Welcome to Gaia! ::

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Just in case some of you were interested, but unable to attend, or, like me, had a devil of a time keeping up, here's what the Admin had to say in response to our Raid tonight.
The page is already massively stretched, so I'm just quoting the answers that were given. I think that, in most cases, you'll be able to figure out what the question was.
For what it's worth, I think we totally rocked it!
Lanzer
Hello everyone and welcome to this week's ask the admin thread! Hope everyone had a great time at the Gaia anniversary. We're still hard at work on the Towns update and planning for the next event plus more NPC stories are now under way.

I understand that many were concerned about the state of zOMG, and I'm sorry I don't have a specific solution to announce, but I'd like to share with you where we came from and give everyone a little more insight to where we came from:

Knowing that there are many unanswered questions about zOMG, I know that we owe everyone further explaination about where we came from and how we arrived at the current decision as it stands.

zOMG was a project we created many years ago, with a large team, tons of time, money, and resources, we put in enormous effort trying to make something with lots of depth and gameplay that is deserving of the loyal Gaians waiting for a battle system. Large console titles takes about 10M to 30M to produce, large MMO can cost north of 100M. Creating a complex game is a very expensive endevour and with a tight team our expense was low in comparison, but still quite astounding for a Gaia project. We invested tremendously and at the same time, we put in tons of effort in promoting the game, marketed heavily outside of Gaia, partnered with flash game sites to include zOMG as one of their titles, and hoped for the best as the game press forward.

As the fate of all games, there's a certain element of luck on whether or not the leader of the project comes up with just the right amount of idea, style, and organization to make a game a success. Thousands of games are created each year, only a hand full were ever profitable. zOMG received a warm welcome by Gaians and we had our initial supporters for zOMG, though over the next months, it was clear that the support for zOMG itself could not sustain the team to continue adding features at a fast pace. It's scary to think how many millions would a game need to make to sustain a team of engineers, but removing the math, the bottom line is that there just wasn't enough. Within the gaming industry, the math is pretty clear on what makes a profitable title and what doesn't. We were in a tough place when the numbers didn't add up.

Many of us adore zOMG and the effort we put into the game, and had been constantly putting in effort to maintain the game while trying to add more features on the side. While other companies typically shut down a game the moment they don't see success, we continue to do whatever we can to maintain zOMG because we love the game, and because we know many Gaians enjoy it. Two and a half years after we realized that zOMG couldn't cover the cost of building the game, we still released the DMS update. Not for profit, but only because we wish to entertain the Gaians who deserves more content from zOMG.

As a company, I cannot argue with anyone who thinks that Gaia is "money hungry" or only think about profit. We do think heavily on the bottom line, we do think through how many people should work on which project so that we can earn money. We think like this because every month we work out the math and we are faced with facts such as how much more time can we be in business if we can't make ends meet. We were once faced with hard facts down to the exact number of months that we can operate until we can't pay our staff members anymore and have to shut down. We had to make choices to make the company smaller, and we have to make the choice of making certain titles for wider audience because we would like to keep the lights running.

Despite the constraint in money and resources, Gaia is lucky to have such a great user base and we have the support to have a team dedicated to continue updating core features, creating new events, mini games, and items for the community.

DARKNRGY
There's been some discussion around zOMG that has our attention. We've been listening and this is as good as an opportunity as ever to make things a little bit more official. Normally biglanky14 would do this, but where is he???? DISNEYLAND!

We don't expect that zOMG can experience the kind of growth we want, as a company, compared to some of the other things we could be doing. I don't have a good excuse for the people that love and play zomg and just want for it to be great. Due to the resources it would require to meet expectations, it just made more sense (to us) to try again with something else. Some of the same great people that made zOMG are making new things, which we also hope will be great.

zOMG is one out of a large number of features that require our attention and there are some hard calls to make. Currently, we don't have any plans to add content to zOMG. It is in maintenance mode, which means we intend to keep it up and running. The zOMG following is formidable and we know the community deserves a great deal of respect. We'll do our best to keep things running smooothly and provide support. That's our current plan - nothing more, nothing less. Could the plan change? Of course, who knows. Since we're a little strapped in the Swarf department we're exploring some options for getting some additional help for bug fixing. It's a tricky project to maintain because its infrastructure demands a wide set of knowledge so we value your patience while we figure something out. If the stars line up right, we'd like to work on minor improvements - rings, updates to quests, that sort of thing.

So that's it. There really isn't much more to the story unless you want to go on rumor. Yeah, we wanted a bigger and better zOMG, but we took our shot and weren't satisfied with the results. The window of opportunity has passed and now we want to continue to take a fresh look at online gaming. The more users we can reach, the better production we can provide. We all want something new and shiny. I hope everyone can relate to that just a little bit smile . No matter how you feel about it though, the Gaia team we have now (which right now is a really loyal and passionate group of old skool folks), will continue try and make gaiaonline.com run smooth and for everyone to have as much fun as possible. The same thing I've done every single day of work since May 2004. I'm sorry expectations weren't communicated well and I hope this clears some things up.

Lanzer
zOMG is on maintenance mode and there isn't a clear definition on what we can add to the game, so I don't have a clear answer right now, though as we gather resource we'll be able to have a clear answer for that.

I'll look into having the summon buddies as items. If it's not too hard, we should be able to do it, but we'll have to look and see.

DRKNRGY
Yeah, I know it's frustrating. We wanted zOMG to be more successful and that's why the challenges were laid out. There is a trickle of new users, but the number of users leaving is larger and the total daily users continues to drop. DMS had some effect, but not what we were hoping for. We are not seeing growth or even steady state.

Any money purchased through Gaia goes to Gaia. While we compartmentalize projects in terms of revenues, etc, money from one area is not systematically directed to any particular project.

Development for zOMG is complex from a technical and creative standpoint. Development is just one aspect of production and even that requires specialized knowledge, special tools which are difficult to revive, etc. There are some things that are easy, however, and I'd like to explore those options with the team.

DRKNRGY

When zOMG was launched there was a substantial marketing investment and we promoted it the best we could. Not sure where you got this idea that we didn't try to promote it. We also tried an expansion. Although I do agree that continued expansion and marketing would increase its popularity, that goes without saying. It's not a binary calculation though; the growth would need to proportional or better than our investment.

DRKNRGY

Indeed! One of the options we're going to explore is to bring in someone who's familiar with the system on a contract basis. I'm not happy that it has bugs that interfere with the experience because that's one of our big initiatives right now.

tbc.....

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Continued....
Panagrammic
So, the bug thing has been addressed by both Lanzer and DARKNRGY, but it bears reiterating: we definitely would like to fix bugs. Minor content is also not an impossibility (call it at the level of adding new rings or new quests or whatnot), but major expansions are a pretty serious investment of time and resources.

We looked at porting zOMG to FB, but there are a couple of strikes against it: a) It would be difficult to fit it in into the FB canvas and upgrade it to the FB api. It might require substantial changes to the UI and whatnot. Also, b) the games on FB that tend to do better are spot-engagement, asynchronous games. zOMG requires concentration for longer periods of time, and the other people playing have to be on at the same time, so on and so forth.

The issue with advertising is that advertising for games is very expensive (i.e., $1 / lead or more). In general, we only advertise if we can do break-even or better.

Lanzer

I'm sorry that you felt being mis-treated. It's understandable as zOMG hold so dear to many of us. What I must state is that we did do whatever we can and will continue to do so, and with whatever contributions Gaians made, we hire contractors and involved other staff to make the recent updates possible. You're right, contributions on one of the major items do amount to more than 20k, though the challenge is that a typical senior engineer start at 80k of salary a year, then adding health insurance plus other costs will almost double the cost per engineer for us. Even as the cost is difficult, we'll continue to do whatever we can.

Panagrammic
A lot of these are really hard questions to answer (and some we wouldn't answer, regardless).

Understand that who-is-on-what project is pretty flexible around here, and we change as necessary to meet the demands of the business. So, [JK] is helping out on a new fantasy game, but that doesn't mean that he will never ever ever touch zOMG.

Also understand, per DARKNRGY's response, that bug fixes are definitely something that the team is looking at -- it's not good if the bugs are impinging substantially on the user experience.

In general, first-order revenue for zOMG (i.e., power ups and whatnot) is not more than a few percentage points of overall revenue, although that can vary from month to month (i.e., spike when Bloodstone went on sale). Second-order (i.e., people that buy stuff OTHER than zOMG stuff but stay primarily because of zOMG) is very hard to estimate; not sure there's a rigorous way of answering that question.

When we were evaluating new content (other than DMS -- DMS was partially completed already from previous efforts), the estimates ran about one to two man years, all told. Kind of depends on what you put in it, of course.

DRKNRG
You might very well be right. Second Life looked like it was done and then they reinvested and brought it back. The question is a little bit larger than having a successful plot, good game mechanics, a solid community. The market is constantly changing, the demographic shifting, truly brutal. I have a dream for a game (totally unrelated to Gaia) which I think would be the best game ever, but it will never happen because there is no market for a spaceship FPS right now.

Lanzer
We'd love to do more for Gaians but one challenge we have is that we had been building features and event for 9 years now. With 3 dozen games and features it is an impossible task to update everything at once, and unfortunately most updates are done when it's overdue for an update.

At Gaia we continue to have a team that's focused on serving Gaia members, while there are other teams building other things. It's a simple equation where Gaiaonline can support X number of devs and artists, while other titles can support Y number of devs. If we don't make other games, we would not have X+Y number of staff in the company, and we would only have X number of staff on board. Hope that makes sense...

Lanzer
Recycling is much easier. Last time we recycled a zOMG event, though, there were many complaints IIRC.

DRKNRG

The shot we took was ... well, the whole production and launch and subsequent promotion. DMS was another shot, but we didn't go into with the same level of confidence. As far as result satisfaction, the goal posts moved around quite a bit. Originally we didn't envision such a comprehensive MMO, but that is what the scope eventually provided. At that point our expectations increased to include user base growth, revenue, outside acquisition. I personally would have liked to see about 5X as much overall activity in all of those areas. I wasn't in a position to make the decision and I don't know exactly what metrics were used.

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
I love this post from DRKENRGY:

Any money purchased through Gaia goes to Gaia. While we compartmentalize projects in terms of revenues, etc, money from one area is not systematically directed to any particular project.

So basically all our purchases for zOMG specific stuff didn't go towards zOMG at all. So all those limited edition Amulets were all just a clever way of saying we need money, so let's say it goes to zOMG, but we will use it for a new Shiny FB game instead.

Savage Fairy

24,600 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
azndreams
I love this post from DRKENRGY:

So basically all our purchases for zOMG specific stuff didn't go towards zOMG at all. So all those limited edition Amulets were all just a clever way of saying we need money, so let's say it goes to zOMG, but we will use it for a new Shiny FB game instead.
Fail. xp

Shameless Hoarder

16,700 Points
  • Champion 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
Well, as you can see, we did get some answers.
Unfortunately not as many answers as we had questions, but.....
Personally, I found it gratifying to see so many of us actually put our money where our mouths are, and not only attend the ATA, but obviously put a lot of thought into asking some excellent questions.

This is at least a place for the next round of discussions to begin.

Conservative Citizen

I must be dumb, because I'm a bit offset by this statement in particular: DARKNRGY

"We all want something new and shiny."

Shiny things are in fact nice, but when a website is looking to generate revenue, or any business for that matter isn't jumping from item to item or project to project a bad sign? Isn't failing ventures potentially disastrous to potential investors and people advertising on your site? Doesn't it make more sense to complete or at least be rid of things that don't work? There are dozens if not a hundred glitchy problems in a variety of programs on Gaia. As a potential customer, this site wreaks of unfinished and unsuccessful ideas.

Don't you want a loyal customer base that doesn't jump to new, shiny objects? People who run to shiny objects don't stay on sites very long. What's kept Gaia going is the sheer number of supporters who have been here over the years. Don't put your loyalty out on the street.

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
.~.Lady_Aji.~.

I fail?

Bloodthirsty Demon

24,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100
From what WaltDisneyHearts has mentioned in the other thread, we should bring up glitches in-game for the next ATA. If they want to start doing Minor Updates, give them something to update. Quests for BB. Difficulty settings for DMS. Quest Chain Glitches, Silent NPC Glitches, etc.

Bloodthirsty Demon

24,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100
Spifficated
I must be dumb, because I'm a bit offset by this statement in particular: DARKNRGY

"We all want something new and shiny."

Shiny things are in fact nice, but when a website is looking to generate revenue, or any business for that matter isn't jumping from item to item or project to project a bad sign? Isn't failing ventures potentially disastrous to potential investors and people advertising on your site? Doesn't it make more sense to complete or at least be rid of things that don't work? There are dozens if not a hundred glitchy problems in a variety of programs on Gaia. As a potential customer, this site wreaks of unfinished and unsuccessful ideas.

Don't you want a loyal customer base that doesn't jump to new, shiny objects? People who run to shiny objects don't stay on sites very long. What's kept Gaia going is the sheer number of supporters who have been here over the years. Don't put your loyalty out on the street.
I'm going to quote your last sentence for ATA. I hope you won't mind. sweatdrop

Savage Fairy

24,600 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
azndreams
.~.Lady_Aji.~.

I fail?
Talking about DRKENRGY's post.

Savage Fairy

24,600 Points
  • Restorative Spirit 250
  • Tenacious Spirit 250
  • Vicious Spirit 250
Brooklyn Rage Mage
From what WaltDisneyHearts has mentioned in the other thread, we should bring up glitches in-game for the next ATA. If they want to start doing Minor Updates, give them something to update. Quests for BB. Difficulty settings for DMS. Quest Chain Glitches, Silent NPC Glitches, etc.
Yes.

Invisible Consumer

25,125 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Healer 50
Spifficated
What's kept Gaia going is the sheer number of supporters who have been here over the years. Don't put your loyalty out on the street.

I love that.

Barton Sweetheart

Brooklyn Rage Mage

Oddly enough I did mention the glitches in my post as well as stuff that has been posted by Devs in regards to new areas and what to become of them, it was skipped but Im back next week and asking not going to back down.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff