enough to understand his meaning..? ._.;;

Here you go.
1. Not right or reasonable: "the unconscionable conduct of his son".
2. Unreasonably excessive: "shareholders have had to wait an unconscionable time for the facts to be established".

Questionable Genius

My point was made: We may be able to save the game, they acknowledge this, but they aren't willing to let us TRY.

*sigh* I'm about to give up. All this "we tried all avenues to save the game" are bullshit if they aren't willing to try ANYTHING to save the game.

Invisible Citizen

I think he means that, though our efforts have been formidable, it would require the same formidable effort from a much larger, and growing, number of users to convince HQ that zOMG is worth it.

Edit: I think he's also wrong about new players needing to come from off-site. There are so many existing Gaians who tried zOMG, found it too buggy, and stopped playing. If there were incentives to play earlier areas, like farming for alchemy components, so many more people would play more regularly. This was demonstrated when the Golden Magical Giftbox formulas came out requiring VG loot.

Desirable Cat

Natsumi Kawahama
Nissa chan

Here you go.
1. Not right or reasonable: "the unconscionable conduct of his son".
2. Unreasonably excessive: "shareholders have had to wait an unconscionable time for the facts to be established".
I sort of figured based on the tone/topic of what he was trying to say... XP It just sounds so damn awkward though. Learned something new though. Whoo...

Rainbow Hunter

I think his point is that a game should be profitable WITHOUT having to depend on charity.

And quite frankly, he has a point.

It's wonderful and admirable how many people in this community are willing to *donate* to make the game survive - but that is not what a game should depend on.
A game should be profitable because people want to buy the items for the sake of the items, not for the sake of giving money.

Time-traveling Marshmallow

32,700 Points
  • Senpai's Notice 100
  • NPCon Attendee 100
  • Beta Gaian 0
Mademoiselle Kit
My point was made: We may be able to save the game, they acknowledge this, but they aren't willing to let us TRY.

*sigh* I'm about to give up. All this "we tried all avenues to save the game" are bullshit if they aren't willing to try ANYTHING to save the game.

the thing is, we already know this. why was it last year we were fighting for zomg? he merely made the faq in this forum because of a sf thread that pointed out the lack of communication between users and hq. he said back then that zomg is fine. and now this is the exact same fluff we are being told once again. can the users save zomg? or is our actions to save zomg a lie just like how it has been now???? -_- seriously, all of hq needs to have a pow wow and make up their minds. users are already leaving this site and also a lot of us (maybe) have lost faith in hq. this is still the same mess as it has been before the weekend. /rant

Newbie Noob

Alexander Grave
biglanky14
Should I keep playing zOMG?
Like anything, you should play and/or support zOMG to the extent that it’s fun for you to do so. Even if we never do anything with it again, it’s still a fun game, and if you’re enjoying it, then we’re happy. And if you’re not and never play it again, we totally understand.

This made me feel really bad when i read it... sweatdrop

Made me just give up ..he he sweatdrop

IKR? I never even got a chance to play the "fountain game" or the "goof course" because I was still trying to figure out how to play the mainstream quests involved. It really was such a disappointment when I found out they decided to discontinue those places right around the time I first started playing zOMG! I know they had glitches/bugs that were never fixed, but discontinuing it shouldn't have been the answer either. rolleyes

I never got the chance to post this. So I would like to post it here. Thanks. It was just something I remembered after rereading the comment made by biglanky14.

Bitchboots's Prince

Girl-Crazy Man-Lover

Was just about to reply to him when they killed AtA.

Anyway, my biggest issue with what they want out of zOMG: new users. The problem being that zOMG is mired in now-defunct/AU plot from 2007/8. New users just won't understand anything about the game. It isn't MADE to attract non-Gaians.

And yet, the lack of new blood is what killed it? How can we possibly fulfill what the staff wants out of zOMG, when the platform was never geared to do what they want?

No wonder they're kicking zOMG out in favor of their new Facebook "High Fantasy" baby.

Greedy Prophet

baby_kitty_258
Alexander Grave
biglanky14
Should I keep playing zOMG?
Like anything, you should play and/or support zOMG to the extent that it’s fun for you to do so. Even if we never do anything with it again, it’s still a fun game, and if you’re enjoying it, then we’re happy. And if you’re not and never play it again, we totally understand.

This made me feel really bad when i read it... sweatdrop

Made me just give up ..he he sweatdrop

IKR? I never even got a chance to play the "fountain game" or the "goof course" because I was still trying to figure out how to play the mainstream quests involved. It really was such a disappointment when I found out they decided to discontinue those places right around the time I first started playing zOMG! I know they had glitches/bugs that were never fixed, but discontinuing it shouldn't have been the answer either. rolleyes

I never got the chance to post this. So I would like to post it here. Thanks. It was just something I remembered after rereading the comment made by biglanky14.

yeah...and i came back to gaia after a long hiatus just for zOMG sweatdrop

the news felt like a slap to the face

Benevolent Codger

Mademoiselle Kit

You're right; I don't doubt in the least that the community could 'save' the game again, given the opportunity. But what would it really be worth, do you think? The game has never made any progress, without the community carrying it there; it's never walked on its own legs. Does that really sound to you like the healthy game that we all know zOMG! deserves to be?

The game won't thrive until it's strong enough to thrive. It won't grow strong by us carrying it. zOMG! has the potential to be good game, but we have to stop depriving it of opportunities to become so. The fact is, zOMG! needs change. Allowing the community to preserve the game every time it faces adversity only stunts its growth. It's never easy to hear, I'm afraid; but I believe the time has come for us to stop 'saving' zOMG!, and to start looking for ways that it can save itself...

Benevolent Codger

MistressMinako

Anyway, my biggest issue with what they want out of zOMG: new users. The problem being that zOMG is mired in now-defunct/AU plot from 2007/8. New users just won't understand anything about the game. It isn't MADE to attract non-Gaians.

And yet, the lack of new blood is what killed it? How can we possibly fulfill what the staff wants out of zOMG, when the platform was never geared to do what they want?

No wonder they're kicking zOMG out in favor of their new Facebook "High Fantasy" baby.

The prohibitiveness of the context of the game is an issue that I honestly hadn't realised until recently. Of course, that's simply another thing the game could do a better job of teaching - so long as that goal is recognised, any fixes to the tutorial system will hopefully be able to better address the storyline obscurity, as well. sweatdrop

This is, of course, why they've favoured games like MoGa et al - since the games are unrelated to Gaia, the threshold for entry is naturally lower. This is really an issue that would need to be addressed before zOMG! is offered to any larger or more diverse audience, as it simply doesn't make a whole lot of sense to anyone who's not already a Gaian... sweatdrop

Rainbow Hunter

MistressMinako

Red Kutai

The prohibitiveness of the context of the game is an issue that I honestly hadn't realised until recently. Of course, that's simply another thing the game could do a better job of teaching - so long as that goal is recognised, any fixes to the tutorial system will hopefully be able to better address the storyline obscurity, as well. sweatdrop

This is, of course, why they've favoured games like MoGa et al - since the games are unrelated to Gaia, the threshold for entry is naturally lower. This is really an issue that would need to be addressed before zOMG! is offered to any larger or more diverse audience, as it simply doesn't make a whole lot of sense to anyone who's not already a Gaian... sweatdrop

Eh. Maybe we need a spin-off thread with a poll to ask some people's opinion about this.
I can only speak for myself but I just wanted to throw out here that I did not know of the plot outside zOMG! and I enjoyed & understood the game just fine. Didn't bother me in the least.

But maybe I'm weird, I tend to take things like "oh noez the garden gnomes have come to life and turned evil, your goal is to destroy them!!" for granted when I play a game. razz

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff